Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

SUSE Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SUSE Manager is #11 ranked solution in top Configuration Management tools. PeerSpot users give SUSE Manager an average rating of 9.6 out of 10. SUSE Manager is most commonly compared to Red Hat Satellite: SUSE Manager vs Red Hat Satellite. SUSE Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Configuration Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is SUSE Manager?

SUSE Manager was designed to help your enterprise DevOps and IT Operations teams reduce complexity and regain control of your IT assets with a single tool to manage Linux systems across a variety of hardware architectures, hypervisors as well as container, IoT and cloud platforms. It automates Linux server and IoT device provisioning, patching and configuration for faster, consistent and repeatable server deployment helping to optimize operations and reduce costs. And with automated monitoring, tracking, auditing and reporting of your systems, VMs, and containers across your development, test and production environments, you can ensure compliance with internal security policies and external regulations.

SUSE Manager Customers
Day & Zimmermann, Cisco, CEMEX, L.B. Foster, Adient, Istanbul Technical University, 7Pixel, University of Maine System, Guerbet
SUSE Manager Video

SUSE Manager Reviews

Senior Technical Marketing Manager at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to deploy, offers embedded monitoring, and is very stable
  • "When it comes to managing both Red Hat and SUSE environments, it provides the support for live patching, which is something I really, really appreciate."
  • "I really would like to have a broader library of VCP's or playbooks that I can deploy."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a freelancer and I have a number of customers and I need to patch their systems. The beauty of SUSE Manager is that it supports different Linux systems such as Red Hat and SentOS, SLES, and Ubuntu.

What is most valuable?

The other thing that I use a lot as well is embedded monitoring. You can use these cool tools that you use in the cloud, such as Grafana Prometheus, to do monitoring of your system.

Actually deploying stuff is quite easy.

What needs improvement?

I really would like to have a broader library of VCP's or playbooks that I can deploy. That's the only thing I would sometimes really need. I'd like a proper code library.

I would like to see some AI or machine learning or some mechanism that can predict my potential errors. For instance, if I'm running out of a space in my server X maybe it can raise an alert and tell me, "with the current consumption of a storage in the server in 10 days, you're going to run out of space."

I've used the solution since April of 2021.

Configuration Management
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about SUSE, Red Hat, HCL and others in Configuration Management. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's quite stable. Usually, even though I manage different customers and I have sometimes connectivity problems with the VPN, I haven't had to reboot the system or the services whatsoever. I'm quite happy with that.

I can't really speak to the scalability. I don't have a big environment. I have multiple small environments and I can connect easily to any of them, therefore, I'm happy.

I would increase my users if my customers added more servers, which may happen. I'm based in Spain and usually, the fiscal year tends to start in January and people are getting more money for the first quarter. I may get some servers for my customers or add some more customers to my list. I don't know if that will happen or not.

I only opened a case when I did the update. They pointed me to the documentation and I felt silly as I could have also found that on the website without them. Beyond that, I didn't need to open any cases, which is good.

I also deal with Ansible and Salt. What I have are those solutions embedded into SUSE Manager as SUSE Manager supports both Salt and Ansible with the latest release. That was my driver to include 4.2 in my roadmap instead of just sticking with 4.1. I'd say that SUSE Manager goes beyond configuration management. Sometimes I also use Ansible as a standalone to string some VMs to the cloud and so on. That's great. However, my traditional configurations with Salt or Ansible are just not enough, which is why I also have SUSE.

In terms of the initial setup process, I inherited the solution from someone who just passed over the business for me. I did not need to set it up. However, in relation to the maintenance process, I had to deploy one as we had this migration from SUSE Manager 4.1 to 4.2. It's not an initial setup. I had to spin another 4.2 box and then I migrated the content of my 4.1 environment to my 4.2 environment. It was quite smooth. The documentation was quite nice. I just followed the steps and I had no problems.

I haven't done an ROI evaluation yet as we have this new pricing model. What I can say is the savings are going to be good as it's not the same to deal with one tool as opposed to dealing with three tools.

I don't have the exact cost on hand right now as that's something I tend to negotiate in my new year. Thus far, I didn't pay for it. That's going to happen mid-January or something like that. What I was told, by the person who had it before me was that when he made the comparison with other tools, it was cheaper due to the fact that now I basically have the SUSE Manager to manage all environments. In the past, he had Spacewalk to manage the SUSE stuff, and then he had Satellite to manage the record stuff and he had Landscape to manage the Ubuntu stuff. When he consolidated everything, he saved a lot of money.

One of the biggest benefits would be that it incorporates multiple managers in one platform saving you on licensing for multiple solutions. That said, at this time, I don't even know how much it's going to cost as they've changed the pricing this year. I got an email back in the summer saying that, in the past, I would pay for the server and then all the clients. Now, I don't have to pay for the server and then the clients anymore. I just have a flat fare where I can deploy as many servers as I want and everything will be included at the same price.

The reality is that the server that I'm using right now is only 12 GBs of RAM and I'm considering doing an upgrade to 24GBs. When you include more functionalities and more features, you certainly need more resources. For me, the hardware would be the only real additional cost.

What other advice do I have?

I am a SUSE partner.

I have a central server and then I'm connected to the VPN. That way, I can connect to all different customers.

I'd advise new users to certainly read the documentation, as that's what I tend to skip. However, it's an important step. Try to automate as much as you can. One of the most powerful things that I noticed when I arrived, was that it was underutilized, and there are all of these automation capabilities that SUSE Manager has. It's saved just so much time for me.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

NarsingThakur - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect at YASH Technologies
Runs seamlessly and is very easy to maintain
  • "SUSE Manager is the best solution for maintaining the Linux environment"
  • "The initial stage is a bit complex, but after that, everything runs seamlessly."

What is our primary use case?

Some one thousand SUSE Enterprise Linux servers use the solution for patching, OS deployment, auditing purposes, VA scans, and everything SUSE Manager can do. It's the one place where you can manage your entire SUSE environment.

What is most valuable?

We found patch deployment and deploying the operating system to be the solution's most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

I can't really say what product or service could be improved because we use limited features.

We've been using this solution for five years.

The solution is very much stable.

The solution is not used for scalability.

The initial stage is a bit complex, but after that, everything runs seamlessly.

Product deployment took a bit longer than an hour.

What other advice do I have?

The SUSE environment runs seamlessly.

The solution is very easy to maintain.

SUSE Manager can manage multiple operating systems. Some Red Hat configuration tools only allow you to maintain Red Hat-related servers. However, SUSE Manager allows you to control Red Hat servers, SUSE Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Open SUSE, and Ubuntu, which is something new that other tools do not support.

I would say that SUSE Manager is the best solution for maintaining the Linux environment.

I would rate SUSE Manager as 10 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Configuration Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about SUSE, Red Hat, HCL, and more!
Updated: September 2022