IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Nutanix AHV OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nutanix AHV is #10 ranked solution in best Server Virtualization Software. PeerSpot users give Nutanix AHV an average rating of 8 out of 10. Nutanix AHV is most commonly compared to VMware vSphere: Nutanix AHV vs VMware vSphere. Nutanix AHV is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 23% of all views.
Nutanix AHV Buyer's Guide

Download the Nutanix AHV Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Nutanix AHV?

Nutanix AHV is a license-free virtualization solution that allows you to run virtual machines (VMs) on your own servers. It is a part of the Nutanix enterprise cloud platform, which also includes Acropolis and Prism. Nutanix AHV is a powerful hypervisor that is designed for enterprise workloads. It offers high performance and scalability, making it ideal for businesses that require a robust storage solution. In addition, Nutanix AHV also provides efficient resource utilization, which can help you save money on your IT infrastructure costs.

Nutanix features unified management across hybrid cloud environments, which makes it easier to manage your workloads in a consistent way, regardless of where they are deployed. It allows users to create and manage VMs without having to go through the IT department. This reduces the time it takes to get new services up and running, and improves operational efficiency. In addition, Nutanix AHV is easy to use and manage, making it a great choice for businesses of all sizes. Common tasks, such as deploying, cloning, and protecting VMs, are managed centrally through Nutanix Prism (included in AHV), rather than utilizing disparate products and policies in a piecemeal strategy. The solution was designed for businesses that want to have more control over their infrastructure.

Nutanix AHV comes ready for a multi-cloud world. With Acropolis and AHV, virtualization is tightly integrated into the Enterprise Cloud OS rather than being layered on as a standalone product that needs to be licensed, deployed, and managed separately.

Nutanix AHV Features

Nutanix AHV has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Increased agility and flexibility with on-demand, self-service provisioning
  • Reduced time to market for new services
  • Improved operational efficiency
  • Decreased TCO
  • Unified management across hybrid cloud environments

Nutanix AHV Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Nutanix AHV. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Low operational costs: Nutanix AHV offers the ability to run virtual machines on your own servers. This can save you money on hardware and licensing costs, as well as give you more control over your infrastructure.
  • Live migration: Nutanix AHV features live migration and high availability, which can help prevent data loss in the event of a server failure.
  • No licensing agreements: Self-service provisioning is a key feature of Nutanix AHV. With AHV, customers can deploy their apps and services on any cloud or on-premises infrastructure without the need for complex licensing agreements.
  • Native security: AHV offers customers state-of-the-art security features and tight integration with other Nutanix products and solutions. It features factory-applied security best practices, network microsegmentation, and built-in configuration audit and remediation.
  • Simple, flexible, scalable: AHV provides customers with a flexible and scalable platform that can be easily expanded as their needs change. Overall, AHV provides an ideal solution for organizations looking to simplify their IT infrastructure while still maintaining flexibility and control.
  • Exceptional performance: AHV Virtualization not only makes your operations more efficient but also ensures that the most demanding enterprise applications run optimally on Nutanix Cloud Infrastructure.

Reviews from Real Users

Nutanix AHV stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its ability to upgrade in one click and its user-friendly interface. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:

Ange E., a system and infrastructure consultant at CBI, notes, “The one-click upgrade is the solution's most valuable feature. It allows you to perform upgrades even when you are in production. Without having to wait for a maintenance window, you can perform your upgrade. It is a non-disruptive operation.”

Sudhakar K., a tech head at Micropoint Computers Pvt. Ltd., writes, “The solution is user-friendly and provides good virtual machine backups. The user interface gets updated when there is a new release.”

