SAP Analytics Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Analytics Cloud is the #2 ranked solution in top Predictive Analytics tools and #5 ranked solution in top Business Intelligence Tools. PeerSpot users give SAP Analytics Cloud an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. SAP Analytics Cloud is most commonly compared to Tableau: SAP Analytics Cloud vs Tableau. SAP Analytics Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
SAP Analytics Cloud Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP Analytics Cloud Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SAP Analytics Cloud?

SAP Analytics Cloud is an all-in-one Software-as-a-Service business intelligence tool that provides the key functionalities of an analytics tool to SAP business users. This tool is built on HANA Business Intelligence (BI) platform, providing analytics from data collected from multiple sources, such as ERP, Microsoft SQL, and Salesforce, among other solutions.

You can use SAP Analytics Cloud to compile data and perform ad-hoc reporting and analysis for predictive planning. SAP Analytics Cloud collects and analyzes the raw data from transactional systems into intelligent insights that allow you to make better decisions.

SAP Analytics Cloud uses machine learning to clean up data, identify errors, and issues, and suggest optimization or filtering options. You can use the modeling feature in Analytics Cloud to create hierarchies and get deeper data insights.

The three core functions of SAP Analytics Cloud consist of Planning, Predictive Analysis, and Business Intelligence as a holistic SaaS solution that offers real-time analysis to business leaders.

SAP Analytics Cloud Capabilities

• Data discovery
  • Machine learning
  • Integrated financial and business planning
  • Predictive analysis
  • Automated data cleansing
  • Custom widgets
  • Mobile extension
  • Role-based customization
  • Data exploration and visualization

SAP Analytics Cloud Key Features

• Augmented analytics: SAP Analytics Cloud allows organizations to make the most of AI (Artificial Intelligence)-powered analytics through augmented analytics. It includes a Search to Insight feature that enables users not skilled or experienced in data science to access and use the platform.

These smart insight tools allow organizations to visualize business data without manual intervention. By combining multiple machine learning algorithms, SAP Analytics Cloud automates predictive analysis so that organizations can have significant insight into secured data.
  • Enterprise planning: As SAP Analytics Cloud is an all-in-one financial planning and analysis solution, organizations can use it to align strategies across all departments. It allows end-to-end, data-driven planning decisions via financial modeling, allocations, smart insights, and automated reporting.

The Zero-based budgeting feature allows for an effective resources allocation with built-in collaboration tools. The finance team can collaborate easily, create budget templates and make accurate decisions.

SAP Analytics Cloud Benefits

• Real-time cloud insights: SAP Analytics Cloud makes it easy for users at every level to generate instant insights and improve data-driven decision-making. With SAP Analytics Cloud, you can have immediate and central access to all figures, diagrams, insights, and evaluations for every employee on every device and updated in real time.

• Customizable dashboard: You can customize your dashboard according to your requirements. This customization means you can easily access all the relevant data on a single pane of vision tailored to your business.

• Collaborative planning: As an all-in-one platform, SAP Analytics Cloud integrates the multiple aspects of a business into a single solution, including finance, HR, sales, and supply chain management.

• Data on any device: You can integrate SAP Analytics Cloud with SAP S/4 HANA and deploy insights to Android and iOS devices. The SAP S/4 HANA integration also enables the rolling out of changes to multiple files and devices from a central location, so you can carry your business operations on the go over a secured cloud network.

• In-memory technology: Since it is based on SAP HANA in-memory technology, SAP Analytics Cloud can process massive amounts of data in a short time.

Reviews from Real Users

Segun O., SAP HANA Developer at SOA PEOPLE, says that "The most valuable features are on the application side, where you can design applications into your analytics on the platform."

The Head of Finance Enterprise Application at a computer software company adds that "The visualization feature is the most valuable. SAP Analytics Cloud is also very easy to use."

"Its many features make it the best in the market," sums up a Consultor SAP Business Object, Sap Analytics Cloud at a tech services company.

SAP Analytics Cloud was previously known as SAP BusinessObjects Cloud.

SAP Analytics Cloud Customers

Live Oak Bank

SAP Analytics Cloud Video

Archived SAP Analytics Cloud Reviews (more than two years old)

Segun Oyeleke - PeerSpot reviewer
SAP HANA Developer at SOA PEOPLE
Flexible, easy to use with a rich number of templates, but they need support for more languages
  • "The most valuable features are on the application side, where you can design applications into your analytics on the platform."
  • "They need more support for more languages, Python for example."

What is our primary use case?

I am a developer and I work mostly on the technical side.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are on the application side, where you can design applications into your analytics on the platform.

There are many scripting capabilities with a language that is close to JavaScript. It's not exactly JavaScript but it's a spin-off of it.

It has a rich number of templates included that you can enhance.

It's easier to get going on, compared to other solutions.

Many of my clients are apprehensive when you have to deploy the solution. They ask you if the data could be transferred to visualization software.

It's cloud-based, and what's good about the cloud is that it doesn't need to store any data. It can read your data and generate it from the NetApp file. It can generate your model or how your model is going to look like. You don't need to transfer your data set to the cloud to report on.

It's quite flexible.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved. It's quite expensive.

I don't know how usable it is for other platforms.

In terms of connectivity, if you want to report on live data you have to use what is called the calculation view. It's a graphical view of SAP HANNA, but it's quite limiting as a structure.

They need support for more languages, Python for example. I know that Tableau does this quite well.

If you can integrate more features from the programming side, it would enhance analytics especially the languages that are more analytics-based such as R. I think SAP Analytics Cloud supports a measure of R but could be enhanced.

I may have a narrow view of its usage, but I think that it is quite dependent on SAP environments.

I have not encountered any clients who are using it for Oracle ERP or an Oracle database and are reporting are using SAP cloud.

It's quite, vendor narrow. For an analytics platform, it's quiet, vendor restrictive.

I have been working with SAP Analytics Cloud for a year and a half.

