Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM SPSS Statistics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM SPSS Statistics is #2 ranked solution in top Data Mining tools and #5 ranked solution in top Data Science Platforms. PeerSpot users give IBM SPSS Statistics an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. IBM SPSS Statistics is most commonly compared to IBM SPSS Modeler: IBM SPSS Statistics vs IBM SPSS Modeler. IBM SPSS Statistics is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Data Mining Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM SPSS Statistics?
Your organization has more data than ever, but spreadsheets and basic statistical analysis tools limit its usefulness. IBM SPSS Statistics software can help you find new relationships in the data and predict what will likely happen next. Virtually eliminate time-consuming data prep; and quickly create, manipulate and distribute insights for decision making.

IBM SPSS Statistics was previously known as SPSS Statistics.

IBM SPSS Statistics Customers
LDB Group, RightShip, Tennessee Highway Patrol, Capgemini Consulting, TEAC Corporation, Ironside, nViso SA, Razorsight, Si.mobil, University Hospitals of Leicester, CROOZ Inc., GFS Fundraising Solutions, Nedbank Ltd., IDS-TILDA
IBM SPSS Statistics Video

IBM SPSS Statistics Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM SPSS Statistics pricing:
  • "SPSS is an expensive piece of software because it's incredibly complex and has been refined over decades, but I would say it's fairly priced."
  • "It's quite expensive, but they do a special deal for universities."
  • "The price of IBM SPSS Statistics could improve."
  • IBM SPSS Statistics Reviews

Database Consultant at a pharma/biotech company
    Offers good Bayesian and descriptive statistics
    • "The features that I have found most valuable are the Bayesian statistics and descriptive statistics."
    • "I know that SPSS is a statistical tool but it should also include a little bit of analytical behavior. You can call it augmented analysis or predictive analysis. The bottom line is it should have more graphical and analytical capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM SPSS Statistics as well as the Modeler. I would say 70% of our work is on Statistics and 30% is on the Modeler.

I'm an independent consultant and my clients have lots of clinical level laboratories. Clinical companies, pharma companies, like Cipla, Biocon, etc. And also logistic companies, like Maersk and Blue Dot. I do the clinical analysis of their data. These companies provide the data and I give them the results. The customer gets the results in whatever format they want. All these companies that I work with also have software other than IBM SPSS. For example, Visual Analytics, SAP Discovery, and solutions like that. So I have to do a liaison with all these other software to fetch the data and present it to the client in whichever format they prefer because there are some features which IBM SPSS statistics has which SAS doesn't have. And there are a lot of features that SAS Visual Analytics has that IBM SPSS doesn't have. So it's a trade-off between these two. I do the liaising with all the partners.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are the Bayesian statistics and descriptive statistics. I use these more often because in pharma companies and clinical hospitals they make the medicines by taking the feedback from different patients. For example, there could be a neuro-disorder patient or a normal IT employee who may be an introvert, confined to his own space and doesn't want to mingle with people or more inclined towards reading books and stuff like that. You have a cross-section of the community. If a patient comes to the doctors with a little bit of mental depression because of the work pressure or anything else, we collect this data, put up a questionnaire to him about his personality traits, why he's feeling depressed, what are the factors affecting his mental attitude and those kinds of questions and we collect that kind of data. Depending on the data we draw a graph and we give a statistical analysis to the doctors, as well.

Then simultaneously, we give this feedback to the pharma companies, so that depending on the data, they determine which medicine they have and what medicine they could develop. That is the kind of work that we do.

What needs improvement?

I understand that we're talking about IBM SPSS Statistics, it's a mathematical tool. Fine. Everybody knows that. It is a statistical tool. Having said that, if they could make it a little bit graphical then people who work on IBM SPSS need not depend on other software, like SAP Lumira or something like that, for the regeneration and graphical image of the entire data. That graphical GUI content should be encapsulated in the SPSS package. That's what I mean.

I know that SPSS is a statistical tool but it should also include a little bit of analytical behavior. You can call it augmented analysis or predictive analysis. The bottom line is it should have more graphical and analytical capabilities.

