Nutanix AHV Virtualization OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nutanix AHV Virtualization is the #7 ranked solution in best Server Virtualization Software. PeerSpot users give Nutanix AHV Virtualization an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Nutanix AHV Virtualization is most commonly compared to VMware vSphere: Nutanix AHV Virtualization vs VMware vSphere. Nutanix AHV Virtualization is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
Nutanix AHV Virtualization Buyer's Guide

Download the Nutanix AHV Virtualization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Nutanix AHV Virtualization?
Nutanix AHV is a secure, enterprise-grade solution for intuitive virtualization and container management. It streamlines operations and simplifies management for all your workloads and environments.
Nutanix AHV Virtualization Customers

JetBlue, International Speedway Corporation, SAIC Volkswagen

Nutanix AHV Virtualization Video

Nutanix AHV Virtualization Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nutanix AHV Virtualization pricing:
  • "I would rate the pricing a three out of five. It is expensive, but it also provides the value for money and performance that you require as a hyperconverged and virtualization software."
  • "The licenses are perpetual, which means they don't expire. Even if we don't have support or don't renew the support service after three years, we will still be able to use the solution."
  • "Nutanix AHV is free."
  • Nutanix AHV Virtualization Reviews

Atif Najam - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Information Officer and Program Lead at Gatron Industries Ltd
    Lightweight, integrates well, and the technical support is responsive
    • "The support is excellent."
    • "If you want to install a specific operating system, you must first check to see if it is listed in the compatibility list; only then will you be able to install it, and that is one issue for now."

What is our primary use case?

To use geo clusters, you must have AHV running at the bottom of Prism Central. That was one application. Clusters must connect to multiple geographic locations.

Second, we needed a lightweight system that could integrate with AHV Prism natively.

Nutanix It was an out-of-the-box integration with AHV being Nutanix and Prism being Nutanix. We didn't have to do anything special to integrate it with Prism.

Third, an application feature was available with AHV that was not available with VMware or other solutions. That feature enabled us to create VM-level recovery and production sites across our spectrum.

Fourth, the way AHV and CVM actually work, because if you buy VMware, it must be integrated with vSAN; in this case, CVM was integrated with AHV.

What needs improvement?

Many backup solutions that we use today are available for purchase, be it IBM, VMware, Veritas, or anything else. They usually have very good vSphere and Hyper-V support. Because there isn't much AHV deployment in place, we typically have issues with the integrations that AHV has with backup solutions. We would like to see AHV's backup solution integration improved so that we can take VM-level backups directly from Nutanix.

The issue is that it provides a higher VM level for VMware and other areas. When it comes to AHV, however, you must purchase a separate set of third-party software, which can then supplement that backup via your IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.

One issue we frequently encounter when using AHV is that if you want to install specific software, you must first gain compatibility.

If you want to install an operating system, or OS, on top of your AHV, only a few operating systems are supported. That is one area where I would like to see some progress. VMware typically supports almost all of our systems, as does Hyper-V, but when it comes to AHV, we must apply specific patches in order to run it on top of AHV. Operating system support must be improved out of the box.

If you want to install software, you must first ensure that it is compatible with Nutanix AHV; not all software is compatible.

It is not possible to integrate it with everything. There is limited compatibility with the software that can be installed on top of Nutanix AHV, for example.

I have been working with Nutanix AHV Virtualization for approximately three to four years.

We had a few issues initially. There was some upgrading required because the system was initially behaving abnormally due to a firmware issue that was causing issues with our memory. However, a fix was provided, and we have had no problems since. We had no problems because Nutanix usually provides proactive support.

Overall Nutanix AHV Virtualization is very stable.

Nutanix AHV Virtualization
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Nutanix AHV Virtualization. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Nutanix AHV Virtualization is a very scalable solution.

I have approximately 6,000 people who use the services that I provide on top of this AHV system.

Because we are running Oracle-based ERP on that, all of the users are internal.

In terms of support, there are two systems that I usually consider. First and foremost, it is most likely proactive in identifying any future problems that the team may encounter.

They have a system that allows them to log in every day to the support team, and they actually go through that support and let us know if they see any problems. For example, if we have a problem, and we engage the Nutanix resources, most of the resources that Nutanix aligns with us are very good technically, and they usually resolve the problem within an hour or two at most.

