IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Micro Focus Operations Bridge OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus Operations Bridge is #4 ranked solution in top Event Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give Micro Focus Operations Bridge an average rating of 8 out of 10. Micro Focus Operations Bridge is most commonly compared to SCOM: Micro Focus Operations Bridge vs SCOM. Micro Focus Operations Bridge is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.

Download the Event Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Micro Focus Operations Bridge?

Micro Focus Operations Bridge provides the ability to sense, analyze and adapt to manage IT services that support digital business. With advanced event correlation, log intelligence, predictive analytics and automation you can remediate issues across all your technologies to prioritize business targets. Micro Focus Operations Bridge consolidates events, metrics, and topology from Micro Focus and 3rd party data collectors, applies correlation across these using a dynamically updated IT service model to accelerate root cause determination and will trigger automatic remediation.

Micro Focus Operations Bridge was previously known as Operations Bridge Manager.

Micro Focus Operations Bridge Customers

GE Money Bank, Bank AlJazira, Tech Mahindra

Micro Focus Operations Bridge Video

Micro Focus Operations Bridge Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus Operations Bridge pricing:
  • "As OpsBridge is a suite of products bundled together, you may find yourself paying for software functionality that you don't actually use, e.g. Real User Monitor (RUM)."
  • "The pricing of Operations Bridges is acceptable to us."
  • "The cost is very high."
  • Micro Focus Operations Bridge Reviews

David Collier - PeerSpot reviewer
    Co-Founder at Nobius IT
    Reseller
    Good event correlation capabilities, promotes a self-service approach to monitoring
    • "OpsBridge has good event correlation facilities and root-cause identification algorithms."
    • "The solution is overall "heavy", requiring multiple servers, even without HA."

What is our primary use case?

Operations Bridge is designed primarily for large enterprises with highly complex monitoring and service quality demands. These may include legislative requirements. OpsBridge is a scalable, integrated solution to monitoring geo-diverse, very large infrastructures and applications on a worldwide scale. OpsBridge actually consists of a suite of products that are installed separately and integrated together under the "Operations Bridge" banner. The full list of products in the suite is here: https://docs.microfocus.com/it... SiteScope SiteScope: 2020.10 Express, Premium, and Ultimate Application Performance Management 9.51 Premium and Ultimate Business Process Monitor 9.53 Premium and Ultimate Cloud Optimizer 3.04 Premium and Ultimate Containerized Operations Bridge 2020.10 Premium and Ultimate Diagnostics 9.51 Premium and Ultimate Operations Agent 12.15 Premium and Ultimate Operations Bridge Manager 2020.10 Premium and Ultimate Operations Bridge Reporter 10.50 Premium and Ultimate Real User Monitor 9.52 Premium and Ultimate *Data Center Automation 2020.08 Ultimate Operations Bridge Analytics 3.05 Ultimate Operations Orchestration Operations Orchestration: 2020.08 Ultimate Universal Configuration Management Database Universal CMDB: 2019.11 Ultimate

How has it helped my organization?

OpsBridge has good event correlation facilities and root-cause identification algorithms. This can reduce the number of alerts that an operator sees, potentially improving operator efficiency and reducing the "cost-per-alert". To achieve this though OpsBridge depends on accurate topology mapping, i.e. it needs to understand the dynamic relationships between items being monitored. Maintaining this can demand additional software. As owners of the Vertica database, MicroFocus can exploit this technology to improve the handling of the vast amounts of monitoring data that its enterprise customers generate.

What is most valuable?

Event correlation is useful. The increasing use of a common "data lake" approach to monitoring and other ITOM disciplines could be useful, but it is resource hungry and not capable of being cloud-hosted (at least the last version I worked with wasn't). OpsBridge also promotes a service-oriented approach to monitoring, which is valuable for larger MSPs.

What needs improvement?

Better distributed monitoring - "proxy" monitoring whereby a small device can gather metrics and alerts on behalf of the main management server would be useful. At last use, this architecture needed an additional full-function server at extra cost. The solution is overall "heavy", requiring multiple servers, even without HA. For instance, a full OpsBridge deployment of all the products in the suite can demand upwards of six servers or large VMs (8+ CPUs, 32+GB RAM).
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Microsoft, BMC and others in Event Monitoring. Updated: June 2022.
    608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Operations Bridge for a significant number of years, from the days of OpenView Operations.

