IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Trend Micro Web Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Trend Micro Web Security is #7 ranked solution in top Internet Security tools and #17 ranked solution in top Web Security Gateways. PeerSpot users give Trend Micro Web Security an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. Trend Micro Web Security is most commonly compared to Zscaler Internet Access: Trend Micro Web Security vs Zscaler Internet Access. Trend Micro Web Security is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Trend Micro Web Security?

Trend Micro Web Security is a cloud-based web security gateway which enables users to focus on strategic security, such as policy and architecture. It provides users with forward-looking threat protection on web threats, URL filtering, and application control. It features cloud app access control, flexible deployment, and a single console that provides advanced security against online threats. Trend Micro Web Security shields your users from cyber threats by employing cross-generational defense methods to detect known and unknown threats. This provides visibility and access control for each of your users on unauthorized cloud applications.

The solution’s innovative deployment strategy allows you to deploy gateways on premises, in the cloud, or both, ensuring that your users are protected no matter where they are. A single cloud-based administration panel streamlines your workload by allowing you to define policies, manage users, and access reporting all from one place.

Trend Micro Web Security Features

Trend Micro Web Security has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Gateway HTTPS decryption and anti-malware:  Prevents malware from entering your network, relieving endpoint security of the responsibility.
  • Correlated threat data and web reputation: Trend Micro Smart Protection Network web reputation technology prevents access to malicious websites.
  • Filtering and categorization of URLs: Identifies inappropriate or harmful sites using real-time URL classification and reputation. Blocks access to spyware and phishing-related websites and prevents drive-by downloads.
  • Predictive machine learning and cloud sandboxing: In a secure Trend Micro-hosted sandbox environment, cloud sandboxing allows automatic in-depth simulation and analysis of potentially dangerous attachments, including executables and typical office documents.

Trend Micro Web Security Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Trend Micro Web Security. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Provides superior security for any device, anywhere: Threats are stopped in the cloud by Trend Micro Web Security before they reach your endpoints. Your users will be safe on any device, including desktop and mobile platforms, and in any location, whether or not they are connected to the corporate network.
  • Cloud application access control: Trend Micro Web Security can detect more than 30,000 cloud services in use and carry out the granular access policies defined by the administrator. This powerful feature allows you to set access controls for individual users or user groups on unsanctioned cloud apps within a schedule, enhancing your company's security and productivity.
  • Flexibility in deployment to meet your needs: This unique deployment strategy gives you the option of deploying the product on premises, in the cloud, or a combination of both. The expense and resource drain associated with backhauling traffic or operating several separate on-premises secure web gateways are eliminated with cloud-based deployment for all users, including on site, branch offices, and remote/mobile users.
  • Centralized management console with a single interface: You can manage and monitor web usage in real time using a single cloud-based management panel. You can manage consolidated and unified policies across both on-premises and cloud-based deployment instances with this single pane of glass. Dashboards and reports that are interactive and customized provide you total visibility into online usage and security data.

Reviews from Real Users

Trend Micro Web Security stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its robust access security and its stability. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:

Hartmut S., IT principal consultant, infrastructure architect, and project manager at EDV-SIMON, writes of the solution, “Web Security's most valuable feature is access security.” He adds, “It's secure and useful from an administrative point of view, with controllable login monitoring and so on.”

Nadeem S., CEO at Haniya Technologies, notes, “It's a very stable solution.” He adds, “I would definitely recommend Trend Micro to people looking for an end-to-end security solution. Trend Micro has a good portfolio for security solutions.”

Trend Micro Web Security was previously known as Virus Wall, VirusWall, Trend Micro VirusWall.

Trend Micro Web Security Customers

Landwirtschaftskammer Nordrhein-Westfalen, Mosaic Medical, Okinawa Prefectural Education Center, RAK Investment Authority

Trend Micro Web Security Video

Trend Micro Web Security Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Trend Micro Web Security pricing:
  • "There's annual and monthly options for the license. When you're on the managed services option, it's monthly. They're also setting up an option via AWS where there will be a monthly option via the AWS shopfront."
  • "The license is yearly and user based."
  • Trend Micro Web Security Reviews

Consultant at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    MSP
    Provides stable and scalable threat protection with good technical support, but it needs to be more comprehensive
    • "Threat protection solution with good stability and scalability. Installation is straightforward. Support for this product is good."
    • "What could help Trend Micro Web Security in terms of improvement is the addition of a DDoS protection feature. It also needs to be more comprehensive to meet the needs of large-sized companies."

What is our primary use case?

Trend Micro Web Security is used to protect the organizations from shoulder surfing. It also does certain classifications to provide protection not only from a security point of view, but also from a GRC (governance, risk, and compliance) point of view.

What needs improvement?

What could help Trend Micro Web Security in terms of improvement is the addition of a DDoS protection feature. Better DDoS protection is what I'm expecting, though I'm unsure if they now have that, because DDoS protection is more specialized than just web security.

We've been providing Trend Micro Web Security for seven years now.

Trend Micro Web Security is a good, stable product.

Secure Web Gateways (SWG)
    July 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Trend Micro, Cisco, Zscaler and others in Secure Web Gateways (SWG). Updated: July 2022.
    621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Trend Micro Web Security is a scalable product.

The tech support for Trend Micro Web Security is good.

Installing this product is really straightforward. The longest part is getting the MX records changed.

