Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Pawan Dihiye - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Process Consultant at Ernst & Young
Low code with great APIs and good flexibility
  • "The solution has very helpful technical support."
  • "To learn Pega, you need to be a partner. If someone just wants to learn Pega for the sake of learning, they won't be able to do so as they don't give access to that."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution basically to run any custom process that the client wants to have, or needs to run their business on. For example, the approval process or any kind of business process that can be run using the Pega Platform.

What is most valuable?

It's low code. That is very useful. A business value architect will have zero coding to do, and he can create a business flow on top of that. The technical developer can handle further things.

Apart from that, the kind of APIs that they support is also very nice. It also has a lot of APIs out of the box. It can directly connect to Fitbit, it can directly connect to Google Maps, et cetera. That API exposure is also a good thing. They are very easy and very reliable to use, the APIs.

The setup was simple.

It's a stable solution.

The solution has very helpful technical support.

It can scale pretty well.

What needs improvement?

A few things I would like them to improve include, first of all, that they don't have any open-source learning platform. To learn Pega, you need to be a partner. If someone just wants to learn Pega for the sake of learning, they won't be able to do so as they don't give access to that.

I would like to have an integrated process mining capability inside Pega. It will be like an entire digital transformation thing then. You don't need two or three sources. Similar to Signavio. Signavio runs BPM, it does modeling, and it is having process mining as well. In Pega, we have modeling, we have RPA, and we have BPM, however, we don't have process mining right now.

I've been using the solution for three years.

Pega BPM
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Pega BPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's quite stable. This means we haven't encountered any issues. And even if there are issues, their support is very responsive.

The product is quite scalable as it's a low-code platform.

The solution adjusts well to different devices. They have this adaptation that if you open it on a tablet, then the screen will adjust accordingly. If you open it on a PC, the screen adjusts it accordingly in Pega. Android as well.

There are more than 25,000 people on the solution.

We've worked with technical support in the past. Whenever there's downtime or whenever something is not working, we need to get in touch with the Pega technical team.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

I'm also aware of Appian. Even if Pega says that it's a low-code platform, when I compare it to Appian, Appian is more low code when compared to Pega.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward.

You need to pay for licensing. It was quite expensive. I'd rate it four and a half out of five in terms of how expensive it is.

What other advice do I have?

My organization is a service provider for Pega. We're implementation partners. If we use it completely depends on what the client wants and needs.

If you are using it for the first time, you probably should have a consulted implementation partner as well. That said, it is easy to use. It shouldn't be a problem. It's very flexible.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. We generally don't encounter any issues as far as Pega is concerned. Whenever there's an issue, there's a quick resolution.

Head of Robotics Process Automation at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Good technical support, out-of-the-box reporting, visibility, and dashboards
  • "The workflows are the most valuable features, particularly for us, because we were attempting to automate processes by utilizing workflows to provide a hands-off comparison between the bot and the human."
  • "Pricing is a little on the high side."
  • "We have experienced a few technical challenges, particularly triggering the workflow through file drops and accessing files."

What is most valuable?

Also, the out-of-the-box reporting, visibility, and dashboards are extremely useful.

What needs improvement?

There was a lot of room for improvement on the RPA front because the product was still in its journey for more than one year. The product was still in its early stages of development. We spoke with the Pega team and provided our feedback.

On the BPM front, I believe it is pretty standard and an industry leader.

We have experienced a few technical challenges, particularly triggering the workflow through file drops and accessing files. Those difficulties are more of a cloud versus on-premises issue because everything was on the cloud, and they were unable to retrieve files from on-premises folders. As a result, we had to resort to workarounds.

I believe they could work on more integration of their RPA and BPM so that it becomes seamless for anyone, and then it becomes easier for a human versus machine interaction using the same BPM. They said at the time that it's on their roadmap and should be coming soon if it hasn't already. But those are the things that, in my opinion, would make a better BPM, where it would function as an enterprise orchestration layer, collaborating with humans and bots in the same way and delivering the business process.

We completed a couple of BPM projects using Pega BPM.

I have been working with Pega BPM on and off for the last two years, and I have completed two BPM implementations in the last three.

It's a scalable product. There are no challenges with the scalability of Pega BPM.

Technical support was good. Especially for us, their product team was with us, as was their support team, and all of these workarounds were only possible with their assistance.

