We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

SAP Process Orchestration OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Process Orchestration is #3 ranked solution in top Business-to-Business Middleware tools. PeerSpot users give SAP Process Orchestration an average rating of 8 out of 10. SAP Process Orchestration is most commonly compared to Mule Anypoint Platform: SAP Process Orchestration vs Mule Anypoint Platform. SAP Process Orchestration is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 86% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.
What is SAP Process Orchestration?
SAP NetWeaver Process Integration facilitates the integration of business processes that span different departments, organizations, or companies. SAP PI is based on general standards so as to enable 3rd-party systems to be integrated. At the center of SAP PI is an XML-based communication that uses HTTP (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol). Irrespective of the scenario used, the application-specific contents are transferred in messages in user-defined XML eXtensible Markup Language) from the sender to the receiver either via the Integration Server, or directly between the systems involved. SAP PI can be installed in different ways: Dual usage type installation: Based on both AS ABAP and AS Java. and Advanced Adapter Engine Extended (AEX): Based on AS Java only.

SAP Process Orchestration was previously known as SAP NetWeaver Process Integration, NetWeaver Process Integration.

SAP Process Orchestration Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP Process Orchestration Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

SAP Process Orchestration Customers
Lenovo, Dansk Supermarked A/S, Ego Pharmaceuticals Pty. Ltd, Kaeser Kompressoren
SAP Process Orchestration Video

SAP Process Orchestration Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP Process Orchestration pricing:
  • "There are fees in addition to the licensing."
  • "Looking at market conditions, vendors nowadays are giving products at very low price levels. However, SAP Process Orchestration have not yet reduced their prices. The prices could be reduced a lot to stay competitive."
  • "The license is a one-time payment, and additional costs are only incurred on the infrastructure side since it's an on-premise solution."
  • SAP Process Orchestration Reviews

Bhargava Krishna T
    Lead Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Gateway for all integrations that is stable and quick to install
    • "With the latest version what I find to be the most valuable are the REST, SuccessFactors, and Ariba Network adapters."
    • "I feel that support is an area that needs improvement. They need to improve the response time and address the customer's issues as soon as possible."

What is our primary use case?

We have several SAP systems in our landscape that have different modules incorporated in it, and we are using this solution as a gateway for the integration within our landscape of both SAP and non SAP applications that are within the firewall and outside of the firewall.

The primary use case of this solution is as a gateway for all of the integrations.

How has it helped my organization?

Process Orchestration supports everything from simple workflows to complex practices by developing custom process applications.

Improved message processing - With the process Orchestration Single Stack version the throughput of message processing is improved. This is due to the fact that until now the messages were recorded in both the ABAP and Java databases.

Improved Alert Mechanism - Alerts can be filtered by message content.

SAP Process integration Test (PIT) tool - The PIT Tool is a framework with which you can set up automatic tests for process integration scenarios. It really helped us in testing the interfaces post-migration and saved a lot of effort and time.

B2B integration is easier with SAP B2B add-on.

ccBPM's were migrated to NWBPM which Supports human and automated tasks.

What is most valuable?

With the latest version, what I find to be the most valuable are the REST, SuccessFactors, and Ariba Network adapter, OAuth 2.0 authentication,x-csrf-token, Improved alert mechanism.

Message deletion option.

NWBPM, BRM and B2B add-on.

The NWBPM is also valuable. In the previous version, they had ccBPM, which caused performance degradation issues. With the migration into the new version, the performance has improved and our customers are pleased with this improvement.

They have rules to configure directly in the integration directory that can be done within the interface itself, instead of configuring within the NWA and manually sending it to the users.

What needs improvement?

Dell Boomi and MuleSoft have dedicated application based connectors. All of these connectors work on the same protocols such as SOAP, HTTP, and REST. They have dedicated application connectors that can be for  Amazon, Salesforce, ServiceNow, Slack, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Workday, etc that are readily available to use.

When it comes to SAP PO, SAP provides SOAP, HTTP, or the REST-based adapters, which we can use to integrate with any of the above-mentioned applications / Webservices / APIs, etc. have to bit-customize to integrate with those particular applications. This is true when using REST, SOAP, or HTTP.

I feel both application-specific adapters and SAP provided adapters (SOAP /HTTP /REST) adapters, They Still use the same set of protocols to integrate/Connect with respective applications.

