Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Microsoft Azure DevOps OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure DevOps is #1 ranked solution in top Release Automation tools, #1 ranked solution in top Enterprise Agile Planning Tools, and #2 ranked solution in top Application Lifecycle Management Suites. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Azure DevOps an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Microsoft Azure DevOps is most commonly compared to Jira: Microsoft Azure DevOps vs Jira. Microsoft Azure DevOps is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
Microsoft Azure DevOps Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure DevOps Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Microsoft Azure DevOps?

Microsoft Azure DevOps is a cloud service that enables developers to collaborate on code development projects and create and deploy applications quicker than ever before. The service helps unite developers, project managers, and software development experts through a collaborative experience while using the application. For the users' convenience, Azure DevOps offers the user cloud services through Azure DevOps Services or an on-premises service using Azure DevOps Server. In addition, it supports integration with additional services and adding extensions, including the ability for the user to create their own custom extensions.

Azure DevOps provides a variety of unified features that can be accessed through their web browser or IDE client, such as:

• Azure Pipelines - Develop and deploy services to support ongoing application integration and delivery. Azure pipelines, which work with almost every project type and most languages, will automatically test code projects in order to make them available to others.

• Azure Artifacts - Share packages and integrate package sharing between teams. Packages include NuGet, npm, and Maven, in addition to other private and public sources. Developers can now share and consume packages with other developers from different public registries.

• Azure Repos - Offers source control of your code through Team Foundation Version Control (TFVC) or Git repositories. Developers can now keep track of any changes that are made in their code over the course of their project.

• Azure Test Plans - Offers continuous and manual/exploratory app testing through several tools. Test Suites, or a collection of Test Cases, are grouped together in a container called a Test Plan.

• Azure Boards - Provides a suite of Agile tools to track work, support planning, code defects, and general issues while using Kanban and Scrum software. Teams are in need of tools that are flexible and will help them grow. Azure Boards is a service that helps developers manage their software projects.

Benefits of Microsoft Azure DevOps

Microsoft Azure DevOps offers many benefits, including:

• A quick setup and easy deployment
  • An elastic scale
  • Exceptional security
  • No-maintenance operations
  • Effortless collaboration through domains
  • The ability to create and deploy products faster than traditional software

Reviews from Real Users

Microsoft Azure DevOps stands out among its competitors for a variety of reasons. Two major ones are its ability to forecast how long each task will take and the ability for users to follow the entire development process.

PeerSpot viewers note the effectiveness of this solution. An executive chief operating officer for a cloud provider notes, “We can forecast tasks and the number of hours a task will take and can compare it with how long a task actually takes.”

Carlos H., a product and system director at SPCM, writes, “I think the most usable thing is that you can follow the whole progress of the development process. This makes it very useful for us.”

Microsoft Azure DevOps was previously known as Azure DevOps, VSTS, Visual Studio Team Services, MS Azure DevOps.

Microsoft Azure DevOps Customers

Alaska Airlines, Iberia Airlines, Columbia, Skype

Microsoft Azure DevOps Video

Archived Microsoft Azure DevOps Reviews (more than two years old)

MarkSpence - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at Shell Exploration & Production Co.
Good organization and structure, and the scheduling works well
  • "What I like the most is the DevOps Boards. It's easy to create a hierarchical project structure, assign tasks to people, and to track their tasks."
  • "I would like to automate notifications on sprint planning. When we are getting to the end of sprint planning, we would be automatically notified."

What is most valuable?

What I like the most is the DevOps Boards. It's easy to create a hierarchical project structure, assign tasks to people, and then track their tasks.

I also like the scheduling functionality.

What needs improvement?

Also, it would be nice to have a percentage complete. For example, if a task is in progress, how much of it is complete, how much is left outstanding. I'd like that to be something that the assignee fills in and that automatically reports back to me.

I have been using Microsoft Azure DevOps for six months.

It's a stable solution.

Microsoft Azure DevOps
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure DevOps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Microsoft Azure DevOps is scalable.

I have not contacted technical support.

Previously, I used Microsoft Project. We chose to use Microsoft Azure DevOps because I needed something that my stakeholders could access.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

The time it takes to deploy is dependent on the type of deployment. Deployment of software, or deployment of the project into the software?

It took me a week to deploy the project into the software. It's approximately 800 PBIs.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing Microsoft Azure DevOps, I would suggest doing your research on how to configure it. It is a product that I recommend

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Senior Business Analyst │ Microsoft Power BI & Power BI App Development at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Free for up to five users, secure, easy to use, and integrates well with other Microsoft products
  • "What I like the most about this product is that it's free and it's secure."
  • "The user interface could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Azure DevOps for tracking the requirements and tracking the issues.

Any issues that we have, are tracked and logged.

Also, we check the developer's workload.

It can be used for different purposes as well. For example, it can be used by software companies and different software teams for collaboration.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most about this product is that it's free and it's secure.

You can easily assign it.

It integrates well with other Microsoft products, such as Outlook.

If we experience a login issue, it sends a notification to one of my developers and you also receive an email notification, ensuring that there is no way that a developer can miss working on it or miss seeing it in emails.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

It's a stable solution, we have not experienced any issues.

