Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

ServiceNow Now Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ServiceNow Now Platform is #6 ranked solution in top No-Code Development Platforms, #11 ranked solution in top Low-Code Development Platforms, and #14 ranked solution in top Rapid Application Development Software. PeerSpot users give ServiceNow Now Platform an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. ServiceNow Now Platform is most commonly compared to Microsoft Power Apps: ServiceNow Now Platform vs Microsoft Power Apps. ServiceNow Now Platform is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
ServiceNow Now Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the ServiceNow Now Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is ServiceNow Now Platform?

ServiceNow is the fastest-growing enterprise cloud software company in the world above $1 billion (2018 revenue was $2.6 billion, up 36% year over year). We deliver digital workflows that create great experiences and unlock productivity to approximately 5,400 enterprise customers worldwide, including almost 75% of the Fortune 500.

As a purpose-driven company, making work, work better for people guides everything we do.

ServiceNow Now Platform Customers
experian, beachbody, health partners
ServiceNow Now Platform Video

Archived ServiceNow Now Platform Reviews (more than two years old)

Delivery Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use platform that enables us to work seamlessly
  • "We work on it directly to send out tickets. It enables us to work seamlessly, we don't need to send them out manually. We can create a ticket and assign it in the system."
  • "The cost has room for improvement. It is currently expensive."

What is our primary use case?

It's part of a suite of other ServiceNow solutions.

What is most valuable?

There are multiple valuable features:

• Ticketing tools
  • Customers have access to this and they use it. We have an overall contract for it.

What needs improvement?

It is a good tool and we can do customization with it. Most areas are quite customized.

The cost has room for improvement. It is currently expensive.

Some of the features are very particular to the core. The workforce management is another area that can be improved.

Our customer portal is there but when a ticket comes it requires an additional tool. It would be helpful if they could have better integration with those tools. More standardization can be brought in.

My company has been using ServiceNow Now Platform for more than five years.

ServiceNow Now Platform
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about ServiceNow Now Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Overall, it is a very good product. There are bugs that could be improved.

Scalability is not an issue or a big challenge. You can verticalize efficiently.

I haven't needed to contact customer support. We have our own team that maintains it.

The initial setup is complex but it depends on the industry. It's not just following steps, it's change management. You have to get it standardized. Overall, though, it's okay.

The initial setup takes around a month, it's not a matter of days. It's a setup that can take time even if you know what needs to get done. In a larger organization, it's a major challenge. It will take more time to roll out.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

My advice would be that it's quite good but make sure to first look at the process. That is the most important part of the implementation. Look up ServiceNow and look at the process.

I would recommend this solution. It is an easy to use platform.

Pol Mas Viza - PeerSpot reviewer
Director, Business Process at Seidor
Good performance and provides a wide range of services
  • "The main reason that people use ServiceNow is that performance is very good."
  • "This platform is used more by large companies because it is a little bit expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and this is one of the solutions that we work with to offer services to our clients.

What is most valuable?

The main reason that people use ServiceNow is that performance is very good.

There is support for a lot of different services using any kind of device including desktops, laptops, and mobile devices.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with this platform for approximately two years.

We have not experienced any bugs or other problems with stability.

We are satisfied with the scalability of the ServiceNow Now Platform.

We have been in contact with technical support and they are good. They have good technical skills.

I have used other ITSM solutions and they often focus on just IT services, whereas the ServiceNow Now Platform focuses on a wider range. The services cover facilities, security, operations, and more. Other solutions are cheaper but they are too focused on IT services.

If you are familiar with this solution then the initial setup is straightforward. However, there are a lot of options so it can be complex. Some of our customers have found it unclear. It takes between three and six months to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on the size of the company and the scope. For large companies, this is a product that I recommend.

ServiceNow Now Platform
September 2022
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Service Delivery Project Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Provides a very high level of automation suitable for enterprise size companies
  • "The level of automation within the platform is great."
  • "The integration towards other ERP systems could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Including customers, we have about 3,000 people using the product.

What is most valuable?

The level of automation within the platform is great and is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution could use a more flexible license model for the product and the integration towards other ERP systems could be improved.

I've been using the solution for three years, but the company has been using it for much longer.

Stability is 10 out of 10.

Scalability is very good.

Aside from the fact that the license module is very expensive, it's a great product. It's the fulfiller licenses that are expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My only advice is that people should be aware that this is an enterprise system and geared towards enterprise size companies. If you're a small company it's not for you. You won't be able to maintain and manage and develop the platform if you're a smaller company.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Chief Operating Officer with 51-200 employees
A reliable low-code solution that is flexible and has good support for complex problems
  • "This is a development platform that provides us with a strong database and a low code environment."
  • "The basic reporting system is rather static."

