SUSE Linux Enterprise OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SUSE Linux Enterprise is the #6 ranked solution in top Operating Systems for Business. PeerSpot users give SUSE Linux Enterprise an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. SUSE Linux Enterprise is most commonly compared to Ubuntu Linux: SUSE Linux Enterprise vs Ubuntu Linux. SUSE Linux Enterprise is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Operating Systems (OS) for Business Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SUSE Linux Enterprise?

The modern and modular OS helps simplify multimodal IT, makes traditional IT infrastructure efficient and provides an engaging platform for developers. As a result, you can easily deploy and transition business-critical workloads across on-premise and public cloud environments.

SUSE Linux Enterprise Customers

Air India, Akademicki Szpital Kliniczny (ASK), Allone, Altran, Apollo, ARCHIVA, Asia Innovatory Management School, ATLAS ELEKTRONIK GmbH, AutoData Norge AS, Baldor Electric, Business Connexion, CASIO, Ciclum Farma, Delta Lloyd, Edumate , HPE,  SAP SE,  Lenovo, BMW, T-Systems, UCX, Turners & Growers, Shenzhen Development Bank, Bosch Group, JK Tyres & Industries, IOCL, European Space Agency, Daimler AG, China Minsheng Banking Corp, Café Coffee Day, Unisys,  Petrochina Company Ltd, Fitch Ratings, ABeam Consulting Co Ltd, Tyro Payments, Rackspace, Pacific Textiles, ...

SUSE Linux Enterprise Video

SUSE Linux Enterprise Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SUSE Linux Enterprise pricing:
  • "I have to pay for a license in order to get support."
  • "There is no license for this solution, there is only a subscription of support available."
  • "Anyone can use Linux because it is open-source."
  • "The license we pay is for Oracle. We make use of the community edition."
  • "There is a free tier and a paid support tier. If you do not need support, then the solution is free to use. If you need support then there is an option for that as well."
  • SUSE Linux Enterprise Reviews

Technical Presales Consultant/ Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
    Stable with an elegant design and good performance
    • "The initial setup is very straightforward."
    • "Red Hat has more packages that are available than SUSE does. I'd love to see more projects based on SUSE."

What is our primary use case?

SUSE Linux is the best enterprise Linux distribution, period. It's my preferred laptop operating system.

What is most valuable?

I'm using the latest that they have which is a new innovation called MicroOS, which basically creates immutable infrastructure. It's a new trend in the Linux world and it is amazing. SUSE has been different from Red Hat with its YaST tool. They have a tool called YaST and it makes Linux server administration much easier as it's like a GUI, not a command line. It's a really amazing tool at it allows you to automate the administration of Linux servers. I love it. I felt like it's where the enterprise should be.

You can always have Oracle databases installed on SUSE. You can do the same on Red Hat. SUSE is a German company and they're very good with SAP. There is this database or ERP system based on this thing called SAP HANA. SUSE Linux is one of the few certified options to install SAP HANA on. If you're talking about enterprise-grade Linux, that can work on both Oracle and SAP and can offer it both Oracle and SAP workloads, SUSE is the best. I love it.

The stability, the performance, and the elegant design are all aspects I really like. Everything about SUSE I like, to be honest.

The product can scale.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

People usually don't go with SUSE, when they're outside of the European Union. They go with Red Hat, especially in the Middle East. They love the American thing. However, SUSE and Red Hat are pretty similar. They help each other, in the end. They have amazing products and pretty much have a lot of common product bases between them. There are only minor differences.

Red Hat has more packages that are available than SUSE does. I'd love to see more projects based on SUSE. They are doing a great job, however, it's not at the same level as compared to Red Hat. You can install almost anything on Red Hat or Ubuntu, however, not everything is straightforward or compatible with SUSE.

I've been using the solution for six years at this point.

Operating Systems (OS) for Business
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about SUSE, Red Hat, CentOS and others in Operating Systems (OS) for Business. Updated: November 2022.
    655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The product is quite stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. the performance is good.

