Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Ubiquiti WLAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Ubiquiti WLAN is #5 ranked solution in top Wireless LAN tools. PeerSpot users give Ubiquiti WLAN an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Ubiquiti WLAN is most commonly compared to Aruba Wireless: Ubiquiti WLAN vs Aruba Wireless. Ubiquiti WLAN is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 47% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 31% of all views.
Ubiquiti WLAN Buyer's Guide

Download the Ubiquiti WLAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Ubiquiti WLAN?

UniFi is a revolutionary Wi-Fi system that combines Enterprise performance, unlimited scalability, a central management controller and disruptive pricing.

Ubiquiti WLAN Customers

NASCAR Grand-AM, Maritime Parc, Outdoor Music Festival, One Republic Tour, British Armed Forces, Arcadia School District, Bartlett School District, Universidad del Azuay, Estelar Hotels, Intercontinental Bali, Moscow - Enforta, Miami - Sling Broadband, Manhattan - MST, Ecuador - Aire.EC

Ubiquiti WLAN Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Ubiquiti WLAN pricing:
  • "This product is more cost-effective than some others on the market."
  • "It is a stand-alone price."
  • "Ubiquiti WLAN is fairly well priced and available as a one-time purchase."
  • Ubiquiti WLAN Reviews

Henrique Barjas - PeerSpot reviewer
    Infrastructure Manager at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
    Robust, easy to install, easy to deploy, and has good visibility
    • "You can save backups of this controller locally and then I can export it to wherever I want."
    • "I have never used cloud solutions. My first approach would be something related to the cloud, and backups on the cloud, and maybe an easier way to connect to it because I have an on-premises environment."

What is our primary use case?

It's a WLAN solution. I can provide access point management for the whole corporation.

We are not physically installing a single site, we have a few branches across the nation, and I can manage them in a single point.

I have a few SSIDs that broadcast to specific sites.

I can manage the login, and I have it integrated to make it easier for my clients. They don't need to use passwords, it is based on a certificate that is on my domain.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I really like is the backup. You can save backups of this controller locally and then I can export it to wherever I want.

It notifies me when I have to update the access points. It is consistently roaming my environment and alerts me when it is not up-to-date, or if it requires my attention.

For example, it alerts me, if there is an access point that is conflicting with another access point outside of my organization and is using the same channel.

It includes a heat map, which is pretty good. I can import an image with my company or my site, and delimitate the spaces, such as where the wood is, or concrete, brick, glass and few other materials, all with built-in options on the tool. I can pin my devices won where they were installed and we know exactly the broadcast intensity of the signal.

The heat map is a nice troubleshoot tool, that helps me to manage the solution and understand if there is a complaint regarding a co-ordinant. For example, if someone complains that the Wi-Fi is not connected in some place of my sites, I can check the heat map and shows me the proper signal strength on that specific place, I know then, that where I should act, on my AP or on the client's connection to evaluate the network card for the user.

The heat map is always working well.

It has good visibility.

This solution gives me a lot of power to manage the WLAN for my company.

Ubiquiti WLAN is a very robust product to use.

They have a feature that allows you to wirelessly connect between them. If for example, the Wi-Fi has a poor connection with the network, it will look for a partner, and select the wireless from there, or if I don't have data cabling on the local, I can simply connect it into the eletric network and it will work as a wireless extension from any other devices. We barely have outages with the solution and I requires a minimal attention/effort to keep running.

What needs improvement?

For me there is little room for improvement on my scenario, I have never used cloud solutions or had a glance on it.

The improvement I see right now as a good feature is firmware related, if I were able to re-firmware my legacy/old Ubiquiti AP's with a generic new firmware, this would definitely extend the life-cycle of my older assets that still work smoothly, It would allow me to avoid some hardware expenses within years and keep my environment up-to-date.

Another nice improvement for this would be a seamless integration with PowerBi from Microsoft to generate dashboards and aggregate the info on Infrastructure reports easier.

I have been using Ubiquiti WLAN for approximately two years.

We are using the most updated version, which is version 6.0

Ubiquiti WLAN
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Ubiquiti WLAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We had two instances where the controller was down, but that was due to a server issue.

The controller and access points are pretty stable.

In my environment, I currently have 20 access points. In the beginning, we had 15 or 16 access points, we already had close to 30 in the close passando, and now we are running around 20.

In my experience, this platform scales pretty well. I have not scaled it to hundreds of access points, so I am not sure if it can scale for larger enterprise companies the same way it has for us.

I have never contacted technical support.

I have experience with the Ubiquiti UniFi solution. I have been working with it for three years. It's pretty stable.