SAP Analytics Cloud
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about SAP Analytics Cloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's quite stable.

It's a scalable product.

We work with medium-sized enterprise companies, but mostly large-sized clients use SAP. Pharmaceuticals can be used as an example.

It has good technical support.

Previously, I have tried Tableau but not project wise in terms of deployment. I have a lab where I can do some trials.

Also, I have worked with PowerBI a little bit but not in-depth.

It's quite expensive and costs a lot to maintain, especially with licensing.

What other advice do I have?

If the client is SAP-based then I would say it's quite okay to implement this product.

It's stable, provided they have the budget for the licensing which is, I think most of the time, the bottleneck. Also, they have to consider other supply systems, their internal users. What is the diversity, how many of them work on strictly SAP solutions, and what are the compatibility issues where you cannot be stuck with one product?

I think it's pretty much okay provided you can scale and then it depends on how technical the people are. So, we have two variants of it in SAP.

There is the SAP Analytics Cloud Discovery, which is just mainly for discovery analytics. You basically create SAP reports, nothing advanced. Then you have the Designer, which enables you to do a little bit more scripting and other advanced features. Depending on the end-user population, you can train down towards the pure basic reporting or really develop an application on it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Consultor SAP Business Object, Sap Analytics Cloud at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Analytics privacy is the best in the market in BI platforms
  • "It's many features make it the best in the market."
  • "Connection and integration with other applications have a lot of restrictions at the moment."

What is our primary use case?

We have many use cases. These include the SAP Analytics platform tool and the SAP Analytics Cloud project. Some of the tools these products provide tend to fit the same situation. But other use cases can depend on the clients' resources including on-premise servers, or on-premise application. There are many installation requirements, for example in Cloud connect. We often need consultancy support from SAP to assist us.

How has it helped my organization?

SAP Analytics Cloud is very popular amongst most companies around the world. There are three editions of the product.

What is most valuable?

The analytics privacy is the best in the market in BI platforms. SAP Analytics Cloud has a planning tool and integration tool. It is the best business intelligence platform. It's not very complex. Its many features make it the best in the market. It also has new extra storage. I have had very good experiences with SAP Analytics Cloud. There are many standards for setup. The SAP Analytics Cloud connects with the SAP ERP Central Component (SAP ECC) or S/4HANA (SAP's ERP for large enterprises) or any other things around the application server. SAP Analytics Cloud has machine learning installed, which includes a Smart Discovery and a smart BI tool. It's the best feature if you need machine learning. The Smart Discovery is the best tool for me in catalog discovery tools. In addition to SAP Analytics Cloud, there is SAP Data Warehouse Cloud, includes other tools about business intelligence, and SAP HANA Cloud tools

What needs improvement?

SAP Analytics Cloud can connect to any server architect, database server, or application server. There are many models for implementation to the Cloud or on-premises. The implementation process for SAP Analytics Cloud could be improved, as there are many application servers, in the company. Also, there are many applications. This implies there are many KPIs to connect with other applications. Connection and integration with other applications have a lot of restrictions at the moment. As a result, the implementation process is complicated. SAP Cloud connect is easier to implement on-premises. Future releases could include a provision to remove some of those restrictions.

Previously, I had 15 years of experience with SAP BI, using Business Objects. I have been using the latest version of SAP Analytics Cloud, for two years as a consultant. I used SAP Business Objects premium, previously, and SAP Analytics Cloud version. My related lengthy experience with Business Objects has helped me learn SAP Analytics Cloud more easily in the last two years. I am mainly experienced in using the IDM tool. I lead on Cloud installations and I have had a lot of training. I also know the core model design. I can explain the model design and related server applications. My main experience is with the design model. I have experience with graphics transformations. Also, I have designed KPIs tools in SAP Analytics Cloud working with customers to specific KPIs. I consider design knowledge to be the most important task for daily tasks. For example, in S/4HANA or SAP ECC, we have to design services, for backups and data.  In Venezuela and Latin America, we have to design the ETL process and model those in the SAP Analytics Cloud. We also have to design the dashboard for the customer. Many companies have SAP in Venezuela. As a freelance partner, I work independently. Companies utilize my services when they have a specific implementation of an SAP application they need.

It has many features as a platform. SAP Analytics Cloud has various editions. It depends what it's going to be used for and expected. It has a public edition, and an SAP Analytics Cloud public edition. SAP Analytics Cloud also has a premier edition, which includes customer tool access. The premium edition is the paid-for edition. The premium addition also has better access than the other editions of SAP Analytics Cloud. The client is a large commercial company specialising in telecommunications. I'm working on support and implementation at the moment. Stability can sometimes depend on the size of the company, as a smaller company will generally have less complicated requirements than a large company. It also depends on the design model, and the consultant to know the model and the required customer solution.

You need to know many things about the business. SAP Analytics Cloud, requires consultancy implementation. You have to have good technical skills and knowledge in your business unit or area. These are major concerns. My previous experience with business intelligence products has helped with implementations of SAP Analytics Cloud. It's easier if we have the assistance of a BI consultant, and the team have knowledge about the implementation. The team must be trained in SAP. I keep my knowledge of SAP, and the latest improvements, up-to-date daily. I run webinars for staff, as I am required to train others. The recent versions of SAP have many improvements, but staff need to be kept in the loop about these. For example, currently, I am looking at HANA Cloud within the platform. It is always important for the team to keep the documentation up-to-date, so that, if anything changes or features are added it is included with the latest information.

Implementations are usually carried out in conjunction with the vendor team, which includes SAP and BI consultants.

What other advice do I have?

The best way to keep up with relevant information about SAP Analytics Cloud is in public forums. I check those daily, including any blogs. There are many useful articles on the internet about SAP Analytics Cloud. I rate SAP Analytics Cloud as a 10, based on the implementation, functionality to the users and it is the best tool to measure KPIs in the Cloud.