The solution can scale if a company needs it to.

Not many people are using the product, even on the business side. Very few customers have SUSE. Very few understand the market, and therefore, very few have SUSE. I don't deal with it much in the market. However, at home, I'm running it on my laptop. My personal laptop is running on SUSE.

I've never had to interact with technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I'm familiar with Red Hat and Oracle as well.

I started my career as a web developer. I was really fond of cross-platform applications and cross-platform development. I've interacted with Mac operating systems. I've interacted with Windows, mainly. Nowadays, my personal favorite is an operating system called FreeBSD, which is not related to Linux at all. It's Linux-based, yet it's not Linux. It's different. Also, I have dealt with Android and iOS and that's mainly it. Windows, Linux, Macs, and the FreeBSD.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not as easy as Ubuntu. Sometimes you can run into hiccups with the drivers. Other than that, it's amazing. There's also a GUI, there is an interface. You just basically run your settings and click next, next, next, and you're good to go.

There is no license. Usually, no Linux will charge for a license. They will get sued if they do so, as they are all running GPL software. GPL software would insist that you do not modify the code without sharing it with the public and anybody can use it. That's why it's not possible for them to charge money on the use.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using openSUSE 42.5, which is also based on SUSE. It's the same operating system, just under a different name.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. It's been great, overall. I'm more than satisfied with its capabilities.

I'd definitely recommend SUSE over any other Linux distribution. If you are a person who is learning Linux, very new to Linux, I would say go with Ubuntu. If you like American approaches, I will tell you to go with Red Hat. That said, SUSE is the best enterprise Linux out there, period. Red Hat does have an amazing company as well, and it's doing great contributions. However, my heart tends to always fall towards SUSE and how their product is really not just stable, but also user-friendly in the server world. In Red Hat, you have to know the command line. In SUSE, it's not a must. You do, however, there's a lot of things that can be automated without you having to write scripts.

Senior Technical Project Manager at a university with 10,001+ employees
    Offers a secure and mature operating system; consumes less memory than other systems
    • "The solution offers a secure operation system."
    • "The free version sometimes has security holes."

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that SUSE has a secure operating system. SUSE is one of the more mature versions of Linux and one of the best out there - it's very easy to install and upgrade. One of its advantages is that it doesn't consume as much memory as other operating systems and you can trim it down. If you're trying to fortify the operating system it's very easy. If you were using Windows you'd have to do all kinds of things and it would take a lot longer, it's easier with Linux.

What needs improvement?

I think the solution needs to move away from offering so many community or feature software. They need to develop something similar to Marketplace in AWS. SUSE has a tool that allows you to patch and update and install free software to separate channels. It provides a channel to patch the operating system and add new features and another channel to deal with installing free software. When you use the tool you're dealing with everything and for security reasons I think they need to separate the free software because it's a risk, especially nowadays when we're doing a lot of fortification or strengthening the operating system. We need to have the ability to not have to deal with all the free software because it sometimes has security holes. They really should just focus on the operating system updates and give the administrator the ability to put a block on all the free software. In other words, I just want the operating system updates.

I've been using this solution for about seven years.

I haven't had contact with technical support. I downloaded the free version of SUSE and never purchased SUSE products. It's old, but you can use it. It's unlike the IBM Linux version, there's no free IBM Linux out there for now.

The initial setup is straightforward. One of the things I like about Linux is that it's a lot easier to update than, for instance, Windows. I have experience with Windows, but the last eight years I have been using primarily Linux and only use Windows when I need to clean because sometimes you try to watch videos on Linux and they don't work or require you to install an additional decoder. As far as patching goes, Linux is a lot easier to patch than Windows and a lot easier to protect than Windows, I think.

I haven't kept up on licensing costs, I haven't been selling or supporting products on a day to day basis.

