IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Oracle Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Cloud is #7 ranked solution in top Infrastructure as a Service Clouds. PeerSpot users give Oracle Cloud an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Cloud is most commonly compared to Amazon AWS: Oracle Cloud vs Amazon AWS. Oracle Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.
Oracle Cloud Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Cloud Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Oracle Cloud?

Oracle Cloud is the industry’s broadest and most integrated public cloud. It offers best-in-class services across software as a service (SaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), and infrastructure as a service (IaaS), and even lets you put Oracle Cloud in your own data center. Oracle Cloud helps organizations drive innovation and business transformation by increasing business agility, lowering costs, and reducing IT complexity.

Oracle Cloud Customers

Kenya Airways, Cell, Panasonic, Frontera, M&C Saatchi, Lumentum, WA

Oracle Cloud Video

Archived Oracle Cloud Reviews (more than two years old)

Principal Consultant at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good monitoring capability but it should should support non-Oracle workloads
  • "The most valuable feature is the monitoring."
  • "This service is very specific to Oracle and we cannot have other types of workloads on Oracle Cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Oracle Cloud for ERP lift and shift.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the monitoring. The cloud tools that Oracle provides are useful.

What needs improvement?

The networking is in need of improvement. The price of this solution can definitely be improved. This service is very specific to Oracle and we cannot have other types of workloads on Oracle Cloud. We need to have a multi-cloud solution because for Oracle products we use Oracle Cloud, but for other products, we need to use other clouds. If the option to run other workloads were available, such as those by Microsoft, then this would be an added advantage to the Oracle footprint.

We have been using Oracle Cloud for two years.
Oracle Cloud
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Cloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This solution is good, in terms of stability.

The scalability is good. We have approximately 200 users for our ERP and we do plan to increase usage in the future.

The technical support is ok, although it should be refined and more proactive.

The initial setup was a straightforward network peering between two tenancies.

The pricing is a little bit expensive compared to other products. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to consult with Oracle before implementing it. The architecture and the features need to be considered for suitability because it is not a fit for everyone. They have to go through a process of evaluating these things in advance. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Other
System Architect / Team Manager at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Very stable with good ATI management but needs to integrate better with other platforms and vendors
  • "Frankly speaking, I've been very impressed with the stability the solution offers. Everything is working very well at the moment, and we haven't had any issues or faced any bugs or glitches."
  • "The solution should integrate better with other tools and different vendors."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, we're using the solution when we get data from our IoT devices. We get a lot of data from there. We're collecting it in the cloud, and providing the cloud to our ATI.

What is most valuable?

From a platform perspective, the most valuable aspect is the ATI management.

The powerhouse management is very good.

What needs improvement?

The interface should be more user-friendly. Compared to other cloud environments, it's not as good. It should be implemented better from Passport. It should have a better link to the cloud to communicate more effectively.

The solution should integrate better with other tools and different vendors.

I don't know of any additional features that I would like to see added to the solution.

I've been using the solution for about one year.

We've been in contact with technical support. We didn't have the best experience.

The initial setup, as I recall, was straightforward.

It only took one day to deploy the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Oracle.

I'd recommend the solution.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It's quite average, but effective. The infrastructure and formalizing of a custom platform need a bit of work.

Other solutions are better. Apache is also excellent.

Oracle Cloud
June 2022
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Venkatraman Bhat - PeerSpot reviewer
Delivery Head - Database and Infrastructure Services at Tech Mahindra Limited
Offers high availability and good performance for hosting on-premises applications
  • "This is a highly available and scalable solution that can host both modern and legacy on-premises applications."
  • "Simplifying the cloud management console would be really valuable for small and large customers alike."

What is our primary use case?

This solution offers a cloud infrastructure for our customers. They are able to host their on-premises products for their users.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Cloud provides the latest infrastructure with good performance.

This solution is a Generation two data center, which is not offered by any other cloud provider.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems with this solution is that the person who procures it for the organization becomes a primary owner of the cloud infrastructure, despite not being a technical person. It is the IT people who will be doing the actual work, and Oracle is not able to map it. This is an operational hassle for customers and it has to be cleaned up.

Simple provisioning is fine, but when it comes to complex provisioning, Oracle Cloud is not quick compared to competing solutions.

Support from Oracle for this solution needs to improve.

The next thing that needs to happen from Oracle is that they quickly expand data centers across different regions. This should happen at the very earliest time possible.

We are a consulting company and we provide solutions and services to end-customers.

With Oracle Cloud, we create solutions that allow us to provide specific services.

We speak with technical support on a weekly basis. Sometimes, multiple times during the week. The support for this solution is good, but it has to improve because when you compare it to other providers, there is a lot of room for improvement. The quality of the support is good, but the turnaround time for responses is something that is an issue.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Cloud is a good solution, and better than its competitors, especially for enterprise-level clients. The SaaS application can be really customized using the PaaS with the Oracle Application Express model. The beauty of this is that you can put all of that into a single domain. You don't have to keep it separate. This is a real advantage and the kind of service that only Oracle can offer.