I did not use another solution previously, although I do have experience with other ITOM products.

Installation can be conventional or container (Docker) based. This gives the potential for auto-scaling and resilience; however, the last version I used (2019) was not able to exploit the full benefits of containerization. In either case, installation needs very careful planning - which is good as it focuses the mind on what needs to be monitored. Consider OpsBridge as being the "SAP of ITOM". It requires dedicated resources to configure and administer.

Licensing is still difficult to comprehend despite numerous improvements over the years and it is easy to incorrectly license the product. This should be improved. My advice is to do your licensing estimates very carefully. As OpsBridge is a suite of products bundled together, you may find yourself paying for software functionality that you don't actually use, e.g. Real User Monitor (RUM). Don't forget the cost of maintenance and support starting in year two and onwards.

As part of forming Nobius, we performed technical and business reviews of many monitoring solution tools

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to engage with MicroFocus professional services if you want to implement effectively. Don't under-estimate the need for formal training. New customers will not get the best out of OpsBridge by flying solo from day one. OpsBridge is powerful, comprehensive, and well suited to organizations with the budget to justify it. Its service-driven approach is good and the increasing inclusion of machine-learning features is welcome. Don't underestimate the amount of hardware needed to run the full suite on and plan that into your project. If necessary, validate its suitability for running on a cloud environment. Earlier versions c.2019 didn't fully support installing on AWS or Azure. If you are considering MicroFocus OperationsBridge, run it as a major project with a fully-resourced project team and associated budget. With great power comes great administration !!
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a former pre-sales specialist covering the ITOM solution set in MicroFocus. I now own an IT monitoring business.
    Responsable supervision at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Powerful soft but expensive and poor support
    • "We haven't faced any stability issues. There hasn't been any crashes or glitches."
    • "The price is quite expensive, and because of this, we may try another solution."

What is our primary use case?

First case of installation of the tool with the business branch of a French telecom provider.
    We installed the tool with SiteScope, Network Node Manager and Network automation.
    I don't remember the exact environment but we had more than 2000 network nodes and a number of servers.

Installation of a preprod and prod environment. Not much customization. Some rules for enriching and installing the different connectors. Some business view was created too

Great experience but I moved to network automation for a new project.

How has it helped my organization?

the implementation of Operation Manager made it possible to centralize the events of several supervision tools such as sitescope, Network node manager or Nagios.

This is one of the big advantages of the product, the connectors developed by microfocus.

All the enrichment part allowed to reduce the processing time of support tickets. All the information was already present in the alarm.

We could have gone further with the connectors to the ticketing tools.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

What is most valuable?

the most important aspects in Operation Managers are:

* The total environment provided by microfocus. All the tools can be implemented together with a certain ease.

*A lot of documentation provided by Microfocus and a fairly large community. The forum is provided in response from members.

* Enrichment is also a strong point but also found among competitors

What needs improvement?

level 1 technical support is incompetent. I'm almost afraid to open tickets because I know I'll be asked the same thing 8 times.

The price is very expensive for a tool that doesn't evolve very quickly compared to competitors.

I've been working with the solution for five years.

We haven't faced any issues with scaling the solution.

lot of bug with queue

We've been in contact with technical support, and we find it to be unreliable. They always ask the same questions and they don't fix the problems. We're very unhappy with the level of support they provide.

We're currently looking at switching to Canopsis, which is an open-source product. It has all the modules we need and it's absolutely free. It's very similar to Operations Bridge, for the most part.

I didn't participate in the original setup, so I'm unsure as to if it was straightforward or not.

The solution itself is quite expensive. We did have to pay extra for technical support when we purchased the solution, however. It was included in the price.

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a relationship with the solution; we're just a customer.

It's a good solution overall. On the market, there aren't many other solutions, other than maybe BMC or a few more. It's expensive, but it's very good.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    June 2022
    608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Prem Raj - PeerSpot reviewer
    Pre- Sales Solution Architect (ITOM and Enterprise Systems) at alpha
    MSP
    Reliable with good consolidation capabilities and excellent correlation features
    • "I've found the solution to be very scalable."
    • "The setup process can get a little bit complex."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mainly used for server monitoring as well as consolidation integration with the various data sources. We use this for where we want to consolidate event performance rates and capture all those tools that were a single unit.