In terms of other similar solutions, I know that Red Hat Linux is more complex than the standard Linux distribution but it's better because it has so many extensions and so many different products within the Red Hat family. It's a lot more mature than SUSE. Now that IBM has bought Red Hat it's going to become even better. It can become a serious competitor in the cloud, although they need to standardize the naming conventions and there isn't a convention as with Amazon where it's very easy to understand the cloud features and products, and they have a well-organized system. IBM doesn't have that.

What other advice do I have?

I've had this version of SUSE for a while and just patch it and carry out the software updates because I want to keep my environment stable. When I was installing my multiple systems, I selected the best update of the lot and SUSE was one of them. I selected several different Linux distributions. I have the SUSE Linux, Fedora, Scientific Linux and I have Mango Linux. I wanted to develop a feature on my laptop that would allow me to run multiple operating systems concurrently and have multiple keyboards on the laptop, rather than having to switch between them. It's a work in progress.

I rate this product a nine out of 10.

Operating Systems (OS) for Business
    November 2022
    655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    NarsingThakur - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Architect at YASH Technologies
    Easy to maintain, migrate and upgrade with minimal downtime required
    • "It is very easy to maintain, migrate and upgrade."
    • "We previously had trouble integrating Autodesk with the SUSE Manager, but the issue was resolved."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for integration with the SAP HANA solutions and for SAP products, which is an ERP, and our customers use SAP ERP to run their business. For example, one of our customers is Lepilo Foods, which manufactures cheese and whey protein. They use SAP, and it sits on SUSE Linux Enterprise.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients use HANA Database, which is in-memory computing and makes business transactions faster.

What is most valuable?

The pacemaker cluster and the SUSE Manager used for patching are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

We previously had trouble integrating Autodesk with the SUSE Manager, but the issue was resolved and improved.

We have been using this solution for more than ten years and are using version 15. It is deployed both on-premises and cloud. We are implementation partners, so we deal with SAP technologies and ERP implementation.

It is a very stable solution.

It is scalable. It is very easy to maintain, migrate and upgrade. No downtime is required in a lot of cases.

We have not used technical support. Everything has been seamless without any problems. But we know that SUSE support is very good, and if there are any issues, they will be able to help us.

We have experience using Red Hat. To run SAP, we would recommend SUSE Linux Enterprise. Red Hat is also very good, but SUSE Linux Enterprise is a master in the SAP market.

The initial setup was straightforward. Also, if it is deployed on cloud, it's very straightforward. The deployment can take from ten to 30 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a ten out of ten. SAP HANA and SUSE Linux Enterprise are the best to run the SAP business. Currently, all the features available in the market are integrated into SUSE Linux Enterprise.

SAP Director at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Stable, scalable, and has good support
    • "I have not experienced any issues with this operating system."
    • "The initial setup could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use this as our operating system. It's a platform to deploy solutions.

What is most valuable?

I have not experienced any issues with this operating system.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be simplified.

I would like to see integration with other solutions.

I have been working with SUSE Linux Enterprise for three years.

It's a stable solution. I have not experienced any issues.

SUSE Linux Enterprise is a scalable product.

We have approximately 200 users in our organization.

Technical support is okay.

I have been working with the cloud version of Microsoft. NET Framework for 10 years. We use it for administration processes and finance.

The initial setup is a bit complex. You need to have an expert with the expertise to assist you, but, it doesn't take a lot time.

We have a team of five people to maintain this solution.

You definitely need the help of an consultant for the installation.

I have to pay for a license in order to get support.

What other advice do I have?

I am responsible for project management. I follow up and track the progress and provide reviews to the customers.

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it. That said, there is always room for improvement.

I would rate SUSE Linux Enterprise an eight out of ten.

General Manager at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    Overall good features, fair pricing and adequate technical support
    • "SUSE Linux Enterprise is scalable."
    • "I have not seen an ROI with this solution."

What is most valuable?

My customers are happy with the features and the stability of the code. Also the availability of extended support of each version for a few years after normal support ends. Unique advantages are offered by the special edition SES for SAP applications.

