IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Sonatype Nexus Repository OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sonatype Nexus Repository is #1 ranked solution in top Software Distribution tools and top Repository Managers. PeerSpot users give Sonatype Nexus Repository an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Sonatype Nexus Repository is most commonly compared to Archiva: Sonatype Nexus Repository vs Archiva. Sonatype Nexus Repository is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
What is Sonatype Nexus Repository?
Nexus Repository is powered by Repository Manager, the same technology engine found in our OSS version deployed at more than 100,000 organziations world-wide. It is Built on the shoulders of Maven, Repository Manager supports all popular component formats and brings your entire development organization together. It includes staging and release functionality that provides support for operations and quality assurance processes prior to production and gives you instant insight into potential component security, license, and quality issues, enabling teams to take corrective action early and quickly.

Sonatype Nexus Repository was previously known as Nexus Repository, Nexus Repository Manager.

Sonatype Nexus Repository Customers
Goldman Sachs, Toyota, Disney, Deutsche Bank
Sonatype Nexus Repository Video

Sonatype Nexus Repository Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sonatype Nexus Repository pricing:
  • "There were costs in addition to the standard licensing fees. The standard is free."
  • "The cost is managed by the client."
  • Sonatype Nexus Repository Reviews

Joseph_Lim - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Engineer at Interos Solutions, Inc.
    Feature-rich and seamless integration with our other tools
    • "Navigation on the UI is easy and simple to understand."
    • "Lacks an end-to-end solution for developers to sign and store an image."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for our CICD pipeline, to build and store our artifacts in the repository. I'm the principal engineer and we are customers of Sonatype.

How has it helped my organization?

We previously used a clunky system that required logging on to AWS IAM before reaching out to the CodeArtifacts and it would then expire after 12 hours. This required additional maintenance for developers so we were looking for a more efficient solution. Nexus provides a single sign-on that doesn't expire unless you change your password. The developer logs in once for the entire day which increases efficiency and helps the developer to more easily maintain the workflow.

What is most valuable?

In comparison to solutions like JFrog, Nexus provides ease of use. Navigation on the UI is easy and simple to understand. In addition, the integration with the rest of our CICD tools like Jenkins and GitLab CI is pretty seamless with very little additional work that needs to be done. Sonatype is feature-rich, even in the open-source version and what they offer is easy to understand, nicely documented and it fits very well into our environment.

What needs improvement?

One issue is that Nexus Repository doesn't have an end-to-end solution that helps developers easily sign an image and store it or to deploy that image if it's not signed. We're looking for other tools to help us with that. We'll continue to use Nexus but only for storing our artifacts. It would be great if Nexus had some features to help us maintain our container images as well. The solution could be more intuitive.

We are using goharbor for our container registry. It has a feature that helps us to define a pattern and other features that have allowed us to configure the container images more easily. In that sense, Nexus is not as feature-rich. I'm hoping that the features we use on goharbor will be integrated into Nexus and then we won't need as many tools to run our infrastructure.

I've been using this solution for five years.

Stability is not entirely the responsibility of Nexus. The cloud provider needs to provide stability on the backend side as well. We haven't had any problems and the solution is stable.

We haven't reached the scalability stage yet but I'm quite sure that it is pretty solid because as long as you're using a backend that supports high availability, it will be fine. We have around 150 users who are mainly engineers.

We haven't needed to use technical support.

The deployment is straightforward and the solution is very easy to set up. If the solution is only for a lab playground, everything will run in one container, and that's easy. If additional configuration is required for production usage in a high availability area then deployment will be more complex. We have in-house engineers who do this for us.

We are using the open-source solution which is free.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to know that the solution will not be able to fit perfectly with your use case and other tools will be required.

I would rate this solution nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
    Cyber Security & Integration Individual Contributor at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
    Knowledgeable technical support, easy to install, and has useful features
    • "While there aren't many features, they're all useful, particularly the ability to store and retrieve content, and to proxy all of the features that an enterprise repository manager should have."
    • "The only thing that I would like to see is multifactor authentication. This is a critical feature that must be included."

What is our primary use case?

Sonatype Nexus Repository is our content repository for the programs we are developing.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enhanced the pipeline. It's a critical part of the DevOps infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

While there are not many features, they're all useful, particularly the ability to store and retrieve content, and to proxy all of the features that an enterprise repository manager should have.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see multifactor authentication implemented.

