Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection is the #6 ranked solution in top Domain Name System (DNS) Security tools. PeerSpot users give Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection is most commonly compared to Cisco Umbrella: Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection vs Cisco Umbrella. Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the Domain Name System (DNS) Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection?

Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection (ADP) effectively shields you from the widest range of DNS DDoS attacks, ensuring that you can maintain service uptime for your organization. Minimizing disruptions caused by DDoS and other DNS-based attacks is a key business imperative because DNS provides mission-critical network connectivity. If your DNS is down, your business is down. With ADP you can maintain DNS integrity and stop external and internal DNS DDoS attacks that can take your business offline. ADP eliminates such threats as volumetric attacks, DNS hijacking, cache poisoning and other DNS-specific exploits. A proven solution, it ensures that your customers can always reach your website and other external systems, and it keeps your business up and running 24×7 to maintain customer trust and confidence.

Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection was previously known as Infoblox Secure DNS.

Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection Customers

Colruyt Group, Council Rock School District, Danone, GlaxoSmithKline, The Hershey Company

Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection Video

Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection pricing:
"The price of Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection could be reduced, it is expensive."

Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection Reviews

Solutions Consultant (Professional Services) at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Dashboards, reporting system, and GUI are good, but support and stability are bad
  • "The main advantages with Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection are the dashboards, the reporting system, and they have the GUI interface."
  • "They are not supporting high query logging. They have a very limited size for the syslog, so they are usually asking for external storage, external network, and integration in order to keep the syslog. If you are considering the high volume traffic of the carrier-grade, then the syslog will hold for around five to 10 minutes. This is not enough time and it is being rotated. This is the main issue and the main limitation that we face with them that they need to work on."

How has it helped my organization?

Actually, we are having a very bad experience with Infoblox, especially the support. The engineering and the product teams are not fixing the issues on the spot. We were suffering a lot with them on the support issue. In cases where we have some specific fix that needs to be developed, they are not willing to do this unless they have a full product release or a new release and that may take months to cover the issue reported to them.

What is most valuable?

The main advantages with Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection are the dashboards, the reporting system, and they have the GUI interface.

What needs improvement?

A big problem is that they are considering enterprise and service providers as the same, which is not the case. They deal with the issues of the service provider at the same level as for the enterprise. This was the main issue. What is critical, what is a major incident or crisis for a service provider, is not necessarily an incident or a major crisis for an enterprise. If you have some minor issue in the enterprise, it could be affecting millions of people or millions of subscribers and for the service provider this is a carrier-grade major issue. However, it is a minor issue at the enterprise level. This is the point.

Customers are looking for stability, for latency, and for security. Most of the features that we are dealing with with Infoblox were disabled because of a malfunction or were causing some issues with the carrier-grade. This is the issue. They provide the solution. However, when you implement something, you find that it is causing issues in the network, and then the b-routers network elements. You have to disable these features and this is definitely impacting the customer.

The main weak point is the under layer, they need the security and the integration with network elements.

In terms of what I would like to see included with next release, right now they are not supporting high query logging. They have a very limited size for the syslog, so they are usually asking for external storage, external network, and integration in order to keep the syslog. If you are considering the high volume traffic of the carrier-grade, then the syslog will hold for around five to 10 minutes. This is not enough time and it is being rotated. This is the main issue and the main limitation that we face with them that they need to work on.

I have been using Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection for less than four years.

Domain Name System (DNS) Security
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Infoblox, Cisco, EfficientIP and others in Domain Name System (DNS) Security. Updated: November 2022.
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Infoblox, to be honest, is not stable. We are suffering a lot. If you are talking about the enterprise, it is stable, but when you add more features, like security features for threat analytics, ADB, and responsibility zones, and other features, these cause a lot of issues, especially with the huge volume of traffic with the carrier-grade and the service provider.

It has a limitation. For every feature you add, you should be very clear about what you are doing because some features create fluctuations, BGB, flapping, and they cannot sustain the huge amount of traffic for the carrier-grade. This is the issue.

Yes, it is scalable.

Support is the main issue. They are not supporting on the spot. Support with Infoblox is a nightmare.

This is their weakest point.

It is easy to install.

Deployment does not take too much time. It depends on the facility that you have - the server, the racks, the environment, but the installation process itself does not take much time. It is straightforward. This is one of the advantages that we have with the Infoblox - the installation, the dashboard, the GUI are easy to handle. However, this is not reflected to the customer who is looking for other features from the security perspective.

