IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Bacula Enterprise OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Bacula Enterprise is #19 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Bacula Enterprise an average rating of 9.2 out of 10. Bacula Enterprise is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Bacula Enterprise vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Bacula Enterprise is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 30% of all views.

Download the Backup and Recovery Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Bacula Enterprise?

Bacula Enterprise is a highly scalable, especially robust and secure data backup and recovery software. Its unique low cost subscription model empowers data centers to truly escape data volume price traps. With a high degree of flexibility and customizability, Bacula offers native integration with a wide range of hypervisors, databases, file systems, cloud interfaces and containers. High numbers of enterprise organizations worldwide (incl. NASA, Bank of Austria, Swisscom or Sky PLC) have adopted Bacula Enterprise backup software in mission critical environments because of its advanced features and ability to handle high data volume at very low cost.

Bacula Enterprise Customers

NASA, SwissCom, Navisite, Turner Studios, Bank Austria, Caixa Bank, SdV Plurimedia, Leibniz University Hannover, Zeta Global, Tricore, NetLog, Siemens, LocaWeb, wbsGo, itesys, Queens School of Computing, Escrypt.

Bacula Enterprise Video

Archived Bacula Enterprise Reviews (more than two years old)

Director tecnico at Blemia
A stable solution that works well with Linux servers
  • "Bacula is pretty stable."
  • "Bacula needs a graphical user interface because, for administrators, the command-line interface is okay, but for the average user it is not very easy."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the backup products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support for Linux servers.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup and site configuration should be easier.

I began working with Bacula Enterprise about five years ago.

Backup and Recovery Software
August 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Bacula Systems, Veeam Software, Commvault and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: August 2022.
622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Bacula is pretty stable.

I have not had any problems, so I have not needed to contact technical support.

I have experience with different backup and recovery solutions. I have used Veeam as well as BorgBackup.

The initial setup is very complex. It can be deployed in a few hours, although it will take about a month for testing and fine-tuning.

One of our customers recently implemented a virtualized environment with VMware and consequently migrated away from Bacula to Veeam. It was not a question of being satisfied with Bacula; rather, they were interested in moving to a newer platform.

They had been in an environment with physical servers and tape backups and with the move to virtualization, Veeam was more useful for them.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of Bacula Enterprise depends on the environment and user requirements. In general, I recommend it.

ICT Manager at Land Srl
Easy to use, stable, and offers many tools and features
  • "It works great and it provides you with several standard tools to restore your backup, even after a big failure."
  • "Easier setup and configuration, perhaps including a GUI, would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We have three central servers, each one backing up the machines on their respective site. We have a combination of servers and other storage devices.

It is a standard backup solution where we have an incremental backup every night. We do a differential backup on Sundays and then a full backup on a monthly basis. We also do a restore task once a month to verify the backup.

How has it helped my organization?

A few years ago, we had a big crash that involved one of the backup servers. We were able to fully restore the backup, even after losing the indexes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its ease of use. It works great and it provides you with several standard tools to restore your backup, even after a big failure.

What needs improvement?

The interface needs to be easier for adding new devices to be managed. It is easy for a skilled person to use, but for others who are not as skilled from a technical perspective, it is not as easy to manage. It is not the type of solution where you can just keep clicking on the Next button.

The file deduplication capability needs to be improved.

I have been using Barracuda Backup for more than 12 years.

We have not had any issues with the stability of Barracuda Backup.

We have been able to cover all of our use cases. I would say that it is suitable for small and medium-sized companies.

We have never had a need to contact technical support.

The initial setup is not difficult for a technical person. Our deployment took a couple of days.

Our internal team maintains this solution.

This is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to take your time and have patience with the initial setup and configuration. Once it is set up properly, it is a good system to use. If, on the other hand, you are really eager and want to use this solution in five minutes then it is not a good system for you. Once you get through the learning phase, it is very good.

Overall, this is a good solution but there are a few small features missing. Because it is open-source, it is somewhat slower to follow the standards set by similar commercial products.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Backup and Recovery Software
August 2022
622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's flexibility makes it so easy to adapt to almost any environment
For how long have you used this product? - I have used this product for many years now open-source and commercial Which features of this product are most valuable to you? - It's flexibility makes it so easy to adapt to almost any environment Can you give an example of how this product has improved the way your organization functions? - We not have to worry about our backups anymore, there is now a daily backup on disk and on tape and we get notified if something went wrong What areas of this product have room for improvement? - It's not easy to configure. There is a graphical interface to configure it but it costs a lot Did you encounter any issues with deployment, stability or scalability? - Nope, it is so flexible that it can almost do anything besides that it is hard to configure Did you previously use a different solution and if so, why did you switch? - Before we tried out other solutions but Bacula gave us the flexibility and stability that we wanted Before choosing this product, did you evaluate other options? If so, which ones? - Zmanda was one of the other options How would you rate the level of customer service and technical support? - So far no support was needed from Bacula Enterprise however when we implemented this solution at our customers we had once an issue and Bacula Enterprise helped us very well to solve it. Was the initial setup straightforward or complex? In what ways? - The initial setup is not to difficult to install. There is a good online guide configuring however is another issue as it is text based with lots of configuration parameters available What is your ROI on this product? - It all depends if you use the free version or the one with the support and extra plugins some plugins can be quite expensive for a small company but most of the time this solution is still much cheaper then other commercial solutions. What was your original setup cost for this product and what is your day-to-day cost of using this product? - For our company the open-source solution was more then adequate no extra plugins where needed What advice would you give to others looking into implementing this product? - Play first with the open-source version so that you have an idea about needed plugins and the learning curve before you buy it and implement it by yourself or look for a vendor that can implement it for you. Disclosure: The company I work for is partners with several vendors (including Bacula Systems) - http://www.open-future.be/solutions/partners
it_user2652 - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Popular
Is Bacula open source? Can we use it

Is Bacula open source? Can we use it for mysql hot backup? I am looking for solutions for hotbackup of mysql. Could you please tell utilities supported for mysql hot backup?

it_user2652 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user2652Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
PopularVendor

Thanks Patrik. Looks like we need to buy enterprise support for Bacula to use it for hot backup of mysql.

Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Bacula Systems, Veeam Software, Commvault, and more!
Updated: August 2022