The support is excellent.

I would rate the technical support a five out of five because it is critical that vendors can see what the problem is with the product after they have made a sale.

It is important that the team providing user support assists us in resolving issues as quickly as possible.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Spectrum Protect Plus, is an IBM product, that we are using for backup and recovery.

We used multiple platforms to evaluate the products. What we were aiming for was a private cloud server environment in which we could provide application services, infrastructure services, and other similar services for a fee. This was the solution's actual vision.

To evaluate the product, we needed to consider a variety of factors. One was the product's technical soundness.

VMware has already been used in several cases, but the issue was that in the case of VMware, we had to procure four to five different solutions. For example, to deliver the same feature set as Nutanix Prism Central, we had to purchase vRealize Orchestrator, vRealize Operations Manager, Orchestrator, the NSX platform, and so on.

We chose Nutanix AHV Virtualization primarily because we did not require other products, for example, when comparing it to VMware, we simply listed three additional products that we required to deploy the VMware hyperconverged option. We chose Nutanix AHV because it was obviously the easier option.

Nutanix Management Cluster was the solution we chose, with Nutanix Prism running on top.

It was pretty straightforward; all you had to do was turn on the hardware, and the software was already installed.

Nutanix can send you those configured, pre-installed, and up-and-running systems; all you have to do is bring it in and do the system. There was nothing to be done; the only initial configuration was to connect the cluster to the system, and that was it.

I would rate the initial setup a five out of five.

Everything was predeployed and preconfigured. We only needed to plug in the power and network to get it up and running.

The entire setup took about 15 to 20 minutes. It was just bouncing the servers and powering the bot.

Both options are available. You can also have a hybrid model, as well as an on-premises model and a cloud model. It really depends on how you want your infrastructure to be designed. We have a model that is on-premises.

We have the on-premises version of AHV, and as I mentioned earlier, everything grew so large that we had to move on-premises.

It is essentially self-sustaining. We don't have to intervene very often.

We can purchase a subscription and have a specific piece of hardware and software available on the cloud. We have the on-premises version.

There are two types of AHV licenses available on the market. The first is the perpetual model, in which the license is purchased once and an annual support fee is paid, and the second is the Cluster model.

When we removed AHV, we were left with the perpetual model.

We paid a one-time fee for the license, and there is an annual maintenance or support fee for patches and everything else.

We do not pay licensing costs on an annual basis, and we pay the support and maintenance fees once a year to ensure that we have the necessary support and maintenance.

The annual maintenance cost is approximately 15 to 18% of the actual cost that you pay. If you buy the solution for $100,000, the support and maintenance contract will cost you $15,000 per year.

It is dependent on the use case. If you only want to buy a hypervisor, it is a very expensive product; however, if you look at the entire solution as a whole, totality, it is less expensive. Because when we compared the prices of VMware and Nutanix as a whole bundle, there was a difference of around 25%, with Nutanix being 25% less expensive because you are purchasing the entire package.

Based on my experience, if you want to buy virtualization and other things, it is a little pricey, but it showed us what the value is.

Price can be a bit slow if you want to break into the market, but it is a premium product, it is pricey.

I would rate the pricing a three out of five. It is expensive, but it also provides the value for money and performance that you require as a hyperconverged and virtualization software.

We were looking for a turnkey solution for a hyperconverged system.

There were several options available, including Nutanix with VMware vSphere as the virtualization layer, Hyper-V as the virtualization layer, and AHV as the virtualization layer.

Certain feature sets are only available with AHV hypervisors when it comes to Nutanix clusters.

What other advice do I have?

Because they have revisions for backup, and their availability, I would rate Nutanix AHV Virtualization an eight out of ten.

Steffen Hornung - PeerSpot reviewer
    Administrator at Neuberger Gebäudeautomation GmbH
    Easy to set up with good stability and good technical support
    • "It is the simple non-consideration we get with this product that's great. It just works."
    • "If you have the need for special hardware like FibreChannel-Cards or such and there is no networked-way around it (such as you could work with USB Dongles via an HW-Dongle-Server of network), you have to use a separate hypervisor."

What is our primary use case?

