We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

OpenText Intelligent Capture OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

OpenText Intelligent Capture is #8 ranked solution in top Intelligent Document Processing (IDP) tools. PeerSpot users give OpenText Intelligent Capture an average rating of 8 out of 10. OpenText Intelligent Capture is most commonly compared to Kofax TotalAgility: OpenText Intelligent Capture vs Kofax TotalAgility. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is OpenText Intelligent Capture?

OpenText™ Intelligent Capture, formerly OpenText Captiva, is an enterprise capture platform, providing omni-channel capabilities for collecting everything from scanned paper to chatbots. It is not just for organizing content at the front door, but automating processes across the enterprise. It can automate processes for standard documents, such as Financial Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable, or complex documents, such as contracts or partner requests that require action based on the document’s content.

OpenText Intelligent Capture was previously known as OpenText Captivas.

Download the Intelligent Document Processing (IDP) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

OpenText Intelligent Capture Video

OpenText Intelligent Capture Reviews

Senior Director, Platform Engineering at a real estate/law firm with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to easily capture, store, and access documents
  • "We use it to capture documents coming through our product and mobile channels and make them available for our business to access and email. We use it to automate the email workflow in our applications, pull the documents, and email them to the users."
  • "I would say what most of the document management solutions are lacking is smartness to detect the duplicate storage of the documents"

What is our primary use case?

OpenText Intelligent Capture is a document management solution. They acquired Documentum and made it part of their enterprise content management solution.

How has it helped my organization?

The primary reason we looked at this solution was to solve one of the key pain points we had across the business. We had a lot of islands of document stores - network drive documents were stored in individual computers, network drive boxes, and SharePoint-like solutions, et cetera. Once these documents are stored in those places, a lot of time goes into making these useful documents available for marketing and sales to pitch our properties. We are commercially listed to win the business with our clients. A lot of time goes into making those documents because they are stored everywhere with no metadata and no availability to easily search or browse. We almost lost the documents or we have them but we can't find them. We end up recreating them for the next deal instead of reusing them. That was a huge issue. So we chose this centralized store so that we can store them, tag them with metadata, and be able to search them and surface them when we need.

What is most valuable?

We were looking for basic document management functionality, to be able to capture documents, store documents, access them through services or a web portal, and have the right permission model so we can decide who has access to our documents. We need an API where we can interact with the documents over email, mobile access or web access and be able to expose it as multi-tenant surveys so that multiple lines of business can store documents and have the right permission model.

What needs improvement?

I would say what most of the document management solutions are lacking is smartness to detect the duplicate storage of the documents. Let's say I stored a pitch document that I created for client X, and then I open it and store it again, even though the name of the document may be the same or different, it should be able to look at the contents and compare the two documents, including content, signatures, and the digital footprint of these two documents and be able to smartly come back and say don't store one more version. It should use the reference to existing documents. That would go a long way. I haven't seen those features. That's something I would like.

This could be done with AI or it could be as simple as in security. You can look at the footprint and you can create a signature of the original document using some security algorithms, like the hashing functions. Then, the next time a document comes you can create a signature and compare these two if any content is different. If content is different, signatures end up being different. If content is the same, they end up being same. You just compare them.

I would like to see OCR capabilities. We also look at lease abstraction. So we have hundreds of pages of lease documents that we need to create a summary of. It could use some AI capabilities that would read the document and create a summary and some OCR capabilities that could extract specific elements off the documents to be used to automate a business process.

We've been using OpenText Intelligent Capture for two, three years now.

Stability has been good. No issues.

Their scalability is fine. For the scale that we chose, it is performing well. No issues.

We have about 1500 or so users.

We haven't been able to consolidate all the depositories yet. We have a lot more repositories to consolidate, but that is the roadmap.

We  plan to increase the usage in the future even further.

Their support been good. Our experience with their professional services and tech support has been generally good.

We have been using all these boutique solutions. Box is one of them. We used custom build solutions on Amazon S3 or Azure Blob. We had used SharePoint. Those are the few that come to my mind.

We were looking for a more robust solution that has robust capture capabilities including search and browse capabilities, the ability to apply document retention policies, with a more mature capability with single sign-on authentication hooked into our corporate AD. The most important requirement was to provide collaboration capability with the documents and the internal and external users.

The initial setup is not super complex. It's not easy, either. It is medium complex.

It took us two and half months to set it up, to configure it, and make it ready to run.

Most of the work was getting the authentication to work. That was not straightforward.

We used their consulting. They were good.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise utilizing a document standard, like CMIS content management interoperability standard. This would be good to use. Think of that as a JMS type of protocol for messaging. You can put the JMS protocol and you can swap out out any messaging infrastructure in the backend. It should work fine. JMS is the abstraction layer. Similarly, in document management, CMIS is the abstraction layer which provides a standardized interface to capture, search, and retrieve all the standard documents through a standardized interface. In the background, we have the flexibility to switch out a document repository to OpenText or whatever is working well.

OpenText Intelligent Capture is pretty good. On a scale of one to ten, I would give it an eight.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Assistant Vice President (Practice & Solutioning) at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Straightforward to implement, and has machine learning and other tools to make the extraction accurate
  • "Being able to have accurate extraction is most valuable. It has machine learning and other tools to make the extraction more accurate."
  • "It can be more user-friendly, and it should also have more reporting capabilities. There are also a few other things that need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for vendor invoices. It is most often used for extracting information from different types of PO invoices, but it can also be used for other types of invoices.

What is most valuable?

Being able to have accurate extraction is most valuable. It has machine learning and other tools to make the extraction more accurate.

What needs improvement?

It can be more user-friendly, and it should also have more reporting capabilities. There are also a few other things that need improvement.

Its functionality is good, but it has to be made more accurate. If it is not customized and handheld properly, the recognition and captures won't be accurate.

It is scalable.

It is straightforward. Its implementation is not complex. Installing the application is always easy. As you make changes, it can get complex, but it is not very complex.

Its implementation took 12 to 16 weeks.

What other advice do I have?

You should have a very good process. You should have a process-need gathering session to identify where exactly it is required and what type of problems it will solve. If you have that very well articulated, then it would be a better IDP solution to implement, and you will be able to use it properly.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.