There are so many formulas which you can encapsulate in this IBM statistical tool. I don't have all the formulas off the top of my head right now, but for any statistical tool for that matter, regardless of the company, it should encapsulate these to the maximum. All the statistical tools and formulae which are taught. I expect that SPSS encapsulates all those formulas, it has a good amount of descriptors, chi-square distribution, ANOVA, etc... you have all the things, but if anything, any theory or formula is missing, I would suggest to SPSS to include that also and market it accordingly so that they can be a front runner in this market, in this segment.

I have been using IBM SPSS Statistics for three years.

Data Mining
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Weka, Oracle and others in Data Mining. Updated: September 2022.
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is a stable solution. There's no doubt. But you know, the stability has to be evolving every day. It's not that today I'm stable. Stability is not static. It is dynamic. My effective operative stability will not be carried forward to future generations without any hassles. No, it's not like that. Every day you have to evolve in the technologies to meet the demands.

As I told you earlier, SPSS still has to mature in terms of fetching data from the high volume data databases, like SAP HANA can.

SAP HANA is a column level database, a columnar database, it's not a low level database. So SPSS has to show that kind of maturity. I assume that they'll scale up because IBM knows how to tackle the market.

In terms of scalbility, it is scalable. There is a scalability fee for this kind of package. The business package can be measured only with the amount of data it can analyze.

Because if I talk about the Oracle database or the RNC database, the measure of scalability depends on the number of notes I can add to the RSE cluster, how much data will my database be able to handle, and what kind of hardware requirements I need. The IBM package is just a normal package. It doesn't have a SPSS package to measure the scalability. There's only one factor, how much volume of data it can analyze at any point of time. Take an example of its competitor, SAS. SAS analytical software has a server called Laser Server, an ASR server, which is capable of handling around 120 terabytes of data at a time.

That kind of thing should be here. I can't assume that SPSS as a front-end tool can assess that much volume of data. Having said that, it should have some kind of work around or a bigger version, just like SAP has given three versions of Lumira Discovery, Lumira designer and business studio. So on the same lines SPSS should have options for a normal user or for an advanced user which can take more amount of data.

Their customer service is pretty good. IBM is always customer oriented. I worked at IBM earlier, I know what kind of customer service they have. I worked in IBM at a prior date in India. They're very customer oriented, very customer focused. They don't let their customers down, even if the customer is bad, they'll politely try to resolve the issue. They focus on resolving the issue rather than getting into egos and all that stuff. I rate nine out of 10 on tech support. It's awesome.

I'm a pure IT consultant. And in addition to IBM SPSS, I'm also a SAP consultant. I work on SAP Lumira, I work on SAP HANA. I work on SAP S400 material management, logistical management, which includes the SCM MM, PP and the SV modules. I'm also a SAS consultant. I'm a sales, regional medical consultant. I have done the codes in SAS breakthrough modeling. I'm also an Oracle DBA. I worked on almost all the versions of Oracle right from 7.3 to Oracle 18 C. 19 C also, but 18 C is the stable one. So I'm an Oracle Meraki consultant RSE, real application, cluster consultants, and a golden gate expert.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. Although I'm not an SPSS admin, per se, I was part of the SPSS installation. Basically what happens when you install any SPSS statistics package is a company involves both the admin guy and also the technical consultant who will be working on it so that they can work in tandem and make the installation perfect.

I was involved with the installation team, as well. It is pretty simple. It's not that complex. I think the versatility of IBM SPSS Statistics tool is very evident, it's good. You have the ability to fetch and analyze the different sets of data, whether it is a CSV from a separated value, or other data from the Oracle database, or other older database such as Dbase or redundant spreadsheets like Lotus 1,2,3 or Excel. You have everything. On that count, I gave IBM a nine out of 10. But there are drawbacks too, because IBM SPSS is not able to fetch the data from new databases like SAP HANA or SAP BW HANA. SAP HANA got introduced in 2011, but it became famous more in 2015.