Nutanix AHV Customers

JetBlue, International Speedway Corporation, SAIC Volkswagen

Nutanix AHV Video

Nutanix AHV Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nutanix AHV pricing:
  • "Nutanix AHV is free."
  • "We don't have to pay extra for Acropolis because it is built into Nutanix."
  • "The price of the solution can always be lower. However, the price of the solution is reasonable."
  • "The price of Nutanix AHV is reasonable."
  • Nutanix AHV Reviews

Steffen Hornung - PeerSpot reviewer
    Administrator at Neuberger Gebäudeautomation GmbH
    Easy to set up with good stability and good technical support
    • "It is the simple non-consideration we get with this product that's great. It just works."
    • "If you have the need for special hardware like FibreChannel-Cards or such and there is no networked-way around it (such as you could work with USB Dongles via an HW-Dongle-Server of network), you have to use a separate hypervisor."

What is our primary use case?

The cluster is used for software tests, evaluations, or migration projects driven by Nutanix Calm. We needed a simpler approach with a higher grade of automation for testing purposes. As I already stated in my Nutanix Calm review, Nutanix Calm lets us do this. AHV was used so that we would not have any additional spend on a hypervisor. VM management does not require an additional management server like vCenter. Sizing the solution has always taken into account the need for Nutanix Controller-VMs (CVM) - the main part of AOS - to form the cluster and present storage to the hypervisor.

How has it helped my organization?

Nutanix AHV is the invisible hypervisor integrated into Nutanix AOS. Like with any other Nutanix solution, they do API-first. This way, it can be tightly integrated. Management is done through Nutanix Prism Web-Management. We deploy our machines using Nutanix Calm, so we get to have standardized VMs while tailored to the use case on hand. Updates are done with the Lifecycle Manager (LCM) which too is integrated into Prism. It takes care of most cross-dependencies between Prism, Calm, AOS, AHV, and Firmware Updates. AHV helps us because it is a no-brainer in regard to management.

What is most valuable?

There are no specific features we would consider special. It is the simple non-consideration we get with this product that's great. It just works. You can just do all the other things you are wrapped up with, so you can focus on anything but AHV. It is a hypervisor, not some exciting application server you have to tend to regularly. Therefore, the most valuable feature of AHV is "having time for other things". As stated above, the lack of a need for something like vCenter has its perks, too. It is rather cool to have and underscores Nutanix's approach of "invisible infrastructure".

What needs improvement?

Since it is tightly integrated, you want to have it as a single installable thing. But that is against its nature. The tight integration with AOS makes it what it is. AHV is mostly on par with ESXi. Since it comes together with AOS you must compare it to ESXI with VSAN to get the complete picture. It can do vGPU just like ESXi, can move VMs just like ESXi, and snapshots won't make it "stun" the VM as it does on ESXi. If you ever have a problem, hit up Nutanix Support. I've never had better support. Just do a Proof-of-Concept and have them wow you. Just to be clear: If you have the need for special hardware like FibreChannel-Cards or such and there is no networked-way around it (such as you could work with USB Dongles via an HW-Dongle-Server of network), you have to use a separate hypervisor. That said, you could still present NFS from the Nutanix Cluster to VMware or use an iSCSI-Connection in-guest or in-host from the Nutanix Cluster.
    Nutanix AHV
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Nutanix AHV. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    607,332 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We started using the solution back in 2019 with AHV. We still have our production system running with VMware.

We never had any issues regarding stability. There were a few vendor warnings (aka Nutanix field advisory) which mentioned possible stabiity issues in certain scenarios, depending on the customers setup. As with any solution, fixes are made and only an update away. Stability is always critical to a solution so you have to keep all components on a compatible level. To achieve that Nutanix introduced LifeCycleManager (LCM) to help with this. LCM wont show any versions where critical issues are known to keep you from getting an issue just from updating. You always get a target version which is known safe and compatible with your running components.  To make it your own choice between safety and new features they have STS and LTS as known from other software. STS (Short Term Service) versions are updated very frequent and you can (and to some degree have to) update every few weeks and get the newest features. If you are not so keen on updating that frequent you just stick to LTS.  Alas, AHV is updated independently from AOS. So whether you are on LTS or STS with AOS you can just upgrade to a compatible AHV version with LCM, just make sure you have only AHV selected. If you had (like me) an ESXi cluster paired with various components from NetApp, you really appreciate the Nutanix LCM that comes with it. I have seen more purple-screen-of-death than I'd like to admit. However, I've had nothing like that with AHV.  All the Nutanix field advisories from the vendor are there to help you keep it running. Nutanix Support helps clear out any questions whatsoever.

