Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Aqua Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Aqua Security is #5 ranked solution in Container Security Solutions and #6 ranked solution in top Cloud-Native Application Protection Platforms (CNAPP) tools. PeerSpot users give Aqua Security an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. Aqua Security is most commonly compared to Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks: Aqua Security vs Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks. Aqua Security is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Container Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Aqua Security?

Aqua Security is a cloud-native security platform that helps protect applications from attack - from development to production, across VMs, containers, and serverless workloads, up and down the stack. The solution provides prevention, detection, and response automation across the entire application lifecycle to secure the supply chain, secure cloud infrastructure, and secure running workloads wherever they are deployed.

Aqua Security Features

Aqua Security has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Vulnerability scanning
  • Serverless security
  • VM security
  • Cloud workloads protection

Aqua Security Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Aqua Security. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Designed for scale and performance: The Aqua Security platform was designed to scale to the largest environments in order to protect huge clusters and massive DevOps pipelines.
  • Empowers DevOps to detect issues early and fix them fast: The solution was designed to help you solve issues immediately - before they cause greater damage to your organization. It helps you gain insight into your vulnerability posture and prioritize remediation and mitigation according to contextual risk.
  • Automated compliance and security posture: Aqua Security checks your cloud services, Infrastructure-as-code templates, and Kubernetes setup against best practices and standards. This way, you can ensure the infrastructure you run your applications on is securely configured and in compliance.
  • Artifact scanning: The Aqua Security platform scans artifacts for vulnerabilities, malware, and other risks during development and staging. It allows you to set flexible and dynamic policies to control deployment into your runtime environments.
  • Minimizes false positives: Aqua Security relies on a variety of sources and proprietary research to curate and present vulnerabilities in the most accurate way, which helps to minimize false positives and unnecessary noise in the pipeline.
  • Automated security testing: The Aqua Security platform automates security testing in your CI/CD pipeline, and continuously scans registries and serverless function stores to detect emerging risks. By implementing the platform, you can get actionable feedback within your CI environments to empower your organization’s developers to fix issues rapidly.
  • Granular controls: The solution provides protection for your VM, container, and serverless workloads using granular controls with instant visibility and real-time detection and response.
  • Sandboxed environment: With Aqua Security, you can run images in a secure sandboxed environment that traces indicators of compromise (IOCs) such as container escapes, reverse shell backdoors, malware drops, code injection backdoors, and network anomalies.

Reviews from Real Users

Lizeth Z., Cloud Security Specialist at Telstra, says, “Aqua Security is the most advanced solution in the market for container security. Aqua Security allows us to check for vulnerabilities in the CI/CD pipeline, so application teams can remediate issues before going into production. Aqua Security helps us to check the vulnerability of image assurance and check for malware.”

Aqua Security Customers

HomeAway

Aqua Security Video

Aqua Security Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Aqua Security pricing:
"Aqua Security is not cheap, and it's not very expensive, such as Splunk, they are in the middle."

Aqua Security Reviews

MohammedAsad - PeerSpot reviewer
DevSecOps Engineer at Foodhub
Easy to set up with robust documentation and good image scanning
  • "The solution was very user-friendly."
  • "It's a bit hard to use the user roles. That was a bit confusing."

What is our primary use case?

We did very little with Aqua, basically. We only used Aqua for the image scanning and document scanning and that's it. Since I was working on a DevSecOps project, I was asked to find how complicated it was comparatively, for example, which is more complicated, whether the Aqua or Prisma, and how fast these things could be churned out or integrated into an existing pipeline, or when you create a new pipeline, how fast these things work. I had to experiment with these things.

In our scenario, we were creating pipelines for Infrastructure as Code. Our pipeline would be doing the scanning for all infrastructure code. In that code, if any image is mentioned, we would pick them up, we would scan them, and that's where we'll be using Aqua or Prisma. We have created items with both of those. One of the pipelines which had Aqua would be scanning and finding the vulnerabilities inside the image.

What is most valuable?

The image security and image scanning were quite easy compared to Prisma. The solution was very user-friendly.

It is easy to set up.

It's stable.

The documentation was robust.

It's easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

I don't recall coming across any missing features.

It's a bit hard to use the user roles. That was a bit confusing. That was from the interface side, the application from which we logged into Aqua. That needs a bit of improving. The admin was a bit confusing.

I've used the solution for a couple of months, maybe.

Container Security
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Aqua Security, Palo Alto Networks, Sysdig and others in Container Security. Updated: September 2022.
634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is good. It is reliable. There are no bugs or glitches.

I did not try to scale the solution.

We had 20 to 30 people on the solution.

In my team, we had five members using it - the DevSecOps team. We were on the integration side of it. There might have been two to three project teams, basically, who used to used the pipelines, which we created for them.

We did not use support. We never came across any issues.

I was working for Computer Software Corporation, CSC corporation, as a contract employee. There, we were asked to do a research on various cloud security applications. That's where we came in contact with Aqua. We were trying to do apple to apple comparison of Prisma and Aqua.

We felt Aqua is good and we even recommended Aqua to be used - rather than Prisma.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

If it is deployed from scratch, the documentation is pretty straightforward. We just followed the steps and we were able to do it. There were no unexpected bugs or any other issues we faced. Everything was quite straightforward.

I'd rate the solution four out of five in terms of the initial setup.

Maintenance was taken care. Maintenance was good there. It doesn't need any more effort. What we used was the latest one, a stable version, and since we were dealing with a corporate organization, we wanted stable versions to be always tested.

We did the implementation in-house.

I'm not sure of the exact pricing. I cannot speak of the exact costs. The company already had a licensed version.

What other advice do I have?