Customers will think that they had a dedicated application adapter that will make our life easier. We can just plug in, play, and use it. This is the way sales and customers think and they will tend to go with these tools.

Instead of maintaining so many tools, they should explore all of the features and offer just one tool. It would be good and would help customers as well as SAP.

Since they have a cloud version of integration to SAP CPI, it would be a good idea to provide a migration tool where we can install that tool and migrate the existing interfaces from Process Orchestration to CPA. Customers would appreciate the flexibility, and it would reduce the project cost and manual effort time.

We were using the 7.3 dual-stack version and recently migrated to Process Orchestration 7.5 (Single-Stack)version. We have been using it for approximately Nine months.

This solution is stable, we have not had any issues.

We have not yet explored the scalability as we are still in the evaluating phase.

Technical support response time is slow. It takes some time to get a response.

I have noticed that in many cases, even though we have priority one or priority two tickets, they simply change that to decrease the level of priority from P1 to P2, and from P2 to P3.

It can take a week to get a response to tickets.

No, We have not used any other Middleware solutions previously. We have implemented all the interfaces in SAP PI/PO itself.

With the previous version, it was a bit difficult and took approximately one week to install and set everything up. When it comes to Process Orchestration, it is a Java-based system that makes it easier when it compares to a dual-stack system, and since we are hosting it in Azure Cloud, it's not a large burden.

Deployment is less than a week with the updated version. Sizing and the hardware takes a matter of seconds when it is approved and once they procure it.

We are handling the deployment.

We have implemented it with the vendor team.

There are fees in addition to the licensing.

If we want to use B2B, which we use for sending and receiving messages to EDA, then there is an additional charge.

EDA is partners with B2B and you have to integrate them. You have to procure that separately because it is not included in the standard PO license.

Everything else is by default and B2B is the only addon that we have to pay for it.

We are currently evaluating several solutions, such as Dell Boomi, MuleSoft, and Informatica Cloud. These are the three tools that we are evaluating and will be comparing with SAP Processing Orchestration and SAP CPI.

We will be evaluating how much flexibility there is to move the existing logic. We have to consider both the migration from SAP to a third-party or from a third party Middleware to SAP. It may not be easy, as the main transformation logic that we have built on SAP propriety tools and the other tools. They may not have the compatibility, and we will have to read all of the logic again in those applications.

This all has to be considered before we can make a decision.

What other advice do I have?

We are still in the evaluating phase and we are still evaluating other tools that are available. Based on that, we will be having a round table discussion in a meeting to discuss the outcome and finalize whether we will migrate the interfaces or go with Process Orchestration.

They want to evaluate and list the pros and cons of all of the tools.

As per the automation roadmap, we are planning to move everything into the cloud. We are just evaluating the cloud, particularly tools that are available. Even though we are hosting on Azure Cloud services, it is still on-premises.

They have introduced SAP CPI, and I am not sure whether SAP Process Orchestration is going to be available for much longer as they are investing more into SAP CPI.

SAP CPI is the new IPaas tool that is improving and not a mature tool as SAP Process Orchestration. SAP is continuously improving and adding more features to SAP CPI.

Many customers are confused, whether they should invest in procure Process Orchestration or  SAP CPI.

There are some clients that invest in both  SAP CPI and Process Orchestration. because due to the current limitations in SAP CPI, they are not able to migrate all the interfaces from SAP PI/PO to SAP CPI.

If customers are considering investing in both, then they might want to think about the licensing costs. It will be a burden for them.

It will good to have a single middleware tool, instead of multiple middleware tools.

I don't understand why the product companies are releasing multiple middlewares to handle various integrations like A2A, B2B, and EDI integrations, etc.

It will be a burden for the organizations to procure multiple middlewares for their various integration needs. They have to invest more money in licensing and maintenance.

I feel it's a bad practice to develop several middleware tools from the same organization. Instead of developing multiple middleware tools, It would be better to have all of those features into one middleware instead of providing multiple middleware tools? It's more of a business gimmick.

I think SAP seems to be following along the same path as they have many middleware tools within SAP.

If you see the SuccessFactors, they have a SuccessFactors integration center (IC), where they can integrate the applications using SFTP / REST / SOAP protocols. The IC features are very limited to develop interfaces, it doesn't have flexible monitoring like SAP PO or SAP CPI.

