IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Microsoft Azure Block Storage OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure Block Storage is #6 ranked solution in top Public Cloud Storage Services. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Azure Block Storage an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Azure Block Storage is most commonly compared to Amazon EBS (Elastic Block Store): Microsoft Azure Block Storage vs Amazon EBS (Elastic Block Store). Microsoft Azure Block Storage is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.

Download the Public Cloud Storage Services Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Microsoft Azure Block Storage?

Massively scalable cloud storage for your applications

Store and help protect your data. Get durable, highly available data storage across the globe and pay only for what you use.

Microsoft Azure Block Storage was previously known as MS Azure Block Storage.

Microsoft Azure Block Storage Customers

Mazda, BlinkBox, Rakuten Showtime, Xbox One, Serko, ChronoDrive

Microsoft Azure Block Storage Video

Microsoft Azure Block Storage Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure Block Storage pricing:
  • "In terms of pricing, Azure is quite cheaper than AWS. However, I have recently read that Oracle Cloud Generation 2 storage is quite cheaper than Azure. I haven't used it yet. We need to look at a customer's requirements, and, based on that, we can suggest the storage. You can save at least 20% with Azure as compared to AWS, which is quite costly."
  • "We pay around $300 to $400 a month for some scenarios where consumption is limited. However, going forward, we're seeing the likelihood of the cost coming to around $2,000 as consumption rises."
  • "Azure Block Storage is higher priced than its competitors."
  • Microsoft Azure Block Storage Reviews

Sankarguru Thirgnanasambandam - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Architect - Technology Consulting at Ernst & Young
    Straightforward to set up and reliable with good features on offer
    • "It can scale."
    • "The solution could use a couple of security features."

What is our primary use case?

We have a few clients that use the solution.  The use cases have been huge. One of the applications we are developing is an internal tax system. We tend to get a lot of client files through different channels and store them in the Block Storage. It's standing on a huge system. It's a multi-cluster, multi-AG kind of informer.

What is most valuable?

The features are pretty good. Our company mostly uses Java and Microsoft technology. We get good metadata and can save different metadata within the solution.   It can scale. It's at 99.99%. We can always use a different life cycle on objects so that means we don't want to store the object. On one side probably we can do cold storage and kind of thing.  Basically, there are a lot of features that are provided and we have a lot of options. The solution is stable.  We found the initial setup to be straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution could use a couple of security features. They still have a lot of other features and everything is coming along quite nicely now, however, I would expect more features in the near future. We'd like more policies and authentication.

We've used the solution for about five years or so.
    Public Cloud Storage Services
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Wasabi Technologies and others in Public Cloud Storage Services. Updated: June 2022.
    610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution definitely offers durability, and, stability-wise, we have no complaints. AWe tend to make a backup since it is working on the cluster side, so we do a backup every day. We are also able to access it at a global level. Speed-wise, I don't see any latency issues.

The solution can scale quite well. We have 100 clients using the solution. We have a big team in general.

We have a relationship with and are directly partnered with Microsoft. That means we have our own technical support directly from Microsoft. They are our dedicated architects. We have a data communication channel open, so we can talk to them anytime about anything. We're quite happy with the arrangement.

We have a lot of internal products. The development team has been using Azure Storage and Block Storage and Databricks and other products from Azure.

The initial setup is pretty simple. It's not overly difficult or too complex.

The solution is pay-as-you-go. We don't have any subscriptions; it is more like an on-demand arrangement.

What other advice do I have?

Our company has ties with Microsoft. We kind of partner with Microsoft so we always attempt to propose Azure Solutions, especially in the cloud. I would recommend the solution to others. I'd rate it nine out of ten.
    Director - Infrastructure Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It provides easy versioning and great security
    • "It has easy versioning. The versioning is amenable to any changes. It also has great security. It can only be accessed through an API, and only the requested users can access it. It is optimized for data lakes and comprehensive data management."
    • "We need to do versioning each and every time, that is, check-in and check-out. If a person forgets to do that, then there could be an issue in the replacement of that particular object in the storage. It will be great if it can be automatically managed."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Azure Block Storage to accumulate and store all unstructured data, that is, different files such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, or any other streaming or video files. Whenever there is any unstructured data, you can use the Microsoft Azure Block Storage to deal with it.

What is most valuable?

It has easy versioning. The versioning is amenable to any changes.

What needs improvement?

We need to do versioning each and every time, that is, check-in and check-out. If a person forgets to do that, then there could be an issue in the replacement of that particular object in the storage. It will be great if it can be automatically managed.

I have been using this solution for the last two to three years.

There are absolutely no issues. They're really great at stability.

It has great scalability.

