IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Nintex Workflow OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nintex Workflow is #10 ranked solution in top Process Automation tools and #13 ranked solution in BPM Software. PeerSpot users give Nintex Workflow an average rating of 8 out of 10. Nintex Workflow is most commonly compared to K2: Nintex Workflow vs K2. Nintex Workflow is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Business Process Management (BPM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Nintex Workflow?

At Nintex, our goal is to make work more meaningful by improving business processes. With the Nintex Platform, your organization can manage, automate, and optimize your business processes - all with clicks, not code.

Nintex Workflow was previously known as Nintex Workflow Platform.

Nintex Workflow Customers

Asiacell, Hawke’s Bay Regional Council, National Metrology Institute of South Africa, Norwegian Olympic Committee, Schnitzer Steel, MT Højgaard, Lippuner

Nintex Workflow Video

Archived Nintex Workflow Reviews (more than two years old)

Managing Director with 11-50 employees
Works well in conjunction with SharePoint, but the security features need improvement
  • "We were able to meet all of the requirements for functionality that were specified, and we did not experience challenges where we had to compromise on functionality."
  • "The security features for this solution need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented this product for a client. We have done quite a good number of workflows in connection with SharePoint.

What needs improvement?

The security features for this solution need to be improved. The only complaint from our client is about the annual cost of licensing and support.

Three years.

We have used a number of products, and we are very happy with Nintex.
Business Process Management (BPM)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Nintex, K2, Camunda and others in Business Process Management (BPM). Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The annual support costs are expensive.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good solution, and our client is very happy with it. We were able to meet all of the requirements for functionality that were specified, and we did not experience challenges where we had to compromise on functionality. Nintex will give you what you want to achieve. As long as you have the discipline to check at every stage and ensure that you are working towards what you want to achieve, you will be successful.  I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Technical Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reduces time spent on manual processes but did not scale with our usage
  • "It has helped us a lot, especially during the initial phase of a project where most of the things are done on paper."
  • "We are currently facing a lot of issues with Nintex, and we are trying to move away from this solution."

What is our primary use case?

In our company, we have different deals, each with a small number of workflow processes. They were primarily using email for approvals that followed. So, we replaced this with Nintex wherever possible. Through Nintex forms, we were able to customize these as well.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us a lot, especially during the initial phase of a project where most of the things are done on paper. From our perspective, you can save at least thirty percent in terms of time spent on manual processes, and documenting approvals and process flows.

We are currently facing a lot of issues with Nintex, and we are trying to move away from this solution. In fact, we have already reduced its usage.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I found most valuable is the ability to impersonate the users so that high-level access to certain resources can be provided. For example, impersonating the super admin allows you to perform actions that cannot be performed by regular users, and they can be badged with this kind of action set.

Another thing that I like is the deeper loops, and also deeper schedules so that you can schedule a particular workflow to a particular type.

What needs improvement?

The timer jobs that we have would never run on time.

If you have a complex workflow, Nintex would just error out of it, without giving a "why" and "where". Error reporting is something that definitely needs improvement because most of the time it would just give a correlation ID or something. If there is a workflow issue then we don't know where it failed.

The Nintext Pause operation causes problems and so do the parallel use cases, so these also need improvement.

In the next version of the software, I would like to see a dashboard of all reports, the workflows that are running and their statuses. That would be helpful.

Five to six years.

Initially, the product was very stable, but as our usage grew, the issues also increased. This may be a problem with our environment, but in any case, we are now at a point where we are trying to move away from Nintex.

I would rate the scalability a six out of ten.

We have approximately fifty thousand users, right from the VP to the workshop people.

I would rate their technical support a four out of ten. We never get the right solutions. Most of the time we get generic answers that are not to the point.

Nintex was chosen as the first option.

The initial setup was straightforward. During the trial, I had installed it myself. The installation was not a problem at any time.

The deployment and maintenance team is approximately four people. We have three environments, and four people handle the deployments and batch updates.