What is our primary use case?

I am in a consultant position as the office of operating activity and business activity. I have one foot on the operation side and the other on the sales side of things. We implement solutions for our customers, and ServiceNow Now is one of the platforms that we work with.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very reliable, and they are proactive.

This is a development platform that provides us with a strong database and a low code environment. Many things can be carried out without answering questions, such as database architecture, database relationships between tables, and fields.

What needs improvement?

The platform is quite complicated, because of the basics of the software.

The basic reporting system is rather static.

The pricing of this solution could be reduced, as it's expensive.

The technical support could offer more in terms of basic inquiries. They thrive with more complicated issues.

I have been using this solution for eight years.

It's a stable solution. As they are providing a cloud system with multiple operation sites, in terms of reliability it's 99.97%

This solution is scalable. We can scale this product infinitely, which is what we expect from the Cloud. It's not just scaling, but descaling as well. If my company decides that they want to reduce their size then they will need to downgrade to something which is more aligned with the business.

In terms of technical support, if I rely on the usual scale of activity. They are not good at level one or two. They are good at level three, which means that if you have a very specific issue, something that is quite complicated, or it deals with the architecture of the platform, they are quite good. Otherwise, they are not good. For the basic use of the application or an issue that is a bit more complicated, the support can be improved.

The initial setup is more straightforward than complex. If you want it complex, then you can do it. The main risk of such a product is that you can invent things that have not yet been invented. But, if you want to go straight from out of the box, you can do it.

It's some kind of an intellectual approach. If you want it out of the box, use it, and take advantage of all these standard issues. If it is already provided by the software, it's fine. From my perspective, this is the way it has to be implemented. It's quite straightforward.

Customers can install it by themselves and request implementation through an integrator. This is the way this product has been built.

We installed it for ourselves, and we are the integrators for our customers.

It's expensive and if you need some analytical views of your activity, there is an additional cost.

Today, there is a product called Mendix that is a good development tool. At the time we selected this product, there were not that many providing the possibilities.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very reliable, strong product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
MalayKapat - PeerSpot reviewer
ServiceNow Technical Consultant - PPM and HR at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Service desk functionality that has many features and is highly customizable but comes with a high cost
  • "The workflow feature really has a lot of value because you can create complex workflows in a simple, intuitive way with only a few clicks."
  • "The pricing model is complex and needs to be both lowered and simplified."

What is our primary use case?

I am actually a development expert within the ServiceNow platform. So I implemented ServiceNow for some of our customers as well as within our company. I help them to implement some applications customers and configure what they need from the suite of management applications available within ServiceNow.

The most important thing we use this solution for is IT service management where users implement processes like incident management, problem management, or chain management. Incident management and problem management at its simplest can be a system whereby any user in an organization can report a defect. Say I am a user and my email is not working and I want to raise a ticket to get the problem solved. I use ServiceNow for raising that ticket. Another example is that if I want to implement new software, I need may need to raise a change request, so I do that in ServiceNow.

We are always on the latest version. There is a new version every six months, so there are two releases every year. That means every time there is a new release I have to upgrade, update my knowledge about the changes by becoming familiar with the changes, and then we have to upgrade the program for the customers as well.

What is most valuable?

The workflow feature really has a lot of value because you can create workflows in a simple, intuitive way. With a few clicks, you can actually develop quite a complex workflow using tool and product life cycles and so on. So, the workflow feature, in my opinion, is the strongest feature in the ServiceNow platform.

What needs improvement?

There are several areas of the product that could use improvement. From a vendor point of view, I had an opportunity to work with them on their licensing model. It still needs some improvement in the way the licensing model works because it is a little bit complex and difficult to understand. They change it from time-to-time and sometimes they do not communicate those changes effectively to their partners. Put simply, the licensing model is something that can be simplified and made more visible to both the partners and the customers or end-users. Currently, the product is comparatively quite expensive and lowering the cost would likely produce a better response from customers.

I know that the company is at work on many new things right now. But one thing I would expect to see in the next few releases is vertical-specific solutions. For example, say solutions for banking or healthcare-specific solutions. I believe they are going to come up with at least a draft version of this type of solution for some industries over the next few releases.

We have been using this solution since about 2016. So it is almost four years now.

I have complete confidence in the stability of the platform. It is very stable.

ServiceNow is very easy to scale — that is if the customer has the money to spend. It is quite easy to take on new licenses. It is very scalable.

Our customers can be any size business but in my personal experience, I work with medium to large customers. The solution is something that is used on a daily basis.