We have not had to scale it, as we have a very small team with only four members who use this solution on a daily basis.

We have not had to contact technical support. There hasn't been a need, it's very simple.

If you have any issues, you are sent a link through email, you click on the link to address your specific requirements and close it.

You will receive an email notification to confirm that the case is closed.

Previously, we were using Microsoft Excel. We decided to use Microsoft Azure DevOps because it allowed us to assign tasks and get a notification.

The initial setup is simple.

It was easy to deploy and within a day, I was able to learn it and work on it.

I did not use a vendor or an integrator, I did it on my own. It's a Microsoft product and we all use Microsoft.

Microsoft Azure DevOps is free for up to five users and allows you to track a maximum of three projects.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It's a good tool and it's free.

Instead of spending money on premium tools, you can at least start with Microsoft Azure DevOps and then upgrade it slowly.

You can learn how to use this tool in less than a day.

If you have Microsoft 365, this comes with it for free.

It doesn't require any maintenance.

I would rate Microsoft Azure DevOps an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure DevOps
September 2022
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Consulting services manager at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Good user interface, constantly updated, and the technical support is prompt
  • "It is a well-integrated product in terms of the development lifecycle."
  • "It would be very useful if it had better integration with Microsoft Word because we would like to be able to define the priority requirement document and add it to different stages of the backlog."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Azure DevOps for the early phase of software development projects. We don't use it for building the software. Rather, it is for development support. It handles management of the features, the composition, the definition of requirements, and checking our requirements against the use cases.

What is most valuable?

Since it is a cloud product, it is constantly updated and not the responsibility of the user.

The quality of the user interface is very good.

It is a well-integrated product in terms of the development lifecycle. There are different functional areas from the requirements to finish including test management, product development, and deployment. I do not personally make use of all of these components together, but I understand from my colleagues that make wider use of it that everything integrates nicely.

What needs improvement?

It lacks integration with Office 365. It would be very useful if it had better integration with Microsoft Word because we would like to be able to define the priority requirement document and add it to different stages of the backlog. Currently, it is difficult to do this. There are some third-party products for this but they are either quite expensive or do not function properly.

I would like to see the requirement management links between work items improved.

An API to develop custom functions would be useful because we work with a large integrator that uses TFS, the on-premises version, and have seen what they do. One of the advantages of it is that you can develop using the XML approach to customization. Essentially, the customizability is more in-depth. This could be done, even without going to the code level, if they provided an API or and SDK. Although the interface currently used for customization is good, we sometimes find it limited. It would be more complex to use but also allow for greater potential.

I have been using Azure DevOps services for two years.

This is a stable service.

I would say that it is scalable. On a recent project, we had a lot of users and did not experience any issues in terms of performance.

I have only been in contact with technical support on one occasion and they gave me a good and prompt answer. From my experience, I can say that I am satisfied.

I do not personally have experience with other products, although the company has some experience with Jira.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product but I would like to see better Office integration and API support.

KulbhushanMayer - PeerSpot reviewer
Co Founder and Technical Architect at Think NYX Technologies LLP
Reseller
Easy to onboard and use, with complete integration between pipelines and testing
  • "The most valuable feature is the complete integration between test cases, pipelines, and issue management."
  • "The test management section needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and this is one of the tools that I use to help develop solutions for my clients.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The test management section needs to be improved. It is easy to use but they can make changes such that it is more comfortable for the users.

I would like to see a full-quality dashboard added. For example, if I am not using their pipeline then I would still like to see the dashboard available.

I have been using Azure DevOps for more than two years.

I have found it stable, so far.

This product is very scalable. I am currently using it for about 10 users and if I want to add more then I have to pay more money.

I have not yet been in a position where I needed technical support for this product. In the past, I have dealt with Microsoft's technical support for other products and I have found them to be fine.

I have also worked with similar tools such as GitLab, GitHub, Bitbucket, and then Jira.

Because I am a consultant, I work with multiple tools and the choice is that of my client.

I find that the pricing is good, and it is competitive with the other vendors in the market.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering Azure DevOps is that it is quite easy to onboard. It is a good product if you really want to work in a close-knit environment.

Subdirector General at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Helps us to maintain order and keep track of the status for each of our projects

What is our primary use case?

We are a software development company and we use DevOps practices to manage our application development lifecycle. This is our primary use case. We don't have a production environment for the applications that we develop. Rather, they are given to our customers when they are production-ready.

The management includes service requests, incidents, issues, etc.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it brings order to our projects, and we know the status of each one at every moment.

What needs improvement?

This product would be improved if the helpdesk were included.

We are a small company and have not had any problems with scalability.

Technical support is good and we haven't had any problems with them.

We don't have any complaints about the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hamid Nia - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Architect at EML
Easy to implement, good CD pipeline, and very stable
  • "The initial setup is quick and easy."
  • "The functions have too much dependency right now, so it makes it really, really hard to upgrade and make a change in the code."

What is our primary use case?

We normally use DevOps. On the application, everything has gone DevOps, however, we don't use the functions. All applications developed there have gone under Azure or AWS. We normally develop them to be able to not be dependent on anything, so if we want to deploy them in another environment, we can deploy them easily. If we want to use it in Azure, we use it in Azure. If we want AWS, we use it in AWS.

