Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Oracle SuperCluster OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle SuperCluster is #5 ranked solution in top Converged Infrastructure tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle SuperCluster an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. Oracle SuperCluster is most commonly compared to Oracle Private Cloud Appliance: Oracle SuperCluster vs Oracle Private Cloud Appliance. Oracle SuperCluster is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the Converged Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Oracle SuperCluster?

Secure cloud infrastructure with the industry’s most advanced security, extreme performance, and a complete suite of efficiency enhancements, tools, and automation that work together to dramatically lower cost and complexity.

Oracle SuperCluster was previously known as Oracle MiniCluster, S7-2, M7, M6-32.

Oracle SuperCluster Customers

Advania, Dimension Data, Atos, Etisilat Nigeria, HDFC, Specialized Bicycle Components, Uganda Revenue Authority, iQor, United Energy, Portic Barcelona, B Logistics, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, CSC, CNSI, REDISA

Oracle SuperCluster Video

Oracle SuperCluster Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle SuperCluster pricing:
  • "For us, the licensing costs are a large amount, but we are also paying for the rack, the SLA, and other extras. When I look into our organization's requirements regarding performance, machine load, etc., I believe that, while expensive, SuperCluster is nevertheless good for us."
  • "Due to the multiple products involved in our use of SuperCluster (including different software, hardware, etc.), I cannot comment on the licensing aspect."
  • Oracle SuperCluster Reviews

Senior Manager IT Operations at NRSP microfinance Bank
    Great performance all round, but lacking in certain cloud features
    • "Because SuperCluster is a specially engineered system, we have confidence in that all the components are compatible with one another. Everything runs together as a well-coupled group of machines, and the performance is great (especially the memory)."
    • "Speaking from a business perspective, our main problem is that our particular edition of SuperCluster is now at end-of-life status, making it obsolete and impossible to get support for. This presents a challenge for us, as finding a path to our next solution is not easy."

What is our primary use case?

In my organization there has always been a need for high-performance computing, and we decided to go with Oracle SuperCluster for this reason coupled with the fact that we already use Oracle products such as Solaris (11.4), which is itself a component of SuperCluster.

As far as performance is concerned, SuperCluster is a system of machines engineered for high performance and reliability, while supporting a number of modern enterprise storage and database technologies such as Exadata and ZFS. The memory, along with Oracle's M7 servers, is also very good in terms of performance.

We use SuperCluster on-premises, with about 3,000 people who access it on a daily basis. Essentially, whoever is accessing the applications we use, is also accessing the SuperCluster. That includes our database administrators, system administrators, and many other administrators of various kinds.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to features, I know that Oracle has already done a lot on the software side of things, but everyone has their own wish list for their specific environment and in newer editions of SuperCluster I would like to see new EXAchk data in the cloud environment. In fact, I would prefer if SuperCluster could come with more functionality as seen in Oracle Cloud where it is easier to share data and other things across the board. SuperCluster is already a smart machine, so I understand that it might be difficult to implement all those features, but at a minimum I would appreciate Oracle including more cloud infrastructure functionality.

Oracle's existing cloud machines are already able to provide all these cloud features that I would like, including the use of containers and hardware-sharing, and it would be great to have these on board for their customers and end-users of SuperCluster.

I've been using Oracle SuperCluster since 2017.

Converged Infrastructure
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, IBM, Dell Technologies and others in Converged Infrastructure. Updated: September 2022.
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In my experience, it has been stable.

It is a scalable system when it comes to performance, but unfortunately Oracle is no longer supporting the edition that we are running as it is now end-of-life, and figuring out the way forward isn't easy.

Our total user count is around 3,000 end-users, including everyone who uses our organization's applications such as normal end-users and the many administrators who work on it.

We use Oracle as our single source of support most of the time whenever we need to patch the system, because this is usually done by Oracle as a matter of course.

Their support is very good, not only when it comes to their direct help in patching our systems, but also in general. They are a helpful team of people and passionate about their work.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The setup and configuration is difficult for the end-user because almost all of the time, Oracle supports the system themselves. They perform the configuration of the SuperCluster and set up the machines, and normally they do the patches as well.

Additionally, in our case, it doesn't seem to make a difference in cost whether you pay a monthly amount or go with some other arrangement.

What other advice do I have?