We have seen ROI.

We did evaluate other options, with one of them being K2. We had seen a few reviews and consulted with Microsoft as well. Based on everyone's answers we chose Nintex.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution for mid-scale deployment and mid-scale usage, but as the usage increases, the issues along with it also increase.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Business Process Management (BPM)
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Milford Hutsell - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Senior Application Analyst / Business intelligence Specialist at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
It seems very server intensive. Used to create workflows and forms to handle business processes.
  • "It creates workflows to handle business processes. It allows us to route approvals to users without human intervention."
  • "Nintex seems to be very server intensive. It is one of the reasons that we are moving to a different product on the SharePoint 2016 platform."

What is our primary use case?

We use Nintex for processing workflows and forms for SharePoint 2010.  Moslty for approval workflows and tracking requests.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the processes that we developed was to allow requests for new login accounts. These require managerial as well as HR approval, then it sends workflows after the approval to a lot of different individuals as tasks for them to handle their part of the new user request.

What is most valuable?

Being able to simply create workflows to handle business processes. It allows us to route approvals to users without human intervention.

it_user854781 - PeerSpot reviewer
SharePoint/Office 365 Architect, Team Lead at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Can automate many different business processes for several different departments
  • "Our solutions using Nintex has been most successful in automating HR processes because it allows you to easily and rapidly build solutions that conform to the unique business processes for each entity."
  • "This tool set makes it easy to integrate current processes and increase adoption rates and usage for the tool, as well as the process changes to update it on the fly."
  • "​Bring all features available from the on-premise product into the cloud version and the workflow error reporting.​"

What is our primary use case?

To automate paper processes or digital processes which are typically focused around capturing information from emails, approvals, and business documents.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to automate many different business processes for several different departments. Our solutions using Nintex has been most successful in automating HR processes because it allows you to easily and rapidly build solutions that conform to the unique business processes for each entity. Every department/company business model and structure is unique. This tool set makes it easy to integrate current processes and increase adoption rates and usage for the tool, as well as the process changes to update it on the fly.

What is most valuable?

• Lazy Approval (email-based approval)
      • External system connectivity actions
      • Delegation
      • Rapid solution development

it_user854100 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Associate at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Provides data accuracy with fewer failures
      • "It provides data accuracy with fewer failures."
      • "It saves time as tasks are automated."
      • "Only Nintex has the feature which allows attachments to an email.​"
      • "I like the feature of getting an email for a workflow error, then I do not have to go through every instance."
      • "Converting a document from PDF to MS Word, or vice versa, needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

To automate a manual process through Nintex Workflow in a SharePoint environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides data accuracy with fewer failures. It saves time as tasks are automated.

This tool is really helpful in reducing a lot of manual work. Its drag and drop components help to create a workflow faster than SharePoint Workflow Designer.

What is most valuable?

• Scheduling a site workflow is much easier and more convenient.
      • I like the feature of getting an email for a workflow error, then I do not have to go through every instance.
      • Conditional start of the workflow is the highlight of Nintex Workflow.
      • Only Nintex has the feature which allows attachments to an email.

What needs improvement?

Converting a document from PDF to MS Word, or vice versa, needs to be improved.

Our maintenance costs are reduced.

What other advice do I have?

For the past three years, I have been using Nintex with SharePoint 2010 as well as the 2013 environment.

it_user854106 - PeerSpot reviewer
      SharePoint Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
      Approvals done via mobile, using LazyApproval, are completed faster now

What is our primary use case?

Automating business processes, such as employee annual reviews, new employee onboarding, and advanced approval processes.

How has it helped my organization?

Approvals are completed faster now that they can be done via mobile, using LazyApproval.

What is most valuable?

• Allows us to provide desktop/laptop and mobile solutions to our users.
      • Using workflow for simple approvals and LazyApproval; the feature is easy to implement for mobile approval.

What needs improvement?

NWC forms could be better.