Scalability is the true nature of a true HCI solution. You can scale as you like. If you just need storage, you would put storage nodes that are blocked for running VMs on.

The support team is superb. Activating remote support on ticket creation gives them a head start at working on your issue. Ticket pickup-time is great and the support staff is polite and knowledgeable.

We just had some VM templates on ESXi but that did not cut it. Not by far. Handcrafting test VMs was just too cumbersome.

As easy as it gets. The servers came pre-installed. You just update to the desired version to start with.

We set everything up with a consultant from our local Nutanix Partner. His expertise was formidable.

Given an average of 2-5 days until a VM is ready before AHV and the free offering of the AHV hypervisor, that is difficult to calculate.

I'd advise users to get a proof-of-concept (POC) to evaluate the solution. Considering other HCI solutions, which AHV is a part of. The pricing is competitive with ESXi+vSAN. Setup is done in a matter of hours. The longest part is racking it in the data center.

We had roughly 10 years of experience with ESX(i), so we knew what alternatives were out there.

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    Good support, easy to manage, and it scales with just one click
    • "The most valuable feature is manageability."
    • "My storage use is doubled; if I am creating a one TB virtual machine then my storage policy will take two TB from my cluster."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is manageability. From one control, I can manage and monitor my entire cluster.

Also, I like the Prism console of Nutanix.

There are two features, one is data protection that is in-built with Nutanix, and the other is that I can schedule my VM backups. I don't need to buy any third-party software for that. If I have the ESXi to Hyper-V, I need to have third-party software. But in Nutanix, I don't have to buy any third-party software, because I have the data protection feature.

The third and most important feature is LCM, Life Cycle Management. With one click, I can upgrade my firmware as well as my software version, and there will be no downtime required for that. It is seamless.

What needs improvement?

It's difficult to find something that needs improvement, for me, it's a perfect solution. I have not had any issues in the three years that I have been using it.

I was faced with one small problem, but I had the resolution immediately.

I don't see any issues with Hypervisor AHV.

No one is the best in the industry, and there is something in which they are neutral.

Currently, they have storage that is RS2 by default, and when I create one VM with the RA2 environment it will automatically create a second copy. My storage use is doubled; if I am creating a one TB virtual machine then my storage policy will take two TB from my cluster.

I need a second policy for that. For Dev and for Testing.

I don't need the backups. I am only doing R&D.

I need one feature, in that I can create one storage policy without any redundancy factor where when I create my 100 GB virtual machine or 100 GB workload, that only uses storage of 100 GB. I would prefer this because unnecessarily, my space is being utilized for creating a backup copy.

This feature I've got in ESXi, where I can define different policies for my storage and containers, is useful, but in Nutanix, there are only two policies, RS2 and RS3.

Last month, I completed a session with the Nutanix UI team where I provided feedback for the UI upgrades. This would be useful.

I have been using Nutanix AHV for more than three years.

I am upgrading the AHV version with LTS.

I have downloaded the two versions, one is LTS and the other is STS.

It is a stable solution. In the three years that have been using it, I have not had any issues.

It's a scalable solution.

You can upgrade it with one click because I have upgraded my cluster from a four-node cluster to a six node cluster. You can upgrade with one-click, and you don't need to provision a lot of things or plan a lot of things. You just need to identify it. You need the IP address and Nutanix Prism will do it automatically.

The Nutanix support team is very good.