Other
SAP Analytics Cloud
November 2022
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Santosh  Pallai - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables us to allocate, spread, and distribute actual figures
  • "In the most recent release, the schedule publication was officially updated and it's been added on MS Office 365. I like how we had an EPM for B to C perspective; it's a great enhancement. Also, I believe the B to B connectivity has been improved. Android support for mobile is really good also. Power BI has always had android support in place, so manual support for SAP Analytics Cloud is also a very good feature."
  • "Custom visuals is another area of improvement. There are also some mobile features that are missing. There are features that aren't available on the mobile."

What is our primary use case?

My VP asked me to work with my plan number to figure out how to increase and support our sales region. On the planning admin, I created a model and then imported actual and forecasted data. From that, I was able to determine the variance. We managed to plan this with small amounts of data.

We created a planning model and enabled it to make a planning checkmark that works with the time category in the tab dimension, in order to bring it down to the lowest granularity, by month, start date, and end date.

We created an organization dimension. A responsible person to monitor each region is required. Then you can drag and drop the region hierarchy from the parent.

Then, we worked on the calculated numbers, for example, the gross margin, which was the total revenue minus COGS. We then divided that number by total revenue times one hundred. From there, we could pull the data from the file and select source actuality to validate it.

We performed all of this using SAP Analytics Cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

In the most recent release, the schedule publication was officially updated and it's been added on MS Office 365. I like how we had an EPM for B to C perspective; it's a great enhancement. Also, I believe the B to B connectivity has been improved. Android support for mobile is really good also. Power BI has always had android support in place, so manual support for SAP Analytics Cloud is also a very good feature.

Smart Insights have also been enhanced, especially in regards to the Stories.

Apart from that, I would like to see more data-handling enhancement. Smart planning can give us immediate results.  When we come to analytics, If we could get more enhancement, we could probably completely skip the data warehousing concepts. This would be a big improvement.

With all of the new updates, now we can combine different types of data together and give our customers a full picture.

I am happy with the new release that is coming out. It's comparatively a little slower than the version we had from 2019-2020; however, the enhancements they have added are much better than previous versions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that we can allocate, spread, and distribute the actual figures.

What needs improvement?

The cost is an area that could be improved. I also think that Ofice 365 should be incorporated. People would find it to be more user-friendly with Office 365 integrated. Flat file integration can be a distinguishing factor.

Custom visuals is another area of improvement. There are also some mobile features that are missing. There are features that aren't available on the mobile.

There should also be better connectivity tools for HANA and Success Factors. They have minimal visualization relations and they have the third-party add-ins.

I have been using this solution for the past six months.

We have 300-plus Stories that we already had in the system, that we had to do performance tuning. I brought it down to 267, to be exact. We had over 302 dashboards and then we brought it down to 111 stories on 267 visualizations. When we have too many pages, the performance gets impacted a little on the initialization part. When we open the story, it takes a little bit of time because it's not on-premise. Because our clients are based in the Netherlands and we are based in Bangalore, we had to manage the different time zones, and the business hours are different. We had to find out during the peak business hour how the SSE behaves.

We found that in the peak business hours it does slow down a little bit, considering the internet speed and everything. We did take everything into account. Then we checked the performance and the data also. In order to be competitive with the other software in the market, a little enhancement in this part also would give the upper hand compared to other BI tools.

We used to go in a cognitive window wherein we don't have any caches in place, so that we could get an accurate picture of the performance. But we also want to reduce the number of filters, and then we want to do more slicing and dicing across the data and try to see how it improves. In the near future, we would try to test the data more.

It performs quite well. Custom visuals would definitely help us to improve a little more.

There are more viewer licenses. We have got close to 130 users for Analytics Cloud. And for developer access, for read and write, at our location we have around six plus two for planning, altogether 11 to 12 licenses.

We have BW HANA. So we have only four developers as of now. We used it more extensively before the pandemic but not as much now. We do have plans to increase usage in the near future.

The technical support is quite good. Any time there is a new release and we have any issues, we connect with the technical support team and then go ahead and write about it in a blog so that the other users can also get help for similar issues.

We previously used Cognos Analytics and Tableau. I've done a couple of POCs on Tableau and worked on micro-strategy. We switched to SAP Analytics Cloud primarily for the planning, development, and the user-friendliness. When SAP comes up with a solution, they definitely try to be up to market. The features were not in a premature stage. We had faith that SAP had enhanced features compared to other BI tools.

The initial setup was pretty easy. It was also easy for my team. They thought it was easy to install. There's no download, there was no complexity.

We do the maintenance for it because we know the ins and outs of the development. We also do the admin.

What other advice do I have?

If you are new to SSE and are trying to implement SSE in your project, don't think that SSE is an SAP product. Look into the features because I am sure you'll be satisfied with the features. They come out with the releases. I go into the release notes to understand what are the enhancements are. This will make it easier to understand.

If you have somebody who isn't as experienced with BI, even that person can still learn SSE and can cope up with the BI requirements. In India, if you want to be a BI compatible, you have to have at least three years' experience so that you can understand all of the data warehousing concepts, and EDL. With SSE, learning is very smooth and easy.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

The missing point would be because of the performance.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Head of Finance Enterprise Application at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A scalable and easy-to-use solution for visualizations
  • "The visualization feature is the most valuable. SAP Analytics Cloud is also very easy to use."
  • "The security, authorization, and live connection to the back-office system features can be improved. A business analyst colleague who creates complex financial management reports has mentioned that he wants to see more fact and visualization features. It would be helpful to have more visualization features to be able to prepare more stories or reports for executives. For example, Tableau has some visualization features that are not present in this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for publishing financial reports.

What needs improvement?

A business analyst colleague who creates complex financial management reports has mentioned that he wants to see more fact and visualization features. It would be helpful to have more visualization features to be able to prepare more stories or reports for executives. For example, Tableau has some visualization features that are not present in this solution.