I have also, worked with Hewlett Packard and Cisco.

The command line breaks the point for troubleshooting and for managing the information, as mostly things are done using a GUI on Ubiquiti, it really gets way easier to identify the issue sometimes.

It was easy to set up. I would rate it an eight out of ten.

It was only two hours to deploy.

It is very easy to manage the solution.

It doe not cost much, I could say that it delivers a nice pack for what it costs.

What other advice do I have?

Ubiquiti itself, is a good company to start with.

Ubiquiti is the best choice for small companies because of the easy installation, their variety of products, and their integration, and you can manage all of your devices from a single controller.

As of right now, I don't have any switches, just Ubiquiti access points, and a controller, but we can manage any device that is manufactured by the same vendor. This is a great feature to have.

I, personally, have never used the switches. I am not sure what the capabilities of it are, or what the throughput is.

If you are a small or medium-sized company, it will ease your life. It will present you with dashboard, and management capabilities.

I haven't seen that ease with other vendors. Ubiquiti offers you a simple way to manage it.

I don't know if it can be used in large companies, where you have large environments to manage, or with data centers or services that you offer on a large scale (over 200 AP/switch devices).

I would rate Ubiquiti WLAN a nine out of ten.

Owner at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
    Stable, easy to deploy and manage, and fewer access points are needed when compared to other vendors
    • "The most beneficial thing about Ubiquiti is that it is simple to deploy."
    • "The downside is the interface changes, where they are constantly doing firmware updates."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the Ubiquiti WLAN is one of the networking products that we implement for our customers. We have worked with different versions including the AC Pro HD, the HD, and the XD.

I have set up and manage multiple sites. There are 45 access points deployed all over a billion square feet.

What is most valuable?

The most beneficial thing about Ubiquiti is that it is simple to deploy. I found that the access points were easy to identify on the network and they came over easily, which was an upside.

What needs improvement?

The downside is the interface changes, where they are constantly doing firmware updates. I often felt like I was being pushed into updates, in spite of it already working. In my mind, it also raises a red flag because you have to wonder why they keep changing the firmware. You can decide to ignore the update, but then if you move the access point then it will update automatically anyway. This is a little bit of control that you give up. So, while it is easy to deploy, all of these things that happen in the background make me uncomfortable.

I have been working with Ubiquiti in general for several years, but specifically with WLAN for the past two to three years.

The Ubiquiti WLAN is very stable, although if I don't update it, I feel a lot better.

The technical support is not good. We did get help, but I didn't have a good feeling about it.  By comparison, it isn't the level of support that you would get from Cisco or Aruba.

I would say that they have improved from when I started with them a few years ago and that they are getting better. In fact, it's a lot better, and also, the need for calling technical support has been reduced as well. By comparison, we call Fortinet for technical support more often. With Fortinet, we often joke that you wait on hold for so long that you've fixed the problem before you even speak with somebody about the issue.

Another comparison is with Meraki; with them, you get them on the phone quickly and they fix the problem. That's it.

I have experience with products from several vendors. Some examples are EnGenius, Fortinet, Cisco, Juniper, Aruba, and Cisco Meraki.  There are differences between them and some of my colleagues are upset with the security levels that are offered by some of the other vendors.

For example, if you want to compare Juniper to Cisco, Cisco settings are not as secure. The group settings are much higher in terms of encryption on the Juniper than on the Meraki. And, if you want better security, which is group 14, you can't do that unless you call them up and they actually set it for you. So that's on the Meraki side, or Cisco.

In terms of support or how things actually happen under the hood, some people liked Meraki the best. I am leaning towards liking Meraki more, but there are some drawbacks. As far as the support is concerned, or the overall experience with the solution, Ubiquiti is simple and easy and inexpensive. You go to Meraki or you go to Aruba or you go to the others, it's a lot more money.

For many years, I use the EnGenius products for Wi-Fi. Pretty much all the access points we were selling to our clients were the EnGenius brand. Then we went to Ubiquiti and I was happy because it was much easier, I can manage it in one place, it's better, and I don't have to update things as much if I choose not to. With EnGenius, I never changed anything. I set it once, and I forgot it, and there's something to be said for that. You just set it and forget it and leave it. But the EnGenius, if you have to do troubleshooting then it is quite a problem because the management is terrible.

We implement and deploy network solutions for our customers. This includes setting up the physical access points, then configuring them by adding them to access groups, making sure that the channels don't conflict with other devices, and so forth.

The deployment and models depend on the density of the access points in the space.