If you Google the net promoter score, it is over 90. With VMware and Microsoft, the Net Promotor Score is 50, but their support is also good.

The initial setup was easy.

If you know basic English, and if you have an IT background, then you don't need to have any training for the implementation.

You just go through the portal, at nutanix.com. There is one EXE available, and you just need to download it on your laptop and just run. It will automatically discover your nodes and then you need only align the IP and your cluster is ready in about two to three hours.

What other advice do I have?

I will recommend it because it is easy to manage, and you don't need to be skilled for that. You don't need any training at all. If you spend one or two days dedicated to Prism, you will get to know everything. This includes how to create VMs, how to manage storage, how to manage the client-server, how to monitor the entire cluster, and there are lots of algorithms available. this means that you don't need to configure things like a Hyper-V or ESXi.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner..
    Nutanix AHV
    June 2022
    607,332 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    System & Infrastructure Consultant at CBI
    MSP
    Easy to set up and quick to deploy with seamless one-click upgrades
    • "The solution scales very well."
    • "A lot of tasks cannot be performed using the GUI, the graphical interface."

What is our primary use case?

This is an HCI platform. You can use it in a physical environment that is not virtualized. Another use case can be as an application server in an application deployment. For instance, if I want to deploy a write-intensive application and I want to have a platform to implement this, the HCI solution has Nutanix can be a good solution for that.

What is most valuable?

The one-click upgrade is the solution's most valuable feature. It allows you to perform upgrades even when you are in production. Without having to wait for a maintenance window, you can perform your upgrade. It is a non-disruptive operation.

The initial setup is simple.

The solution scales very well.

What needs improvement?

A lot of tasks cannot be performed using the GUI, the graphical interface. They need to make it so that if you want to perform a task, you can do it using the GUI. So far, there are a lot of tasks you have to perform using CLI. When you compare it with VMware, you can perform a lot of tasks using your vCenter GUI however, in the case of Nutanix, it is not something that is very easy to do. You have to do a lot of things using the CLI. This is one of the areas they have to improve on.

I've been using the solution for six years.

The scalability is very fast. When you want to perform a scale-out, I mean having another server within your capacity, it's very simple. You just have to add a node, connect it to the network and that's all. Even when you want to perform a scale-out operation, you just have to migrate your VM, shut down the server, and do your upgrade. For instance, you can have additional node memory. After that, you will power your server again and that's all. You reconnect it on the network and that's all. It's very fast and simple if you want to scale. Customers find this very easy to do.

I've never reached out to technical support. Therefore, I can't speak to how helpful they are.

The solution offers a very easy initial setup. If it's a basic set of tasks,  it's very simple. However, for more advanced tasks, you must use the CLI. That can be uncomfortable for some users.

The deployment is very, very fast. When you perform an installation, the basic installation takes generally two days. You can deploy a cluster, and, after that, you have some tasks to perform. That might involve migrating some existing VMs, some physical VMs, performing the network integration and so on. It takes a few days to implement your cluster.

I'm not sure of the exact pricing, however, it is my understanding that at this point, we just have to pay for the renewal for the support. It has a perpetual license. Normally, all the licenses in Nutanix are perpetual. We just renew the support after three years.

What other advice do I have?

We are Nutanix partners.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Igor Zheltukhin - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead Engineer at IBS Platformix
    Convenient, excellent support, feature-rich and is free
    • "You don't need any other instruments for control, AHV. You only need to look at the prism to control all infrastructure."
    • "I would like to see more automation of Day One operations, such as DRS, and HA."

What is our primary use case?

Nutanix AHV is one control plane for the entire infrastructure we operate.

What is most valuable?

It is very convenient.

Our customers like that it is license-free.

AHV is a very powerful solution that is on par with VMware.

Nutanix has all of the features that customers require.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more automation of Day One operations, such as DRS, and HA.

AHV has managing controls but could be better.

The disadvantage is that you must be familiar with Linux in order to delve deep into this solution if necessary.