I have been using SAP Analytics Cloud for two years.

We experienced some upgrades and interruptions recently. I would say it has a 95% availability.

It is scalable. Agility and scalability are the benefits of the cloud solution. If I want to put 500 users tomorrow, I just simply add them. I don't have to worry about performance, service, memory, and all the other things.

We have between 50 to 100 users who are accessing SAP to see their reports. They need to see financial information. They might be viewing these reports on a weekly basis or a monthly basis.

We have created some tickets through our partner for some issues related to the maximum available fields, the number of lines to upload, or some restrictions related to the cloud. We get monthly upgrades on the cloud for functionality. In the next month's upgrade, thankfully, they will include the resolution of the problem. I would rate their technical support a seven out of ten.

We have used On-Premise BI, Webi business objects, SAP business objects, and Tableau. We moved to SAP because we recognize the value and advantage of SAP Cloud Analytics over other solutions.

The initial setup was simple. It took us a day to deploy it.

Initially, we started to use it ourselves for simple reports and simple uploads from Excel files. It took us less than a day to see a simple visualization of the report. In the next phase, it got more complicated in the sense that we implemented a single sign-on and live connection to the back-office systems. We had some SAP experts who helped us with what should be done.

It is not the most expensive one. You have to do the cost-of-ownership analysis and take a lot of things into consideration to come up with the conclusion that it is cheaper or not, but its price is reasonable. It provides value for money.

What other advice do I have?

SAP Analytics Cloud is an easy-to-use tool that can help you to analyze data. It also depends on the industry and what you want to use it for, but it is an easy tool.

Before start using it for advanced reports, I would suggest spending a month learning this tool well. Because it is so easy to use, when you start using it for doing complex things in the beginning, you might realize that you haven't done it the right way because you didn't have the training. Don't get too enthusiastic about the ease of use of SAP. Do get the training and learn how to make proper reports, how to appropriately use the models, how to connect to on-premise systems, and how to implement live connections. After that, start building complex reports and use it for productive work.

I would rate SAP Analytics Cloud an eight out of ten.

Analytics Practice Lead at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Offers business intelligence and inbuilt AI capabilities, useful for both technical types and general users
  • "Offers both business intelligence as well as inbuilt AI and machine learning capabilities."
  • "AI doesn't work as well with SAP live connections."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as part of an embedded analytics use case for an ERP application. SAP are starting to embed Analytics Cloud as a solution within their ERP application, which gives you the options for closed-loop analytics, as you go from insights to action within a single ERP application. It can also be used to bring together multiple data sources, different sources of data from various applications and use the application to blend and trade analytics solutions across different parts of the organization. The product suits small to large enterprise, it supports all user types. We are partners with SAP and I'm an analytics practice lead.

What is most valuable?

A point of differentiation in the market for Analytics Cloud compared to other analytics products, is it offers not only business intelligence within the application, but also it has inbuilt AI and machine learning capabilities that can be used not only by data scientist types in the organization, but for general users who can get the benefit of inbuilt predictive features in the tool. The other really compelling part of it is that it's also a planning application. You can do full life cycle from plan through execution in a single platform. That's quite unique for SAP. A lot of the other software vendors do analytics products and they do planning products. This is quite a unique combination that has both BI predictive and planning in a single application. And that's really where its strengths is.

What needs improvement?

I think what could be improved is a lot of those intelligent features that I mentioned, the AI and predictive functions within the tool work really well with data that you import into the platform, but it doesn't work as well with SAP live connections. If they could make those predictive features available to any source, whether it's SAP or non SAP, it would be a really, really compelling product.

I'd like to see formatted reporting as an additional feature, such as pixel perfect style formatted reporting. I'd also like to see the product on parity when you compare acquired data and live data models, to know that the features are identical.

I've been using this solution for two years.

I believe the stability needs more work. The product was first released about five years ago and it's still maturing, which means a lot of new functionality is released with each update. Sometimes that can be a little bit disruptive as features change.

The scalability is pretty good, you've got options of either having it publicly hosted, or you can also have a private hosting option in a restricted area in the cloud data center. You can also add capacity to it quite easily. It's elasticity as an application for scale-out is pretty good. And underneath the covers, it runs SAP HANA, which is an in-memory database. So that makes a pretty performance. I'm happy with it.

The technical support could be improved.

I would say that Analytics Cloud is definitely improving although it's not yet fully comparable. There are some features in BusinessObjects that are not yet in Analytics Cloud, but I would say, from my perspective, that the overall the benefits and advantages of using SAC outweigh BusinessObjects.

Initial setup is somewhere in the middle of straightforward and complex, it just depends on the source of information. It's not overly simple and it's not overly complex. We have the solution up and running with customers in three weeks for a trial, and that's sending up the application, connecting it to their source systems and demonstrating one really good example of a dashboard or report. We carry out the deployment internally. There's very little maintenance required because it's software as a service, a SaaS offering, a lot of that housekeeping and maintenance and upgrade of the solution is managed by SAP, by the software vendors. Again, that's one of its strong selling points, it requires very little administration overhead.

I believe that SAC is cheaper than BusinessObjects for a basic user license. It's difficult to compare because one is an on-premise pricing model and the other is subscription based. You're not really comparing apples with apples. For some of the more advanced functionalities, though, it can be more expensive. Analytics Cloud is subscription-based. There are different tiers of licensing that give you different access to different functionalities, but assuming you have all of that, there is no additional hosting or set up costs, its fully included in the price per user.

What other advice do I have?

It's really important to think about data governance in the solution because it's very much a self-service application. It can be quite open for users to create their own versions of data, so it's really important that you think about customers, think about a data governance model to make sure that there's clear ownership of data, and there's a clear single source of truth for enterprise data in the model. It's easy to create a situation where it's open, but you still very much need to consider having a data governance strategy that underpins your Analytics Cloud implementation.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
it_user1269450 - PeerSpot reviewer
EPM Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
You don't need a lot of technical knowledge to use the product and it is very easy to learn and easy to use
  • "I like the predictive features of SAP. It's easy to use tools for an end-user."
  • "Pricing is fine for the BI license, but when it comes to client license, that fee is a bit high."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consultant, so we build solutions for customers. Some of their use cases are for dashboarding, business intelligence, predictive capabilities, and planning.

