Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

SmartBear TestComplete OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SmartBear TestComplete is #4 ranked solution in top Regression Testing Tools, #6 ranked solution in top Test Automation Tools, and #7 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give SmartBear TestComplete an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. SmartBear TestComplete is most commonly compared to Tricentis Tosca: SmartBear TestComplete vs Tricentis Tosca. SmartBear TestComplete is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
SmartBear TestComplete Buyer's Guide

Download the SmartBear TestComplete Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is SmartBear TestComplete?

What is SmartBear TestComplete?

TestComplete is a reliable, sturdy automated testing platform created by SmartBear Software. SmartBear Software is a worldwide technological leader known for developing quality enterprise-class development and testing solutions.

TestComplete simplifies the process of creating tests for numerous applications, including, but not limited to; Desktop, Android, IOS, Web browsers, and Windows. Application tests can be manual, scripted, and even recorded by using keyword-driven or data-driven functionality. There are even additional options for error reporting and automated playback. The object repository is extremely accurate and is fully customizable. TestComplete can easily be used by experienced developers and even by manual novice testers to develop quality automated UI tests quickly.

TestComplete offers three different testing scenarios:

• Desktop: Users can easily and quickly automate UI tests using today’s most popular desktop applications, such as; Windows, Java, Python,.Net, VBScript, and more.

• Web: Users can effortlessly create renewable tests for all of today’s popular web applications, including JavaScript frameworks on 2000+ trusted browser and platform integrations.

• Mobile: Users can safely build and automate serviceable UI tests on actual or virtual android or IOS devices, locally or in the cloud. Users can create code or codeless tests. TestComplete seamlessly integrates with many of today’s popular frameworks.

Key Features

• Easily create automated UI tests: TestComplete offers scriptless Record and Replay or simple keyword-driven tests to quickly develop any type of UI test users may require. Tests can be recorded once, then replayed when needed across various applications on mobile, web, or desktop environments. TestComplete integrates with many different languages, such as Java, Python, C+, and more.

• Keyword driven tests: Users can easily divide testing steps, actions, objects, and data with an integrated keyword-driven test structure. This makes it easy for every user to participate in the test automation process; there is no programming experience needed. Everything is made simple with easy-to-use point-and-click options.

• Data driven tests: Easily distinguish data from test commands to keep administrative efforts simple. Users can improve overall coverage by running various automated mobile, desktop, or web UI tests.

• Record and Replay: Users can reuse created automated tests across every environment as often as desired. This helps to expand overall test coverage and represents a huge cost and time savings.

Reviews from Real Users

Sandhiya T S., Sr Solutions Engineer at Lexington Soft, relates, “The record and replay aspects of the solution are quite useful for people. With them, you don't have to write any scripts. Basically, you can record your actions and play them back later. The initial setup is also very easy.”

Sai S R., Staff Test Architect at a tech services company, says, "The most valuable features of the SmartBear TestComplete are self-healing, they reduce the maintenance required. The different languages SmartBear TestComplete supports are good because some of our libraries are written in Python, JavaScript, and C#. It's very easy to put them all under one project and use them."

SmartBear TestComplete Customers

Cisco, J.P. Morgan, Boeing, McAfee, EMC, Intuit, and Thomson Reuters.

SmartBear TestComplete Video

SmartBear TestComplete Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SmartBear TestComplete pricing:
  • "The licensing costs are in the range of $1,000 to $3,000."
  • "The price of SmartBear TestComplete could be less. The main challenge is when it comes to node-locked. They should use a subscription model, such as a monthly-based subscription or, a quarterly-based subscription. Their floating license is very expensive, and this high price should be reduced or provide, at a minimum, a subscription model."
  • "We have a TestComplete 12 license."
  • "It costs a few hundred per year, but I am not sure. It is not at all expensive as compared to other tools."
  • SmartBear TestComplete Reviews

Test Automation Architect at Watronix Information Technology Ltd
    Speed, configuration consistency, and accuracy of tests with fantastic results
    • "In TestComplete, I saw a conformed package of a tool that kept everybody in consistency. The team was able to regenerate further tests without having to manipulate more code because the record feature is great."
    • "To bring it up to a 10, I would be looking for the addition of some key functional API testing."