I have been working with Sonatype Nexus Repository for a couple of years.

We are using the most recent version.

It is a cloud, but it is limited to our company and is hosted by AWS and Azure.

Sonatype Nexus Repository is stable. It's solid.

Sonatype Nexus Repository is scalable, we are able to scale both vertically and horizontally. We haven't had any problems either way.

My current program has about 100 users, but they are not users, but rather a pipeline. The primary user is the pipeline. This solution is used hundreds of times throughout the day by the pipeline.

It's a critical piece of our infrastructure.

Technical support is excellent.

If you have a support license, which we do, it's very good. They are extremely competent, and they know what they are doing.

We have corporate licenses, for  SonarQube and Sonatype Nexus Lifecycle.

I am not sure how long we have had corporate licenses. Sonatype offers several products, including Nexus, Nexus Repo, and Nexus IQ, which I have worked with for a few years,  perhaps two, or three years.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The complexity of the setup varies depending on the type. The LFS type was essentially a three. Other repo types were a ten.

The deployment process was very simple, taking only a few hours.

We are integrators.

I completed the implementation. It's fairly simple to integrate.

Maintenance requires very little staff.

I can't quantify it, but we couldn't execute our pipeline without it.

It's a corporate license, but I'm not sure how much it will cost.

It was already in place, but I am satisfied with it.

What other advice do I have?

It should be integrated and become a part of your pipeline as soon as possible. The earlier you start, the better.

I would rate Sonatype Nexus Repository an eight out of ten. A score of eight, because, the multifactor is critical. That's why it loses a couple of points.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Senior Big Data Engineer - Machine Learning and Sentiment Analysis at a healthcare company with 11-50 employees
    Useful upload blocking, stable, and simple deployment
    • "The most valuables features of the Sonatype Nexus Repository are you can block any uploads that you do not want. For example, from Maven. Even though someone will try to create a pump file with a package not currently in our repository, they can go and get it, but it won't store it into the Sonatype Nexus Repository and therefore won't be propagated across the enterprise."
    • "Sonatype Nexus Repository could improve by making the experience working with CI/CD pipelines, such as GitHub Action or GitLab better."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Sonatype Nexus Repository for capturing or creating our software bill of materials, such as Maven, Python, no NPM, and Node.js Repos. They are open-source packages that we've scanned and that we want to keep as is. Additionally, we use it for our snapshots and releases of our own binaries.

What is most valuable?

The most valuables features of the Sonatype Nexus Repository are you can block any uploads that you do not want. For example, from Maven. Even though someone will try to create a pump file with a package not currently in our repository, they can go and get it, but it won't store it into the Sonatype Nexus Repository and therefore won't be propagated across the enterprise.

What needs improvement?

Sonatype Nexus Repository could improve by making the experience working with CI/CD pipelines, such as GitHub Action or GitLab better.

I have been using the Sonatype Nexus Repository for approximately

The stability of the Sonatype Nexus Repository is good, we did not have any performance issues.

I did not use technical support.

The initial installation of the Sonatype Nexus Repository is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others wanting to implement the Sonatype Nexus Repository is to make sure that it supports the language they are developing in. If you're a .NET developer, that would be a difficult language to use. However, if you want to do docker images, make sure you know what kind of docker to do.

I rate Sonatype Nexus Repository an eight out of ten.

Yogesh Fulsunge - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Consultant at Capgemini
    Great artifact feature, easy setup, with good technical support
    • "I have found managing the artifact features very useful."
    • "They could improve the user interface and REST APIs."

What is most valuable?

I have found managing the artifact features very useful.

What needs improvement?

They could improve the user interface and REST APIs. I found that JFrog has multiple features as compared to Nexus Artifactory. JFrog is more advanced, so it has many good features. The REST API is good. The CLI and the integration with other build tools are quite good in JFrog, so comparatively I found the Nexus has to improve a lot.

I have been using Sonatype Nexus Repository for the past year.

The stability of Sonatype Nexus Repository is very good.

I found that Sonatype Nexus Repository is scalable in multiple cases.

The technical support is good, although I have not had to work with the technical support a lot.

The setup was relatively easy and did not take a long time.

I currently use the open source version and enterprise version with my client. The cost is managed by the client.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Sonatype Nexus Repository an eight out of ten.