What is most valuable?

I like the predictive features of SAP. It's an easy to use tool for an end-user.

You don't need a lot of technical knowledge to use the product and it is very easy to learn and easy to use. It gives you flexibility in designing your own dashboard with its new analytics designer.

These are new features that they implemented three or so months back. It provides you the ability to design your own dashboards with more flexibility and it opens more opportunities as well.

What needs improvement?

I have been using SAP Cloud Platform for the past year and a half.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Sometimes it has less flexibility when doing something. You can only do with what is available in SAP. We can't double up anything in SAP. I would take off two points for that.

AkinbiyiOgunware - PeerSpot reviewer
SAP Associate Consultant at Deloitte
Excellent predictive analysis and integration with third party applications
  • "It integrates with third-party applications such as Google Drive and Excel,"
  • "Currently only one data modeler can work at a time."

What is our primary use case?

The version was launched about a month ago. We are in partnership with SAP, we're gold members. We implement SAP a lot. Working with open-source data in terms of Google Drive.

The primary use case is working with open-source data in terms of Google Drive and other platforms. The environment currently runs on SAP, so SAP Analytics Cloud is a good way to go. The client can get value for money, instead of having to bring Oracle into an environment in which the integration might be clumsy. It makes sense to have SAP on the ground because they are running currently on HANA, which is why SAP was the first option on the list.

What is most valuable?

I love a lot of things about the product. The first is Smart Discovery and Smart Insight. It's amazing having predictive analysis and AI algorithms. A second valuable feature about SAP Analytics Cloud is the fact that it integrates with third-party applications such as Google Drive and Excel, which is amazing. Also the look and feel of the product, the user experience is very, very intuitive and the collaborative support that you have within the solution means you can share pictures, make comments, etc. It's very collaborative.

What needs improvement?

Improvement could be made in the pricing of the product which is very expensive, more than Oracle and Power BI and similar solutions. Currently, only one data modeler can work at a time. If you're working on a project and you have five data modelers, for example, if person A corrects or makes a change, person B won't see it. It makes it difficult because if you have three or four modelers working on the project, everybody should be able to work seamlessly without having to disturb one another. That's my only negative about SAP Analytics.

In the next release, I think they need to have voice-driven analytics, rather than just clicking and texting as it is now. A voice to text solution would make it funkier and more amazing. A move to include Android mobile platforms, would also be good, currently, it only works with iPhones and other Apple products. The number of people using Android is huge, so if they can extend the mobile platform to Android it'll be great.

I've been using the product for about seven months.

Though it is a relatively new solution, it is stable.

I've been in touch with technical support because SAP has a presence in Nigeria. We can also get support from South Africa, and that was really helpful.

I think deployment took us about a month and I think that was because this was very, very robust. Once you're able to get the data models it's just a matter of uploading.

The client actually wanted SAP. We checked other vendors to see if they could match what SAP could offer.

What other advice do I have?

The program runs on the cloud. We push the data from the source offline entirely in the cloud, and the cloud takes over the analytics. It's a bit of a hybrid solution for now but we are thinking of moving fully into the cloud so that everything just happens in the cloud, and we get our insights and our KPIs displayed on the dashboard.

There can always be improvements and updates are coming in regularly but if you can afford this solution I would say 'go for it!'

For now, I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
it_user885657 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good for planning KPIs and has a user-friendly setup
  • "One feature I've found most valuable is discovery."
  • "Improvements are coming quarterly whereas previously it was on a monthly basis."

What is our primary use case?

I use it if I want to see boardroom dashboards, or to see a combination of things in a chart. I also use it for planning analysis.

What is most valuable?

One feature I've found most valuable is Discovery. It is a logistics tool that will place the dashboard for you on the fly. For example, if you select a country, it will give the entire picture of where a product is high and where it is low. Another feature is peak capabilities in the applications. Another is planning KPIs

What needs improvement?

Now, improvements are coming quarterly whereas previously it was on a monthly basis. Even with this, it is still a market leader.

I have been working with SAP Analytics Cloud for almost one year.

I don't know that it's stable. This cloud is occupied by major businesses who want to do a dashboard on the fly with data discovery.

In terms of scalability, it is cloud-based so it is scalable.

No one should be able to go into our access, but they will give the space. You're the owner of the product space.

I have rarely needed to be in touch with technical support for the setup.

Previously, I used to work with products called Explorer and HANA and they didn't support it in a quick manner.

I have previously used Tableau.

The initial setup was easy and user-friendly, I did it by myself without any consultant.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I'd give SAP Analytics Cloud an eight.

SridharSelvam - PeerSpot reviewer
Practice Head at ERP Logic
The fact that it's integrated means we don't need to rely on an independent planning environment
  • "Planning is the most valuable feature of the product because it's integrated and that means we don't need to rely on an independent planning environment."
  • "When it comes to planning there is a concern about the ability to match the exact requirements of the customer with what the product offers."

What is our primary use case?

Although we currently use version 4.2, there are upgrades very regularly. I work for multiple clients and each client has a different version. It depends on the analytics cloud SAP are distributing to their respective clients. For now, we have 10 clients but the plan is to expand this.

What is most valuable?

Planning is the most valuable feature of the product because it's integrated and that means we don't need to rely on an independent planning environment. We have all the data available in ACP and fixed cloud and we use the same data for planning.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, planning can sometimes not work the way we expect it would or should. Most of our customers are from VPC. They want to typically assimilate the scene and reflect what they are using. We sometimes have a hard time assimilating the same information on VPC.