I worked on Newgen BPM two years ago.

We work mostly with BPM but we did a PoC on RPA. The RPA was unable to work.

The initial setup is simple because it is in the cloud. We haven't spent much time setting it up, it was up and running for a few weeks.

In terms of business flows, our implementations were not overly complex. We were able to launch it in an Agile mode, and we were able to deliver, in two or three sprints spanning four months. Every four to five weeks, we were able to release small flows to enable certain business functionality.

Pricing is a little on the high side. One of the challenges where a certain lower level of cases was unable to justify the cost. If your process is not that complex, and it is very simple, then the implementation timeline is obviously short, but licensing becomes a little costly, and it sometimes does not cross the business use case.

The benefits you receive are not worth the price.

What other advice do I have?

They should have a solid foundation of business processes in place before embarking on this journey. If the case is small or the process is not complex, they should use a smaller and simpler BPMS. The primary reason is the cost. However, if they are considering it at the enterprise level or for a more complicated process, Pega is, in my opinion, the best option.

I would rate Pega BPM an eight out of ten.

Pega BPM
September 2022
634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Consultant at a aerospace/defense firm with 51-200 employees
An extremely powerful platform that provides the ability to define processes, build reports, and get insight on data
  • "The ability to define processes, build reports, and get insights or analytics on data is most valuable. It is a powerful platform."
  • "The way the IDE works with the chatbox and the taxonomy imports could be a little smoother."

What is our primary use case?

It is a multi-tenant offering for developing applications. We have its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

Generically, at the moment, it can take things that were non-functioning processes and crossing stovepipes and make them function.

What is most valuable?

I have found a lot of features valuable. The ability to define processes, build reports, and get insights or analytics on data is most valuable. It is a powerful platform.

What needs improvement?

There should be quicker approvals for CDH. It is a bureaucratic approval process to be able to get those particular licenses.

I have been using this solution for two and a half years.

It is stable. Like everything, it depends on the quality of the knowledge of the people who are using it.

I like it. It allows for a lot of multi-tenancy.

In terms of usage, it is in its initial use areas, but it is rapidly being adopted.

I have interacted with them. Our overall experience is positive. They have some good folks there. Occasionally, their system doesn't realize the urgency of a problem if the problem isn't in production. If your problem isn't currently causing production failures, the turnaround time can be slower than expected.

We don't use Pega exclusively. We've got other stuff in there. There are some things for which one solution is good, and for another set of things, another one fits very well.  It just depends on the application, the tendency, and the purpose.

We brought in experts. Our experience with them was positive.

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give is that when spinning, think about if you're setting up a private one. You should also think about your tenant or your organizational control structure for multi-tenancy so that you can have a mix of licenses for tenants while not overly complicating and having to maintain tons of different work control layers.

Before you start up an app, take a look, run the wizards, and see what you can reuse from the structure. Its wizards are very good to use when starting up. There are a lot of powerful data models and workflows that you can use as starting points. You can also simply reuse and rename them.

Whenever you're building things, work with your team regularly on the data model supporting it so that you have a lot of reusable capability. So, you enhance it. It is worth the time to meet weekly with your team over your data architecture.

I would rate Pega BPM an eight out of 10. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it is extremely powerful. When you get into it, then you realize that it is far more powerful.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Sr. Technical Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Performs well, is easy to install, and has responsive technical support
  • "Case Management, as well as Workflow Automation, are Pega's most powerful capabilities."
  • "I believe they simplify the application development. It is still complex. The learning is not easy, it takes time compared to other products on the market."

What is our primary use case?

Pega BPM is used by us for customer onboarding, support, and care.

What is most valuable?

By creating a visual layout of the business process, designers can easily go and implement the business process. And from there, you can pretty much do it in concur. You can concentrate on each area of the business process and create user input tasks with defined role-based access controls on each of those user input tasks.

What needs improvement?

Pega's low code development is entirely based on object-oriented and application development. However, I believe it can be used in a low code application, such as development platform features such as tracking and dropping some user components. It has that support, but not to the extent that other platforms do, such as the app in or out system. They make it very simple to create UIs without the need to use HTML, CSS, and JavaScript together to create pixel-perfect UIs. I believe Pega could improve in this area.

I have been working with Pega BPM for more than five years.