It is quite straightforward. You can set it up even when you don't know much about it. You log into Azure.com, which is free for one year, and take a virtual machine and storage and then run your own website through Microsoft Azure Block Storage. You can store your image files, videos, and other document files from there. It is very easy. Oracle Cloud and AWS also provide the same ease of use, not only Azure.

In terms of pricing, Azure is quite cheaper than AWS. However, I have recently read that Oracle Cloud Generation 2 storage is quite cheaper than Azure. I haven't used it yet.

We need to look at a customer's requirements, and, based on that, we can suggest the storage. You can save at least 20% with Azure as compared to AWS, which is quite costly.

What other advice do I have?

I have worked on similar solutions from Oracle and Amazon. Feature-wise, they all provide the same features. However, I found Azure more convenient to work on than other solutions. It is very easy to use for data analytics purposes as well as for storing the archive data or long-term use data, that is, non-relational and unstructured data.

I would rate Microsoft Azure Block Storage a ten out of ten. It is really good.

Public Cloud Storage Services
    June 2022
    610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Vishnu Vardhan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Security Consultant at Velocis Systems Private Limited
    Flexible with good UI and a straightforward setup
    • "The initial setup is very simple and straightforward."
    • "The integrations right now are limited, however, we are hopeful this will improve as the cloud continues to develop."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for application hosting only - in terms of giving an application which is serving to some customers, for a particular location service.

What is most valuable?

From a UI perspective, we like the workflows. Its look and feel are quite good.

The initial setup is quite simple and straightforward, especially if you have IT knowledge.

It is very flexible and scalable. It's very easy to adjust the data.

The stability is good.

What needs improvement?

As a technology product, it's always evolving. There are some feature challenges from my side, however, I am hopeful they will fix the issues.

The integrations right now are limited, however, we are hopeful this will improve as the cloud continues to develop. We would like to see more capabilities in specifically hybrid scenarios. There are some third-party tools in Oracle and Linux we'd like to have access to via this product.

We'd like more failover capabilities or data recovery options.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution is stable. There are no issues with bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

It is a scalable solution. If you need to expand it, it's not a problem.

We have about 50 users on this solution currently.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. It's not very complex. It's much easier if you do some planning and can anticipate some outcomes. Doing that work makes everything easier as you do the implementation. Those with IT backgrounds will find it easier to handle the setup as opposed to those who are not so technical.

The pricing varies. You might have different pricing, for example, in relation to your country or region. It's not standard. We pay around $300 to $400 a month for some scenarios where consumption is limited. However, going forward, we're seeing the likelihood of the cost coming to around $2,000 as consumption rises.

We have never actually attempted to evaluate this solution in comparison to others.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others.

I would rate it eight out of ten.

Staff Engineer at Nagarro
    MSP
    Great storage, easy to set up, and offers good documentation
    • "The solution is stable."
    • "They could create more readability of files."

What is most valuable?

Of all the features I have used, it works great. While some require development, you don't need to for all of them.

There are various types of storage to choose from - blob, table, and queue.

The initial setup is simple.

It has great documentation and community support.

What needs improvement?

When I installed Azure Explorer on my system, I connected easily, and, for uploading data and uploading any value or any files from there, it was very easy. However, when it's there in Azure Blob, Azure Portal, then uploading, downloading, or viewing the file is a little bit difficult. That's the part they need to improve. Downloading and uploading could be easier.

They could create more readability of files. We can use other solutions in desktop versions and then we can connect those Azure files. However, if anyone is working maybe in Linux or other things, then the Azure Portal is best for them. The readability is easier.

I've been working on the solution for more than 12 months.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

It's like creating normal Windows files. Each time you have to create a file though, you can create it using CLI. However, if it's only a storage file and you can store large amounts, large volumes, of details. Scaling is simple. I have not had any challenge regarding Blob Storage, as I do not have much data actually. I haven't used it on a large scale. That's why I don't find any scalability challenges myself, actually.

While we have Microsoft technical support, I didn't take any Microsoft technical support yet, as their documentation is enough for me. If I get into any problems, I look for solution documentation or community help. That's enough for me.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. It's not difficult.

I haven't compared the solution to any other solutions just yet. We only deal with Azure.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user. I'd recommend this solution to others. I would rate it as eight out of ten.

Rishabh Pathak - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Content Manager at Intellipaat Software Solutions Private Limited
    It performs well with large files
    • "The most important reason we use Azure Block Storage is the ability to store large files. When we were building the solution, we knew we needed to store images and video files that are 100 MBs or more. The second thing is speed when dealing with such large file sizes."
    • "There should be a discount on Block Storage for people who use it more often."

What is our primary use case?