I do understand that each and every product has its limitations. We are able to retrieve the information the customer is looking for, but whatever they are doing in VPC is what they want to be able to do in SAP, so SAP really needs to focus on that area to ensure that whatever they are doing in VPC is also in SAP.

For additional features, I have to say that so far they satisfy the requirements. I haven't worked on the planning models or the predictive models, but when it comes to planning there is a concern about the ability to match the exact requirements of the customer with what the product offers.

I've been using this product for almost two years.

It seems to be a stable product and we haven't had any issues. It works as expected and in the long term, stability will really depend on how they update their system.

The product is scalable.

We have, on occasion, contacted SAP for some of the issues we've had and they then forward it to the technical department who email us and solve the problem. We haven't opened any waiver messages.

The initial setup was complex. If the information is straightforward then it's fine, we're able to retrieve and carry out the basic operations, data actions, data logging, etc. and deal with it ourselves. But when you're trying to aggregate more information, for example, if you have a previous year's data and they want to see it as one column and for the current year they want to see a monthly view, it's possible in VPC but not possible in SAP.

We carry out the implementation ourselves and there is a great variation in the time it takes. It depends on the customers' requirements. With some of our customers, we were able to deploy in three weeks, but there were others that took up to four months. It depends upon the directives we receive from our customers. Not every customer has the same requirements and each customer is unique and we need to plan accordingly.

What other advice do I have?

For now, we are only using the solution on public cloud but we have several customers in the pipeline and we are planning to use private cloud for future clients.

I've worked for many business warehouses over a period of 18 years and I strongly recommend this particular product because whatever I do in multiple tools, in reporting or dashboarding, for example, I carry out a planning process where everything is integrated, so I strongly recommend SAP.

I would rate this product a 10 out of 10 because I'm impressed with its function.

it_user1220244 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Practice Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good user interface, filtering options, and integrates well with other SAP products
  • "The user interface is quite good for developing reports out of models."
  • "There is no direct connector from SAP to Redshift, so we are required to use a third-party product that was recommended by SAP."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The filtering options are useful.

The user interface is quite good for developing reports out of models.

What needs improvement?

There is no direct connector from SAP to Redshift, so we are required to use a third-party product that was recommended by SAP. Going forward, we would like to use connectors that are developed by SAP directly and do not require us to pay any additional licensing fees. In general, this solution should support as many databases and data warehouses, including cloud-based deployments, as possible.

There are a couple of complex reports that we cannot generate using a live connection. With the full data option, however, it is possible.

Hierarchies are not supported as of now, so it would be great if there were support for two or three-level hierarchies. It is helpful when we can drill down further into the hierarchy.

I would like to see more enhancement in terms of AI and ML. Currently, they have R visualization support in the product using a direct plugin. We need to have support for Python scripting, as well.

I am a consultant and I have been working with SAP Analytics Cloud for six months.

The solution itself is stable as of now, but we have had some challenges with connectivity. We're not sure if it is related to SAP or AWS, and it is stable at the moment, but we have had challenges.

With respect to scalability, we have only uploaded about half a million records as a pilot for the customer. At this point, we are not pushing more because we don't have the data. We do have plans to build in that regard, but for now, we cannot fully judge scalability.

We are developing solutions for enterprise-level companies.

The technical support is fine, and we have not had a problem. The SAP expert team is there if you need to speak with them.

Most of the technical support we are getting is from the marketplace. We get very good information from the SAP support portal.

For analytics, I have been working with SAP for the past twenty years. I have used the on-premises solution of business intelligence.

The initial setup is straightforward. The first time we deployed this solution it took between three and five days. This was due to some complexity that we had, including connectors. After our first experience, it now takes a maximum of two days to deploy if we have the proper documentation and connectors.

We have also recently tried Tableau and they are also pretty good. I do not find much difference between them. It is, however, the choice of the customer.

Some people like the Tableau reporting, whereas others like the SAC reporting, and it is based on the data being reported. SAC is pretty new on the market so Tableau is more flexible in terms of legacy support. A good example is Redshift. Tableau has a direct connection and SAC does not.

We have also used QlikView in the past.

What other advice do I have?

We are trying to get the reports out of AWS Redshift. We are consolidating all of our data in the Amazon Data Lake, and we have it in AWS S3. It is from there that we are pushing to Redshift, but we had a challenge because there is no native connector.

This is a solution that I recommend to anybody with SAP in their landscape. We used to prefer QlikView and Tableau, but as of now, I suggest trying SAP Analytics Cloud to see the results first. There is a lot of seamless integration and you can avoid a lot of licensing costs. It is also pretty good at connecting multiple SAP systems together. It is quite useful in terms of data connectivity, data transmission, and modeling.

Our customers definitely prefer SAP Analytics Cloud on Amazon Redshirt, regardless of the third-party connector that we had to use.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Abdul-Rasool - PeerSpot reviewer
Abdul-RasoolSenior Practice Manager - Head of SAP at a tech consulting company with 201-500 employees

Highly recommended for Cloud Analytics, reporting and planning .

Sudhir Kanakoti - PeerSpot reviewer
SAP BIBO Consultant at NTT Data
Stable solution for developing automated reports and dashboards
  • "Provides rich features for developing automated reports and dashboards."
  • "SAP Analytics cloud needs better exporting options."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use SAP Analytics Cloud for developing automated reports and for developing dashboards. The BW takes queries and provides the reports and dashboards.

What is most valuable?

I find the linking analysis, blending and predictive analysis features most valuable. Additionally, Smart Insights is a good feature.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if it had multiple PowerPoint marks built-in so that it could be shown in PowerPoint presentations. It would also be helpful if you could download this external content onto the Flash File.

I began using SAP Analytics Cloud a few months back.

Up until now I have not encountered any kind of stability issues.

Right now we have 30 to 40 users using it, with plans to increase.