What is most valuable?

The even consolidation is great and the extract mechanisms give you very good correlation features.

The stability is good.

I've found the solution to be very scalable.

What needs improvement?

The setup process can get a little bit complex.

There is new development happening, however, it's important that certain legacy applications should be supported in the future.

I've used the solution for eight to ten years at this point.

It's highly stable. It's worked well for me for eight to ten years and I haven't had any issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable and the performance is good.

The solution scales quite well. It's not a problem at all. If a company needs to expand it out, it can do so.

The initial setup is not exactly straightforward. It's complex as it's not just one product. It has to integrate with many other products. A standalone product can be simple, however, when you have an integrated environment, definitely the complexity is increased. How you design it and whether it is standalone dictates the process. Every setup is unique and different according to each individual company.

The cloud version does have a subscription cost.

What other advice do I have?

While the solution is on-premises, we also have a cloud deployment that has just started. It's available via subscription and companies can use both models.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite happy with its capabilities and have been quite pleased with that solution overall.

Monitoring Specialist at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to use, powerful, and the support is quick to respond
    • "Similar to Micro Focus Network Node Manager, the most valuable features of this solution are its modern look and usability."
    • "When we complete the security requirements, it is hard to manage. If we miss or skip a step, it is very difficult to find."

What is our primary use case?

We use Operations Bridge to monitor our environment.

What is most valuable?

It is easy and quick to use.

Both are very powerful tools. It is not necessary to program. We can program less to make it worse, which means that fewer side scripts are required to make it work.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Operations Bridge for one year.

As we use it fully in production, it will also be interesting, but for now, it is stable.

Operations Bridge is a scalable product.

In the beginning technical support was a bit taken back, possibly because they did not realize that we were more technical.

You start off the same way you do with IBM. You start with the first level, then the second level is when it is difficult to resolve issues.

Now, things are better. We have access to an engineer, and it's very fast. They take care of us, and they trust us. When we issue a report with an issue, they resolve the issue very quickly.

We also use Micro Focus Network Node Manager.

The installation is complex when trying to set up the security other than that it's easy.

The pricing of Operations Bridges is acceptable to us.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, it's a very good solution.

I would rate Operations Bridge an eight out of ten.

Senior Technology Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable, good support and community, and very good for event management and agent-based monitoring
    • "The correlation feature is the most used feature. It allows you to correlate events from different sources and have more meaningful events."
    • "The deployment of agents on new CI should be improved. There should be some kind of automation to directly deploy them from the console. It can maybe have some more AI functions because most of the other tools are going in that direction."

What is our primary use case?

It is mostly used for event management. We use it to consolidate events from different data collectors.

What is most valuable?

The correlation feature is the most used feature. It allows you to correlate events from different sources and have more meaningful events.

What needs improvement?

The deployment of agents on new CI should be improved. There should be some kind of automation to directly deploy them from the console.

I have been using this solution for around two years.

It is stable. It has got high availability.

I haven't done that yet, but its scalability must be good. It must be easy to add new servers.

In terms of usage, mostly the operations teams work on these events. We have a team of around ten members.

Their support is good. The community is also helpful.

It was pretty straightforward.

It was actually management's call, so I didn't get a chance to look at other tools.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Operations Bridge an eight out of ten. It is a very good solution for event management and agent-based monitoring.

Operations Leader - Global Automation at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to install, stable, and you can control everything at the console level
    • "It's a very good product overall."
    • "The pricing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for incident management, and event automation.

How has it helped my organization?

In Micro Focus OBM, everything was controlled at the node level and now everything can be controlled at the console level.

What is most valuable?

It's a very good product overall.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

I have been using Micro Focus Operations Manager for ten years.

We are using the latest version.

It's very stable.

It's a scalable solution.

We have approximately 45,000 users in our organization.

We are only working with two products, one is Micro Focus Operations Manager, and the other is Orchestration, that we are trying.

It's very easy to install.

We have a team of 15 members to deploy, maintain, and support this solution.

The cost is very high.

What other advice do I have?

We plan to continue using this solution. We are already working on a new project using Micro Focus and I recommend it for other users.

I would rate Micro Focus Operations Manager a nine out of ten.

Download our free Event Monitoring Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Microsoft, BMC, and more!
    Updated: June 2022