Of course, the Integration center (IC) is having some advantages, but it will not suffice for the customer to all the integrations using IC and they have to still invest in Middleware.

The SAP CPI area has to improve a lot when compares with the other middleware.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
      Partner & SAP Netweaver Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      Offers good integration, data maps, and routing functions
      • "The product has good technical support but you usually will not need it because it is quite stable."
      • "The initial setup is easy."
      • "The monitoring governance offered by SAP is too technical and needs to be geared more toward business users."

What is our primary use case?

I have been a solution architect since 2005. I have a lot of experience with SAP Process Orchestration. I have a lot of experience with many kinds of integration between all kinds of processes. SAP Process Orchestration is the tool we chose to use to help us effectively design and improve workflows.

What is most valuable?

The components that we use a lot and find very valuable are the integration map, the routing and we also use planning products for SAP in order to map each process there. My colleagues and I have extensive experience in process development, solutions, and architecture.

All the integration, all the data maps, all the routing functions are good. These things are well managed by SAP. The ST-PI (Solution Tools Plug-In) that is part of the integration of the cloud services is also well-designed.

What needs improvement?

In my opinion, the part that SAP needs to improve in Process Orchestration is the monitor and governance. The monitoring governance offered by SAP is too technical. Only the consultants that have technical skills or development skills are able to manage this product. What is missing, in my opinion, is a better business monitoring component.

Our company creates business monitoring in UI5 and Fiori applications that help the customer to have a better view of what good monitoring is. With the technical monitoring of SAP, someone in the organization has to have technical skills rather than business skills. So using these solutions in combination, we are able to give the client another more business-oriented kind of monitor and governance which is not so technical.

I am a solutions architect, a consultant, and partner of a tech services company that does integrations since 2010. Our core business is process orchestration, process integration, development for SAP HANA, and mobile application development. I have some experience with some BPM (Business Process Management) and I have a lot of experience with PI/PO (Process Integration and Orchestration).

I would say SAP PO is stable because it offers the possibility to implement an architectural cluster with some nodes for the security layer and also for the stability. SAP PI/PO uses on-premises information. So if you have to connect an application on the LAN or potentially the same network, it is good. But if you needed to integrate an external service, you probably need to use the SAP PI product because the service is not an on-premise application.

The scalability of SAP PI can be adaptive as a solution for targeted software integration.

Since early on, I never needed a lot of support from SAP because their solution is stable. Probably the first time we used this product it was unstable, so we contacted them and they needed to issue a patch in order to fix some issues. But the latest releases of SAP are stable, so we do not need to use the SAP support often. When we do, it is good. If the customer pays to have the support, they are always available.

I previously worked with Dell Boomi. Dell Boomi is a part of the process for cloud server integration. We had previous experience with TIBCO. But mostly, our experience is based on SAP products.

The main differences or advantages of SAP over other vendors has grown. SAP is now one of the leaders in integration. But of course, if the customers need an integration broker or need a solution for integration, SAP is probably the first choice for the customer. Because if you have another product like Oracle or Microsoft, or third parties that are not SAP products — or the customer chooses a different solution like Boomi — all the integration of these applications may be more challenging.

SAP Process Orchestration can be used even if you do not have other parts of the SAP digital suite. But I recommend the PO or PI if the customer has another handler like SAP S/4HANA,  or HDCC. Otherwise, I suggest other diagnostic products.

The initial setup for the product is straightforward and easy. At this point, we deal mostly only with the application part. So when we have to integrate components on the back end, the basic part is not so difficult. That is about one or two days of work per layer. The initial part of the installation may take some time, but it is easy. You need to set up the communication between the third-party application systems and you have to hook that to the ethernet in order to get to the point where you start with development integration.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as an eight-out-of-ten.

Additional features that I would like to see in the next release to improve the rating would be to improve the governance of the monitor component and adopt SAP PI/PO with the new connectors that have the capabilities to work better with applications. All they are offering with the solution currently is the ability to integrate application to application or business to business.

Learn what your peers think about SAP Process Orchestration. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
      565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
      Robert Solomons
      SAP Process Orchestration Team Lead at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
      Enterprise Service Bus for application integration and data transformation
      • "Great monitoring tools and has its own alert framework."
      • "The older version of the solution will no longer be supported."

What is our primary use case?