The ability to build workflows that are not dependent on SharePoint is very desirable. The forms feature just isn’t as functional as the forms for SharePoint.

Three to five years.
      it_user854103 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Sharepoint Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      LDAP query action is useful for finding out the status of a particular user

What is our primary use case?

We use it for SharePoint 2013.

How has it helped my organization?

There has been no noticeable improvement.

What is most valuable?

I find it useful to utilize LDAP query action to find out the status of a particular user.

What needs improvement?

User interface could use some improvement. Perhaps integration with Visual Studio or SharePoint Designer would be useful.

Chandrakant Patil - PeerSpot reviewer
      Associate Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Easy to use, helps automate business processes, notably reduce development efforts

What is our primary use case?

We use it for SharePoint 2013 and 2010, and SharePoint Online (Office 365).

How has it helped my organization?

Able to automate business processes and help reduce a significant amount of development efforts.

What is most valuable?

• Workflow (escalation, reminder, LazyApproval, actions, etc.)
      • Ease of use

What needs improvement?

Currently, copying workflow actions from one workflow to another is not possible. Also, the Office 365 solution is not as mature as on-premise.

Three to five years.
      Matt Mallory - PeerSpot reviewer
      SharePoint Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      MSP
      Browser-based Vizio-style designer means no need to install client tools to create workflows
      • "The Vizio-style designer that runs in the browser is, to me, by far the most valuable feature of the solution. It means that the customer doesn’t have to install any client tools to create powerful workflows."
      • "It leverages the out-of-the-box SharePoint back-end. This means that you don’t need to install or deploy additional infrastructure to support Nintex Workflow, unlike some of its competitors."
      • "While Nintex Workflow has pretty robust troubleshooting abilities, I think that improving the default logging and notifications would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

As a Solutions Architect my role is to help my clients implement tools and technology that can build and automate their businesses. While my clients and their environments very widely, Nintex delivers a product that can be used regardless of the industry, division, etc.

In most cases we help clients implement Nintex Workflow to automate business processes that can be tedious when done manually, such as information approvals, notifications, and integrations with other system/data.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest improvement to the organizations that I work with is that it allows the users to reduce, if not eliminate completely, the amount of human interaction, for both complex as well as simple business processes. This allows the users more time to focus on aspects of their work that can have more impact on the longer term strategies of the business.

What is most valuable?

Another feature that is very close in importance is that it leverages the out-of-the-box SharePoint back-end. This means that you don’t need to install or deploy additional infrastructure to support Nintex Workflow, unlike some of its competitors.

What needs improvement?

While Nintex Workflow has pretty robust troubleshooting abilities, I think that improving the default logging and notifications would be helpful. Many times we work with clients that have started a workflow, but find that it doesn’t work as they expect, and need assistance in troubleshooting and correcting any errors. That, and offering a licensing model that allows for multiple small workflows, would be a huge improvement to an already great platform.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I have used Nintex Workflow 2010 and Nintex Worflow 2013. I have not worked with a client that has the most recent version deployed.

Overall, I would rank Nintex Workflow at eight out of 10. It is a strong product and is definitely best in its class. It offers strong usability with the in-browser, Vizio-style designer, and can also deliver on some powerful workflow actions. There are times, when dealing with complex workflows, where understanding the application and its nuances is required.

Senior Solutions Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Reseller
      Streamlines automating SharePoint processes such as building sites, updating content
      • "Provides the ability to automate SharePoint processes (building sites, lists, updating content). You can also automate document and content processes, onboarding and offboarding, and general IT and HR solutions."
      • "With an extensive list of integrations with LOB data, your workflows can extend far beyond SharePoint, driving adoption of SharePoint."
      • "Built-in reporting on-prem is limited and clunky at best."
      • "Hawkeye is emerging as a reporting solution, but as a V1 product it’s not very useful yet."

What is our primary use case?

