SonicWall Netextender OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SonicWall Netextender is the #11 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. PeerSpot users give SonicWall Netextender an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. SonicWall Netextender is most commonly compared to SonicWall Connect Tunnel: SonicWall Netextender vs SonicWall Connect Tunnel. SonicWall Netextender is popular among the small business segment, accounting for 52% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
SonicWall Netextender Buyer's Guide

Download the SonicWall Netextender Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SonicWall Netextender?

-Enforce granular access policies and extend network access through native clients
-Enhance firewall encryption and security by redirecting all client traffic through VPN
-Reduce administrative overhead by simplifying remote access management

SonicWall Netextender Video

SonicWall Netextender Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SonicWall Netextender pricing:
  • "Cost wise, it would be a few hundred dollars for the base appliance with the first five clients. Then from there, your cost per seat depends on how many you're getting. It's a one-time cost, and then you have a few hundred dollars a year for the maintenance contract once you get the one-time seat costs out of the way."
  • "After a certain number of users, you require extra licensing."
  • "You have to pay for its license. There are some other companies that provide a VPN client for free. When you buy NetExtender, its license is available for one, three, or five years."
  • SonicWall Netextender Reviews

Jay Barwick - PeerSpot reviewer
    Vice President of Operations at River Mill Data Management, LLC
    Hard to set up with lag issues and unhelpful technical support
    • "I found nothing of value in this solution."
    • "They need to rewrite the software to make it a usable product."

What is our primary use case?

We used the product as a VPN for remote users.  We are a small office with a single server (HP Proliant 360p) environment running Windows Server 2019 and previously employed the use of a SonicWall TZ500 as our firewall.

We had, at most, three remote users and six office users connecting at any given point in  time. NetExtender was the VPN solution provided by SonicWall. The setup for Net Extender was tempermental (it had issues connecting to LDAP for authentication) and the overall experience was a nightmare. We ended up switching to another provider for our firewall and VPN.

How has it helped my organization?

NetExtender did nothing to improve my organization - in fact, it was quite the opposite. Users constantly complained of lag and unbearable sluggishness (with a max speed of 10-30kbps) through the VPN, even though we have relatively high bandwidth for a small office (400mbps). With a total of about ten users, only three would ever need to access the network through NetExtender.

The initial setup was difficult with support never able to provide a decent solution.

NetExtender was extremely slow even with low network congestion and high bandwidth.

Luckily, we switched to a different provider just before the pandemic began.

What is most valuable?

I found nothing of value in this solution. In fact, it did quite the opposite.  Productivity for my remote workers went up dramatically once we switched providers.

It has been a known point of frustration for many IT professionals using SonicWall devices for years on the discussion boards and with support and they won't fix it.

It is rather disappointing as we had been using SonicWall devices for almost 15 years. We had just upgraded to a TZ500 less than a year before we had to start preparing for the pandemic. What should have been an easily managed solution proved to be quite the dud.

What needs improvement?

The ease of setup needs improvement and they need to fix lag/connection issues. They need to rewrite the software to make it a usable product. There is no reason this product should be this slow.

Technical support and software engineers need to listen to people who have been raising the issue instead of redirecting the blame to ISPs, traffic, and literally anything else other than their product.

They should improve technical support and train technicians on how to listen to the client and troubleshoot issues. Most of my calls with technical support ended with the techician troubleshooting an issue and realizing 45 minutes to an hour later that couldn't be the issue after I had repeatedly told them the steps I had already taken.

SonicWall Netextender
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SonicWall Netextender. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We used NetExtender for approximately two years.

NetExtender was the straw that broke the camel's back between my company and SonicWall.

NetExtender has issues even with a minimal amount of users. I would not call it scalable.

The lack of knowledge and failure to listen led to dramatically increased call time. Not much ever got resolved.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Negative

We did not previously use a different solution.

It should have been straightforward, but ended up being extremely frustrating.

We handled the setup in-house.

As NetExtender is provided as a free solution for companies using SonicWall devices; there is no ROI to consider. However, considering that NetExtender is almost impossible to use due to connectivity issues, I would say there is a negative ROI.