This product is more cost-effective than some others on the market.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Ubiquiti is to first make sure that you have a good plan first. Make sure that you have done your homework in terms of the space where it will be installed. The best is if you're replacing the existing solution, you should still review the placement. The reason is that nine times out of ten, you'll use fewer Ubiquiti devices than you would if you were using Aruba, or Meraki, or some other brand.

You don't need to buy as many, even though with the budget you have you can buy twice as many access points for the same money you would spend on Meraki, but it's overkill. You don't need that many. So, be conservative about the number of access points that are put out there. This is to say that you have to do a really good survey.

Look for metal plating, look for the line of sight access, so that you put the access points where they can actually see each other. Make sure that the access points are not too close to each other, but not too far away. That's the whole thing. I go with 50 or 75 feet away, in tight spaces.

Overall, I feel that this is a good product.

Ubiquiti WLAN
    September 2022
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Manager Infrastructure at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Competitive pricing with an easy initial setup but needs better technical support
    • "The pricing is very competitive and the feature sets are very good. It compares well against more expensive options."
    • "The support needs improvement. The official support is kind of complex. It's not that straightforward compared to Cisco and Aruba."

What is most valuable?

The configuration is straightforward.

The initial set up is easy. All solutions at this point, at a basic level, are very similar in terms of features and items of that nature.

What needs improvement?

The support needs improvement. The official support is kind of complex. It's not that straightforward compared to Cisco and Aruba. Their support is probably so much better. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for an alternative solution.

You may find a lack of features compared to Cisco, or other options. For example, on Cisco or Aruba you've been able to find the Wi-Fi 6 access point for a long time now. If you have set up a new solution, you probably will look for something with Wi-Fi 6 coverage. Ubiquiti at that point didn't have it. Now they have it. I checked their website and they do have Wi-Fi 6 support. However, it's clear that they are behind on some pretty standard aspects.

If you're talking about enterprise-level coverage, you likely have many locations. Ubiquiti can handle this, however, it's a bit complicated. To compare another solution, Meraki cloud has a cloud controller. Ubiquiti has a cloud controller, however, it requires some other stuff and probably an appliance that you need to have in order to have this centralized solution control. Cisco is more straightforward and easier to manage at this point.

If you were to compare solutions in general, Cisco is a step forward. Again, there are no big differences. It's just these minor details. However, overall, it makes a difference, depending on your requirements.

When I started to compare other solutions it was due to the fact that I do have technical issues with this product. There seems to be interference between the channels of the solutions. What I was told is that Ubiquiti can set up the channels automatically in order to avoid interference between channels, especially on 2.4 large coverage. That's fine, however, I heard that Cisco, for example, does have the option to do it automatically for APs. If there's a conflict between channels, and interferences become a big issue on your network, they will automatically adjust. That feature is not available on Ubiquiti. That is probably one of the reasons why I do have some technical issues regarding the overall experience.

The solution has okay stability.

I've had issues with technical support.

When it came to dealing with interference, they weren't upfront about the issues caused by too many APs being set up. I didn't really get a timely response from Ubiquiti. It took too long to get into contact with them. Their worldwide support just isn't as good as, for example, Cisco.

I'm in South America. That means, if I have an issue, I can call Cisco and have expert help in 24 hours or less. Ubiquiti doesn't have that kind of turnaround. They can't help you solve things very quickly.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward and very similar to any solution of this nature. A company shouldn't have issues implementing it.

The relationship between the cost versus performance is probably the reason this is the best solution from a pricing perspective. It's pretty cheap and has the best features if you were to compare it to others.

We haven't switched yet, however, we are looking for new options.

I have issues with interference and I'm looking for products that offer solutions to help me avoid this. I've looked at Cisco, and they seem to be able to adjust automatically if interference is detected.

I've also looked at Aruba, and I've found that comparing the three, Cisco and Aruba are much more mature solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I've run an internal audit about the company's Wi-Fi solution properties, all the main metrics about the solution. I was told that there was interference between the channels due to the fact that we have many floors and the floors are where the conflict comes in. Even though the channels were set up automatically by the solution, there were too many APs on the same floor, and that caused the interference to become an issue. It was not caused by the specific solution, however, the fact that their solution was not capable of fixing that automatically or doing something to let me know that that problem was being caused by too many APs density was not the best response.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. We've had problems with interference, however, that issue aside, the value you get in terms of features and pricing is quite good. It's not the most mature solution, however, it does offer a pretty good set of features overall.