Process automation, electronic forms, and digital transformation in all versions of SharePoint, on-prem and in Office 365. As a consultant and developer, I have used Nintex everywhere, including the SharePoint-agnostic Nintex Workflow Cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

In some instances, workflows I’ve built for customers have transformed the business, saving significant time and costs compared to manual, legacy processes. In several instances the savings have been enough to provide the ROI for SharePoint and Nintex licensing, and project costs, within a business quarter.

A well-placed digital transformation solution can reduce turnaround for key processes, enabling businesses to compete with and beat out competition by streamlining their processes and enabling their workforce to get more done in less time.

What is most valuable?

As a workflow automation solution, being able to route, approve and manage content is one of the few areas in SharePoint where there is a true ROI. Provides the ability to automate SharePoint processes (building sites, lists, updating content).

With an extensive list of integrations with LOB data, your workflows can extend far beyond SharePoint, driving adoption of SharePoint and saving people, departments, and companies significant time in their daily processes. These are huge value drivers for SharePoint and Nintex.

What needs improvement?

• Built-in reporting on-prem is limited and clunky at best.
      • Integration can be fairly technical, and often business rules inhibit product capabilities or force a developer to consider alternate methods for integration.
      • Hawkeye is emerging as a reporting solution, but as a V1 product it’s not very useful yet.

More than five years.

Nintex is as stable as your SharePoint farm (on-prem), and in Office 365 workflows are robust. The application functions as expected and any issues with workflows or forms typically come down to design flaws rather than application issues. Nintex has been out and available since SharePoint 2007, so it’s a mature platform.

Scalability is tough. Workflows in SharePoint have the lowest priority of any task, and, in on-prem, workflows execute against the Web front-end servers. If your WFEs are under spec or at spec, workflow load will impact performance, and you may need to up resources or consider adding WFEs to enable large-scale deployments.

In Office 365, the licensing model will be your limiting factor (subscription for the number of published workflows) so scalability is a non-issue.

Nintex technical support is not great. On a scale of one to 10 they are a three. They are slow to respond, and you often have to wait for or ask for escalation. It’s important to note that they only support "break/fix" – they will not assist with design or development questions. However, the online community and documentation in most cases more than makes up for support.

SharePoint Designer and Visual Studio are alternatives, as are K2 and a few newer players in the visual workflow and forms design arena. These tools tend to be far more technical to use, harder to support, and also have limitations not inherent to Nintex. While Nintex is an expensive solution, the value can be returned very quickly, with the quick development and go-live cycle, as compared to traditional or competitor tools. This is a key value for Nintex.

Setup is simple and straightforward. There are a few prerequisites for installation, but the Nintex documentation for on-premise installation is solid and, if followed, the installation will run very quickly. It does involve some downtime so planning is required (several IIS resets during installation). However, it’s one of the easier things to install in SharePoint.

In Office 365, installation is as simple as installing it from the store and adding the app to the site collection, so could not be much easier.

Nintex products are expensive, but valuable. Licensing in on-premise was historically based on a perpetual model, where you’d license per Web front-end. However, they are switching exclusively to a consumption (subscription) model, where you purchase the number of workflows you think you’ll use in your environment, and can scale up from there.

I suggest talking to a Nintex partner for licensing advice and guidance for your specific needs.

We have tested and evaluated numerous competitors, the principal of which is K2. However, K2 is equally expensive when you get down to specifics, and requires a dedicated infrastructure, whereas Nintex resides on existing SharePoint Servers. K2 is also far more technical in nature. It does have some benefits over Nintex (principally high-volume workflows – think point-of-sale or hundreds or thousands of transactions per hour), so careful evaluation of your needs is important in selecting the right tool.

I have also developed workflows using SharePoint Designer and Visual Studio, but again they are far more complex and longer to develop, as compared to Nintex.

What other advice do I have?

Get a trial, talk to a technical sales rep, and just go in and try to build something. It’s pretty amazing how easy it is to use, and trials are good for 30 days. Talk to a premier partner if you can.

Download our free Business Process Management (BPM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Nintex, K2, Camunda, and more!
      Updated: June 2022