For Trend Micro Web Security licensing, there's annual and monthly options, e.g. it depends on the company and the customer. When they are on the managed services option, it's monthly. They're also setting up an option via AWS where there will be a monthly option via the AWS shopfront.

What other advice do I have?

We were able to deploy Trend Micro Web Security both on cloud and on-premises.

We currently have six customers on Trend Micro Web Security. Some of the customers, I've moved to a product that is more comprehensive.

You need a proper engineer to do the onboarding for this product, but it's not a very resource-intensive solution once it's installed. It does its protection. It gives you reports. You can configure it for the changes you want to make.

I recommend Trend Micro Web Security, particularly for small to medium enterprises. Bigger companies have more stringent requirements, and they might want to use solutions that are more comprehensive, but for small to medium-sized companies, this solution is good enough.

My rating for Trend Micro Web Security is six out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    BobenGeorge - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr.Customer Engineer- Projects at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Secure, reliable, is easy to install and has good technical support
    • "The security of Trend Micro Web Security is good."
    • "I would like to see better scalability and better performance."

What is our primary use case?

Trend Micro Web Security is used for web filtering. It protects the environment from web threats and malicious sites.

What is most valuable?

The security of Trend Micro Web Security is good.

What needs improvement?

The ease of use depends on the blacklisting of the sites. Some of the authorized sites have been blacklisted, which requires a request to unblock the site. The process of authorizing sited needs to improve.

The performance could be better. Sometimes the browser hangs. it is possible that the integration in coordination with the browser causes that issue.

I would like to see better scalability and better performance.

We implemented Trend Micro Web Security for a client approximately six months ago. I have been acquainted with it for a couple of months.

Trend Micro Web Security is a stable product, but the web browsers will hang at times.

We have two large company customers.

Trend Micro Web Security is a scalable product but it could be better. I would rate the scalability a seven out of ten.

Technical support is okay, we don't have any issues with the technical support.

The installation is straightforward. It doesn't require a lot.

We have one engineer to implement and upgrade this solution in the client's environment. With the support of their local engineer that they have on-premises, we implement the solution.

We implement products for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. If, however, they are using a different niche and using the other security levels then they don't need to use this product.

I would rate Trend Micro Web Security and eight out of ten.

Secure Web Gateways (SWG)
    July 2022
    621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    SamiEsber - PeerSpot reviewer
    Security consultant at Manaai corp.
    Reliable and can expand but needs a better user interface
    • "It's a stable solution."
    • "The installation is a little bit complex."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for cloud security. It's great for all types of security of internet-facing items.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good overall services.

The product can scale.

It's a stable solution.

Technical support has been helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be improved. We need it to be more user-friendly.

The installation is a little bit complex.

I've used the solution for a while now.

The stability of the product is great. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable and the performance has been good.

The solution can scale. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have about 100 people using the product.

We do have plans to increase usage. In fact, we are attempting to do so now.

They provide very good technical support. We are quite satisfied with them.

We also used Kaspersky and another product whose name I can't recall.

The product is a bit complex to set up. It's not exactly easy.

The deployment itself took about an hour.

We did not use a consultant or integrator. We handled the setup ourselves.

We pay a yearly licensing fee. It's an annual subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution to others.

I would rate the product seven out of ten. For the most part, we are happy with it, however, the interface could use an update.

Nadeem Syed - PeerSpot reviewer
    CEO at Haniya Technologies
    Reseller
    Stable end-to-end security solution for websites

What is our primary use case?

This solution is mostly used for web security. This solution is used on-premises and on the cloud.

We have about 15 to 20 clients using this solution.

What needs improvement?

It could be less expensive.

I have been using this solution for about three years.

It's a very stable solution.

It's scalable.

Normally, we don't usually get to the point where we require support from Trend Micro because we have our own technical team, and the distributors have their own technical team. After that, if we cannot solve anything, then we go through Trend Micro, but it normally doesn't happen that much.

Setup isn't very straightforward. You must have a certified technical engineer. It depends on the number of users or how big your network is, but it takes about one to four to five days.

The license is yearly and user based.

Trend Micro products are quite expensive compared to Kaspersky, Sophos, and McAfee. If they came down on the price, maybe it would be easier for them to compete in the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

I would definitely recommend Trend Micro to people looking for an end-to-end security solution. Trend Micro has a good portfolio for security solutions.

Hartmut Simon - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT principal consultant, infrastructure architect, project manager at EDV-SIMON
    It's useful from an administrative point of view, with controllable login monitoring

What is most valuable?

Web Security's most valuable feature is access security.

What needs improvement?

There are multiple ways Web Security could improve, such as usability and web access to several programming modes.

I've been using Web Security for around three years.

The stability varies depending on if it's the Software as a Service or on-premise version, but it's highly stable in general.

The scalability is open because it depends on the number of licenses you purchase. I've used it mostly in global environments, so that's massive.

I have a direct account manager, web support, email support, etc. Most of the support engineers I speak with are based in Ireland, but some are in Munich and the United States. They are very fast and helpful.

I am mostly using Symantec and Pure solutions. I also use Azure Access.

I have had any complications so far. It depends on the customer's environment, generally speaking. It usually is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Web Security eight out of 10. It's secure and useful from an administrative point of view, with controllable login monitoring and so on.

Download our free Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Trend Micro, Cisco, Zscaler, and more!
    Updated: July 2022