We were working with the latest version of the solution.

We had a cloud dashboard to see our stuff, basically. We used it on-prem; however, once the scanning is done, the results would be posted on that platform. That's where we used to go and see the information.

It's fast to implement and straightforward. It works for all brackets. I'd recommend it to others.

I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Head - Cybersecurity at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Valuable on-demand patching, but the licensing model could be better
  • "Their sandboxing service is also really good."
  • "Aqua Security lacks a lot in reporting."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the on-demand patching. There are times when vulnerabilities don't have available fixes, and Aqua Security allows it to pass the vulnerability in real-time while the fix is being developed.

Their sandboxing service is also really good. When we download an open source tool, we can run it in a sandbox environment and see if there are any back holes or trap doors in the code. However, we don't like that their services are in the US.

What needs improvement?

Aqua Security lacks a lot in reporting. It provides all the open issues, but no actionable solution is provided. There's no intelligence behind the reporting, so that can be improved. Also, it could be a cheaper solution. However, it is costly because it's a very small market and the first of its kind.

Regarding additional features, we would like to see better log ingestion. For example, if we have an EDR or a SOC, we want the SOC, the cloud and the container security to interact better. That means the cloud should have better ingestion of logs and SOC logs and be able to give more heuristic analysis of security issues rather than just ones and zeros.

The licensing model could be better because it has a scalable container environment. If we're working in a small environment, it is fine, but if we have a large environment, we can't predict the traffic for the day. If the marketing team decides to launch a campaign with high traffic, then we won't have licenses available for all our ports. Therefore, the licensing model needs to be rethought, and we can't have per-port licenses because ports can increase.

We have been using this solution for over a year. It is a managed service and deployed on cloud.

It is a good solution and is stable. Their services are good, and they provide good responses. If there are business-related issues, they will contact you and answer your questions on priority.

Swisslog and Aqua Security work with a very similar pricing model as they have an agent deployed in a cluster that covers all the containers or namespaces in that cluster. Now, if clusters are also scalable, which is the case in containers, the number of licenses consumed increases.

Aqua Security charges per license. So we usually take their licenses in our testing and QA environment. However, we limit it in the production environment because, in QA testing, our environment expands and collapses because developers are testing. So in production, we can forecast how many licenses we may need in the future.

However, if there is no production system, we cannot account for the number of fraud and containers and we will have to pay through the roof for these solutions because they charge for containers per port for every single agent they deploy.

About 20 to 30 people use Aqua Security from the DevOps and security team. They use the solution because they handle the infrastructure and security.

The technical support is good, and they reply on time.

The initial setup was easy.

I rate the price a four out of ten, with one being a high price and ten being a reasonable price. It is a costly solution.

Aqua Security is an on-demand service. Swisslog just launched a product, but it is not as good as Aqua Security in terms of accuracy. Swisslog is integrated with the package and with Aqua Security, you need to pay more for the first scan.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Container Security
September 2022
634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SedatKandemir - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Cloud Architect at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Effective scanner, scalable in our usage, and reliable
  • "The most valuable feature of Aqua Security is the scanner."
  • "Aqua Security could improve the forwarding of logging into Splunk and into other tools, it should be easier."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly used Aqua Security for container-related Kubernetes security in the CI/CD pipelines to secure the runtime of the Kubernetes clusters.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Aqua Security is the scanner.

What needs improvement?

Aqua Security could improve the forwarding of logging into Splunk and into other tools, it should be easier.

In the future, Aqua Security should work on minimizing its footprint because it consumes a lot of resources on the cluster itself. We are receiving a lot of logs out of it, but there was some problem with receiving the events in the right order. It should also concentrate on not only collecting logs but events, traces,  and somehow into the metrics side.

I have been using Aqua Security for approximately two years.

Aqua Security is stable.

Aqua Security has been scalable in our usage.

Our setup was not very big, we had approximately 20 clusters and one central cluster. It scaled enough and we distribute it to the clusters, the enforcers on the nodes, it's a combination of centralized and distributed solution. I didn't use it over more than 20 clusters.

I have used the technical support from Aqua Security. We had some issues we had to solve ourselves.

I rate the support from Aqua Security a three out of five.

We previously used Red Hat and Prisma Cloud. Prisma Cloud was too expensive and Red Hat security is more similar to risk management, not risk posture management, and is not a real security tool. We decided on Aqua Security.

The initial setup of Aqua Security is simple if you know some helm charts work.

Aqua Security is not cheap, and it's not very expensive, such as Splunk, they are in the middle.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Aqua Security an eight out of ten.

Lizeth Zuluaga - PeerSpot reviewer
Cloud Security Specialist at Telstra
The most advanced solution in the market for container security

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In the next release, Aqua Security should add the ability to automatically send reports to customers.

I've been using Aqua Security for between two to three years.

Aqua Security's stability is very good.

Aqua Security can be scaled up and down depending on your needs.

Aqua Security's technical support is usually quite responsive.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

There were some challenges with the initial setup.

We used an in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

Aqua Security is the most advanced solution in the market for container security. I would rate it as eight out of ten.

Lakshman Nimmakayala - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Cloud Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution that offers good scalability but lacks overview-style visibility

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for all of our network security.

What is most valuable?

The container security element of this product has been very valuable to our organization.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see an improvement in the overview visibility that this solution offers.

The runtime security element of this solution could also be improved, in order for it to be more universally usable.

We have been using this solution for five or six years.

We have found this solution to be stable.

Scalability isn't an issue with this solution.

Before choosing this solution we also evaluated Snyk.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Container Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about Aqua Security, Palo Alto Networks, Sysdig, and more!
Updated: September 2022