What is most valuable?

I like the CD pipeline. It's the most valuable feature for us. It's so easy to integrate into the CD/CI environment. I mostly love that one.

The initial setup is quick and easy.

What needs improvement?

If you want to use the DPR it's a bit harder due to the fact that it's only 30 days.

We've been using the solution for a year and a half at this point.

The stability of the product has been good so far. I can't say that I've witnessed glitches. There aren't bugs. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable, as far as I can tell.

We don't have any issues with the scalability of the solution. If we need to, we're able to scale.

We've never contacted Microsoft for technical assistance.

We are Microsoft partners. We have several Azure experts on our development team, and we have a tech that came from the US and did the training for us. We have a very strong understanding of the product and therefore we don't need help with troubleshooting or anything of that nature.

We also currently use AWS, however, I prefer Microsoft's solution as it's a bit easier to use overall.

We did not find the initial setup to be complex. The implementation is straight forward.

Deployment is quick and typically only takes a few days or so.

We have ten people that handle maintenance. They are in different parts of the world. We have two in Australia, for example, and two in the USA.

The cost can get pretty high if you aren't paying attention to what you are doing.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Microsoft.

I'd highly recommend Microsoft, and I recommend it more than any other solution. Everything is very simple and straightforward. The only worry for some organizations may be the cost. You need to be really, really careful.

I'd rate the solution overall nine out of ten. I think it's really, really great. If the functions were a bit better, I'd give it a full ten out of ten.

DemisewAbera - PeerSpot reviewer
DevOps Engineer at Simprints
The least expensive of the competitors in this class continues to develop and benefits Microsoft users
  • "Azure is an advantage when working with other Microsoft solutions."
  • "Azure has not yet advanced to the performance level of the other major competitors and is missing integration with important technologies."

What is our primary use case?

I took a part-time job doing a mentorship to guide the students on how to use cloud computing on the AW and Azure cloud resources. For that project, we go through each and every service on cloud computing that is part of the service platform. The new technology is called server-less technology. The goal of the mentorships is showing students how to fundamentally use these resources and explain the advantages and disadvantages of cloud computing over on-premises solutions.

What is most valuable?

Currently, I do not know if there is really a single feature that stands out as the most valuable. If you consider our use case and that we were using Azure essentially as a teaching tool, it was the tool itself that was valuable.

I do not have in-depth experience with Microsoft Azure, but it is like other services such as AWS. Currently, the number of services are increasing on Azure actually at a faster rate than with Google Cloud. If you are working with Microsoft products like Office 365 the best cloud solution would be on Azure services. The cost is also better than AWS.

Microsoft has also built an association with other cloud products for helping to migrate your licenses to the cloud. This works out well if you have a substantial investment in licensing for Microsoft products on-premises. Being able to bring that license to the cloud is a good transitionary solution.

What needs improvement?

I have been running reports on the availability of the major competitors in the cloud services to use as a demonstration in webinars and comparison of services. The most available solution on the cloud in user availability by minutes is Google Cloud. Google is the number one solution and the second one is AWS. The third one is Microsoft Azure.

Compared to the availability of the other two major cloud solutions, Microsoft Azure needs to make an improvement in their availability. This report suggests that the Azure team needs to do some major changes to match the availability of the other services and make the product more competitive.

In DevOps (software development and IT operations), server-less architecture and QNX platform integrations are things that need to be added to Azure. Currently, I am not sure that this is the case. But previously, I have had experience trying to use Azure with service and integration with the QNX platform and it is not as good as Google Cloud. Azure has improved its current set of data services on the cloud. But Google Cloud is doing more right now to bring those technologies and make them available to developers or enterprise solutions. So, QNX integration needs polishing.

We have been using the product for only the last two months.

I have not experienced any issues with stability.

In general, I have seen no real issues with scalability. It is a cloud platform and scalability should usually be available on demand.

I used Google Cloud on one of my previous projects but currently, we are using the on-premise solution. So we are hosting everything locally on-premises. We do not have any current cloud provider for the business as a whole. We are using AWS for security and backup for the production environment but mostly we rely on the on-premise solutions at the moment.

We use the S3 compute instance of AWS only. We do not use any other AWS services. We just use VM's that we create on the S3 instance.

Setup is not so much of an issue as the product is on the cloud. The services are essentially on demand for the product. What you do with the services is what may take more time and consideration.

I am not comfortable sharing the details of cost because there may be different pricing schemes, but compared to AWS, Azure is less expensive. So in the pricing in this class of services, Azure is good. It can work well for small to medium enterprises. But this solution is may not be good for those who are not enterprise-level users. Small cloud computing providers have better pricing than the bigger cloud computing providers like AWS and Microsoft Azure and may be a better choice for non-enterprise use.

Still, Azure is priced better than AWS. Price may not be the only thing to consider.