There is no problem with SAP Analytics Cloud support. I do think there should be some training provided. We only have eBooks. I don't think we have any kind of e-learning. It would be good to have SAP training for Analytics Explorer, including some instructor-led training.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Deploying SAP Analytics goes from development to production. It doesn't take much time and is very quick. Setup depends upon the requirements as well as the back-end work to be done.

It's usually around two hours or less.

When deploying SAP Analytics Cloud, they should provide documentation on clear steps regarding the migration.

We implemented it ourselves.

Regarding pricing, I don't know exactly how much it is. I am not aware of the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anyone looking into SAP Analytics Cloud to go for it.

One a scale of 1 - 10 I would rate it an 8. To raise that score they need more exporting options.

Project Manager at Infrabeat Technologies Pvt Ltd
Good graphing and easy to use but needs predictive analytics
  • "The ease of use of the solution is its most valuable feature. We haven't tried all of the features yet. The graphing and the ease of using the analytics tools have been great. It's all drag and drop; you don't need to code anything."
  • "Statistical analysis should be a bit more profound than it is."

What is our primary use case?

We're using the solution to analyze our clients' data to create dashboards for them to decipher the sales patterns, income generated, geographical locations of sales, etc., to get a better understanding of how to spread out the user base.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use of the solution is its most valuable feature. We haven't tried all of the features yet. The graphing and the ease of using the analytics tools have been great. It's all drag and drop; you don't need to code anything.

What needs improvement?

Improvement-wise, it would be great if there were more analytics features in the time series. Having an accessible, easier time series or trying to incorporate more analytics products like ARIMA would be a good addition.

Statistical analysis should be a bit more profound than it is.

The ability to clean the data up would be helpful.

You have to create your own data sources and that's when you have to connect to SAP. If we could go through an SAP source, then design what kind of data we want to pick for an audit in SAP, that would be ideal. I don't want to need to audit the user creator. It would be better if we had the ability to have one person go in and say, okay, I want this data from these different tables. Then, in the backend, it could create it. That would be a vast improvement.

I'm not sure how many databases can really connect to the solution. I've just used Oracle and HANA. They need to ensure the amount of data sources they can connect to is high so that they can compete with a solution like Tableau.

I've been using the solution for three months.

The solution is quite stable.

I'm not sure if the solution is scalable as I haven't tried to expand it. According to the data I have of the sources of data that I am collecting, it's fulfilling my requirements right now.

Currently, whatever data I have, it seems able to handle it quite easily. It becomes a bit slow at times, however.

We have clients that range from small to medium-sized enterprises. Some have a user base of around 60,000.

I've never contacted technical support.

I've used Tableau and R in the past. I've also worked with SAS a bit and Python coding among others. When I came to the company, they were using the solution.

There's not too much awareness of SAP except for SAP HANA. Many companies have invested in Tableau or Click, but if the pricing was better, this solution might become more popular.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant as well as a user of the solution.

We're a small team that does work for our clients. If our clients want analytics done, we use the solution to work on their data. Our team is about 15 people. Our clients are typically small and medium-sized enterprises.

With some clients, there'll be some hand-holding with them to understand how SAP benefits them. At the same time, we've got some real large giants who have 3,000+ users and they are using a CPS room. They want lots of analytical capabilities. Some use Tableau or Click. The awareness of this solution isn't as good as those.

I'd recommend others try the solution. It's quite a good tool with a lot of features and different user levels. Users don't need to be trained professionals; anyone can start with smaller analyses on their own. A few video tutorials should be sufficient to get someone started. It's only when you get into more complex items that you may need more assistance.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

VishalGuthula - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Software Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
User-friendly and the visualizations are good, but the reporting needs to be improved
  • "The most valuable features are the visualization and user-friendliness."
  • "We are currently working on connectivity with S/4HANA, but we would like to have better connectivity with our legacy systems."

What is our primary use case?

Right now we are doing a PoC on finances and production planning. The most important part is the connectivity and visibility between our legacy system and the cloud. We are testing these things.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the visualization and user-friendliness. It's like a self-service platform. If the connectivity is good then anyone can log in and use it.

What needs improvement?

We are currently working on connectivity with S/4HANA, but we would like to have better connectivity with our legacy systems. If they improve third-party connectivity then it would be great for us. No company has SAP alone; they have multiple databases and multiple technologies. The ability to connect to all of these other systems is important.

More functionality has to be added in terms of additional tools and reporting. In our on-premises, BusinessObjects solution, the reports have more crisp and precise visuals. The reports are very cleanly done, and we would like this same functionality in the cloud.

I have been using SAP Analytics Cloud for between eight months and a year.

This is not a very stable product. It is in its infancy, and although it has not been crashing, the stability needs to be improved.

I think that this solution will scale.

Currently, we have a couple of thousand people who are using this solution. We are just in the prototype and testing phase and deciding how we will introduce this into the company. After our testing, we will decide how it will be inserted into our daily productivity and improve the company's profitability.

The people using SAP Analytics Cloud are in a variety of roles. Most of them are middle-level developers and managers. Perhaps fifteen people from senior management us it.

We have been in touch with technical support, and I feel that the people who are working are not very technical at all. They only looked at the notes and read, but we had to tell them that we had already done all of these things so we need something new.

What finally stopped it was that the product managed who actually worked with the tool got involved and was able to easily solve our problem.

Overall, I would say that the technical support is fair. It is not excellent or good, but fair.

I am using SAP BusinessObjects in addition to this solution. It has some advantages in terms of additional tools and reporting, which is why we cannot switch at this time.

SAP does the setup and maintenance of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to first look at the connectivity that is required. Second, look at the functionality and the visuality that you are going to need. If you are looking at simple things, like traditional visualization, then this solution is good to go. However, if you're thinking about more complex scenarios with more complex logic, then you may need to wait.