It's fairly stable and in performance as well.

We didn't have to put much effort into upgrading our platform and adding more resources. I would say that the platform is obviously very robust and capable of scaling to large enterprise-scale recommendations.

In our company, we have more than 300 people who use this solution.

Technical support is very good. They usually respond quickly to inquiries, whether they are about infrastructure or products.

The initial setup is straightforward. You can now create your business processes and begin designing forms for end users. On Cloud, it is pretty straightforward.

Maintenance is dependent on the size of the program or application. You would need at least two people. However, the number of people would vary depending on the size of the application and the program.

Some of the key pain points were addressed by the applications that were developed, primarily in terms of user satisfaction and implementing them in the business process.

The return on investment was not a consumer web application where the product would be rolled out to the general public and revenue would be generated.

It was designed primarily for internal business users, With the main goal of the application being to improve business processes and bring all offline processes online to have a digital footprint of those business processes, making tracking easier.

I am not aware of the cost. But, considering the licenses, user licenses, and infrastructure, I'd guess around a million USD.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Pega BPM an eight out of ten.

I believe they simplify the application development. It is still complex. The learning is not easy, it takes time compared to other products on the market. For the learning curve, I would reduce two points.

Senior Director Platform Management at a real estate/law firm with 10,001+ employees
Cost-effective for medium enterprises, stable, and easy to configure, but needs better reporting and better compatibility with Microsoft browsers
  • "It is quite configurable, which is the most exciting feature. We can easily configure it as per our needs."
  • "Reporting is not so clear and not so great. We really struggle to get the right reporting. When we need reporting based on the content of the tickets, we are not able to get it. The MIS reporting is not great. That's one of the reasons why we are switching to ServiceNow. Its compatibility with the higher versions of Internet Explorer should be improved. It really works well in Mozilla Firefox or any other browser, but when it comes to Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer, sometimes, the layout gets disturbed. The positioning of the buttons changes, and there is some distortion in the layout. I am not sure whether it is our configuration problem or Pega's, but when it is working in Mozilla Firefox, it should also work in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for HR automation or HR service delivery.

What is most valuable?

It is quite configurable, which is the most exciting feature. We can easily configure it as per our needs.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is not so clear and not so great. We really struggle to get the right reporting. When we need reporting based on the content of the tickets, we are not able to get it. The MIS reporting is not great. That's one of the reasons why we are switching to ServiceNow.

Its compatibility with the higher versions of Internet Explorer should be improved. It really works well in Mozilla Firefox or any other browser, but when it comes to Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer, sometimes, the layout gets disturbed. The positioning of the buttons changes, and there is some distortion in the layout. I am not sure whether it is our configuration problem or Pega's, but when it is working in Mozilla Firefox, it should also work in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer.

I have been using this solution for almost three years now. We started using it in late 2017.

It is stable. We haven't faced any downtime or any other issues.

It is quite scalable.

My team would know about it, and I personally don't really get into those details. After the implementation, our teams are on their own. I don't think they are reaching out to Pega support frequently because I don't see any product issues as such. Everything is configurable, and it is running daily.

It is not so complex, but it needs an intermediate level of skill set. It is not so complex, but it is also not so easy.

It is cost-effective for medium enterprises. It is cheaper than ServiceNow.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It is more cost-effective as compared to other products. It is the right product for medium enterprises rather than a highly-expensive solution such as ServiceNow, to which we are switching. When you're implementing it, you should configure it in the right way with all categories, subcategories, and other things.

I would rate Pega BPM a seven out of ten.

Senior Practice Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
BPM software with satisfactory scalability and stability; offers powerful case management and workflow capabilities
  • "Scalable and stable BPM software with a powerful case management feature. It also has good workflow."
  • "First-time customers will find its licensing tricky. The technical support team for this solution could be faster in resolving tickets."

What is our primary use case?

I've been using Pega BPM for insurance underwriting, claims management, and pricing.

What is most valuable?

What we like about Pega BPM is their case management feature which we find powerful. We also like its workflow capability.

What needs improvement?

The licensing model of Pega BPM is tricky, especially for first-time customers, so it's something that they could improve.

I've been using Pega BPM for five years.

We are satisfied with the stability of this solution.

We have been able to use Pega BPM in different lines of businesses for the past few years, so we find it scalable.