I have had the opportunity to use a variety of different solutions and it has not really come down to a situation where one is replaced with another. There is an ongoing evaluation of the products as newer technology including the most well known, like AW, Google, and Azure. AWS is the most expensive cloud hosting. In my estimation, that is the best product right now, but things are changing quickly.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Microsoft Azure DevOps as an eight-out-of-ten. It is not quite up to the level of other offerings in some ways but it is improving all the time.

Software Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
User-friendly, has a powerful test manager, and the reporting capability is good
  • "Fields can be customized and the reporting is good."
  • "Proper Gantt charting should be a feature that is included because as it is now, we have to create it ourselves."

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure DevOps for managing our workflow, as well as the CI/CD.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the CD/CD for all of our deployment lifecycles.

What is most valuable?

The CI/CD portal is very user-friendly.

The platform is very easy to manage. It is easy to manage repositories between the business users and corporate users.

Fields can be customized and the reporting is good. The APIs that are exposed can generate management reports.

The most valuable feature is the test manager.

Integration is easy to do. The single-sign-on facility is there in every aspect including Azure DevOps, Active Directory, our portals, and all of our development sites.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have an indicator of the percentage of occupancy. Suppose a person is working on two different domains, and we have 70% on one project with 30% on the other, it should be able to report that. As it is now, we have to manually enter that data. If this functionality were provided then it would make it easier for users.

We have been using Azure DevOps for the past two to two and a half years.

We have had issues, usually related to the APIs, but the support team has always helped us to resolve them.

The Microsoft support team is prompt to respond and very good.

The price is cheaper than Jira and some of the other competing tools.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and if the Gantt chart and occupancy reporting features are added then it will be the most powerful one in this space.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten

Senior Project Manager at a marketing services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good traceability and dependency-tracking features
  • "There are a lot of helpful features available for tracking dependencies."
  • "Improving the metrics that are readily available on the dashboard would be very helpful."

What is most valuable?

The key thing I find benefits me is the ability to track right from the feature and determine what has happened. I have a direct link to the test and the metrics that are available.

There are a lot of helpful features available for tracking dependencies.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard could be improved. Although there is flexibility in configuring it, there are some metrics that we have to configure ourselves. Improving the metrics that are readily available on the dashboard would be very helpful.

I would like to see better integration with third-party solutions, where if they are part of the DevOps pipeline then the reporting could be made available on the dashboard.

Having some form of check modeling integrated into Azure would be useful.

I have been using Azure DevOps for the past four years.

We have had no issues in terms of stability.

The offerings in terms of scalability are good.

We have not had to depend much on Microsoft support for DevOps and project management. However, I can say that the general support that we get for Azure is good.

I have some experience with Jira from Atlassian, although I have worked with Microsoft Team Foundation Server from the beginning.

The initial setup was straightforward. While we were migrating, we had training from Microsoft, which was helpful.

I haven't really looked into other options.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and one that I recommend. The features it has have helped us, especially with tracking dependencies.

Director - Quality Management at a performing arts with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good user interface, easy to implement, and offers good reporting
  • "The solution is easy to implement and easy to use."
  • "One thing I would note is that it's hard to know what is included or not in the product. Especially when you begin to try and compare it to other solutions. When you go to a site like VersionOne, they tell you Azure DevOps doesn't have this or that, and when you go to Microsoft, it says VersionOne doesn't have this or that. They could do a better job of laying out exactly what is on offer so customers know going in exactly what they'll get."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the complete tool orchestration within the DevOps. It's great for operations, monitoring, and building tests for deployment.

I like the user interface. It's excellent.

The solution is easy to implement and easy to use.

We've been using their documentation seamlessly. It's been great.

I love it because we have Microsoft Exchange Office 365 and we have all those reports already in place (especially if you're using quality reporting). We get that as an add-on. It comes within the package, so everything is very compatible. The analytics on offer are also very good.

The solution offers great plugins and has great integration capabilities. It runs on configuration management tools like Ansible and Puppet. The monitoring they have for plugins is also excellent.

Whatever you might need, they seem to have it.

What needs improvement?

We're quite happy with the tool right now. We're not really using it too much. We are also just starting on it, to be honest, so what we've needed so far we've found that it offers. There isn't anything missing that I can see.

I've been using the solution for three years.

In terms of stability, I would say we have no problem with the solution. We have been using the tool for all of our projects and we have no problems with that aspect. If users use virtual missions when they run the testing, everything is even easier.

Scalability, at least for the time that we have been using the solution, hasn't been a problem. We are able to adjust and expand any time of VMs. Any organization that needs to grow its usage should be able to do so easily.

Currently, 40 people are using the solution for one of the projects we're running. We have whoever you could think of in an agile team on it. Everybody from the business analyst to the product managers, to the testers, to the developers, and even to business end-users are on it.

I'm not sure if our organization plans on expanding its usage in the future.

I've never personally had to contact technical support, and I haven't heard from anyone in my team about any negative results. I'm not sure if I'd be able to evaluate their services at this time.

We previously used Jira, however, we have not switched over completely to Azure DevOps. We now use both.

With manuals, the implementation is much easier. It is quite straightforward.

We are not doing any kind of maintenance on the solution. We don't need to because it's so fast. We are not paying for everything in terms of infrastructure development.

I'm not sure about the pricing. It's not an aspect of the solution I currently deal with.