Senior Consultant at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Eye-appealing visualizations and good predictive analytics, but more standard chart types should be included
  • "The Smart Predict, Smart Insights, and Smart Discovery predictive analysis features are quite good."
  • "Some of the standard visualizations, such as a speedometer or a goal chart, are not there and should be added."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting firm and we implement SAP Analytics Cloud for our clients.

This solution is for digital boardroom purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

Our clients do not have knowledge of business analytics, so we assist them by implementing this solution for them. Our customers are made up of medium-sized companies with fewer than one hundred employees.

What is most valuable?

The visualizations are quite eye-appealing.

The Smart Predict, Smart Insights, and Smart Discovery predictive analysis features are quite good.

What needs improvement?

Some of the standard visualizations, such as a speedometer or a goal chart, are not there and should be added. These are available in other solutions like R, but with SAP you need to have R code written for them. This can be time-consuming.

I have been using this solution for one and a half years.

This solution is stable.

This is a cloud solution so it is definitely scalable. On average, our clients have between 20 and 30 people who are using SAP Analytics Cloud.

I have also worked with SAP BusinessObjects and QlikView.

The initial setup can be a little bit complex when it comes to establishing the connection. We have seen some difficulties with that. There is a big list of things that you need to go through.

The same things can be done using Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on several things including use case, budget, and licensing costs. Tableau will do the same thing as this solution.

If cost is not a problem and you want to try something new then I would recommend SAP Analytics Cloud.

Sr Advisory Technical Specialist at IBM
Good reporting, stable, and easy to install
  • "All of the modules that we used to have separately in our on-premises solution are now integrated into one platform."
  • "I would like to see reporting to the Analytics cloud directly."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and SAP Analytics Cloud is one of the solutions that I work with.

We created our queries in SAP BW and then we use them in Analytics Cloud. We have modules like MFI and reports.

What is most valuable?

The quality of reports for the users is very good.

The Application Designer is a good tool.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see reporting to the Analytics cloud directly. As it is now, we can integrate text reports in Analytics Cloud, but every time we create a model then we have to design the reports. It is taking a long time because we have fifty to sixty reports.

I have been using this solution for two to three months.

This solution is mostly stable.

We have two or three people using this solution, although they are not using it full time. We have given them training, but they are taking some time to get acquainted.

I would rate the scalability a seven out of ten. I have not used all the features and not used the application designer yet.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

Prior to this solution, we were using Business Objects. We were more acquainted with the WEBI tool and Crystal Reports, and have now moved to the Analytics Cloud.

We switched because, in the future, SAP Cloud is going to support export to HANA.

The initial setup of this solution was quite simple.

I did face a little bit of complexity when I was connecting the Analytics Cloud to BW, but everything else was fine.

We performed the implementation in-house.

We thought about going with Tableau Cloud. We attended some sessions on SAP Analytics Cloud and learned about the integration with HANA, and we felt that it would be very good so we chose it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is thinking about moving out of their standalone system is to implement this solution.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

reviewer1131582 - PeerSpot reviewer
User at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Easy for cloud-based story development with powerful what-if analysis functionality
  • "The new Application Design option offers lots of customization options by being able to script in Typescript (similar to Javascript)."
  • "There should be more features for the time series charts."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using this solution for story development on the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a very easy solution to learn. It took us only one month to grasp all of the SAC concepts.

What is most valuable?

The new Application Design option offers lots of customization options by being able to script in TypeScript (similar to JavaScript).

It provides easy predictive capabilities with a large number of options to choose from, including date handling.

The what-if analysis sets it apart from other reporting tools like Qlik and Power BI!

The most valuable features of this solution are:

• It is Cloud based.
  • Predictive analysis
  • Application design/analytic application.
  • The "what-if" analysis.
  • Easy date handling including options for ytd, lytd, etc.
  • There are lots of table features including adding comments.
  • Responsive pages.
  • Smart Insights.
  • Smart discovery.

What needs improvement?

The next release could include features like:

1. A community that creates custom charts.
  2. Table cell size formatting.
  3. Formatting options for Data Labels.
  4. Allowing comments within small teams.
  5. There should be more features for the time series charts.
  6. Rebuild models without affecting any chart.

SAC is already working on some of these!

Six months.

My impression is that the stability of this solution is very high.

This is a highly scalable solution.

This solution has excellent support and customer service. It is the best compared to other vendors that I have dealt with until now.

I have used Qlik and Power BI, but after learning SAC I felt that it was better to move to this solution. The main reasons for changing are its ease of use and better capabilities.

Extremely easy setup, since it is cloud-based. Only in the rarest cases is there a failure.

We performed the implementation in-house.

We have realized ROI through improved Business Intelligence and Analytics.

It is a bit expensive, but really worth it, especially if you are already using other SAP tools.

We evaluated several options including QlikView, QlikSense, and Power BI.

What other advice do I have?

My only suggestion is that people try SAC, and start using it.

Production Support Engineer at SEI
Real-time data makes for a single version of the truth
  • "Real-time data makes for a single version of the truth."
  • "The stories have really been helpful in looking at specific scenarios and analyzing trends over periods of time."
  • "We need to know that we are using the latest and greatest, and SAP appears as if it has lost some credit in the market.​"

What is our primary use case?

• We use this across the organization to share data via the cloud solution and present to businesses and clients.
  • We use it to visually graph data and view trends.
  • Having it available from the cloud helps us have real-time data and collaboration across teams.

How has it helped my organization?

It supports better decision-making across organization. Real-time data makes for a single version of the truth. This helps teams work together and effectively analyse trends and performance metrics.

What is most valuable?

The stories have really been helpful in looking at specific scenarios and analyzing trends over periods of time. We work with a lot of financial metrics and being able to track performance over time is imperative.

Microsoft and Tableau are market leaders in my opinion. They have more advanced features and more depth in the stories' functionality, for example. We need to know that we are using the latest and greatest, and SAP appears as if it has lost some credibility in the market.

Download our free SAP Analytics Cloud Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022