Owner at Platinum I.C.T.
    Offers free management with good documentation and an easy initial setup
    • "All of the interfacing is very good."
    • "Largely we're happy with the product, however, the firmware deployments could maybe be managed a little bit differently."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution with all of my clients.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a pretty simple approach to WLAN.

You can manage it for free. It's just a one-off purchase.

It offers a very good hotspot manager where you can manage vouchers, credit, et cetera, right from Windows. It makes it very easy.

Everyone wants to buy a Cisco or Aruba or one of the other products, due to the fact that they have all these nice features. However, at the end of the day, they never use them. Most of the clients never use the features that they're paying a lot more money for, whereas with Ubiquiti I certainly wouldn't say that is the case.

All of the interfacing is very good.

The solution offers very nice documentation.

The initial setup is quite easy.

What needs improvement?

Room for improvement could likely happen in small areas. Largely we're happy with the product, however, the firmware deployments could maybe be managed a little bit differently.

I would like it if there was a better way of integrating the hotspot manager into payment gateways. When you run a desk metric, it would be nice to have integration into payment gateways so people can buy bandwidth themselves, on your wireless network.

I've only been working with the solution for about a year or so. It's been a short amount of time.

The solution is very stable. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The companies we work for range from small to large. Some are game lodges. Others are bigger organizations.

I've never really had to engage with technical support. We never really had any issues. In fact, we've only had one issue and their technical support in my opinion was very good. They came back to us quickly. They didn't take a week or whatever to respond. I would say their expertise and their willingness to help and assist is definitely there. We're satisfied with the level of support they provide.

I've worked with Aruba in the past. I've worked on some projects lately where you go to some clients that have Aruba installed. I just find that the interfaces, and the set-up, and the manageability of the network is pretty complex with Aruba. The license cost - to actually maintain it, is fairly exorbitant. I don't see the benefit of Aruba compared to Ubiquiti.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very easy. There are obviously little places you can play with and learn about, for example, certain little benefits and features that you can enable or disable. However, if you want to get the WiFi network going on Ubiquiti, you just follow the wizard, and everything will just happen. You don't have to get too fancy.

We are installers. We can install the solution for our clients.

The pricing of the solution is fairly reasonable. There are other solutions, such as Aruba, that cost much more, and I don't see any extra features and benefits that a client gets for the cost difference.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers and installers.

My advice to other companies considering this product would be to get a consultant in order to do a proper site survey. Planning is super-important, no matter what device or product you ultimately choose. At the end of the day, if you don't plan properly then you can't expect the deployment to be rolled out properly. You need to do proper feasibility on-site. You need to make sure that the areas that you want to be covered will be covered properly.

This product is pretty easy to get set up and get going. For that reason, I'd rate it at an eight out of ten.

Mark  Anderson - PeerSpot reviewer
    President at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
    Robust, easy to install, and is low maintenance
    • "It is similar to the switches, where it is one of those things where it just works. They are very reliable."
    • "When they release new products, you should know if there backward compatibility, or do you have to replace the entire forklift, It is useful to understand their strategy and where they are headed."

What is our primary use case?

Ubiquiti WLAN is a management and the layout. You must do your own design work to determine where you want to place the devices.

Once they are in, and because you can have multiple access points, the handoff between different access points, one to another, is really nice.

You are not losing signals, dropping connections, and other such things.

It is all very good.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

With newer products, to be precise, you want to know what their plan is, and where are they heading. Because you want to make wise choices. And, once again, the same product does not last indefinitely.

You are always coming up with new ideas and improvements.

But you want to know where they see themselves going in the future.

When they release new products, you should know if there backward compatibility, or do you have to replace the entire forklift, It is useful to understand their strategy and where they are headed.

Ubiquiti WLAN is stable. It just works.

I am the only one who does a lot of the management.

There are a couple of other people who use it, but there are probably a lot of people and customers making connections and using it.

There are no complaints. Nobody is unhappy. If no one complains, it must be doing well.

I've never dealt with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward.

They give you a lot of options, but most of the defaults are good.

There are some configurations you will want to do over time as you learn. But, it is simple.

I work with some products where figuring out the configuration is extremely difficult and requires trial and error. It is simpler and easier to use with Ubiquiti.

This solution requires very low maintenance. If something goes wrong, I find out about it and either make a quick configuration change or do something similar, or every now and then, something goes out or doesn't work properly and I have to replace it. That would be a lot if I had to do something once a year.

It is a stand-alone price.

I purchase the product. You can buy them in bulk and get several pieces of hardware at once.

It is a one-time investment. I do that, and it works perfectly.

What other advice do I have?

It works well, It's a good product, I would rate Ubiquiti WLAN a nine out of ten.

