Andrzej Chmielarski - PeerSpot reviewer
Tech lead/Solution architect/Team manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Full integration, flexible, and knowledge technical support
  • "In general, we use web services to integrate this solution with our other tools. It is the main approach we use with this solution and it integrates with all tools that we need. If you want to integrate with other solutions such ThreatFire or similar, it is possible as well."
  • "The previous versions had good training documents but the updated versions need to improve the documentation."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used to quickly manage and monitor processes in your organization.

What is most valuable?

I have found the solution to be flexible and they provide good support.

In general, we use web services to integrate this solution with our other tools. It is the main approach we use with this solution and it integrates with all tools that we need. If you want to integrate with other solutions such ThreatFire or similar, it is possible as well.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

Pega BPM
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Pega BPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable.

We have a customer that has over 6,000 users using the solution.

The solution provides very good support. They have the experience, knowledge, and are always helpful.

I have used previously used Camunda, jBPM, and IBM solutions.

The version for private use on your workstation is easy to install. However, if you want to prepare a platform, it is not easy. All good solutions are not easy to install and tend to be complex and because of this, I would not say this solution is any more complex than any other good solution.

The amount of technical team needed depends on the project. For small implementations, we use one to two people and for big projects, we can have over 30 developers.

The solution could be less expensive according to my customers. However, I think the price of the solution is fair.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is one of the best tools on the market right now. I would recommend it to others.

I rate Pega BPM a ten out of ten.

Sherif Ibrahim - PeerSpot reviewer
Presales Consultant at EBLA
Reliable and scalable BPM that empowers teams to address complexities without deep knowledge of a specific development area
  • "Pega is a local platform that has evolved from a BPM perspective. This allows teams using this solution to address complexities without having deep knowledge in a specific development area."
  • "One of the areas of this solution that could be improved would be to advance the low code features of the application itself. We would also like to use the same platform to build any application, even if it is not necessarily defined as a functionality needed by a BPM."

What is our primary use case?

Pega is an Intelligent Automation Platform that has evolved from a BPM perspective. This allows teams using this solution to address complexities without having deep knowledge in a specific development area.

What needs improvement?

One of the areas of this solution that could be improved would be to improve the low code features of the application itself. We would also like to use the same platform to build any application, even if it is not necessarily defined as a functionality needed by a BPM.

The RPA tool within this solution needs further enhancement to compete with other RPA tools in the market. They are focusing more on the overall platform rather than working on the RPA. Document AI tools could be an added functionality, for example. Alternatively, customers will need to purchase another RPA tool to complement the whole solution if they have very advanced RPA needs across their business.

I have used this solution for one year.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

The technical support is good.

The initial setup was not that complex but also was not that simple.

What other advice do I have?

We often recommend this solution to our customers. It is a wonderful solution. There are not many professionals working with this tool which is important to note.

If the core need of a customer is for BPM and automation, this is a suitable solution. If their needs exceed a BPM solution, such as modernizing different kinds of applications, there may be other suitable solutions.

This is a good solution from a technical perspective and is based on a very reliable and scalable platform.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Pega BPM
November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
User at Automation delivery
Business Process Management solution that has increased the confidence of users in our systems
  • "The robotic process automation has increased the confidence of business users."
  • "The cost of licensing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We support clients who use this solution. We have had a client who used Pega in London at their headquarters and in their data center operations in India. They installed Pega in the UK, but they wanted to run the applications from the data center in India. They wanted to give access to all the business users across the world in more than 12 different countries.

The client used SAP for their business system, Pega for the business process management and UiPath for automation.

What is most valuable?

The robotic process automation has increased the confidence of business users.

What needs improvement?

The cost of licensing could be improved.

I have been using this solution for 5 years.

There are multiple components within support. This first component is the functional support from an BPM perspective that is module related. The second component is technical support for when clients want any customization of their BPM product along with any workflows.

The initial setup is straightforward. For an implementation project, we usually have a team of 10 BPM developers along with the BPM technical architect and the BPM technical lead. The implementation projects runs over 18 to 20 weeks, while an upgrade project, requires eight to 10 people over 12 to 16 weeks. If it is a support project, we use a team of six people over a period of one year.

Normally, we don't own the licenses. Customers have their own licenses and we work on their environment.

As an IT services company, we provide different solution options to customers. We offer SAP BPM, Pega, IBM BPM and Oracle BPM. The first and foremost consideration is that the customer needs to be comfortable with the solution that we offer.

Hybrid Cloud
RAVIRANJAN - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at Telus Digital
Reliable with good rule engines but has DevOps limitations
  • "It is a stable product."
  • "The solution could be more scalable."

What is most valuable?

The rule engines work well.

It is a stable product.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more scalable.

It has some DevOps limitations.

The product could be more robust and faster compared to what they have right now.

Pega is also stable. It is also an old product. They have DevOps limitations if we compare it with Appian. That said, from the tool perspective, Pega is stable and reliable.

It is not as scalable, as, for example, Appian. However, I don't have extensive knowledge and therefore can't speak widely on the scaling process.

I've never contacted technical support. I'm not sure if they are helpful and responsive. I've never talked directly with them.

I've also used Appian.