I am aware of one disadvantage for AHV at this time, which is that Nutanix does not yet have a disaster recovery solution for AHV. We use another solution. Nutanix has metro clusters for VMware but no production solution for AHV. It would be an advantage if Nutanix would include this option.

I am an integrator. We resell and implement solutions.

I don't recall any major issues with AHV. Customers who are unfamiliar with Linux and KVM may encounter difficulties. It can be a problem. And I believe that the number of Linux specialists is significantly lower than the number of VMware specialists. It could be a problem. There is a steep learning curve.

It scales in the same way other solutions do. Scalability is good.

You only need to add nodes to the cluster, and it will automatically expand.

Their support is very good, and they can assist you with AHV issues. You don't need to understand this solution thoroughly, Nutanix can help you.

We work mostly with Nutanix, VxRail, and vSAN.

The initial setup is not difficult for me. I'm very familiar with the solutions, and it's always the same for me when I implement them; I don't notice any significant differences.

Nutanix AHV is free.

In general, the most significant issue for our customers is that Nutanix is the most expensive solution, and not all can afford the solution.

I am a partner and a hyper-converged system implementer. I sell for customers, and I need to understand the differences between various systems in order to explain and answer customer questions about what's best for their environment.

What other advice do I have?

The customer should learn Linux, but is not necessary, because we are the main stack of operations is done with prism. Its GUI is ideal for user experience, and they don't need to go to CLI to do anything.

I would rate Nutanix AHV a nine out of ten. Because every vendor is required to rate it a 10, but I believe that AHV has areas in which they can improve.

Luis Alonso - PeerSpot reviewer
    Regional Operations Manager at Einzelnet
    Reseller
    Free to use with a good user interface and very good integration capabilities
    • "It's user-friendly."
    • "VMware does tend to have more features than AHV. It's more of the leader in this space."

What is our primary use case?

We implement the solution overall in an on-premise environment. We primarily use the solution for business continuity plans and disaster recovery plans. We use Nutanix for our infrastructure as a service.

What is most valuable?

Nutanix is well implemented for business continuity and disaster recovery plans as it's a technology with full tolerance and is good for these cases.

AHV is free. When you implement Nutanix, when you buy a Nutanix appliance, AHV is free. It is inside of the appliance. You can decide if use it or choose another hypervisor such as VMware.

The user interface is fine.

It integrates well with other Nutanix solutions.

The initial setup is very fast.

It offers very good stability.

We find it to be highly scalable.

It's user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I don't have enough knowledge to answer this question. I'm not extremely technical.

It's a stable, resilient solution.

The solution scales well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

The support is outstanding. You can choose the kind or the type of support you need and they are always available.

I'm also familiar with Microsoft and VMware. VMware has many or more features than AHV. However, for example, the Microsoft Hypervisor is not in competition against Acropolis Hypervisor. It's not as robust. If I had to choose between AHV and Microsoft, I would choose AHV.

The product offers a very simple, very straightforward setup. It's very fast as well. I'd give it a four out of five rating in terms of the ease of the process.

We are an information technology company. We are an integrator, we are a service provider and we have consultants. We can handle any installation for ourselves or clients.

The solution is free to use with other Nutanix appliances. There is no licensing cost, no managing cost, and no maintenance cost.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners of Nutanix. I work as an IT project manager. We are resellers of the infrastructure as a service and we internally have a Nutanix environment to handle reseller infrastructure as a service to our customers. My skill set does not include a technical skillset with Nutanix.

I would rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Vice President of Information Technology at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to troubleshoot and resolve problems, but there are compatibility problems with other software
    • "The entirety of the infrastructure resides in the same product, which makes it easy to troubleshoot and investigate problems."
    • "It worked well in the beginning but after using it for some time, we found some limitations in terms of compatibility with other software."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is as an application server.

How has it helped my organization?