We're currently looking at VersionOne and CollabNet just to see how they compare to what we currently use, which includes Microsoft Azure DevOps.

I'm new to this company. I've been here only for a year. The previous company, I was using Agile Central, which I really liked because of the user interface. Central was previously called Rally. However, after coming to this company, as they have Jira, I've been using Jira and also, for this one project, Microsoft Azure DevOps. I need to begin considering what I should do at an enterprise level. I'm looking at a variety of options including Microsoft DevOps, VersionOne, CollabNet, and a few more.

Since we have Microsoft Azure DevOps already in place, I would like something that's similar and competitive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using at this time.

I personally just love using Microsoft DevOps. I would recommend the solution to anyone. Organizations considering the solution should just go for it and they should get the complete orchestration.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I don't think that I have explored everything extensively yet. Any product definitely will have its own gaps, and since I'm not in a position to understand it 100%, I want to play it safe on ranking it at eight.

Microsoft Azure
Lead Technical Consultant (Information Technology) at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable, all-in-one solution that is easy to deploy, but some areas need to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are a manufacturing company and I am a technical consultant who is responsible for managing the software applications that are outsourced for development. In this role, I have gained experience using Microsoft Azure DevOps.

I have also used it as a software developer in companies that I previously worked for.

What is most valuable?

I like the entire tool because it is a one-stop-solution for DevOps.

The Scrum functionality in project management is helpful, as are the code repositories. It has support for pipelines.

What needs improvement?

There are certain areas in Azure DevOps that are better in other products. These are things that I need to more fully explore.

I have been working with Azure DevOps for approximately four years.

The stability is good and I haven't had any issues with it.

At this time, the majority of our software application development is outsourced so there is not much in terms of DevOps. However, in the future, I am planning to implement DevOps here. Once that happens, I expect that our usage of this solution will increase.

I have not needed to contact Microsoft's technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward and easy. It takes very little time to deploy.

I deployed this solution without any help.

What other advice do I have?

Personally, I like this product and it is one that I recommend. That said, based on my experience, I cannot say that it is perfect.

IrvingGreen - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Director at Cloud Technovation
Good for the staging environment through to the production environment
  • "Azure enables us to create a staging environment through to a production environment in an easier way and then get the code and run that."

What is our primary use case?

Building fast and reliable, amplified feedback loops in all stages of our software delivery and operations lifecycle. The business strives for built-in quality to ensure that everyone have correctly done their job.

I trust my team with peer reviews of our designs, code, test and infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm familiar with Azure DevOps in the sense that my group directive has based the administration, architecture, and development on Azure. So whichever hat that I need to wear at the time that's the one I can wear.

What is most valuable?

I would say that Pipelines is Azure's most valuable feature. Also generally, Azure enables us to create a staging environment through to a production environment in an easier way and then get the code and run that. It also has decent pull requests and things like that.

What needs improvement?

Azure DevOps is a very cross-platform product. One of the issues that I have currently with the company is that they are using two different parts of technology. They were using JIRA for their sprint work and they were also using Confluence, as well as other Enterprise software. I advised them that all their sprint planning, backlog work, and everything else, can be done out of Azure DevOps from one central place. I know the Microsoft team will always look at improvements because I know that they are constantly looking at improvements to products while listening to their customers and looking at a global scale. I'm keeping my ear to the ground, as I always do.

The product keeps evolving and at the moment there are a lot of good parts There are petabytes of data. Anytime somebody does a pull request or anything else, Microsoft is notified about it. So if somebody, somewhere is always looking at that and watching, that can be a revolutionary product. It's a product that can continuously grow and evolve in time. Even if it is not yet what you call a finished article, it's a growing and evolving product.

Everybody has a slightly different take on what solutions or what part of the solution they would like to be improved. You can always improve a platform. Microsoft is always listening to customers and they will bring out a new version. The platform is quite user-friendly at the moment because you can use any program or language with it. You can't say you need another program, because as far as I'm concerned the main ones can be integrated with Azure. The newer ones like Go, as well as older ones like Python, Java, and PSP,  can all be integrated with that platform.

I suppose when we hear about that release, I have no doubt that because Microsoft captures a lot of metrics and information that they monitor, like capturing data about what or how people use their product, they can see where the usage is and where they might want to remove a feature. That analysis and also comes from Microsoft's monitoring capabilities.

I've been using this solution for five years.

I thought it was very stable. They didn't have any shaky moments. Predominantly with Azure DevOps you need one thing only: a solid internet connection. If you've got a solid Internet connection, you just push everything up to the platform or run an integral request. I haven't had any issues with that. Some people might have, but it all comes down to their internet connection.

This solution is extremely scalable.

It helps a lot in Microservices or service technologies. Using the infrastructures of code enables a productivity increase of a thousand percent. I was speaking with a company that was pulling 12 requests at one time but using competitive technology like DevOps they were able to pull over 2000 requests at the same time. It's extremely scalable and you can use it to scale down when it needs it. It's a completely autonomous product, that allows you to scale whatever you need.