Because it is a generation two data center, everything can be done on a single domain which means that users do not have to pass through multiple domains or multiple hosts. It is a seamless interface for all of the applications.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Other
Shalvin Narayan - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager IT at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Relatively easy to set up and deploy but could be better integrated with VMware
  • "The autonomous database functions are an excellent feature."
  • "Portability of the VMware environment into the Oracle Cloud should be made more simple."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is for a variety of purposes. We use it for our billing system, our operations support system, our analytic data warehousing, digitalization, customer service, marketing, and sales. So it is integral to our operations.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us with our first opportunity to use a cloud solution.

What is most valuable?

I think the price was actually very good for us although it is not exactly a feature. The autonomous database functions are an excellent feature.

What needs improvement?

Even though the price was not bad for our purposes, I think Oracle should open up their software service more to customers by bringing the pricing down for the product. The cost may be a bit high for many potential users.

One feature I also think I would like to see is better portability of the VMware environment into the Oracle Cloud. I think the integration process should be made more simple. We use vSphere and it was not as easy as it should have been.

We have been using Oracle Cloud for about 16 months now.

As far as our impression of the stability, we have had no outages so far. It has been quite stable.

This product can scale automatically. So if you configure it to scale, it will scale accordingly upon need.

We have around 24 users working on this solution in our company. They all in technical roles like there are business analysts, there are some developers, there are some engineers, and a few DBAs as well.

We have had the opportunity to call technical support and we do like their services. There are not any problems with that part of the experience at all. They are good at what they do.

We had not used a different cloud solution for our infrastructure prior to Oracle. This was our first experience with this type of product.

The initial setup was really quite straightforward. We did it as part of plans for multiple projects but getting up a VMware database was just another half an hour or so. The process was pretty quick but could still be improved.

We did some of the implementations ourselves, but on one of the reporting projects, we used an Oracle integrator. We were not entirely satisfied working with them and came away with mixed feelings. I think they did not make the effort to understand the requirements properly and I think that the delivery was really was not up to our expectations.

What other advice do I have?

Someone considering this product as a solution has to examine their needs. If Oracle Cloud probably meets their use case, then it is a good choice.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Oracle Cloud overall as an eight-out-of-ten. They have a good product but there is really some room for improvement while they are still developing the solution into something more mature.

Private Cloud
it_user924705 - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Security Officer at Zamil
Enables us to migrate all of ur on-premises applications and infrastructure onto the cloud
  • "The solution offers many features and it is a complete replica of our data center."
  • "With Oracle you have to create your own roles and it is more complex."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is a complete replica of our data center. Our primary use case is to migrate all our on-premises applications and infrastructure onto the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers many features and it is a complete replica of our data center. The one thing that is very high level is that it covers multiple regions to host our application. You don't have to worry about disaster recovery. You, therefore, don't have to invest in additional features - it is there by default. The solution has a huge capacity so you don't need to worry about that.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have identity access management. If someone is accessing any application, I should know about it. I think Oracle does have that feature, but with Amazon all the roles are privileged. With Oracle, you have to create your own roles and it is more complex.

I've been using Oracle Cloud for a year now.

In terms of performance, the stability is good. We are upgrading to the new version that has a lot of new features.

It is easy to scale because you have the option to plan your capacity. If you don't know the capacity, how much you need, you can still plan. You can start with one server at first and then there is an option to add one more server into the server pool. It handles the traffic equally. All these things happen automatically and you don't need to worry about the capacity.

The technical support is good. We faced quite a few issues when we installed the program, but the support team assisted us.

I have worked on Amazon and Oracle, both cloud providers.

The setup and deployment took about six months because we have multiple locations like Saudi Arabia, the UAE, we have Egypt and India, but we are moving one by one.

To move the application we need to move one copy of the application on the service to the cloud and test it. If everything is fine, we need to configure everything from scratch. Migration requires downtime - around a month per application.

Costing depends on if you have an existing license for the application and for the operating system. You can bring your own license and use regular licenses. So they have options. I think Amazon is cheaper than Oracle, though.

We tried the Amazon but there were some compatibility issues. The operating system versions didn't comply and that is why we chose Oracle. The cloud is getting more mature every day, advancing quickly for different kind of applications.

What other advice do I have?

I believe the developers are busy improving the solution. It's like they don't have as many features as other providers, so it takes time and they are doing their best. If you are just moving the ERP, you can use the Oracle application, but if you need more open source applications, it is better to go with the Amazon or Azure, because they have more services compared to Oracle, like an autonomous database. I have worked on Amazon and Oracle and my advice is to test it for two weeks or so and look at the price on the sales market before you make a purchase.

I rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Download our free Oracle Cloud Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022