The pricing and licensing are on par with other providers.

We evaluated other brands but chose to stick with SonicWall due to the relative ease of setup and a previous relationship.

Exec Admin/IT/Accounting at JJW Construction.com
    Stable with good security and a straightforward setup
    • "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
    • "The Netextender application itself doesn't really look pretty, however, we can still use it. We don't care what it looks like. That said, if they did a cosmetic update, that would be fine."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for file transfer due to the fact that our exchange is in the cloud. We don't need it for our Outlook, however, we do have large files, being a construction company. We set it up at job sites and wherever anybody needs it remotely, it comes back in securely and we don't have that many latency issues We're doing very good with it.

What is most valuable?

The security on offer is excellent.

There's not much latency with it. With WatchGuard, for example, we did have latency sometimes.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The product is stable.

What needs improvement?

From my experience with using it, we do have problems sometimes with the credentialing-saving parts of it.

It resets sometimes, however, it still saves the ISP and the tunnel information and the port and everything. That's okay, for the most part. We just have to type our names in.

Likely, the average user would have trouble deploying the solution, if they don't have a bit of IT experience.

The Netextender application itself doesn't really look pretty, however, we can still use it. We don't care what it looks like. That said, if they did a cosmetic update, that would be fine. They don't have to. It wouldn't affect the usability.

We've been using the solution for two and a half years at this point.

We very rarely had times where, at the server or the firewall level, it'll disconnect, and we need to reboot. This has been the case for two and a half years. It has maybe happened to me twice. It's extremely rare that there's a problem where they have to go and reset something. Usually, it's just rebooting the computer, clearing whatever it was. For the most part, the solution is very stable.

I'm not sure about the ability to scale this solution. I haven't tried to scale it. We've only got 12 users using it. I know it works and it's cost-effective for us at this size. I imagine it could go up quite high, however, from personal experience, I really don't know.

I don't deal directly with their technical support.

We did use WatchGuard, however, we found we had latency issues with it in the past.

The implementation process is pretty straightforward. I have had to add it without the IT company telling me what to do and I've been able to do it.

I know our average user probably wouldn't be able to handle it, however, that's due to the fact that they're not first in the applications, they're just building buildings and using the computers as support.

I can't speak to its exact pricing as it comes bundled together with our firewall. Right now, we have one firewall solution, and that costs us less than $1,000. That covers all the support, the total support on it, the VPNs, the firewall setup, and updating.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user.

We're using the most recent version of the solution. We've gone through a couple of versions or updates. They take care of the updates, however, we do stay current.

Overall, it's a really good product. I'd rate it at a nine out of ten. It would be a perfect ten out of ten if it offered better UI.

Hybrid Cloud
    SonicWall Netextender
    November 2022
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    Stable, scalable, and easy to integrate with SAML
    • "The most valuable feature for the Netextender is the ease with which we can integrate it with SAML."
    • "Right now, you have to load each license on to an appliance. You can't pool across multiple appliances. So, you end up having to do a lot of administrative work to recover if an internet provider goes down, and you cannot leverage it as easily into a DR solution."

What is our primary use case?

I do a fair bit with the virtualized SSL VPN appliances to keep the VPN termination off of the firewall because it's a heavy load on the firewall. It also allows for better integration with so many customers being on the Microsoft 365 portal.

We can't do SAML integration/authentication on VPN clients that are loaded on the firewalls, but we can do that when we put them on VPN-specific appliances.

How has it helped my organization?

When we started to change from IPsec-type clients that were predominantly built right into the firewalls to this approach or deployment style for SSL VPN, the amount of time that our techs spent helping people with VPN issues was probably cut by more than half. It's a model that's easier to support. We have fewer headaches than we used to have when more of the clients were built into the firewalls.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for the Netextender is the ease with which we can integrate it with SAML. This means that rather than needing to deploy other things like Duo, for example, for two-factor authentication and rather than needing to maintain and support server infrastructure for radius services, we can just integrate it with the Microsoft identity management that is already part and parcel with moving into exchange online.