We have been in touch with their technical support and it is quite responsive and they are very good about providing solutions. We have a dedicated technical support desk that is quite approachable. For now, everything is quite good.

Before ServiceNow, I used other solutions, but mostly they were custom-built applications. For example, I used to code and develop an application from scratch. ServiceNow is the first product I have used software that is a dedicated service desk product.

I would say that from my point of view that configuring ServiceNow is pretty simple. But there are also a lot of things to consider. If you want to build a complex system, the configuration process can be complex as well. If you understand the software, you get a standard set of functionalities, but you can configure that for your own needs. For example, I had a situation where I knew a particular customer had some different requirements than what was provided out-of-the-box for the standard version. In this case, I was able to configure ServiceNow to match their needs. I can write complex scripts or I can do programming to build new processes within ServiceNow. But the implementation is different for every customer.

How long the implementation takes becomes a very open-ended question because they have so much existing functionality already in the product that may need to be configured and the need for customization depends on the user's requirements. There are so many factors involved that I can not really define an absolute amount of time required for standard implementation. It depends on the use case. The basic installation of the application itself can be done in ten minutes and the solution can be made to be up and running within three months. However, if you want to have a complex, custom-built chain management process, it can take years.

I am from a software development company and I work as a consultant as well as an architect for projects. Our operating model is that we work directly with the customer and we do the consultancy, we get into workshops with customers and discover their requirements and then our development team starts working on those requirements. So we have two levels. One is as a consultant who helps to finalize the requirements and the other is as developers who satisfy the requirements that have been defined.

As far as how many people it takes for the deployment of the platform, that can not be determined as a set number either as it requires knowing the scope of the project and perhaps other factors like the expected timeline.

We use a public cloud, but as our customer, you get a private instance. So you can think of it as an environment you can have in the cloud that is indicated for a particular customer.  As a customer, you do not get visibility as to whether it is in a public or private cloud. From a customer point of view, you do not know that or it is invisible to you. But in the backend, it now maintains their data and the platform using both AWS and Azure in the background and they use the cloud for that.

The licensing price for ServiceNow is somewhat high. The pricing depends on the number of users. For a similar type of application, the price of licensing for ServiceNow is on the high side. Actually it is 20% to 30% more than the nearest competitor.

There are technically not any additional costs besides the licensing fees from a customer point of view for the product. But, if they want to implement an application in ServiceNow, they may also have to pay for a developer's team to implement the solution. Once development is complete, they probably have to spend some amount for supporting and maintaining the application and customization, so that will also be included as an additional cost for the company using the solution even if it is not a direct cost for the product.

We have evaluated other products but within my company, I only work with the ServiceNow project and I have been doing this for the last four years. Sometimes part of our customer engagement requires that we do comparative studies. For example, we had a request from a client to do a feature comparison with the Pega platform. I got some detailed information from Pega's product development and other resources to compare with ServiceNow and did the comparison in that way. But in terms of development or implementation experience, I do not have any direct experience with Pega.

What other advice do I have?

The foremost thing I would like to recommend to people considering ServiceNow is not to try to reconfigure or customize the out-of-the-box process too much. Stick to the out-of-the-box processes that are provided as much as possible and use minimal customizations. We used to say to our customers to use maximum configuration but minimum customization.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the ServiceNow product overall as at least an eight.

SamirTafech - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Digital Enterprise Director at DetaSad
Readily available e-courses makes this solution easy to learn and use
  • "Learning materials, such as online courses, are readily available."
  • "The licensing for this solution, with respect to the user, needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have customers that we are assisting with this solution, and we are also using it internally.

We are providing and using ServiceNow as a KSA hosted solution on our cloud (DETASAD SAHABA), not the SaaS model and that therefore we are offering it for our clients as a world-class product fully compliant with Saudi security regulations with all data remaining is Saudi Arabia. ServiceNow is an integral part of our service solutions and all our clients benefit from it.

We have two modules. We have the ITSM and the WFM. The WFM is not activated yet, and I am working on implementing this.

Currently, we are only using the incident ticket request functionality. We are implementing the request for equipment, change management, and other request forms.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped and organized the support for our customers, in which the customer is always updated about the status of his inquiry, also our support teams are always updated of their colleagues intervention.

And from a management point of view, with the reporting and Dashboards the management is always updated about the open cases and the service delivery health status, and definitly quantify the work accomplished by the support teams.

What is most valuable?

Incident Management and workflow are the most valuable features for us for the time (at least for us currently).

Also Learning materials, such as online courses, are readily available. This solution is not difficult, and I have learned it from taking e-courses. I am actively giving the courses to my full team, because I want them to learn about it as well.

when it comes for the interface of ServiceNow is ok, and it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for between four and five years.