What is our primary use case?

I built it for a demonstration for my team and it's currently dealing with procurement as far as cost, et cetera. The demonstration deals with how the tool is easy to use for desktop and web applications and, of course, web applications on mobile devices as well. No mobile device applications yet. I was able to spend that also using the TestComplete cloud. Instead of building my own grid, I used the test Selenium cloud, which you could use selecting different platforms and different web browsers per platform and you could span them across multiple devices and that was extremely helpful. Building is the hardest part about the frameworks because there's really no right way to do it.

How has it helped my organization?

In TestComplete, I saw a conformed package of a tool that kept everybody in consistency. The team was able to regenerate further tests without having to manipulate more code because the record feature is great. Because we use JavaScript, we convert to JavaScript and then we just expand it from there and that was wonderful. The easiest way to start the test case or test scenario for design purposes is to put it on record, click it and I start messing with the automation. I was very impressed because I didn't have to step out of bounds of TestComplete and that's the kind of tool I've been looking for since I've been automating.

What is most valuable?

The most useful feature is the name mapping. It allows me to not have to worry about the object's name; I just use my alias.

This affected the way my client's organization functions in several ways. Number one is the consistency of the versioning. Everyone's using the same tools, same kind of code, same kind of coding methods. In case somebody's sick or out, another team member can pick up where they left off and keep going.

It's also great because that record feature is not for the mindless. The recording plate is not only there to help you start writing the test, it helps you as a tester or an engineer understand the business mindset of how they built the application. You have to go in yourself and click around. Then, it puts everything in code and then helps you understand. We were testing sites like pharmacies, hotels, insurance providers, and other commercial companies like PetSmart. That's where I was using it and that's where the conformity got a lot better.

What needs improvement?

I was going to say load and performance but I really didn't get a chance to get into the load and performance part of TestComplete.

I can sense there's still a little bit more room for improvement in terms of making the whole testing process easier. Because it was desktop first, it kind of focused on COTS-based testing and API's because everyone's using it at the moment.

To bring it up to a 10, I would be looking for the addition of some key functional API testing. What I mean by key is like the video streaming or a consistent flow of data being used and then how much can it handle and how much API testing can it do because that's where the load and performance comes in. The API testing is where I would see a lot more improvement.

SmartBear TestComplete
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SmartBear TestComplete. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using this solution on and off for about four years. About a year in total.

I have to say that scalability is pretty sufficient for now. I'm the test architect for the company and I have eight employees under me and we are all using the solution.

I would rate my experience with tech support as 10 out of 10. I had two emails and two calls with tech support. Within five minutes, my problem was solved. They were immediately aware of what I was having difficulty with and then showed me the right way to implement the solution.

We've been using Selenium with Java and it's too hard to manage the framework because everyone's changing it because they're running it locally and then they'll put it off the grid, but locally, they're building on the machine. I incorporated a Docker and I containerized the test framework so that now, new employees can go and just install the container but then there's still that engineering mindset. They want to go out and play, so it's just hard to manage. With TestComplete it's all encapsulated in one.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I didn't experience any bugs, glitches, or crashing. I was running 16 tests at one time using half of using my grid and half using the cloud and everything was running fine. I had to test and see if TestComplete could actually go on a Selenium grid and it did.

We're still kind of in the evaluation phase. The new requirements are still in development. So we're using this time to hang up our testing environment.

We're looking for more COTS-based tools or tool so we don't have to do as much management. We want a tool that does the management as versions up and then we just lock it down.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is: If you're looking for speed, configuration consistency, and accuracy of tests with fantastic results, go get TestComplete. If you're starting with it, you'll see how much more you can expand on it.