The cluster is used for software tests, evaluations, or migration projects driven by Nutanix Calm. We needed a simpler approach with a higher grade of automation for testing purposes. As I already stated in my Nutanix Calm review, Nutanix Calm lets us do this. AHV was used so that we would not have any additional spend on a hypervisor. VM management does not require an additional management server like vCenter. Sizing the solution has always taken into account the need for Nutanix Controller-VMs (CVM) - the main part of AOS - to form the cluster and present storage to the hypervisor.

How has it helped my organization?

Nutanix AHV is the invisible hypervisor integrated into Nutanix AOS. Like with any other Nutanix solution, they do API-first. This way, it can be tightly integrated. Management is done through Nutanix Prism Web-Management. We deploy our machines using Nutanix Calm, so we get to have standardized VMs while tailored to the use case on hand.

Updates are done with the Lifecycle Manager (LCM) which too is integrated into Prism. It takes care of most cross-dependencies between Prism, Calm, AOS, AHV, and Firmware Updates.

AHV helps us because it is a no-brainer in regard to management.

What is most valuable?

There are no specific features we would consider special. It is the simple non-consideration we get with this product that's great. It just works. You can just do all the other things you are wrapped up with, so you can focus on anything but AHV. It is a hypervisor, not some exciting application server you have to tend to regularly. Therefore, the most valuable feature of AHV is "having time for other things".

As stated above, the lack of a need for something like vCenter has its perks, too. It is rather cool to have and underscores Nutanix's approach of "invisible infrastructure".

What needs improvement?

Since it is tightly integrated, you want to have it as a single installable thing. But that is against its nature. The tight integration with AOS makes it what it is. AHV is mostly on par with ESXi. Since it comes together with AOS you must compare it to ESXI with VSAN to get the complete picture. It can do vGPU just like ESXi, can move VMs just like ESXi, and snapshots won't make it "stun" the VM as it does on ESXi.

If you ever have a problem, hit up Nutanix Support. I've never had better support. Just do a Proof-of-Concept and have them wow you.

Just to be clear: If you have the need for special hardware like FibreChannel-Cards or such and there is no networked-way around it (such as you could work with USB Dongles via an HW-Dongle-Server of network), you have to use a separate hypervisor. That said, you could still present NFS from the Nutanix Cluster to VMware or use an iSCSI-Connection in-guest or in-host from the Nutanix Cluster.

We started using the solution back in 2019 with AHV. We still have our production system running with VMware.

We never had any issues regarding stability. There were a few vendor warnings (aka Nutanix field advisory) which mentioned possible stabiity issues in certain scenarios, depending on the customers setup.

As with any solution, fixes are made and only an update away. Stability is always critical to a solution so you have to keep all components on a compatible level. To achieve that Nutanix introduced LifeCycleManager (LCM) to help with this. LCM wont show any versions where critical issues are known to keep you from getting an issue just from updating. You always get a target version which is known safe and compatible with your running components.

To make it your own choice between safety and new features they have STS and LTS as known from other software. STS (Short Term Service) versions are updated very frequent and you can (and to some degree have to) update every few weeks and get the newest features. If you are not so keen on updating that frequent you just stick to LTS.

Alas, AHV is updated independently from AOS. So whether you are on LTS or STS with AOS you can just upgrade to a compatible AHV version with LCM, just make sure you have only AHV selected.

If you had (like me) an ESXi cluster paired with various components from NetApp, you really appreciate the Nutanix LCM that comes with it. I have seen more purple-screen-of-death than I'd like to admit. However, I've had nothing like that with AHV.

All the Nutanix field advisories from the vendor are there to help you keep it running. Nutanix Support helps clear out any questions whatsoever.

Scalability is the true nature of a true HCI solution. You can scale as you like. If you just need storage, you would put storage nodes that are blocked for running VMs on.

The support team is superb. Activating remote support on ticket creation gives them a head start at working on your issue. Ticket pickup-time is great and the support staff is polite and knowledgeable.

We just had some VM templates on ESXi but that did not cut it. Not by far. Handcrafting test VMs was just too cumbersome.

As easy as it gets. The servers came pre-installed. You just update to the desired version to start with.

We set everything up with a consultant from our local Nutanix Partner. His expertise was formidable.

Given an average of 2-5 days until a VM is ready before AHV and the free offering of the AHV hypervisor, that is difficult to calculate.

I'd advise users to get a proof-of-concept (POC) to evaluate the solution. Considering other HCI solutions, which AHV is a part of. The pricing is competitive with ESXi+vSAN.