It is stable and scalable.

It is also easy to install.

What needs improvement?

If we could do licensed pooling across multiple devices, it would make it easier to build more resilience into the solution in terms of multiple internet providers.

I've been dealing with SonicWall Netextender in the current format for about five years.

The deployment model varies. Sometimes, the customers still have a server room, and sometimes, they do hosting with us. Increasingly, we're also starting to see these SSL VPN appliances being deployed in Azure.

It is a stable product, especially because more people have been working from home and have better internet providers.

We have had no problems with scalability within our customer base. Scalability becomes more of a question when you are dealing with accounts with 10,000 seats.

Our network engineers are very happy with SonicWall technical support.

The appliance is easy to set up, and it's become second nature for our temporary staff.

Cost wise, it would be a few hundred dollars for the base appliance with the first five clients. Then from there, your cost per seat depends on how many you're getting. It's a one-time cost, and then you have a few hundred dollars a year for the maintenance contract once you get the one-time seat costs out of the way.

What other advice do I have?

Until such time as people start using web application proxies for everything, right from cloud services, SonicWall Netextender is the way to go. It will reduce your support costs and the amount of headaches, and it will allow you better integration with identity management coming from the cloud services and portals.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at nine.

Flavio Soares - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
    Easy to use, reasonably priced, stable, and the support is good
    • "It allows us to work remotely."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is not used internally. It is meant to be used externally because it is the VPN client. It is used for external access to the company.

What is most valuable?

It allows us to work remotely.

It's a very simple tool. You enter your username and your password to configure it.

What needs improvement?

I am rolling out the new Netextender because I am having some issues with the older version.

If I update the client with the newer version, the issues will go away.

I have been dealing with this solution for five years.

We are not using the most up-to-date version. It may be version 8.

I have never had any issues with the stability of this solution. At times, I have had some issues on the firewall side, but not the VPN client.

It has been working for the past year with 95% of everybody working from home. I have never had any issues.

Once or twice, I have to update it because I have found a bug that needs to be updated.

I have a lot of clients who are using this tool and it's stable.

Scaling doesn't really apply to this tool. This is not scaling software.

If I need more speed, I can't put a second VPN because it doesn't work like that.

This is the only solution that we use for VPN. It's the only one that works with SonicWall Firewalls. 80% of the company is working from home right now and using this solution.

We have approximately 120 people using it.

The support is good.

I like dealing with them because I have been able to solve all of my issues with first-level support. It rarely gets escalated to another level of support.

I am very happy with the support from SonicWall regarding all of the issues that we have had.

Previously, we used Cisco and FortiGate.

It's a VPN and they all do the same thing.

The initial setup is straightforward. Just click next, next, and next until done.

There are two people using it. There is myself and one other who maintains this solution. We are system administrators.

After a certain number of users, you require extra licensing.

I don't remember how much it costs, but I remember it wasn't expensive.

What other advice do I have?

This is what they call a Vanilla tool. It doesn't bring more or less than any other VPN client from other vendors. It doesn't bring any special features, it's a VPN client.

I am not aware of Netextender being used with any other solutions. It can only be used for SonicWall Firewall.

It's a stable tool that does what it is supposed to do. I would recommend this solution to others. It hasn't let me down.

I would rate SonicWall Netextender a nine out of ten.

Darshil Sanghvi - PeerSpot reviewer
      Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      Reseller
      Easy to configure and user friendly but needs to support the Mac OS
      • "The initial setup is pretty easy."
      • "There must be a multi-factor authentication enabled or integrated by default with it in order to be integrated with NetExtender."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used as an enterprise infrastructure VPN.

We have our users connecting if they work from home, for example. We are using NetExtender for connecting our users to the office.

What is most valuable?

The product is very cost-effective. For the price-sensitive market, this is a very good product for an SSL VPN solution.

The initial setup is pretty easy.

The product is very user-friendly.

The solution so far has proven itself to be quite stable.