Vallalarasu  Pandiyan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Test Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Great AI features with good cloud scaling and helpful technical support
    • "The initial setup is pretty easy and it's quick to deploy."
    • "If that engine could better identify more XPaths automatically and make the process more flexible, that would be better."

What is most valuable?

The artificial intelligence aspect is very useful for us.

Scaling to a cloud environment is very easy.

Scriptless approaches are very flexible compared to other scriptless automation tools.

The object identification for legacy applications that are very old can still be automated by TestComplete. The object identification is very powerful.

The stability has been good in the latest versions.

Technical support is quite helpful and they have a good community you can look for answers in as well.

The initial setup is pretty easy and it's quick to deploy.

What needs improvement?

We have something called Name Mapping in TestComplete it is the only Name Mapping that is available for TestComplete. If they allowed two Name Mappings, or run Name Mapping in run time, that would be ideal.

TestComplete has its own XPath Identifiers. It auto-identifies the XPath of the application. If that engine could better identify more XPaths automatically and make the process more flexible, that would be better.

Code analysis would be helpful. If they could give us a code analysis feature, similar to something called Ranorex Coach (which will give us auto-suggestions of how to use certain things), that would be ideal. In Tricentis, they have a feature whenever we identify an element or automate an element, they give a unique identification element that the tool notes when we map. Here, we don't have a feature that can mention the unique object identification kind of stuff. We need to highlight it on screen and then we need to check it.

I've used this product for more than eight years or so.  It's been a while.

The solution is now very stable. Four or five versions previous to the latest, if I recall, in version 10 or 11, it had some issues. However, now it is highly stable. Currently, there's nothing to worry about in terms of the stability of the product.

The solution can be scaled across the cloud. It can be scaled using the automation framework.

Technical support is good. Either we can raise a technical support ticket with them, which gets answered in 24 hours or we can use the very good community that they have. Whenever we post a query, we are able to get the answer easily from the community. It's very helpful.

The installation is very simple. In just five minutes we can install it and we don't need to do any settings for resetting - such as, for example, how we do it for Selenium or other tools. We don't require much time to deploy it. In no more than five minutes it is installed and ready to go.

The price is moderate. It's not the cheapest or the most expensive if you compare it with other competitors. It's okay.

What other advice do I have?

My company is a partner of TestComplete. I am a senior test architect in our organization.

If a company has an ecosystem and they need to automate the web, desktop, or mobile, then TestComplete is the right tool. Even if they need enterprise application automation, it's very easy. On top of that, using a scriptless approach will save a lot of time. However, users are not limited to that. They can use Python, JavaScript, VBScript, or other kinds of options. You can import external Python libraries inside it, which will give additional capabilities to the tool. It's been very useful.

Overall, I would rate it at a nine out of ten.

SmartBear TestComplete
    September 2022
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Sr. Technical Manager - Testing Solutions at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A flexible all-in-one testing solution
    • "TestComplete is simple, it's a very easy-to-use tool."

What is most valuable?

TestComplete is simple, it's a very easy-to-use tool. It offers credibility and value for the money. A basic license is roughly $4,000 and you can add flexible components on top of it.

If you want desktop testing, you can add-on a desktop license. If you want web testing, you're going to want to add-on a web license — there's a lot of flexibility, you just need to pay for what you use. There are no irritating subscription models.

People are able to quickly use the platform and with a variety of scripting languages, including Python and JavaScript — all the modern scripting languages are supported. It doesn't just rely on VB script like UFT.

It's very flexible and robust in that way. I have seen many of our clients quickly adopting the tool with all the scripting languages.

Recently, they've been building a lot of futuristic features, for example, AI Self-healing is one of the interesting features where they try to improve and cut down on maintenance by automatically correcting the arbiter. That's a really cool feature for keeping your object repositories up to date, and it can considerably bring down or control your maintenance costs to some extent, at least as far as the object repository goes.