The administration and maintenance do not require too many people to work on it. Two or three are more than enough. These include the service professional teams of architects and engineers.

For the time being, we don't have a plan to expand the use of this product because we face a lot of limitations and a lot of issues with them. We are looking to replace them or at least to have another vendor, Akamai. This is the plan.

We have more than six million subscribers, end users, right now. We are providing this service through the six million subscribers, but we have different teams who are working on this tool - the operations team, the planning team, the execution and network monitoring teams. Many people are using this if you are talking about the network onsite, but this solution is provided to six million subscribers.

I am not sure about ROI, because in a couple of years we were thinking about swapping the whole solution, so there is no ROI in three years.

On a scale of one to five, I would rate them on ROI depending on whether you are considering the enterprise or the carrier-grade. For the enterprise, it could be higher. For the carrier-grade, you cannot run this.

They have different types of licenses. They have a perpetual license and they have a subscription license. The different types of licenses depend on the service that you are buying from them.

On a scale of one to five, I would rate them on pricing as a three.

They are putting some limitations on the sizing. Let's say you exceed the specific number of hits or number of queries per second, this requires another tier of license. They have different tiers of licenses depending on the number of queries, number of hits, and number of domains.

We are definitely thinking about other brands, for example, the F5. They have a very powerful solution as does Akamai. We have another solution, but I cannot remember the name right now. We are testing this at the VOC, but again, Infoblox is fine if you are considering it for the enterprise level, but for the carrier-grade, you should be very careful. You have a limited product that can support for the DNS domain.

We are trying right now to test Akamai. It is only in the initial phase, or maybe it's in a VOC phase. We don't have time yet to judge the Akamai solution, but as far as we know, this is more stable and the support team is more talented.

What other advice do I have?

If it is a small-to-medium-scale company or organization, Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection might fit them very well. They will not face the issues that we are currently facing as a carrier-grade or a service provider. It is very stable. If you are considering the enterprise level, at a low to medium scale, you can use other features without any issues, but again, increasing the capacity or the size of the solution - the sizing of the query per second and number of hits - causes issues with them.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection at a six  for the carrier-grade. And I would rate it eight or nine for the enterprise.

David Ferreira - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Security Engineer at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
High performance, useful services, and beneficial debugging
  • "The most valuable features of Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection are the services, DHCP, and debugging. Additionally, we can use APIs and ansible scripts."
  • "The service monitoring information could be simplified of this appliance and the information displayed on the dashboards could be improved. I have not found one dashboard to be perfect. For example, in Splunk, I can create a dashboard in Grafana. However, in Grafana, it takes a very long time to create them. There should be another API to do it better."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection as a DNS resolver and DHCP server.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection are the services, DHCP, and debugging. Additionally, we can use APIs and ansible scripts.

What needs improvement?

The service monitoring information could be simplified of this appliance and the information displayed on the dashboards could be improved. I have not found one dashboard to be perfect. For example, in Splunk, I can create a dashboard in Grafana. However, in Grafana, it takes a very long time to create them. There should be another API to do it better.

I have been using Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection for approximately six months.

The stability of the solution is very good.

The scalability is great. If there are some performance issues I only need to add another appliance to solve the issues.

We have approximately 50,000 users using this solution and we are using the solution extensively, on a daily basis.

I have never needed to contact the support.

We were using another solution before Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection. We switched because Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection had better performance and stability.

The setup of  Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection is complex.

I would rate the initial setup of Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection a four out of five.

My colleague did the implementation and it took three months to do the first one. We did all the configurations in-house.

The price of Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection could be reduced, it is expensive.

The price is approximately $100,000 annually.

I would rate the price of Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection a two out of five.

We evaluated other solutions before choosing Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to read the guides before implementation.

I rate Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection an eight out of ten.

Domain Name System (DNS) Security
November 2022
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Bob Bagheri - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Overall effective management capabilities, reliable, and high level support

What is our primary use case?

We use Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection for Standard IP management and a little bit of DNS security.

What is most valuable?

Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection allows us to manage our overall addresses and IT in one location. Many companies are using this solution, it is very popular.

What needs improvement?

There is a steep learning curve to be able to use Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection well.

I have been using Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection for approximately 15 years.

The solution is stable.

Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection is scalable.

Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection provides a very high level of support.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those who want to use this solution should understand DNS well and everything else related to it.

The solution does not have a lot of competition, they are dominating the market.

I rate Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Domain Name System (DNS) Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about Infoblox, Cisco, EfficientIP, and more!
Updated: November 2022