Setup is done in a matter of hours. The longest part is racking it in the data center.

We had roughly 10 years of experience with ESX(i), so we knew what alternatives were out there.

Nutanix AHV Virtualization
    November 2022
    653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    System & Infrastructure Consultant at CBI
    MSP
    Easy to set up and quick to deploy with seamless one-click upgrades
    • "The solution scales very well."
    • "A lot of tasks cannot be performed using the GUI, the graphical interface."

What is our primary use case?

This is an HCI platform. You can use it in a physical environment that is not virtualized. Another use case can be as an application server in an application deployment. For instance, if I want to deploy a write-intensive application and I want to have a platform to implement this, the HCI solution has Nutanix can be a good solution for that.

What is most valuable?

The one-click upgrade is the solution's most valuable feature. It allows you to perform upgrades even when you are in production. Without having to wait for a maintenance window, you can perform your upgrade. It is a non-disruptive operation.

The initial setup is simple.

The solution scales very well.

What needs improvement?

A lot of tasks cannot be performed using the GUI, the graphical interface. They need to make it so that if you want to perform a task, you can do it using the GUI. So far, there are a lot of tasks you have to perform using CLI. When you compare it with VMware, you can perform a lot of tasks using your vCenter GUI however, in the case of Nutanix, it is not something that is very easy to do. You have to do a lot of things using the CLI. This is one of the areas they have to improve on.

I've been using the solution for six years.

The scalability is very fast. When you want to perform a scale-out, I mean having another server within your capacity, it's very simple. You just have to add a node, connect it to the network and that's all. Even when you want to perform a scale-out operation, you just have to migrate your VM, shut down the server, and do your upgrade. For instance, you can have additional node memory. After that, you will power your server again and that's all. You reconnect it on the network and that's all. It's very fast and simple if you want to scale. Customers find this very easy to do.

I've never reached out to technical support. Therefore, I can't speak to how helpful they are.

The solution offers a very easy initial setup. If it's a basic set of tasks,  it's very simple. However, for more advanced tasks, you must use the CLI. That can be uncomfortable for some users.

The deployment is very, very fast. When you perform an installation, the basic installation takes generally two days. You can deploy a cluster, and, after that, you have some tasks to perform. That might involve migrating some existing VMs, some physical VMs, performing the network integration and so on. It takes a few days to implement your cluster.

I'm not sure of the exact pricing, however, it is my understanding that at this point, we just have to pay for the renewal for the support. It has a perpetual license. Normally, all the licenses in Nutanix are perpetual. We just renew the support after three years.

What other advice do I have?

We are Nutanix partners.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

System Administrator at Confidential
    MSP
    Help us manage our virtual environment and create virtual machines
    • "If we want to move the virtual machine from one host to another, it's simple, straightforward, and stable."
    • "There are some issues with the interface and integration."

What is our primary use case?

We use AHV to manage our virtual environment. The AHV is the hypervisor that we use to create virtual machines. AHV has another layer called AOS, which means the Acropolis Operating System from Nutanix.

AHV is based on a well-known hypervisor called the KVM hypervisor. KVM hypervisor is an open source hypervisor from Red Hat. Nutanix took KVM and added many features on top of it that weren't available. For example, moving virtual machines from KVM to another KVM wasn't possible without many configurations.

We're using the most updated version of AHV. It's deployed on-premises.

What needs improvement?

There are some issues with the interface and integration. The AHV management console is a web-based console. Sometimes the interface doesn't capture the mouse or keyboard strokes from the managing console to integrate with the virtual machines. Sometimes the type strokes aren't captured from the interface. To fix the problem, we have to close the interface and rerun it.

There's another problem with the scaling. If the main operating system is low scale, we can't see some parts of the virtual environment. For example, the screen won't be displayed because the window isn't big enough, so it's outside the scope of the screen.

The solution is stable. When we have a number of nodes and run the AHV hypervisor, we create a cluster and can create a virtual machine anywhere. If we want to move the virtual machine from one host to another, it's simple, straightforward, and stable. There's no interruption of the virtual machine. For example, we can run a ping to the virtual machine continuously, move the virtual machine from one node to another, and the ping won't drop.

There's no interruption of services when we move from one host to another. I think it's because the environment doesn't have many virtual machines.