They also have some intelligent OCR features. They have a mini device cloud, for example, which allows you to run a testing tool and recently started supporting X spot. That actually goes well with selenium. You can reuse some of the scripts with other frameworks. They also acquired CucumberStudio a few years back. They have combined HipTest and Cucumber into one capability — CucumberStudio —, which is a great integration to TestComplete, that really becomes very seamless.

What needs improvement?

They're working on many features. Of course, the roadmap is not news to me, but yes, of course, they are working on different features.

I have been using this solution for many years.

We have not faced any concerns with respect to the stability of the tool; at least we have not seen any major issues with the tool where it malfunctions or anything, never.

It is a scalable solution. The beauty of TestComplete is that it's not tied to one scripting language. All the different scripting languages come with different abilities. You have different types of metrics and controls available with different scripting languages. That way we can drive our own framework. You can create many custom frameworks using TestComplete that will suit your organization. That's what we have been doing with many companies — it's an all-in-one solution.

The technical support is excellent. We don't deal with them directly, but the feedback that I have received from different clients is that it's really excellent. They are always attentive —  That's a feeling I've always got from different clients.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. There's a good license server map for all those things — it's a fairly straightforward solution.

The licensing costs are in the range of $1,000 to $3,000.

What other advice do I have?

We do a lot of consulting and training services for SmartBear. We try to educate the users in terms of the new features available in TestComplete so that they can do some smart automation. It's not just for automating some scenarios, you can optimize a lot of your effort.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Don Ingerson - PeerSpot reviewer
      Don IngersonQA Automation Engineer at Consultancy
      ExpertTop 5Consultant

Your review is well-written. Will TestComplete run on a locked computer?

Harold Rios - PeerSpot reviewer
      Director at Finding Technology Company
      Good automation and with an easy setup and a nice interface
      • "The solution has a very nice interface."
      • "Right now, when you buy the solution, you need to pay for one solution. You receive one set up and you install it and it's just in that one machine. It would be ideal if they could offer one subscription where you can connect to different machines with a group subscription."

What is our primary use case?

Mainly we use the solution for when we need to install or deploying in different applications, if necessary. We use it for testing for the most part.

What is most valuable?

It's a good solution. It works in Windows Operating System.

The automation is very good.

We can test an application across many programs with ease. We can test, for example, on Internet Explorer, or Mozilla, or Google Chrome, et cetera.

It's very helpful that, when you have a recording in one application, in one navigator, you can replay every step in different applications. You don't need to do any different testing in different programs, you only have to do one test and replicate it in different programs.

The initial setup is easy.

The solution has a very nice interface.

What needs improvement?

The one issue we have is that the tool was installed in a local machine. Now, it's more popular when you use tools that work in online environments. It would be better if it was available on the cloud. We'd like to access it on remote desktops. I don't want to have to install it on every machine.

It would be ideal if the solution could offer one subscription for time and one for life. Right now, when you buy the solution, you need to pay for one solution. You receive one set up and you install it and it's just in that one machine. It would be ideal if they could offer one subscription where you can connect to different machines with a group subscription. Or maybe they could offer different pricing. They need to be more flexible.

I've only used the solution for maybe one or two months at this point. It hasn't been too long. It's relatively new.

The solution is stable. We didn't run into any issues. It has been good so far.

The technical support is good. They are very responsive and helpful. We are quite satisfied with eh level of support they give us.

The initials setup is not complex at all. It's pretty straightforward. It's easy. A company shouldn't have any problems with deployment.

That said, it might be hard for a normal user. You need to do a few technical things. It helps to have a bit of knowledge on your side. Otherwise, you may run into issues.

You only need one person to set everything up.

We handled the deployment ourselves. We didn't need the assistance of an integrator or consultant.

The solution doesn't have a very flexible pricing model.