System & Network Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Good pricing, easy deployment, and offers nice basic features
    • "The solution is not complex to deploy."
    • "There seems to be a drop in service. It's definitely a reliability or stability issue we face."

What is our primary use case?

I generally use the solution as a wireless access point.

What is most valuable?

The solution is not complex to deploy.

We have found the solution to have good standard features. I didn't find anything special or specific to like per se.

The pricing is fine. We can afford it and we enjoy the equipment.

What needs improvement?

The stability isn't so good. I didn't find it very stable due to the fact that we have had troubles with them every once in a while.

The main problem we encounter is that sometimes when we struggle, it's due to the fact that the equipment is always looking for the controller. When the controller is not there, not detectable, the equipment is unavailable, and the connection is not available. When that happens, the users are complaining. There seems to be a drop in service sometimes. It's definitely a reliability or stability issue we face.

I've been using the solution for about five or six years.

The solution doesn't have the best track record with stability. We don't find it to be very reliable.

The scalability is slightly limited. You can have 50 users on each one, approximately. It's not as scalable as Fortinet products.

I've never used technical support. If I have trouble with my equipment, I go to the forum and I get my answers there. With that level of assistance, I haven't had to refer to the support.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. It's not complex or difficult. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

We handled the deployment on our own. We don't need any assistance via consultants or integrators.

The pricing is pretty good. It's not overly expensive.

You only pay for the solution once. There isn't an ongoing license fee you have to pay on a monthly or yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

We are clients and end-users.

I would rate the solution at a six out of ten, mostly due to the fact that we face stability issues.

Managing Director at ProcessDrive India
    Easy to manage with a minimal setup and user-friendly interface
    • "The solution has a lot of great features."
    • "When I started to upgrade, the controller for Unbuntu was really struggling to start up, however, that has since been solved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to provide the network and internet connection for all of our staff. We are an IT solutions company.

What is most valuable?

The management is great. It's very easy to manage.

It has a good user interface. The controller is very good as well.

The solution has a lot of great features.

It has a very minimal initial setup.

The solution is scalable and quite stable.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall coming across any missing features. It already has so many to work with.

I've been using the solution for two years or so.

The stability of the solution is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

You can scale the solution as needed. I keep adding access points and have never had an issue.

We have 40 people using the solution.

I've never dealt with technical support. Everything works well and I've never had a reason to have to reach out. They do also have good community support if you need questions answered.

When I tried Ubiquiti for the first time, I liked it immediately.

The setup is straightforward and very minimal. You really just connect it. It's not complex.

There isn't really any maintenance needed.

I handled the implementation myself and bought the device directly from Ubiquiti.

I haven't noted any ROI.

There are no licensing costs. You just purchase the devices.

What other advice do I have?

We use a variety of versions of the solution.

Ubiquiti is good even for large corporations. It's a very stable solution.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Puran Rai - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Executive Officer at Nexus Technology
    Reseller
    Great signal reach and penetration but lacks individual AP configuration
    • "Ubiquiti WLAN's best feature is the free controller system software."
    • "Ubiquiti WLAN would be improved with the addition of individual AP configuration, which would allow for fine-tuning of individual access points and logins."

What is our primary use case?

I use Ubiquiti WLAN to provide Wi-Fi in the hotel industry.

How has it helped my organization?

We've received positive feedback from our clients after deploying Ubiquiti WLAN, which has improved our confidence and reputation as a service provider.

What is most valuable?

Ubiquiti WLAN's best feature is the free controller system software. We can download this software anytime without licensing fees, and once deployed, the access point instantly synchronizes with the system, which makes configuration faster and easier. Other valuable features include Ubiquiti WLAN's signal reach and penetration, single view of all access points, and captive portal system, which you can use to generate tickets for guests and allow them to log in using the password.

What needs improvement?

Ubiquiti WLAN would be improved with the addition of individual AP configuration, which would allow for fine-tuning of individual access points and logins. There are also occasional issues with syncing the controller software.

I've been using Ubiquiti WLAN for three to four years.

Ubiquiti WLAN's stability is good.

Ubiquiti WLAN's scalability is good.

Ubiquiti's technical support is satisfactory.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The setup is straightforward; for example, deployment will take around four to five days for a three-story building with fifteen to twenty rooms.

We use an in-house team.

We've received a decent ROI from Ubiquiti WLAN.

Ubiquiti WLAN is fairly well priced and available as a one-time purchase.

I evaluated Cisco Meraki and Ruckus.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Ubiquiti WLAN seven out of ten.

Download our free Ubiquiti WLAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022