We use this solution on a daily basis.

I have fifty-two active licenses for this solution, and there are eighteen more that we are not yet using.

I have not personally dealt with technical support very much. The feedback that I have from the team is that the technical support is very helpful, and they are supporting us in a good way.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

As it is Cloud Hosted solution, the initial setup is as easy as setting up an application on a mobile phone.

ServiceNow and one of their local partners in KSA assisted us with the initial setup and customization of this solution. They were handling all of the maintenance and implementation before my arrival.

Not many people are required for maintenance. In fact, I'm building my team right now. I have two administrators, where one is a backup for the other. I'm preparing two developers for the process implementation, development, and configuration. These people are not dedicated to this solution.

All of the development work will be done in-house. We will be integrating it with SAP, Salesforce, and other platforms, and I need my developers to be involved.

We have definitely seen ROI. The most important thing for a director or manager is to be able to quantify the work of his team and to start building the knowledge base. This, by itself, is a return on investment.

After that, on the knowledge base and on the tickets, we can apply artificial intelligence and some machine learning algorithms. Ultimately, it will be like an automatic helpdesk. We just need to build some history first.

DETASAD service offering combined with our AI/ML platform will support predictive maintenance and shortly will be used to optimize our 1000 field and engineering force better to increase service levels to our customers further.

Definitely, every company will evaluate many service platforms before choosing the one that best fits the requirement.

What other advice do I have?

I am currently taking courses on this product to learn more about the platform, as well as the functionality that we have not been using.

My advice to anybody who is researching this solution is to have a better look at the overall capability of the platform. Many people, including us, understand ServiceNow to be a ticketing system. They do not see the other functionalities that are very big, and very important.

This is a great platform but it must be used correctly, and not only for ticketing. This solution was not well utilized in the company. Rather, it was treated as an application like Excel. When I arrived, I started forcing people to use tickets, and now I'm going to implement the workflows, processes, and everything else under ServiceNow.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Business Relationship Manager at Sasol
Good multi-language support, improves the end-user experience, and makes our lives easy
  • "We have seen a big improvement in the experience that we want to create for our end users."
  • "We would like to see AI used to automate some of the functionality in this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for taking calls, logging calls, and assigning calls.

We have just moved over to ServiceNow Out-of-the-Box, which is the general platform.

This solution is deployed in a hybrid-cloud environment.

How has it helped my organization?

In the past, we only had a solution that we could use locally. This solution has helped us to go global with our IT service management support. We were able to scale it much quicker and support the organization globally.

We have seen a big improvement in the experience that we want to create for our end users. The catalog used to be separated from the IT service, but now we have both of them running from the same platform. This means that we can quickly deploy solutions based on the request from our users.

The integration makes it easier for the end-users, as they can track the status of their incidents and their requests, and they can put in a new request. This one platform, where the end-users can manage all of their demands and see all of their devices, including their cell phone contracts, makes our lives easy. The end-users used to have multiple reference numbers and now there is one that a request or incident is linked to. They get updates, similar to the Amazon platform, where you can see the status of your order and you know how far away they are.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is cataloging the requests, which allows us to speed up the process and improve the user experience.

The knowledge management feature is now continuously learning from incidents.

What needs improvement?

In the next release of this solution, we would like to see mobile capability.

We have been using this solution for approximately three years.

We are impressed with the stability of this platform. We are part of Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. Even with multiple languages, it was easy to adopt and to provide users in their respective countries with language enabled according to their needs.

This is a very scalable solution.

Technical support for this solution is excellent. We have had the technologists visit us. They were part of the implementation. Overall, the support we are receiving from this vendor is excellent.

When we implemented and set up this solution for the first time, we did some customization. Now that we have adopted the Out-of-the-Box version, it means less customization. We are taking an "As-Is" solution so that we can use more capabilities for customizing it.

We made use of a service integrator to assist us with the implementation and deployment. We didn't deploy with our own team. These people were qualified and know the product very well, so our experience was very good. The platform providers were also supporting the service integrators.

We did evaluate other options before choosing this solution, but we found this to be an excellent product. We call it the SAP of IT Management.

We chose this product mainly because of the capabilities that it offered, and how they matched what we needed.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson that we learned through implementing this solution is that it is important not to customize. Rather, take the product offering best practices and adopt it with its own processes. This makes scaling much easier. Whereas if you customize it and if you build your own version, it becomes difficult to scale, support, and do the official upgrades. This is why we have taken the Out-of-the-Box version and have adopted the processes that come with it. It is working and we don't have to change it too much.

This is a very good solution, but there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free ServiceNow Now Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022