We deployed our website on Azure, and Block Storage is for storing large objects. We use Azure Block Storage for embedded videos that any person coming on the website needs to use.

What is most valuable?

The most important reason we use Azure Block Storage is the ability to store large files. When we were building the solution, we knew we needed to store images and video files that are 100 MBs or more. The second thing is speed when dealing with such large file sizes.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if the Azure Block Storage could integrate with microservices-based mobile apps, too.

We started using Azure Block Storage for a project two or three weeks ago.

Block Storage is stable.

I can't say much about scalability because these are small projects, so it's not like we've utilized Block Storage for a million users. We only have a few hundred users.

The setup process is pretty straightforward.  The documentation from Microsoft is clear enough for anyone to set up a storage account. Two or three people are enough to maintain the solution we've built. It's a stable solution that more or less works on its own.

There should be a discount on Block Storage for people who use it more often. Right now we pay somewhere around maybe 30,000 rupees monthly.

Most of our solutions are built on Azure, so that is our first choice. However, we also considered AWS Storage Services. We thought about using the AWS S3 bucket, but our in-house team mostly has experience on Azure, we stuck with that. I think the Azure documentation is easier to understand than AWS's, so that's the main advantage. The costs are more or less the same.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure Block Storage eight out of 10. My biggest concern is the pricing.

Private Cloud

AlexeySaverchenko - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Intelligence Lead at IXOM
    Reliable with good storage capabilities and easy uploading
    • "The stability seems to be very reliable."
    • "If the documentation could be improved then it would be very good. Right now, if you face a question, you have to guess how it works or you have to test your hypothesis."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for storage.

What is most valuable?

The storage is great. It's easy to upload files.

The stability seems to be very reliable.

It's a very scalable solution.

I like the storage explorer feature.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall coming across any missing features.

I have experience in resolving various issues, however, troubleshooting can be sometimes very difficult as items are not very well documented. If the documentation could be improved then it would be very good. Right now, if you face a question, you have to guess how it works or you have to test your hypothesis. This would be great for newer, more basic users.

I have explored the solution several times in the past and have used it maybe for almost a year. I work with it almost on a daily basis.

I have never had any issues with eh stability. I've never dealt with bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's stable and reliable.

The solution scales well. If a company wants to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I can't comment on how helpful they would be if issues came up.

I have experience with Databricks and I'd not say that there isn't much of a difference. I tend to prefer Azure as everything is under one umbrella.

The solution was not deployed by me directly.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just an end-user. I don't have any special arrangements with the company.

I would rate the solution a ten out of ten. I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Private Cloud
    Technical Operations Manager at Mphasis
    A stable and widely accepted solution

What is our primary use case?

We use the hybrid version of Microsoft Azure Block Storage. We have a client based in the UK who utilizes the hybrid cloud. We also have a couple of archiving solutions there, as well as NetApp on TapCloud.

The NFS solution goes into that, deployment is purely on the Azure cloud. The production areas and archiving solutions are mostly done on-premises, while testing and application development in some areas is purely cloud-based.

Block storage is used for the data that is configured for our servers. We have it for auditing purposes and as a compliance method.

Microsoft Azure Block Storage is a stable solution.

As for scalability, we use other archiving solutions, NetApp on TapCloud, for example, because there are some limitations with capacity unless you extend the terabytes of data.

It has been a couple of years since I contacted support. However, at that time, it was difficult to get someone on the call even though it was an issue of high severity.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup for the production areas was on-premises, which is very simple.

Azure Block Storage is higher priced than its competitors. It is costly. The pricing is difficult to calculate as there are different tiers to select from.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Azure Block Storage is widely accepted. People are choosing the enterprise solution. I would rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Database Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It's a reasonable price for what we're getting

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure Block Storage as the secure backup destination for data from on-premise sources and also from cloud services. I backup files from SQL to Azure Block Storage and restore from Azure when needed.

What is most valuable?

We can use Azure Block Storage for some of our bigger files.

What needs improvement?

Azure Block Storage could use more capacity.

We started using Azure Block Storage in 2020.

So far, so good.

Azure Block Storage is scalable enough to meet the needs of our company of 1,000 employees.

We had a minor issue with Block Storage, but we never opened a ticket with Microsoft support.

Setting up Block Storage is simple. We handled it ourselves, and it only took around an hour. After deployment, all the maintenance is done by the provider.

I think Azure Block Storage is a reasonable price for the amount of storage we're getting.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Azure Block Storage eight out of 10. I like that I don't need much technical experience. I always recommend Azure Block Storage to other companies that already used Azure. -

Microsoft Azure
    Download our free Public Cloud Storage Services Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Wasabi Technologies, and more!
    Updated: June 2022