It's scalable.

Technical support is good.

Deployment took less than two days.

We have three years of guaranteed support. When we need troubleshooting or help with maintenance, we call the company or the resellers will send the engineer that deployed the environment to solve the problem.

We purchased the solution with three years of support. It's a one-time purchase. After that, we will need to renew support. The licenses are perpetual, which means they don't expire. Even if we don't have support or don't renew the support service after three years, we will still be able to use the solution.

I have compared the solution with VMware and Hyper-V.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.

For someone who is planning to implement this solution, my advice is that if you're interested in it, buy everything that's Nutanix. Don't try to mix up different solutions from different manufacturers because you'll lose many features. If you want an all-in-one solution, go for the Nutanix all-in-one environment. Don't try to buy from other manufacturers.

Igor Zheltukhin - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead Engineer at IBS Platformix
    Convenient, excellent support, feature-rich and is free
    • "You don't need any other instruments for control, AHV. You only need to look at the prism to control all infrastructure."
    • "I would like to see more automation of Day One operations, such as DRS, and HA."

What is our primary use case?

Nutanix AHV is one control plane for the entire infrastructure we operate.

What is most valuable?

It is very convenient.

Our customers like that it is license-free.

AHV is a very powerful solution that is on par with VMware.

Nutanix has all of the features that customers require.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more automation of Day One operations, such as DRS, and HA.

AHV has managing controls but could be better.

The disadvantage is that you must be familiar with Linux in order to delve deep into this solution if necessary.

I am aware of one disadvantage for AHV at this time, which is that Nutanix does not yet have a disaster recovery solution for AHV. We use another solution. Nutanix has metro clusters for VMware but no production solution for AHV. It would be an advantage if Nutanix would include this option.

I am an integrator. We resell and implement solutions.

I don't recall any major issues with AHV. Customers who are unfamiliar with Linux and KVM may encounter difficulties. It can be a problem. And I believe that the number of Linux specialists is significantly lower than the number of VMware specialists. It could be a problem. There is a steep learning curve.

It scales in the same way other solutions do. Scalability is good.

You only need to add nodes to the cluster, and it will automatically expand.

Their support is very good, and they can assist you with AHV issues. You don't need to understand this solution thoroughly, Nutanix can help you.

We work mostly with Nutanix, VxRail, and vSAN.

The initial setup is not difficult for me. I'm very familiar with the solutions, and it's always the same for me when I implement them; I don't notice any significant differences.

Nutanix AHV is free.

In general, the most significant issue for our customers is that Nutanix is the most expensive solution, and not all can afford the solution.

I am a partner and a hyper-converged system implementer. I sell for customers, and I need to understand the differences between various systems in order to explain and answer customer questions about what's best for their environment.

What other advice do I have?

The customer should learn Linux, but is not necessary, because we are the main stack of operations is done with prism. Its GUI is ideal for user experience, and they don't need to go to CLI to do anything.

I would rate Nutanix AHV a nine out of ten. Because every vendor is required to rate it a 10, but I believe that AHV has areas in which they can improve.

Luis Alonso - PeerSpot reviewer
    Regional Operations Manager at Einzelnet
    Reseller
    Free to use with a good user interface and very good integration capabilities
    • "It's user-friendly."
    • "VMware does tend to have more features than AHV. It's more of the leader in this space."

What is our primary use case?

We implement the solution overall in an on-premise environment. We primarily use the solution for business continuity plans and disaster recovery plans. We use Nutanix for our infrastructure as a service.

What is most valuable?

Nutanix is well implemented for business continuity and disaster recovery plans as it's a technology with full tolerance and is good for these cases.

AHV is free. When you implement Nutanix, when you buy a Nutanix appliance, AHV is free. It is inside of the appliance. You can decide if use it or choose another hypervisor such as VMware.

The user interface is fine.

It integrates well with other Nutanix solutions.

The initial setup is very fast.

It offers very good stability.

We find it to be highly scalable.

It's user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I don't have enough knowledge to answer this question. I'm not extremely technical.

It's a stable, resilient solution.

The solution scales well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

The support is outstanding. You can choose the kind or the type of support you need and they are always available.