We have 2 stances of the SAP PO 7.5 SP14 Java only and it is installed on-premise using IBM Hardware to support our on-premise SAP Applications and an instance installed on AWS to integrate our cloud application with other cloud application. We use the solution for application integration and transforming of data. Decoupling of systems is a feature of SAP PO that allows us to integrate systems without having to care about the data formats , communication protocols or security features of other systems on the bus. As a retailer, all our transnational data need to feed into our SAP system and visa versa to non - SAP systems . Example of this, would be raw point of sale data from the POS system to convert to XMLs and integrate it into the SAP system. We have a team of six developers that does development and support.Support issues are related to data and connectivity . Extrapolation data from other application systems are key to the proactive scaling of the system . We have built close to 700 Integration scenarios and process on average 1.2 m transaction per day.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature of the solution are all the connectors. I can connect to any environment, anywhere in the world. I can convert any message or data type. It has great monitoring tools and has its own alert framework as well. The really nice thing is that there's a big community and a lot of support. There's a clear roadmap and a vision from the provider as well so they keep you updated. and always notify us of the latest technologies. You have an indication of where the industry is moving and the direction we should take. They've never failed us.

What needs improvement?

The company has come out with a new version, SAP Cloud Integrator, which is not as good as the older version. They are trying to get us to move over to that even though the application is not ready yet. Technology changes and more people are going to micro services and API management tools, which doesn't provide all the functions that the project orchestration environment has. They have a great product but now they're moving into something new and discontinuing the old product. The community is not happy and I think SAP should listen to their clients, offer continuing support for the old product while improving the new.

I think they could work on simplification. There is a business process modeling tool that they have besides the integration side where you could have one point connected, one system, one source to a target system, but they have the process modeling tool, which basically allows you to connect users to each other. You can connect users within a system and then they can connect that system to another system and get a result. It's like an orchestration, a workflow. I think all of that could be simplified.

I've been using this solution for about 15 years. Of course, there have been many changes and we've had numerous upgrades over that time.

This solution is one of the most stable integration SAP products that you could possibly have. Everybody in our organization agrees with that. The only time the system is down is when we carry out maintenance or upgrades. This is a very robust solution, there are no glitches or crashes.

This is a very scalable solution. We can add additional server loads, server nodes. If I have web services that I'm calling and those web services get an additional 100,000 calls, I can easily do a simple config on my side to allow that additional data to come through.

Technical support is fantastic. We've had some specific requirements for our situation and SAP basically did the developing for us and then the deployment. They're always willing to assist in that respect.

If I consider the fact that I'm able to train someone within three months to do very straightforward development, integration development, then I think it's very straightforward. An organization using this solution for the first time they would need to get the vendor to assist with implementation. Deployment would probably take about a day.

What other advice do I have?

For any enterprise services, if you want to centralize your integration and have one central place that you move data through, instead of having all these various different connections, running all over the show, then this would be the system to use. You can easily set governance policies, see rules, and manage all connections in and out of your environment, especially from a security point of view. It's a great integration tool and a wonderful idea.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
      Infrastructure Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Secure with good documentation and a straightforward setup
      • "The solution offers very good documentation and manuals to assist with understanding the solution."
      • "It's very difficult to find errors in a simple way."

What is our primary use case?

It's a technical product. We primarily use the solution for our infrastructure.

It's a mid ware. We use it due to the fact that we need to deal with messages between our system and external systems. We need to construct communication channels, interface with them to define how much time or how many times we need to complete each interaction between the system. We also need it for monitoring issues, and we use Solution Manager to monitoring interfaces.

What is most valuable?

The solution is working well. We don't have any operational problems with it at all.

We don't have to load or deploy technologies from several vendors. It's a mid ware that provides us all that we need in a technical view. For example, if we need to use a Java connector, it provides this for us. It's a specific and specialized product.

The most valuable feature for us is the fact that we can deploy interfaces in a secure way. It helps us reduce vulnerabilities on the internet due to the fact that it allows for the best interface in a dedicated link between companies.

What needs improvement?

We centralize all interfaces that we need to have. However, we spend too much money and time to construct each interface. This is required due to the fact that the systems are outdated. We need to be working with new interfaces that are required in the SAP Process Orchestration or use an older interface that is not by SAP PO.

It can be dangerous if you don't have enough security, as you can be exposed to a virus attack.