I have five or six back end developers that use it every day. They learn every day, so whatever code or scripts they write are in Azure DevOps. They're not using any another tool to do it, they are pulling it with the platform because you can't tell other people about a platform if you aren't using it yourself. The first thing they do is log on to DevOps.

There will be an increase in our usage of the product. We are looking to expand at some point. The more people that come on board, the more use there is for the product.

We haven't had a requirement to contact their technical support. I have contacted their technical support before under some other projects and got a really good response from the person on the other end of the phone. They are always looking to help you solve more solutions as quickly as they possibly can.

I don't think I have had a bad experience; I've always had continuity. They were able to get me the problem resolved, whether it was a P1 or P4 issue. I've never had a problem with the technical support.

I have experience with Amazon Web Services. As the Azure product has matured a lot in the last two to three years, it deserves its market share at the moment. We were using other products, like Visual Studio, a web service which is an old name for Visual DevOps. We were also using things like Team Foundation Server (TFS). We were just using some of the older tech.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We did the implementation ourselves.

I'm working on the high-level design and the low-level design so I know where we're going to start, and whether we've got a blank slate. I've worked with many firms in the past and companies have their own design in place. Usually, some of these companies material is outdated and Microsoft will probably move the bar several times. We are Microsoft accredited so we stay in touch with the technology more recently than most. We've constantly been informed of the latest technology and the latest products that are evolving on the platform. That includes those that are in preview, which I hope will become available, as well as those that are going to be deprecated. We're basically in full harmony with Microsoft and their products.

We most definitely achieved an ROI.

Check out the pricing information from Azure Cost and analysis information.

No Visual Studio Team Services and Visual code were the preferred options.

What other advice do I have?

The first thing that I would suggest is to read the documentation for the platform. The online documentation changes pretty much every other week; there is always something new coming out. Practice, practice, and practice. Test, practice, and repeat. You need to know your way around the platform and the only way to do that is by hands-on practice. You can't break the environment, but you can speed things up on the thirteenth hour. It depends on how you configure things since every configuration is different. It's an excellent product that is taking into account current technology, yet also flexible enough to use with future technology.

At the moment I would rate Azure DevOps as a nine out of ten. The reason I wouldn't give anything a ten is because it's constantly evolving. There is room for improvement, as this is not the finished article at all. The reason I would give it a nine is the information to get the best usage out of the product is readily available. I've been using Microsoft tech for over 25 years now and back in the day it was difficult to get information out of Microsoft even when you were an MCPN. You would have a special link to go through a Microsoft back door to gain information. That's completely different to the advice that you would get related to Microsoft.com. Now Microsoft is completely different with everything readily available. You can download it in pdot format and the document could be 2000-3000 pages. They leave no stone unturned.

The only problem I would say at the moment is a friend of mine said that the Microsoft test book is taking a long time to come out because he wants to take the exam. Some people need to read the information and retain the information that way. Sometimes you go on these courses that are not run by Microsoft directly. They can be very flaky and don't have all the information or experience of using the product in normal working life.

If there is anything I would ask for, it's to get the documentation out on hardback so that we can add it to our libraries. That would be very good.

IT System Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A stable solution with a reasonable licensing fee and excellent technical support
    • "Technical support has been excellent. On that side, Microsoft is very good. The customer support of Microsoft has really improved this past year. On the cloud side also we are very satisfied because it offers very good support."
    • "The solution could work to improve their reporting."

What is most valuable?

The Repos, Wikis, and pipelines are all excellent features.

What needs improvement?

The solution could work to improve their reporting.

I've been using the solution for nearly one year.

The stability of the solution is good.

The scalability of the solution is good. I would give it a four or five-star rating. We have plans to increase usage. Right now we have about 100 users on the solution.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is straightforward. We just implement it from the cloud. We took it and configured it with our local website infrastructure, so there was nothing much to do.

There is a licensing fee of $6/user per month. That's not too much money for us. There aren't really any additional costs beyond that.

We considered using Jenkins, but we decided to use Azure DevOps because we have an enterprise agreement with Microsoft. It was much easier.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the public cloud deployment model.

Potential users should not hesitate to move to Azure DevOps. It keeps on progressing and keeps on adding new features all of the time, so it's a solution that I would highly recommend people use.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

User at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    They fix issues and add new features quite regularly and it offers many analytical capabilities
      • "They do very frequent releases, there's a complete change in UI kind of stuff. Sometimes it feels like they change it too often."

What is most valuable?

The ability to interact with various other Azure services like for a deployment or using CICD was very helpful because when we leverage it for Azure IT helps. There's no CICD pipeline available. They provided us with some of the plugins to deploy that onto the Azure IOT edge.

What needs improvement?

They do very frequent releases, there's a complete change in UI kind of stuff. Sometimes it feels like they change it too often. They fix issues and add new features quite regularly which is good.

They leverage a lot of new features, new features get released frequently, and sometimes the change management on our side is a bit complicated because we'll see something and there's an entirely different way how it is presented. You need to get it all working again.

Previously we asked them for more analytics on top of what they already had so that we could look at it comprehensively and see how the projects are progressing. They implemented these changes for us.

I have been using Azure for the last couple of years.

It's stable. It's good. If there are some features missing we connect with the Microsoft team and then they get it developed and we utilize it.