We faced some issues so we had to contact technical support. We raised the ticket and it was resolved. It took a week, but it was resolved.

We implemented Pega BPM with the help of a consultant.

This solution's licensing model needs to be improved.

It's a yearly subscription, but there are no extra costs apart from the standard licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using one of the latest versions of Pega BPM: version 8.

It was the IT side, with the help of a consultant, who handled the installation of this solution, so I didn't have much visibility into whether it was easy or complex. It was done over a period of seven to 15 days.

The number of end users using Pega BPM in our organization is 35 to 40.

Deployment of this solution did not take many people: just two people, but for maintenance, we have three people, so deployment and maintenance requires a total of five people. All of them are engineers.

We use Pega BPM almost on a daily basis. We currently don't have any plans of increasing its usage.

I'm recommending this solution to other people, particularly if it is a good use case for them.

Pega BPM is the first business process management software we were able to try. We had an old tool we were using, but it was not a BPM software.

My rating for Pega BPM is eight out of ten.

VijayS1 - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of digital transformation at Maantic
The solution has detailed features for case management and workflows
  • "Pega BPM has a full suite for any enterprise. It is a process orchestration platform. It has detailed features for case management and workflows."
  • "I would like to see Pega BPM improve the user experience."

What is our primary use case?

I am the Head of Digital Transformation at my organization. Currently, I am implementing Pega for my customers. All of our customers want payment and collection solutions implemented.

We have multiple projects that have many use cases for Pega. For example, one client is in the insurance industry that uses insurance data. Another customer is in banking where we implemented a customer service system.

Pega can implement an automation system that catches incoming emails and can automatically triage and route them.

What is most valuable?

I value Pega's decision control, which can take care of your next transaction with all the decisions taken care of.

The solution also has very strong customer service where all your issues will be taken care of across multiple channels like calls, email, and chat. It has a really powerful UI. It is a single platform for customer service automation for any enterprise.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see Pega BPM improve the user experience. The platform has a lot of restrictions.

I have been using Pega BPM for 18 years.

Pega BPM is stable compared to other solutions on the market, even for high usage.

The solution is scalable. There are constraints when it comes to the terms of design and when you want to expand. When considering infrastructure scalability, there is nothing to worry about, it is scalable.

If you choose Pega BPM on the cloud, the initial setup will take care of the infrastructure. You will need to spend some time to identify the suitable infrastructure. Even after implementation, there is a certain amount of upfront work required in terms of design and foundation. Once this is complete, everything else is smooth.

Deployment can take a few days to get on board with your foundation as it is very tedious.

Licensing varies across geographical regions for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to anyone considering implementing Pega BPM. It is a scalable, reliable platform that is suitable for many kinds of organizations.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10 overall.

Hybrid Cloud
ManishSingh6 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Effectively automates any business process but needs to be more user-friendly
  • "Pega BPM's most valuable features are case management, integration, the convenience of using REST APIs, and the ease of changing things at the UI level."
  • "Pega BPM could be improved by including token-based authentication and extending its integration options."

What is our primary use case?

I use Pega BPM to automate business use cases and integrate third-party application data into applications designed on Pega Platform.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, our HR onboarding application ran in silos, so everything was happening separately. Pega BPM allowed us to consolidate all the data in one place, from which we could define our business workflow. This means that we have the entire flow running in one application from start to end with the help of third-party application data.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Pega BPM could be improved by including token-based authentication and extending its integration options. In the next release, Pega should live up to their claim to be low-code/no-code and make their platform more simple and UI-based.

I've been using Pega BPM for almost two years.

Pega BPM is stable.

Pega BPM is scalable.

The initial setup wasn't complex, but you have to define your class structure and architecture properly. Deployment took around a month. Also, Pega says BPM is low-code/no-code, but that's not true - you need intervention as you can't design the application without some knowledge about it.

We used an in-house team.

Pega is expensive. If your company has a good amount of money to spend, go for Pega as it has many things readily available out of the box. But if you're looking to save money, you may be better going for an open-source platform.

I also evaluated WaveMaker, but Pega has features that aren't available on WaveMaker.

What other advice do I have?

Pega BPM is a very good tool if you have the budget to spend on it and you need to automate any business process wherein you get the data from multiple sources. I would rate Pega BPM as six out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
Download our free Pega BPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022