It's very difficult to find errors in a simple way. There isn't a simple way to troubleshoot. When we working with Java technology, Java programming, we need to leverage tracing tools in order to find out where the problem is. It's difficult when errors occur. Troubleshooting is very hard.

Our organization has been using SAP for 15 years. We've been using this particular solution for at least ten years at this point.

The stability of the solution is good. It's a good tool overall. There aren't bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. We find it to be reliable.

All products from SAP have manuals and guides to installing in several ways. The client can choose at what level they want to deploy the product. They can deploy a simple installation without high availability or scalability.

In our case, our company needed the orchestration in high availability. It was a clustered installation. In terms of scalability, we needed to install additional application servers in the same installation. It's a simple way to have a stronger environment. If you need to grow processing you can just add application servers to the same position. Therefore, I'd say it's pretty easy to achieve scalability if you need to.

While we have a few IT people using the solution closely, in general, almost everyone is on it. It just works in the background, and they may not know it's there, and yet it is.

Technical support is excellent. SAP provides a portal online to allow users to post any kind of problems they need to solve. It's a good service and it doesn't cost anything. Overall, I would say we've been satisfied with the level of assistance provided.

While it does vary from company to company, the initial setup and configuration process is largely straightforward. Some companies may face more complexity.

In our case, it took us about two to four weeks to deploy the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are just an end-user and customer. We don't have a business relationship with SAP.

We had two PI or PO installations in my company. Both installations need to be updated or upgraded.

We have several SAP installations in our environment, and I can say that all of them need to be updated. My company takes a long time to make decisions in terms of investing in updating systems. The next investment will need, dozens of millions of dollars in updates. That's not in the local currency, however. We've been postponing updating since I've worked here. Over the next two years, we will need to start a project to renovate everything. We are thinking of installing SAP S/4HANA as all of the servers in our company need to be refreshed anyway.

I'd advise other organizations to not contract outsourcing to make strategies for the company. You need to have your own specialist on your team that can construct or design the strategies for the interface.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Atakan Köycü
      Co-Founder at Negzel Teknoloji A.Ş.
      Very Stable, Extendable with Excellent Logging Functionality also High Flexibility with Many Integration Adapters
      • "The solution provides very good and central logging systems. It offers high flexibility with vertical and horizontal extend capacity."
      • "In terms of technical support, it would be helpful if they handled the tickets a bit faster when queries are sent to them."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, my customers are using the solution for integration. There is so many possible scenarios. For example they are using RFC, IDOC, BAPI like SAP based protools and Database (JDBC), SOAP, File, Mail(SMTP) or REST API integrations. All these adapters are used bi-directionally, enabling a large number of synchronous and asynchronous integrations.

In addition, it offers different complicated solutions with extensive adapters such as expanded B2B, SalesForce and EDI etc...

What is most valuable?

There are multiple adapters and they are very good/native with SAP. There's a File/FTP/SFTP adapter, JDBC adapter, B2B (EDI) adapter, SOAP, REST.

The solution provides very good and central logging systems. It offers high flexibility with vertical and horizontal extend capacity.  It means; each node or cluster added horizontally is put into use fully effectively. Likewise, all the RAM and CPU added vertically are allocated according to the need and put into use.

The PO package has about eight or nine products inside it. Like SAP PI, BRM, BPM; so it's quite extensive.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more customizable. It's customizable, however, it's underdeveloped.  It supports custom modules, custom adapters, etc. but they need more time to truly develop them.

It would help if the solution offered flexible adapters like REST adapters or some custom solution. It would help make it a more flexible product.

I've been using the solution for ten years. I'm still working with it currently. Also have an senior level team in my own company that i manage.

The solution is very stable. In fact, it's amazingly stable. It's never shut down on us and we haven't witnessed any problems with the stability at all.

There are a lot of adapters, including non-SAP adapters. It's a good middleware product.

Typically the clients who have SAP are quite sizable companies. For us, some of the biggest companies in Turkey use this solution, so it can handle quite large organizations.

I've contacted technical support in the past when we found some errors in the product. Their support is based on a ticketing system. Usually, I get the answers I require. Occasionally they can be slow, but overall they're very good. We're quite satisfied with the level of service provided by them.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup was straightforward. It's not complex. Previously, in older versions, it was very complex, but now it can be installed in one day or maybe even over the course of a half-day. They've really worked to simplify things. It could potentially take a maximum of two days to deploy, but no more than that.