The documentation is excellent. They have a lot of detail and cover a lot of aspects of the product.

The solution is very easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if the solution also supports the Mac OS. If it doesn't, that is something that could be very valuable.

I've used the solution over the last 12 months at least.

The stability is good. It's a very reliable solution. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite good overall in terms of performance.

We have around 50 users on the solution currently. We've never tried to scale beyond that. Therefore, I can't speak to the scalability potential. It's not something we've actively explored.

We've never had the need to reach out to technical support. For that reason, I can't really speak to how helpful or responsive they are. There isn't any feedback I could provide.

That said, there is a lot of documentation available, which would make it possible for users to seek out their own answers to problems if they needed to.

The initial setup was okay. Of course, it's important to get it right, however, once it is set up, the solution is extremely user-friendly and easy to manage. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

The deployment was pretty quick. It only took about two or so days.

The pricing of the product is good. It's quite reasonable for companies and easily affordable.

We pay a yearly licensing fee. Once you procure the license, it is attached to your SonicWall firewall. Therefore, you won't need to procure it or purchase it again and again.

What other advice do I have?

We're SonicWall partners.

We're likely using the latest version of the solution.

I'd advise those considering the solution that, if they already have a SonicWall firewall, they can just procure the licenses and enable the work from home for their users.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

System Administrator at RBDigital
      Works without any issues and provides good control over routing
      • "NetExtender works very well. I never had an issue with it, and it has been working well for me. In terms of management, you have good control over the destination. You can use NetExtender to set the policy and the static route for a client. You can modify it based on what your client needs or can access. You have good control over routing."
      • "SonicWall can be difficult for some people, but I don't find it difficult. Some companies provide a VPN client for free, but you have to pay for NetExtender."

What is our primary use case?

NetExtender is for client VPN. Users can use it to connect through a VPN and remotely access the internet services.

What is most valuable?

NetExtender works very well. I never had an issue with it, and it has been working well for me.

In terms of management, you have good control over the destination. You can use NetExtender to set the policy and the static route for a client. You can modify it based on what your client needs or can access. You have good control over routing.

What needs improvement?

SonicWall can be difficult for some people, but I don't find it difficult. Some companies provide a VPN client for free, but you have to pay for NetExtender.

I have been using this solution for around five years.

I can't say much about stability. I have multiple firewalls from the same company. If one firewall is down, I can connect to another firewall.

I never had to call their technical support for NetExtender. In general, like every firewall company, it depends on who you're talking to. Sometimes, you get good support, and sometimes, you don't get good support, and you have to force them to do something more because they just keep on saying that it is not just this. It is also this and that. You have to force them to go in one direction. I have had the same experience with Fortinet.

NetExtender is easy to install. You go to the SonicWall website and download NetExtender. If you are not sure about the setup options, you just keep on clicking on yes. All the configuration is automatically done.

Its setup is done inside the SonicWall router. Some people don't like SonicWall because they find it too complicated, but I like it. You get more granular control on everything and have to do more things, which makes it complicated, but I prefer it being complicated. I don't like not having enough options. If there are 100 options, I will study them one by one and use them, but for some people, it can be too complicated when there are too many options.

You have to pay for its license. There are some other companies that provide a VPN client for free. When you buy NetExtender, its license is available for one, three, or five years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SonicWall NetExtender an eight out of ten.

Rahul Soman - PeerSpot reviewer
      IT Infrastructure Specialist at Dynatrade LLC
      Great way for employees to access our network from home

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is client-to-site VPN. We are customers of SonicWall.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is that employees can connect to our LAN, and have access to our network from home.

What needs improvement?

The solution takes more bandwidth these days and it would be helpful if that was reduced.

I've been using this solution for three years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable, we had over 300 users during the peak of Covid when everyone was working from home.

The initial setup is straightforward.

SonicWall has a one-time license fee, it's a moderate cost.

What other advice do I have?

We went with NetExtender because we use SonicWall firewall, it was a practical option. I recommend this solution and rate it eight out of 10.

Download our free SonicWall Netextender Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
      Updated: November 2022