IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

MikroTik Cloud Router Switch OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MikroTik Cloud Router Switch is #4 ranked solution in top Routers and #14 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give MikroTik Cloud Router Switch an average rating of 8 out of 10. MikroTik Cloud Router Switch is most commonly compared to MikroTik Routers and Switches: MikroTik Cloud Router Switch vs MikroTik Routers and Switches. MikroTik Cloud Router Switch is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 46% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 42% of all views.
MikroTik Cloud Router Switch Buyer's Guide

Download the MikroTik Cloud Router Switch Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is MikroTik Cloud Router Switch?
MikroTik Cloud Router Switch is a new Smart Switch series. It combines the best features of a fully functional router and a Layer 3 switch, is powered by the familiar RouterOS. All the specific Switch configuration options are available in a special Switch menu, also ports can be removed from the switch configuration, and used for routing purposes.

MikroTik Cloud Router Switch was previously known as MikroTik CRS Series.

MikroTik Cloud Router Switch Video

Archived MikroTik Cloud Router Switch Reviews (more than two years old)

Mahmood Abdollahi - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Engineer at Dejpaad
Good firewall capability, and the mangle feature is useful
  • "There are a lot of features to control permitting or stopping packets in the network."
  • "Antispam and antivirus features should be included in the future."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the mangle. The firewall is very good. There are a lot of features to control permitting or stopping packets in the network.

What needs improvement?

Support for intrusion detection and prevention (IDS/IPS) is needed. Antispam and antivirus features should be included in the future.

I have been working with this product for about 10 years.
MikroTik Cloud Router Switch
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about MikroTik Cloud Router Switch. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a stable solution.

This product is not recommended for enterprise-level projects. We have approximately 50 users in our company who use it.

The technical support is okay.

I have also worked with similar solutions from Cisco, Fortinet, and Juniper.

The price is very good.

What other advice do I have?

I think that Mikrotik is the best solution for SOHO and small businesses because the price is very good and it includes a lot of features. For larger companies, I would recommend a different product, perhaps by Cisco. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Network Operations Specialists at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
A flexible and cost-effecting product with powerful scripting capability
  • "The wiki page that describes the scripting and other features is very good."
  • "Improvements are needed with respect to some of the security, especially for VPN links between vendors other than Cisco."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as part of our network solution, but we also have customers in Cameroon that we have implemented it for. We design their systems at a low cost, implement them, and then provide training.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the flexibility within the advanced configuration.

IDS and IPS are very good.

The wiki page that describes the scripting and other features is very good. It is quite impressive for new users who want to learn about MikroTik.

What needs improvement?

Improvements are needed with respect to some of the security, especially for VPN links between vendors other than Cisco. For example, what works between MikroTik and Cisco does not work as well between MikroTik and Fortinet. I have seen some bugs.

The certification process should be improved.

Have localized or regional pricing would be an improvement.

I would like to see GPS tools embedded into the devices.

I have been working with this product for seven years.

This is a stable product.

I do not generally contact technical support. I have had to do some reading on issues that I was having, and I have always been able to find a solution. I have never had the kind of problem that necessitated calling support.

I have worked with solutions from Cisco, Juniper, and Fortinet. The type of project dictates which product works best in the environment.

I find the initial setup to be easy. It may be more complex for people just getting started within MikroTik, although it should be straightforward even for junior engineers.

MikroTik is really cheap compared to the competitors. They are the cheapest ones in Cameroon except for Ubiquiti at the router level.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has improved a great deal over time and in many domains. They have hired experts from around the world, from vendors such as Cisco, to help improve the product. Some examples are scripting has improved, along with advanced routing techniques, and wireless device support. However, the biggest improvements are in cloud routers.

Normally, every two months at the maximum, new updates and firmware is released for the devices. It is really amazing. It is like the developers do not sleep at all. I am consistently impressed with how their technology is advancing.

Overall, this is a product that works well.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

MikroTik Cloud Router Switch
June 2022
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Reviewer1124ty6 - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at MULTILINK COMPUTERS PVT LTD
Has better throughput than its competitors and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We bought it for our office to distribute internet. I am also a service provider.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it has better throughput than its competitors. I also like the "routerless" feature.

What needs improvement?

There has to be more development in the OS. It's complex for this switch as compared to others like Cisco. For NetGear and Cisco, it's easy to adapt the VLAN concept but it should be simplified for MikroTik.

I would like to see more integration abilities with NetGear.

I have been using this solution for more than five years.

It is stable.

I haven't contacted technical support.

It was complex to set up. The concept is simple but it was complex to set up.

I have a technical background so I was able to do the implementation. It took a few days to get done.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Consultant at a tech consulting company
It provides familiar RouterOS support, port isolation, and flexible VLAN handling. It lacks proper LACP support.

What is most valuable?

Familiar RouterOS support, port isolation, flexible VLAN handling (tagging, untagging, rewriting, etc.).

How has it helped my organization?

Port isolation is great for shared networks where you want to keep it safe by not lettings people fake DHCP server.

What needs improvement?

Proper LACP support, more software support for hardware capabilities, true wirespeed Layer 3 routing.

2 years.

Doing this the old RouterOS way is straightforward, but it is not wirespeed then! So you need to learn some things in order to get the benefits, but it is worth it.

Missing 9k jumbo frames and 10GigE support on CRS125. This is present on CRS2xx series, but CPU is faster on CRS125.

Mikrotik RB250 and RB260 switches - only 5 ports and interfaces is usable, but it is not RouterOS!

Initial setup was easy, but it did not reveal all the good things it can offer.

By myself.

SMC switches.

What other advice do I have?

MIkrotik CRS switches are basically metro switches so overkill for the less complex installations.

Download our free MikroTik Cloud Router Switch Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022