I didn't look at too many other options, however, this one had a special advantage in that it works on the Windows Operating System.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users.

I'd advise new users to take a look at what they need. They need to know if they need something that can test on desktop or on mobile, et cetera. This is a good solution if you need something that works with Windows, for example.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Staff Test Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Multiple languages available, good technical support, but integration could improve
      • "The most valuable features of the SmartBear TestComplete are self-healing, they reduce the maintenance required. The different languages SmartBear TestComplete supports are good because some of our libraries are written in Python, JavaScript, and C#. It's very easy to put them all under one project and use them. The are other features that SmartBear TestComplete has but the competition widely has them as well."
      • "In SmartBear TestComplete the integration with Jenkins could be easier. Additionally, some of the controls could have better customization options. For example, if a grid is used and it contains multiple controls within it, it can be a checkbox, radio button, or any kind of control, the way the Object Spy is operating currently there is a lot of room for improvement."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the SmartBear TestComplete are self-healing, they reduce the maintenance required. The different languages SmartBear TestComplete supports are good because some of our libraries are written in Python, JavaScript, and C#. It's very easy to put them all under one project and use them. The are other features that SmartBear TestComplete has but the competition widely has them as well.

What needs improvement?

In SmartBear TestComplete the integration with Jenkins could be easier. Additionally, some of the controls could have better customization options. For example, if a grid is used and it contains multiple controls within it, it can be a checkbox, radio button, or any kind of control, the way the Object Spy is operating currently there is a lot of room for improvement.

There are a lot of improvements that are required on the Object Spy, such as how we find the locators. That is a feature which I would love to see.

It is currently very tightly coupled to the SmartBear ID. There should be a way that they could support the integration with external libraries and make it flexible to integrate with open-source frameworks. This would be a good option to add.

I have been using SmartBear TestComplete for approximately eight years.

SmartBear TestComplete is a stable solution.

When it comes to customization controls the scalability of SmartBear TestComplete is limited. However, the assets are scalable. It's easy to scale across the solutions within the same limited functionality.

The technical support from SmartBear TestComplete is good.

The initial setup of SmartBear TestComplete is easy. The process is almost instant, it is very easy.

The price of SmartBear TestComplete could be less. The main challenge is when it comes to node-locked. They should use a subscription model, such as a monthly-based subscription or, a quarterly-based subscription. Their floating license is very expensive, and this high price should be reduced or provide, at a minimum, a subscription model.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to automation, the fundamental aspects are the stabilization factor, how easy it is to automate, how much is the coverage, and how much are you able to cover with respect to an application. There will be always areas that cannot be automated. The coverage, stabilization, and ease to automate are the areas that have to be improved. The better the pricing and improved pricing models, the more it will attract more customers.

I rate SmartBear TestComplete a seven out of ten.

Sandhiya T S - PeerSpot reviewer
      Sr Solutions Engineer at Lexington Soft
      Reseller
      Easy to set up with good record and replay features
      • "You can record your actions and play them back later."
      • "Right now, the product only supports Windows."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our automating our test scripts.

What is most valuable?

The record and replay aspects of the solution are quite useful for people. With them, you don't have to write any scripts. Basically, you can record your actions and play them back later.

The initial setup is very easy.

What needs improvement?

Right now, the product only supports Windows. We'd like to see it work with other operating systems as well. They should definitely be working with iOS, for example. That should just be a given.

The product is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is quite good. If a company would like to expand it, it can do so.

Technical support is excellent. If you reach out to them, they will get back to you within 24 hours.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The implementation process is hassle-free. I'd rate it a five out of five in terms of ease of installation. It's a very simple process.

The amount of maintenance needed probably depends upon your project and the number of test scripts you have. It is based on the complexity of your application. If it is straightforward, one person can manage it once it is automated. A larger amount of scripts may require a bit more maintenance, however, something that is low to medium is easy to handle.