This product is has helped us move from traditional infrastructure to an HCI infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The entirety of the infrastructure resides in the same product, which makes it easy to troubleshoot and investigate problems. In a traditional infrastructure, it is separated according to hardware such as storage. When we have issues, we spend a lot of time investigating. With Nutanix, it helps reduce the time required to resolve problems.

What needs improvement?

Some of our applications do not support Nutanix. There are some compatibility issues and some of our software cannot run on it. It worked well in the beginning but after using it for some time, we found some limitations in terms of compatibility with other software. It has been okay because it does run our main applications.

I have been using Acropolis for between two and three years.

The stability is good and it can run our main applications. Aside from the issues with compatibility, it is quite stable.

Being our application server, we sometimes have almost 1,000 users. We have two or three administrators to maintain it.

We have obtained technical support from the vendor.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is quick to set up and start using it.

We brought in third-party consultants to assist us with the implementation.

We now deploy it using our own team, which has fewer than 10 people.

We don't have to pay extra for Acropolis because it is built into Nutanix. If we were using another product, like VMware, then we would need to have a separate license for the hypervisor.

There are many other options that we can choose from that will not have the same problems in terms of compatibility. In the future, we will probably move to Dell to use a different solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that is certainly good for some use cases, but it is not the best. It would be better if the compatibility with applications like third-party backup software was improved.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Data Center and Cloud Manager at MTDS
    MSP
    Beneficial hyper-converged infrastructure, scalable, and responsive technical support
    • "For our markets here in Morocco, we are mainly working with server virtualization, and the most valuable feature is the software-defined storage and hyper-converged infrastructure."
    • "The management console needs to improve to make it easier for administrators. For example, to be able to reorganize our VMs, folders, and subfolders, similarly as it is provided in VMware. We can sort, manage, and organize VMs, folders, or subfolders in VMware."

What is our primary use case?

We are a hosting provider that uses Nutanix AHV for our own needs. We have our platform that is using Nutanix and we use it for the needs of our customers in their companies.

How has it helped my organization?

Nutanix has allowed us to offer our customers a solid, scalable, and efficient solution for their infrastructures in order to support them in their digital transformation projects.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Nutanix AHV for approximately five years.

The solution is very stable.

Nutanix AHV is scalable.

We have approximately 6 people using the solution in my organization.

The technical support is very good and the time that it takes for them to respond is fast, we are very satisfied.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is easy, it takes approximately one hour to complete.

In-house team

What other advice do I have?

I encourage people to use this solution because we are a partner with them for about four to five years, and we are happy with them.

I rate Nutanix AHV a seven out of ten.

Jason Lau - PeerSpot reviewer
    Account Manager ITS at Ricoh HK
    Reseller
    Beneficial central console, helpful support, and price well
    • "The most valuable feature of Nutanix AHV is the prism, it is a beneficial central management console."
    • "There are times when consultants, construction, or building firms need to use Beam but it can be difficult."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Nutanix AHV is the prism, it is a beneficial central management console.

What needs improvement?

Nutanix marketplace can integrate with Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Oracle, and SAP. Nutanix should focus more on databases because even though Nutanix has Jira, the central console or management tools are for different databases.  If Nutanix can develop its own database solution it would be a benefit.

Nutanix as a hypervisor or for the scaling up or down, the flexibility is quite good in its functionality, but for the database, it's very different. I hope Nutanix can develop its own database solution.

I have been using Nutanix AHV for three to four years.

I have found Nutanix AHV to be a stable solution.

One of the main selling points of Nutanix AHV is scalability. It scales very well.

Most of our customers using this solution are medium to enterprise size companies.

The technical support of Nutanix AHV is very good.

I have used VMware previously. When comparing Nutanix AHV to VMware in Hong Kong, VMware is more popular and valuable for local IT companies.

The price of  Nutanix AHV is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Nutanix AHV an eight out of ten.

Download our free Nutanix AHV Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022