IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

NetIQ Identity Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetIQ Identity Manager is #9 ranked solution in top User Provisioning Software and #11 ranked solution in top Identity Management (IM) tools. PeerSpot users give NetIQ Identity Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. NetIQ Identity Manager is most commonly compared to SailPoint IdentityIQ: NetIQ Identity Manager vs SailPoint IdentityIQ. NetIQ Identity Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.

Download the User Provisioning Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is NetIQ Identity Manager?
NetIQ Identity Manager delivers a complete, yet affordable solution to control who has access to what across your enterprise both inside the firewall and into the cloud. It enables you to provide secure and convenient access to critical information for business users, while meeting compliance demands.

NetIQ Identity Manager was previously known as Novell Identity Manager.

NetIQ Identity Manager Customers
Sheetz
NetIQ Identity Manager Video

NetIQ Identity Manager Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetIQ Identity Manager pricing:
  • "It would easily help them in getting more market and more customers if more consultants knew about their software. If they could keep it free for schools for teaching purposes, it would be good. I had to pay myself to get it and use it for training. Their competitors are giving it for free. I had to pay for it myself. They are losing market to their competitors."
  • "The price of the solution is a bit high and could be reduced."
  • NetIQ Identity Manager Reviews

CyberSecurity Teacher/Instructor at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    A stable and comprehensive solution with valuable eDirectory feature
    • "I like the eDirectory feature."
    • "It needs some modern features. They should improve and modernize their management interface. It has been created over years and by different persons. You can see different applications, different management consoles for different things. There should be an integrated interface."

What is our primary use case?

I am an independent training provider. I'm teaching this application. It was originally made by a company named Novell. I have used the Novell XML, which is the origin of Identity Manager. I think they did that in '96 or '97. I was a certified Novell trainer, and I was training those applications myself. I started the first testing center for Novell products in Europe in '92. I have a long history because I started with those basic products in '83 and did 10 years of training for those products. I've also been using them for my employers or for the customers as a consultant. Now, I'm doing training again but in schools. I am teaching adults so that they can change their careers or start a career in cybersecurity or IAM. I always try to use the latest versions. In terms of deployment, you can call it cloud, but it's a VMware environment.

What is most valuable?

I like the eDirectory feature.

What needs improvement?

It needs some modern features. They should improve and modernize their management interface. It has been created over years and by different persons. You can see different applications, different management consoles for different things. There should be an integrated interface. It should also be easier to install. There should be an easier testing system for applications for students or consultants to try it themselves. The system to download or get your applications for testing is not so easy. They can clarify how to install it for different Linux versions as well as how to use it for local private cloud use and public cloud use. It seems that you have to install many incarnations of basically the same product. They should make it free for schools for teaching purposes. Their competitors are giving it for free. By not doing that, they are losing market to competitors.

I've been using it since '83. I've been working for companies that have been using this application. I've been in consultancy implementing this application to customers, and now, I am teaching this application.
    User Provisioning Software
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, SailPoint, Oracle and others in User Provisioning Software. Updated: June 2022.
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable, but its implementation is hard. After that, it runs.

I haven't dealt with it, but I would like to have a channel.

Its implementation is hard. It should also be easier to install. There should be an easier testing system for applications for students or consultants to try it themselves. If we are doing just testing, it's complicated because they are basically supporting SuSE and Red Hat. If we are doing testing, we don't want to pay for the server systems. There is no documentation and information about how to install it with some other Linux versions. There is no documentation for implementing it on other systems. The deployment duration depends on what we are doing. We are not doing production systems. We are doing production-like teaching environments. We are basically running systems that can be production but the use is just for training purposes. Later this year, we are doing production environments. We are doing the whole process of how to create implementation, how to implement it with some applications for IDM, some applications with access management and SSO, and so on.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to read the manuals carefully and do the testing systems first. That's because it has all the bells and whistles when it comes to features, but they are not so easy. It is a full package for everything, but it is not so easy to implement. You should basically clarify things because there are different kinds of doors for different kinds of things. I would rate this solution an eight of 10.

Private Cloud
    Jack Kwok - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Technology Manager at Hong Kong Baptist University
    Reliable, useful synchronization, and straightforward implementation

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of NetIQ Identity Manager are the synchronization of different directories, such as Active Directory. We have many Active Directory systems, not only one.

What needs improvement?

We have another system that is using the SAML system, and we also integrate with Active Directory only. If NetIQ Identity Manager can integrate directly, we would not need to use the Active Directory directory.

I have been using NetIQ Identity Manager for approximately 10 years.

The stability of the NetIQ Identity Manager is good.

NetIQ Identity Manager can improve the bulk account uploads, it's very slow. You need to do it one by one. We work in the education sector, and every year we have approximately 20,000 accounts to create in a very short period, the NetIQ Identity Manager has a problem with this, we need to use a batch job. For example, we cut it into 10 batches and execute them one by one, so that it will not interrupt our production environment.

Even though we have upgraded the hardware, the software used for NetIQ Identity Manager could improve. The scalability can be better.

I have not used the support from NetIQ Identity Manager.

I have not used other solutions.

The initial setup of NetIQ Identity Manager is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I rate NetIQ Identity Manager an eight out of ten.

User Provisioning Software
    June 2022
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Horst Fuhrmann - PeerSpot reviewer
    Owner & CFO at SKyPRO AG
    Reseller
    Integrates well, scalable, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use NetIQ Identity Manager for identity management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution has been the ability for us to integrate a lot of external systems, and the automatic transfer of a lot of identity information. Additionally, the customization is very good.

What needs improvement?

NetIQ Identity Manager could improve by updating the user portal, it is out of date.

I have been using NetIQ Identity Manager for approximately 15 years.

The solution is stable.

NetIQ Identity Manager is very scalable and complete. It covers all the areas we need it to.

The technical support has been good.

For us the installation was easy. However, we are an IT company that understands what we are doing. I would consider the solution not to be easy to install if someone does not have the experience.

The price of the solution is a bit high and could be reduced.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate NetIQ Identity Manager a nine out of ten.

Download our free User Provisioning Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, SailPoint, Oracle, and more!
    Updated: June 2022