On the whole, SuperCluster is a smart, sophisticated machine, and when I look into the performance of it, I'm happy. However, in some cases, the system itself is somewhat larger than necessary for our environment, and can be considered underutilized when we only have minimal amounts of data to process.

I would rate Oracle SuperCluster a seven out of ten.

Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Helps ensure growth of our bank with good performance and an integrated infrastructure
    • "SuperCluster is basically a combination of Oracle, with Exadata and Compute node features, so it is a computing cluster that is integrated in a single infrastructure such that we don't need a separate solution for the application database, the data storage database, and everything else the application needs."
    • "A major issue for us is that after the most recent update of SuperCluster, they have now stopped all future production of new versions. That is to say, after M7 there was M8, and now there are no future versions planned (e.g. M9) in the market."

What is our primary use case?

We use SuperCluster for the bank's financial application, which covers the core banking and internet banking functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

The core banking application and database is completely based on Oracle solutions, which provides us with not only good performance, but also the scalability we need to ensure the growth of the bank. We have not experienced many challenges in terms of meeting our performance requirements.

What needs improvement?

As for features, even though they are not planning new releases, I believe SuperCluster could do better with their administration GUI. At the moment, most of our administration takes place on the command-line because the GUI is inadequate, so an improved GUI would suit us well.

I've been using Oracle SuperCluster for almost six years now.

There are no problems with stability.

It is scalable, but as mentioned, if you want to update your SuperCluster to the next version, you are out of luck as there will be no future development on it from Oracle.

As it is now, both the banking application and a few other applications are running fine for our users on SuperCluster.

Their support is good. I would give them 8/10.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

At this time, we also have other solutions available to us, but our experience is that the SuperCluster solution is superior.

The setup depends on the design. With SuperCluster, what you're setting up is less straightforward than most deployments because there are more virtualization areas to deal with. There are a lot of activities that need to be carried out in order to set it up properly.

It was initially set up by the vendor itself, but going forward, any extra requirements are handled by myself as a consultant and the appropriate team. As for updates and maintenance, all this is done by us on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

When you look at SuperCluster's complete infrastructure as a whole and the fact that we can run the database and application all on the same infrastructure, I feel that SuperCluster is a better solution than most. It has good performance and works well for us.

Given that they have stopped upgrading and supporting SuperCluster, I am hoping that Oracle will be able to provide a similar type of solution with the same integrated infrastructure but with better performance in the future. I know there is a solution called PCA (Private Cloud Appliance), but this doesn't have the Exadata functionality that we need.

I would rate Oracle SuperCluster an eight out of ten.

Converged Infrastructure
    September 2022
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IT Technology Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Reliable with good performance and good support, but it's restricted to Oracle
    • "The two features that I find to be the most valuable are high availability and high performance."
    • "Unix is not as easy for the users, it needs more maintenance and costs extra."
    • "They may have made some improvements but based on the version that I am using, it is a little complicated because it is based on the Unix Operating system."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our main Oracle Databases, which are for our business applications.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We are not using the latest version. Our version is a bit old. It's not the latest generation.

They may have made some improvements but based on the version that I am using, it is a little complicated because it is based on the Unix Operating system.

My understanding is that now it is on the Linux Operating System because it is simple to use and more user-friendly.

The SuperCluster is based on Solaris, which is different than Linux.

They should keep using the Linux Operating System. It's better than Unix. It's easier, more flexible, and used in most of the machines in the world.

Unix is not as easy for the users, it needs more maintenance and costs extra.

In my opinion, the next generation will be Linux-based.

I have been using this solution for the last 12 months.

We are using version seven.

It's a stable product, it's been running for months.

We cannot survive without Oracle's support. You are in an Oracle box made by Oracle, that can only be fixed by Oracle.

You don't have the freedom to go outside of Oracle's control.

The technical support is good. For both hardware and software, it's very good.

I was not a part of the installation in this company. When I arrived, it was already installed.

I found that the installation was not done in the way that I think was the best model.

SuperCluster usually comes with Oracle Virtualization and you can create virtual machines as you do in virtualization solutions.

They completed the installation with a hard partitioning solution with physical nodes. They used a lot of physical nodes and didn't take the opportunity to use Oracle virtualization.

It may have been a requirement of the company.

What other advice do I have?

It's a really good product.

At this time, we are still using it and there are no plans to change it that I am aware of.

It depends on the plans of the company and what they want to do in the next three to five years.

I would rate Oracle SuperCluster a seven out of ten.