It only takes about one to two people to deploy the solution. To maintain the solution, typically my clients might need one or two people.

We have freelancers that assist with deployment and handle other tasks. I'm a freelancer as well.

If you get a PO license, you have PI, BPM, BRM, etc. All of these tools can come in PO, or can be available in a single package under a single license.

The licensing is based on a yearly contract. It is usually licensed per core, but may vary by country.

Some B2B or custom adapters may cost extra, but other adapters are included in the cost and free.

What other advice do I have?

I have my own SAP installation on my local server but I'm not using it on production items. I'm just consulting with my customers on their production environment.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If the solution was more flexible and offered external monitoring features I would rate it higher. The PI portion of the system is quite flexible, but I've had very complex integrations and had to develop an adaptive modem. It needs some more time to really come into its own.

I'd recommend the product to others. It's very stable and you can use it for SAP and non-SAP integrations.

Other
      Pranil Shinde
      Global Integration Lead & Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
      Single location management, effective monitoring, and easy to operate
      • "SAP Process Orchestration is middleware where we are able to manage and interact with everything from a single location. One of the most beneficial areas is monitoring which is very easy because it is all in one place. There are many adapters added recently that can be used for new functionality. The solution is easy to operate and it is more mature than the cloud solution provided by SAP."
      • "The solution could improve by making it more user-friendly by limiting the code required. We have to add some code in some cases where we need complex logic or some other functions. If this was able to be done in a more simplified manner then it would save a lot of effort and time."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution mostly on-premise but we have purchased a license for cloud processing which we are planning on migrating to soon.

In general, we use SAP Process Orchestration for e-commerce and e-invoicing for the government. Others, we have done Salesforce integrations as well. Most of our work is distributed to approximately 140 countries and depending on the regional requirements we have a few interfaces which are spread across all the regions, such as America, Europe, and Asia.

What is most valuable?

The improvement team from SAP Process Orchestration is good at taking in customer feedback. Recently we voted for an update to a migrating mappings issue that has now been added to the solution and that problem is now resolved.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by making it more user-friendly by limiting the code required. We have to add some code in some cases where we need complex logic or some other functions. If this was able to be done in a more simplified manner then it would save a lot of effort and time. By liming code like in case of dynamic variables usage.

We have experienced latency and reliability issues when using large amounts of data. In the future, they should come up with a solution to this problem. Latency in case of huge amount of data. Iterface gets timed out if data is very huge.

I have been using SAP Process Orchestration for approximately 11 years.

The stability is very good, we have not experienced any major issues.

The solution could improve in scalability. Files above 50 MB become a bit difficult to process. However, the scalability could improve if were using Microsoft Azure.

We have approximately 15 people using the solution in my organization.

We have experienced times where SAP support has not been able to solve our issue or other times they were not able to give back much feedback. There have been extended delays from one person to another. We have had some good experiences but they can improve on their knowledge and reducing delays.

We previously used other solutions, such as Xi and Pi.

The installation is quite easy to handle.  I have worked on previous versions also, this could be why I feel it is easy. It was easier for me to jump into the SAP Process Orchestration and feel comfortable with it.

We did the implementation of the solution using a team within our company. Additionally, they handle the migration, maintenance, patching, and updates.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend SAP Process Orchestration because it has currently reached maturity over the last few years. I can see on the online forums there are many questions raised by customers and SAP is slowly taking care of all the issues that people were facing. This is a good solution and they do not need to quit using it to move to a cloud version.

I rate SAP Process Orchestration an eight out of ten.

Antonio Valladares Fernandez
      Technological Partner at Code-10 IT Consultants SL
      The most mature SAP integration suite, enabling integration of any scenario imaginable
      • "In my opinion, SAP PO is the most mature suite of tools to integrate processes across SAP environments at this moment. It's really unbeatable because it allows you to integrate whatever scenarios you can imagine."
      • "I think the main area that SAP PO should improve on is offering pre-delivered content like they do when you use SAP Cloud Platform Integration (CPI). SAP should not forget that they still have a lot of customers using Process Orchestration and they should focus more on providing pre-delivered content in SAP PO."

What is our primary use case?

I am an integration architect involved in the implementation side of SAP PO (Process Orchestration) where we deploy hybrid implementations for customers. Of our ten current customers, most are technical users of SAP PO.