It is very scalable. We use it for quite a lot of projects including running the data and all that stuff. We do quite a lot of analysis and analytics on top of that.

We have hundreds of users using this solution.

We don't really use technical support for incidents but more for developing new features.

I've been using Microsoft based solutions, like VST and then like before that DSS. It was a natural progression from VSTS into Azure DevOps.

The initial setup is straightforward. We've been using Microsoft products for a while.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool, quite rich, it has a lot of features, and quite a lot of analytical capabilities which are built on top of it so that you can see how your projects are going and all that stuff. It's a good tool.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Murat Gurkas - PeerSpot reviewer
      Product Owner at ZettaLABS

What is our primary use case?

Agile scrum project management of a software product in a start-up company. We are a team of 11 people located in different countries.

How has it helped my organization?

We have team members in different locations of the world. Azure DevOps is the main communication tool between the product owners, UX designers, and developers.

Its configurable dashboard offers various display options for the stakeholders of the project.

What is most valuable?

• Dashboard
      • Query
      • Sub-tasks configuration
      • Extensions library
      • Visual Studio and other MS product integrations.

What needs improvement?

• It would be better to have a free-text query editor.
      • Product management/roadmap planning features are missing.
      • Parent Column is added in listings and we expect to see it in queries as well

Less than one year.

Refreshing the browser is needed when a data is updated. I am expecting Microsoft to prepare an Azure DevOps application running on PC and downloaded from the MS app store.

It is easy to use if you are already familiar with Microsoft products.

Ove Holmberg - PeerSpot reviewer
      Enterprise Agile Coach at Knowit Require
      A user-friendly and intuitive interface, but it lacks integration with other products and tools
      • "My first impression of DevOps, after using Jira, is that it has a much better, more intuitive, and more user-friendly interface."
      • "I would like to see better interoperability with the agile scaling frameworks."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently involved in a financing exchange project, and we use this solution to keep track of the exchange activities within the backlog. We are not taking advantage of the repository and the code stuff at this stage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us at this stage is the Azure Boards.

I really like the user interface. For comparison, I have been using JIRA for several years now, and I am rather skilled at using that tool. The reason for my using Azure DevOps is because my client uses it. My first impression of DevOps, after using JIRA, is that it has a much better, more intuitive, and more user-friendly interface. That first impression is still valid, today.

What needs improvement?

There is a lack of integration and portability with other tools and products.

I would like to see better interoperability with the agile scaling frameworks.

When I first started using Azure it was impossible to figure out how to do the configuration correctly. Perhaps there should be a configuration environment that hides some features and is not open for everyone.

I find it difficult to find some of the features, although it may be that they are not enabled, or perhaps I have to take some time to better understand the tool.

Four months.

I cannot really comment on the scalability of this solution. We are running in a microenvironment with only a few users and a few integrations. It is enough for us at the moment, but if we want to go forward and continue to work with it then that will be a discussion for later.

We have approximately fifty users right now. There are three or four administrators, and the remainder of them are end-users.

I have not contacted technical support. Coincidentally, I needed support today, so I went online to find the answer. The toolkit for helping yourself is there, but perhaps it should be more integrated into the solution.

I have used JIRA for several years, and although I am impressed with the interface in Azure DevOps, JIRA still has better integration with other tools.

The initial setup for this solution is much easier than for that of JIRA.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anyone implementing this solution is to have an expert for every fifty users of the solution. This person is responsible for configurations and so forth.

If you have a Microsoft environment then this is an easy choice for you, but if you don't then I think that JIRA would be a better choice.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Software Architect Consultant at a tech consulting company with self employed
      Helpful for multi-platform release management, but more flexibility is needed for automated testing
      • "All of the features related to release management are very good."
      • "Better integration with the Linux operating system would be an improvement for this solution."

What is most valuable?

All of the features related to release management are very good. We use release management and dev management, and the dashboard is good. The ability to specify multiple platforms in release management, by using Docker, is valuable.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more third-party plugins; by comparison, the open source solution, Jenkins, has thousands of plugins available.

The Wiki for this solution is not very good.

There is a problem when you want to run a release pipeline for an organization that needs enhanced security. There is no option to configure a dynamic login for a station that is running the tests. The only solution in the platform is to configure an agent that uses a fixed username and password login. There is no option to change the username or password for the login dynamically. If I want to run multiple tests, with different users, then I cannot do it. When it comes to running tests, it needs an option to use different users or authentications. This is a very important feature that is missing.

More than five years.

This solution is very stable.

Scalability is not particularly relevant. It depends on what kind of scaling you want to do. Generally, it has very good support for scaling.

There are hundreds of developers using this solution.

We only had one issue, and I would rate their technical support at medium, based on that experience. The issue was related to shrinking a database, where it was not working well. It took a long time for Microsoft support to fix the problem.

We did not use another solution prior to this one. However, I use other tools in conjunction with Azure DevOps. One of these is Jenkins, for CICD, and I also use the Atlassian Suite.

The initial setup for the latest version was very straightforward. The upgrade was quick and lightweight.

I handled the implementation on my own.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I would recommend.