While it's my understanding that clients don't seem bothered by the pricing, I can't speak to the actual cost of the product. That said, it is, as far as I know, competitive in the market.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller. I'm not coming from any organization as a consumer who is consuming TestComplete features. Actually, I'm a solution architect who is demonstrating the features of the tool to others.

While I tend to look at client requirements before recommending any solution if it did fit in with a client's need I would definitely recommend the product. It's very reliable.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten. While there are some gaps, we've been mostly happy with its capabilities.

Anitha Eswari - PeerSpot reviewer
      Engineer at Honeywell International Inc.
      Simple to install and use, with efficient scripting, but control IDs are not always recognized correctly
      • "When compared to other tools, it is very simple."
      • "During the distribution of our regression test cases, the control IDs are not always recognized correctly."

What is our primary use case?

I work as a tester for a company.

I use TestComplete in SmartBear and the open-source version of SoapUI.

We use TestComplete for our regression test case distribution.

What is most valuable?

For Windows application automation, we use TestComplete, and for API automation, we use SoapUI. When compared to TestComple, I find SoapUI to be extremely useful.

TestComplete is extremely efficient when it comes to scripting. In a single day, you can automate more than 100 test cases. If you write the code, Selenium allows you to automate only 10 to 15 cases.

When compared to other tools, it is very simple.

What needs improvement?

When we try to automate and keep the same script in a few cases, it fails due to control changes. You must have a session open when running in TestComplete, otherwise, your script will fail.

When compared to the competitors, it is a little more complicated.

Our frequency control IDs are getting changed. For example, if I develop a script in one mission and then try to deploy the same script in another mission, the script will not be executed properly.

Selenium is more efficient than TestComplete at the point of execution, in my experience.

In terms of execution, attempting to run a script from multiple missions will result in the script being deployed and failing to work in some of the missions.

It would be beneficial if they provided a new open-source library that could be integrated with Selenium. Currently, we must create Java bridge libraries in order to integrate with Selenium. It would be preferable to have a simple APA for consuming the Selenium feature console.

I have been working with SmartBear TestComplete for two years.

We've also phased TestComplete, a slightly lower version, and are looking into TestComplete 14, using the trial version.

This solution is used by myself and two other members of the same team.

I have not contacted technical support because I am using the trial version.

The initial setup is very easy.

We have a TestComplete 12 license.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SmartBear TestComplete a six out of ten.

Project Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
      Easy to maintain tests, easy to use, and good support and documentation
      • "It is very easy to maintain tests with this tool. It covers all necessary items in the test plan. The most painful item in testing is maintenance. When changes occur, the tests should be maintained."
      • "There could be API interfaces with this tool."

What is our primary use case?

It is useful for functional testing, testing backend database, and frontend user interface.

I am using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to maintain tests with this tool. It covers all necessary items in the test plan. The most painful item in testing is maintenance. When changes occur, the tests should be maintained.

It is a very easy-to-use tool. You don't have to be an expert in a specific syntax. You can just use graphical logic. If needed, it also allows you to apply some code. It is very useful from all perspectives.

What needs improvement?

There could be API interfaces with this tool.

I have been using this solution for about 10 years.

It is very stable. Their tests are running fluently.

We have three testers.

I have contacted them, and I got a very fast response and solution. Their support team was very helpful. Every question was answered professionally and quickly.

The help guides are also very useful.

I had used a browser tool.

It is very easy to install. It took about one hour to deploy the tool.

I implemented it with the guidance and help of the support team. It can be done by the testing team without any help from a consultant.

It costs a few hundred per year, but I am not sure. It is not at all expensive as compared to other tools.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this tool. You don't have to be an expert in this tool to start using it. You can start by using the help guides. It is very easy to understand how to make it work.

I would rate SmartBear TestComplete a 10 out of 10.

Download our free SmartBear TestComplete Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
      Updated: September 2022