I'm also familiar with Microsoft and VMware. VMware has many or more features than AHV. However, for example, the Microsoft Hypervisor is not in competition against Acropolis Hypervisor. It's not as robust. If I had to choose between AHV and Microsoft, I would choose AHV.

The product offers a very simple, very straightforward setup. It's very fast as well. I'd give it a four out of five rating in terms of the ease of the process.

We are an information technology company. We are an integrator, we are a service provider and we have consultants. We can handle any installation for ourselves or clients.

The solution is free to use with other Nutanix appliances. There is no licensing cost, no managing cost, and no maintenance cost.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners of Nutanix. I work as an IT project manager. We are resellers of the infrastructure as a service and we internally have a Nutanix environment to handle reseller infrastructure as a service to our customers. My skill set does not include a technical skillset with Nutanix.

I would rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Evans Choge - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network and Security Administrator at Jambopay
    Great flexibility, usability, and responsiveness with ease of use
    • "The setup is efficient."
    • "The licensing costs are a little bit expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is utilizing it as a unified software. It's unified, easy to use and simplified. It has a lot of functionalities, such as replication and failovers, and we deploy it on-premises.

What is most valuable?

We have found the replication, analysis, and analytics tools valuable. It usually prompts when there is an impending issue that might occur. For example, if the failover is failing, or the remote site is down, it will alert you. The solution is very proactive and can even anticipate an issue that might occur. You can know in advance and be able to fix it.

What needs improvement?

The price of the solution can be improved.

We have been using this solution for one year.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable and there are currently 60 end users utilizing the solution. You can easily add resources. For example, when a server uses more resources, you can continuously optimize and reduce the server's resources, which uses less and the other, which employs more. It's very flexible and scalable, so you can take the flexibility you want. They are based on the usability and the resources of the infrastructure.

I rate customer service and support an eight out of ten. We had an issue and raised it with the Nutanix AHV Virtualization team, and they were able to resolve it. In addition, they have resolved any problems we request when we cannot manage them.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We previously used VMware and Hyper-V. However, we switched to this solution because of its flexibility, usability, and responsiveness. So, when you interact and have VMs running, or there's downtime or an issue, it usually transfers VMs from one node to another when there's an issue on one part of the node.

I didn't install this product, so I cannot comment on the setup. However, based on the research I've done with others, it's usually the same. It's efficient. The setup is efficient.

The licensing costs are a little bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution a ten out of ten, the solution is very good, but it could be cheaper. Nutanix AHV Virtualization is a very good solution, and I recommend it to anyone.

Aria Manager at Saudi Automotive Services Company (SASCO)
    Great features and an easy setup but can get expensive
    • "The solution is stable."
    • "The solution can be pricey."

What is our primary use case?

This is for on-prem virtual infrastructure, for computing storage, and to apply the hyper-converged infrastructure concept while doing a lot of virtualization features, like HA, high availability, redundancy, and replication. We also do some reports and analyses based on utilization. The product has a lot of features.

What is most valuable?

There are many features we can leverage.

The hyper-converged infrastructure concept is great. This is the best feature. I also like the high availability. This protects our workload against any failures, like a failure for load, or failure of a rack, drive, or network. It helps us create business continuity.

It's easy to set up.

The solution is stable.

It can scale well.

Technical support has been helpful.

What needs improvement?

I'm already looking into possibly adding micro-segmentation features. It will help control traffic better and make everything more secure.

The solution can be pricey.

I've been using the solution for seven years.

The stability has been good. It handles daily administrative tasks automatically. So far, there are no bugs or glitches, and it doesn't crash or freeze.

We have around 1,000 people using the solution.

It's scalable and easy to expand.

It's easy to contact technical support. They are helpful.

I've also used VMware solutions.

Both are basically the same. VMware is like Nutanix. Nutanix has an HCI feature. However, with VMware, we can use the vSAN. This is the same feature for hyper-converged infrastructure. That said, in VMware, you need a lot of licenses since every feature needs a license. In Nutanix, it's different. Everything is built into one product.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. However, it will depend on the design we go with. In our case, we needed just one week to get it deployed.

The solution is a bit expensive. We pay a lot of money for S nodes.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners.

While the solution is largely on-premises, we do have some infrastructure on AWS.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

I would recommend other companies deploy it. It's very powerful, whether it is on-prem or in the cloud.

Download our free Nutanix AHV Virtualization Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022