I have limited experience with Pega. I don't have extensive knowledge about the Pega, however, there are a few things, which may be the reason to prefer Appian over the Pega. The engines, the rule engines, internally, on Appian or Pega work. However, in terms of how they process your request Appian is more scalable and more robust.

The setup is also good. It also provides the cloud, so it's not an issue from that perspective. I did not use it very extensively, however, they do have a cloud, so it's fine in terms of implementation.

I can't speak about the exact costs. I don't deal with that aspect of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have that much experience on the Pega, however, from what I have experienced, there's a little bit more that can be offered. I'd rate it a six out of ten.

Somnath-Ghosh - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect and LowCode Practice Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Stable solution for solving a business problem for case management
  • "There is a feature to accelerate the development so that business analysts can directly create their user stories and assign the task to the developers."
  • "Pega is claiming they're into low code but as per Gartner Magic Quadrant, Pega is not there now."

What is most valuable?

There is a feature to accelerate the development so that business analysts can directly create their user stories and assign the task to the developers. It's called DCO.

What needs improvement?

Pega is claiming they're into low code but as per Gartner Magic Quadrant, Pega is not there now. Appian, OutSystems, Mendix, Salesforce, and Microsoft Power Platform are the major leaders in the market as low-code platforms as per Gartner Magic Quadrant. Pega has to improve if they would like to gain their position in the low-code space. They would have to improve major functionalities that these low-code vendors and low-code platforms have like their mobile compatibility. A citizen developer can easily make B2C mobile apps.

Pega has to come up with a lot of improvements in these low-code areas for the citizen developers who can easily create mobile apps with minimal coding or no coding. With other competitors like Appian, OutSystems, and Mendix, you can do it using visual modeling.

The price could also be improved.

I have been working with Pega for about six years as a solution architect.

Pega is a stable product. If you're solving a business problem for case management, Pega is the best for case management solution, but the product architecture is entirely different. It's rule based. It's not popular for UI or UX management.

Pega's technical support is not as friendly as Appian.

I would rate Appian higher than Pega. The price of Pega is a bit higher than Appian and the software isn't as friendly.

The price could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

Senior Associate at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
An easy to set up solution with a very helpful customer service team and strong KYC onboarding
  • "When our clients automate the KYC and onboarding processes, they can reduce their manual force and then deploy them in much better tasks rather than the mundane activities of selecting forms and gathering information."
  • "The workflow automation can be slow, so there is room for improvement there."

How has it helped my organization?

When our clients automate the KYC and onboarding processes, they can reduce their manual force and then deploy them in much better tasks rather than the mundane activities of selecting forms and gathering information.

What is most valuable?

There is definitely an advantage to digitization, so we recommend Pega to our clients for the KYC digitization. Pega's strength is in KYC onboarding.

What needs improvement?

The workflow automation can be slow, so there is room for improvement there.

Personally, I have been using the solution for the past three years, but my company has been using it for about seven or eight years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is quite scalable.

The customer service team is very responsive and helpful. We haven't had any complaints or issues with them. I would rate the customer service as a nine out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup was easy. On a scale of one to five, I would give it a four.

The deployment was handled by Pega and was quite easy, not very complex, and the customer was satisfied.

The pricing is a bit on the high side, but you're paying for a quality product.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that you work with one or two Pega developers in the initial stage. After that, it's quite straightforward.

I would rate this solution as a nine out of ten. The Pega product is definitely good.

AbdallahBekhit - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Technical Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Rich platform but slow performance and inadequate support
  • "Can do a lot of things with minimum time and cost."
  • "UI needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for process modeling.

What needs improvement?

There are several areas for improvement with this product. The performance of the application is very slow, the UI needs improvement, and the architecture needs to be simplified. In addition, it's impossible to know what's going on behind the scenes of this solution, and there's no tech support or useful documentation, so I have been forced to do my own troubleshooting.

I have been using this solution for two years.

The stability's ok once the solution is set up properly.

The solution is scalable in terms of load but not operation-wide.

The technical support has been disappointing - we don't get the support we need from it.

The initial setup was pretty complex.

The pricing is good.

Before choosing, I evaluated Colfax, Oracle, and IBM.

What other advice do I have?

The platform as a whole is very rich - you can do a lot of things with it with minimum time and cost. I would recommend Pega as a BPM solution but make sure that your contract states you will receive support, otherwise you may not get any. I would rate this solution as seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
Jack Haggerty - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Vice President, PBM Data & Technology Services at UnitedHealth Group
Great for automating workflow; supports the process management that we need
  • "The solution is able to support the size and scale required."
  • "This is an expensive solution."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case of this solution is for clinical case management. I'm the senior vice president of the company and we are customers and end users of Pega BPM.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has assisted us by automating our workflow. It supports the process management of medication therapy engagements with patients.

What is most valuable?

We appreciate that this solution supports the size and scale that we need.

What needs improvement?

This is a very expensive product and there is a lack of availability of the Pega skill sets, the resources.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable, we have around 1,000 users and don't have any plans to increase that number.

We deployed ourselves and I don't recall any issues. The solution is not maintenance heavy and we have a few people responsible for upkeep.

Licensing costs are very high.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to check all options and ascertain that this is the appropriate solution for you. There are other features that products like Camunda provide,   but as you need to scale and get more sophisticated in your process management, Pega becomes a better option.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Download our free Pega BPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022