I have been using SUSE Linux Enterprise for approximately three years.

The solution is very stable.

SUSE Linux Enterprise is scalable.

I don't have personal experience with the support - however my experience with selling subscription and support contracts over the years indicates that vendor support is adequate because end-users are happy.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I have dealt with the Red Hat solution.

I am not an end-user deploying the solution, so  ROI is not really applicable. However, as the subscription price of the solution is quite lower than comparatively featured Enterprise Linux Server offerings, the ROI should be correspondingly higher.

As with all commercially supported open source software, there is no license fee for this solution, users buy annual or multi-year support subscriptions.

What other advice do I have?

I do recommend this solution to customers who deploy enterprise open source linux systems. If customers order it we sell it to them.

I rate SUSE Linux Enterprise a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Official distributor-reseller of SUSE
    System Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Open-source, reliable, easy to use, and has good support

What is our primary use case?

SUSE Linux Enterprise is a critical component. We also use it with SUSE Rancher.

This solution is used to run the master node of Kubernetes and Rancher, which are co-dependent, and it does not run on Windows.

What is most valuable?

It is very powerful and different from Windows.

It is very simple to use.

You don't have to click, you just enter the commands.

It's a flexible solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see GUI improved, it could be more user-friendly.

I have been using SUSE Linux Enterprise for seven months.

SUSE Linux Enterprise is a stable product.

Technical support is very strong. Many resources can be found on the internet.

They offer enterprise-level support, similar to Red Hat and SUSE.

We are satisfied with the technical support.

If you are a technical person, the setup is easy, but if you are not, it can be quite complex.

Anyone can use Linux because it is open-source. If you require technical assistance, you will have to pay for it.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have a lot of experience with this solution, I have recently completed my MCA, as well as my internship.

I would rate SUSE Linux Enterprise a ten out of ten.

Nasri Nabil - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Service at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    A solution which is easy to use and manipulate, performs well and secure
    • "The solution is easy to use, secure and allows for simple manipulation."
    • "In the next release it would be nice to see more integration and better automation of processses."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be useful for operating systems, such as running certain applications. We use it as a community solution.

What needs improvement?

In the next release it would be nice to see more integration and better automation of processes.

I have been using SUSE Linux Enterprise for around 20 years.

The performance is good. I am satisfied with it.

We have a maintenance contract with Oradist, which is the Oracle firm in Tunisia.

I was not involved in the installation. I am part of the development team, am responsible for the integration of our solution and belong to the BI team. I use Pentaho Business Intelligence and take advantage of the community.

We have 16 people responsible for the deployment and maintenance.

The license we pay is for Oracle. We make use of the community edition.

What other advice do I have?

While I don't install the solution, I use it as part of the development team.

The solution is easy to use, secure and allows for simple manipulation.

I feel no need to modify the interface or GUI.

The solution comprises our entire server. We have many people who make use of the solution.

I recommend the solution to others, both SUSE OS and Oracle Database.

I rate SUSE Linux Enterprise as a ten out of ten.

Team leader technical support at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
    Stable, scalable, and easy installation

What is our primary use case?

We are using SUSE Linux Enterprise for application management.

What needs improvement?

The interface could improve.

We installed this solution seven years ago and we are not using it very much. I have been using this solution for approximately six years.

The stability of the solution is good. We have not had any issue with performance.

We have not had any issue with the scalability.

We have approximately five people using this solution in my organization.

The installation was not difficult.

The deployment took a team of two and if you had administrators it would be convenient.

There is a free tier and a paid support tier. If you do not need support, then the solution is free to use. If you need support then there is an option for that as well.

What other advice do I have?

We are not using this solution very much anymore and we are moving away from this platform.

I rate SUSE Linux Enterprise an eight out of ten.

Download our free Operating Systems (OS) for Business Report and find out what your peers are saying about SUSE, Red Hat, CentOS, and more!
    Updated: November 2022