Every day we integrate more and more components with other components. Naturally, the tendency of the market nowadays with middleware tools like SAP PO is to have all the various systems integrated within themselves and with third-parties, and so on.

What is most valuable?

In my opinion, SAP PO is the most mature suite of tools to integrate processes across SAP environments at this moment. It's really unbeatable because it allows you to integrate whatever scenarios you can imagine. Compared to the rest of the tools available, including other SAP tools like SAP Cloud Platform Integration, it's the most well-developed and versatile suite on the market when it comes to process integration.

What needs improvement?

I think the main area that SAP PO should improve on is offering pre-delivered content like they do when you use SAP Cloud Platform Integration (CPI). SAP should not forget that they still have a lot of customers using Process Orchestration and they should focus more on providing pre-delivered content in SAP PO.

The other main problem nowadays is that there is no easy migration from SAP PO to SAP CPI. In terms of moving from Process Orchestration to Cloud Platfom Integration given all the connectivity requirements (not only within SAP environments, but also with third-party systems), I feel that there is more work yet to be done by SAP. In addition, the knowledge and know-how gained from using SAP PO cannot be fully translated into SAP CPI, so there's another area that they could look into making easier for users.

I've been using SAP Process Orchestration for the past 12 years.

It's a very stable and mature solution.

SAP PO is not as easily scalable as the cloud solution, but it is certainly scalable. That's the idea, after all. Every day you need to integrate more components with other components, scaling up as you go.

The technical support is good.

The initial set up is quite easy and straightforward. Of course, that depends on who does it, but with my years of experience, it's not a problem. All in all, it took me around one week for the installation.

I am the implementation consultant and I can say that the pre-requisites and staff requirements for implementing SAP are very target dependent, and it all depends on the project at hand.

Like most other middleware tools, it's not particularly demanding in terms of having lots of people involved. However, you do need professionals who are well-qualified.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that it's not a good idea to re-implement the wheel. It's better to go with secure and mature tools. And if you have a SAP ecosystem it's better to stick with the products of SAP. SAP PO is a very mature product and if you're going the cloud middleware route, I'd put forward that it's a good idea to have a hybrid test scenario with a combination of SAP PO on-premise and SAP Cloud Platform Integration together.

I would rate SAP Process Orchestration a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
      Software Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Has good process integration and standard adapter with EBA abilities
      • "The standard adapter with EBA abilities is the most valuable feature. It has good process integration."
      • "The cloud capability features need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the business work clause. Even though there could be multiple cloud-based applications in real-time, doing on-premise work, people need some kind of security within their internet server and to do transactions. SAP Process Orchestration would encourage you to translate and do many activities.

It has few disabilities. We can use standard EBA technology to transfer the invoices and make purchases.

What is most valuable?

There's a rule framework orchestrating the value right from the user role. If a user wanted to give access to someone or the other user has to delay the process order or access the process order, all those things can be orchestrated.

What needs improvement?

The cloud capability features need improvement.

New connection features will be released like OpenDrive, Dropbox, and SharePoint features. All of those connections have to be launched. Which will help develop us to integrate with many third-party products.

The user interface is good, but it can still use improvement in some areas.  can improve the UI areas. They should show a more graphical representation of the data.

I've been working with it for almost eight years now.

It is a stable product. It has improved performance, agility, and other areas of message transmission.

We can enable chat board integration with this particular tool. I have worked on a chat board integration project also. Scalability-wise, we can integrate any solution and it is highly secured.

We have 40,000 users using this solution.

The maintenance is very easy. From the server-side, there is the regular batch upgrade.

Their technical support is very good. The response time depends on how critical the problem is. They do give a proper response and everything so there's nothing to think about. It was very well handled by the product.

The initial setup was straightforward.

For EDA a setup can take around 80 plus hours for an end to end connection on BDN.

We use an integrator that helps with writing an ideally based product. The requirements keep on changing from the functionality of the business and users. We have to integrate and do the transformation based on that. It's very suitable for ideal based technology where the requirements keep on changing from the user and we keep on updating the map inspections.

The licensing costs are fair. There are no additional costs in addition to the standard licensing.

What other advice do I have?

SAP is the best solution for them to integrate with many other third-party systems or other VRP systems.

The messaging isn't good at being in real-time.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Download our free SAP Process Orchestration Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.