Azure DevOps is a leading platform, but some things can be better.

it_user1101249 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Senior Project Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Moving our automation and testing to a cloud-based solution has made it easier to work with and maintain
      • "It's graphical representation and tools are easy to use."
      • "Non-functional testing such as security testing, log testing, and performance testing can be improved with a better visualization."

What is most valuable?

The two most valuable features are Azure Pipelines for DevOps automation, and Azure Test Plan for test management.

It is quite easy to create a pipeline, from continuous integration to automated testing, to continuous delivery, performance testing, and continuous deployment. It's graphical representation and tools are easy to use.

The automated testing in DevTest is the big advantage of Azure DevOps.

What needs improvement?

Non-functional testing such as security testing, penetration testing, and performance testing could be improved.

Two years.

This Cloud solution is very stable.

We have approximately one hundred users, the majority of which are developers. There are some project managers and team leads, as well as different levels of management who present to stakeholders.

Currently, two or three of our development teams use Azure DevOps. In the future, we plan to include five more teams. This will grow the number of active users from one hundred to two or three hundred.

I have not used Microsoft support directly. We have an internal support team that is dedicated to Office 365, Azure DevOps, and other Microsoft solutions.

Prior to this, we used Team Foundation Server versions 2017 and 2018 on-premise, and it was a stable solution.

We also used the Atlassian stack, including Jira, Bamboo, and Confluence, all on-premise. The problem is that the on-premise version has an expiry. We moved to a cloud solution because it is easy to support, easy to upgrade, and easy to stage our products. It is distributed between our offices, as we have development teams split into different locations around the country. The cloud-based solution is the best way to integrate our development effort.

I have also worked with HP ALM/Quality Center in the past.

The initial setup for this solution is quite easy.

Our internal DevOps team handled the implementation.

I have worked with other products, and this is the best solution in the market in 2019.

What other advice do I have?

Deployment of solutions on Azure DevOps is a perfect way to provide Disaster Recovery and High Availability. This is a straightforward solution, and I would suggest not wasting any time looking at others.

Right now, this is the best solution.

I would rate this solution ten out of ten.

System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      User-friendly with good management features
      • "The user interface is very friendly."
      • "I would like to see more customization available to the administrator."

What is most valuable?

I like the management features and the user interface is very friendly.

What needs improvement?

It is not clear what features have been added or enhanced since the last version. My customer used a previous version and it did not meet their expectations, so clarification with respect to the new version is needed on their website or other venues.

I would like to see more customization available to the administrator. You need to change the workflow of the end result.

Trial/evaluation for approximately one week.

I did not load the application heavily, but it was stable.

I only tested this solution with a single user. I think that it is scalable, as long as you increase the resources as you move to a larger scale.

I have not been in touch with technical support yet.

The initial setup is very simple.

I performed the setup myself, on my laptop.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to use Microsoft because it is very user-friendly, it can run on small levels of applications, can be calibrated to the application, it can be scaled to a larger scale, from small scale to larger scale. It's very stable, you just need to increase the receptors if you need to scale to a larger scale.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Daniel Hall - PeerSpot reviewer
      Technical Architect at Dwr Cymru Welsh Water
      Allows for source control and CI/CD pipelines

What is our primary use case?

Full DevOps suite.

How has it helped my organization?

Allows for source control and CI/CD pipelines while linking back to the work items on the Kanban board.

What is most valuable?

CI/CD pipelines and repositories.

What needs improvement?

Information to make it easier to choose items from the marketplace (like MS verified), etc.  Otherwise, every item requires a full InfoSec review.

Less than one year.
      Mohamed Sadek - PeerSpot reviewer
      Lead DevOps and Release Engineer-L2 at ITWORX

What is our primary use case?

• Source code management
      • Git repository management including a visualizing for the pull requests process
      • Build automation
      • Continuous integration
      • Project management
      • Test management
      • Release automation
      • Work estimation
      • Capacity management
      • Backlogs and Kanban boards for different teams
      • Load test
      • Integration test automation and unit test projects with status reports on the test results.

How has it helped my organization?

Azure DevOps helps us to implement all our DevOps practices with a complete end-to-end cycle starting from code commit till the production deployment including continuous feedback.

This enables us to release the silos between the teams and enhance collaboration. Also, it gives us more control on the project delivery lifecycle and to fix the issues more earlier than before as we are aligned and working on one integrated system which can give us reports about any piece of info.

What is most valuable?

• Linking the project teamwork (bugs, tasks, user stories, test cases ) with the code, build, release, delivery
      • It's a matter of integration to have only one platform for all your software development life cycle.

What needs improvement?

• Enable more control on Application Insights integration to open different types of work items as this is area still need more enhancements.
      • Test management extension is too high to be paid on a monthly basis.
      • Test and feedback chrome extension still need more development as they are not very stable.

Daniel Hall - PeerSpot reviewer
      Daniel HallTechnical Architect at Dwr Cymru Welsh Water

I'd add that the reliability needs improving, there have been a few outages lately, had numerous issues where marketplace modules install but cannot be used and the live updates on running pipelines stop working. As it matures I can see it being a strong competitor

Download our free Microsoft Azure DevOps Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
      Updated: September 2022