The same is the case with BW HANA, the business warehouse for HANA, and any statistical tool which is not capable of fetching data from this volume, this database. SAP HANA is a numerary database. So any statistical tool which is not able to fetch data from these databases will not be able to sustain itself in the market for long. But yeah, there are some workarounds where people fetch the data from HANA into some of the data sets and transfer the same data set into SPSS to work through the indirect path. But SPSS has to pull up its socks to fetch data from heterogeneous environments, whether it be SAP, HANA or whether it is a MongoDB or anything, any RDBMS, or DBMS on this earth. That kind of flexibility should be there in SPSS.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. I teach statistics at a college in Bangalore, and I use the IBM statistics, which my students have bought for $29 per month. We use IBM Statistics to learn statistical analysis of data because visualization data is different than statistical analysis. I totally recommend IBM SPSS, even in top business schools, like IAM in India. I went on a guest lecture there and I recommended IBM SPSS to IAM.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate IBM SPSS Statistics a nine.

I absolutely like the product. That's the reason I recommend all of my students buy SPSS.

Director, Systems Management & MIS Operations at a university with 201-500 employees
    The interface is accessible, customizable, and user-friendly.
    • "The SPSS interface is very accessible and user-friendly. It's really easy to get information in it. I've shared it with experts and beginners, and everyone can navigate it."
    • "I'd like to see them use more artificial intelligence. It should be smart enough to do predictions and everything based on what you input."

What is our primary use case?

SPSS is a statistical dashboard that gives you a quick view of your data. We're a community college, so we use SPSS for analyzing all kinds of data. It's things like enrollments, transfers, new students, returning students, dropped classes, etc.

What is most valuable?

The SPSS interface is very accessible and user-friendly. It's really easy to get information in it. I've shared it with experts and beginners, and everyone can navigate it. It's a dashboard where they can get more information. And then, if they want to do a deeper dive into some things, they tell us, and we will work with the research department. We can either add or point to the field or fields and give them some more details.

Say, for example, you wanted to see things like class registration broken down by area of study. So instead of just looking at enrollment, you can dive into specifics about which courses students are taking and what popular disciplines. We can do all that with SPSS.

It's also customizable. You can add or remove features as needed to make it fit what you're looking for. Instructions for how to do this are all over our website. For example, on the research page, you see a default report, but you can pretty much create your own version that highlights what you want to show.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see them use more artificial intelligence. It should be smart enough to do predictions and everything based on what you input. Right now, that mostly depends on the know-how of the user. But if it had some AI, maybe it could guess what you're looking for based on what you're clicking. So it might make a suggestion like, "I think you're looking for this because you've been hovering on this, this and that"

For example, say you're clicking on a bunch of data related to enrollment, it might ask if you'd like to see enrollment projections. Or you're looking at diversity and want to break it down by race, religion, gender, and age so you can look for patterns. It should be smart enough.

I've been using IBM SPSS since 2002.

SPSS is very reliable. So once it's up and running, there's little maintenance unless your network goes down. It's pretty much like Microsoft Office or those standalone programs. They keep running. And I haven't hit a wall where there are so many transactions that it breaks or pauses. You can connect a 2 kilobyte database to a terabyte database. It's just a matter of processing time, but it processes nonetheless. There are no hiccups or anything.

It's running on-premises, so you're only limited by your resources, not theirs. SPSS is a product that sits on the server or your PC, and it works. So if your PC is very old, of course, everything else won't work correctly there.

We haven't had to call IBM tech support. I called IBM once for a discount but never for support. When we switched from a single user to a tiered license a few years back, I recommended adopting special pricing for schools. IBM could verify this easily by looking at the users' school email addresses. Customer service was pretty smooth. Once we opened a ticket, they connected us to their sales, and we got the pricing we were looking for.

It's like Excel. You connect your input to it, and there you go. Dive in.

You can download it for free, but if you want to enable the professional features, you can buy one license if that's all you need. But if you have many collaborators and want to add more contributors to your site or dashboard, you should think about tiers or a site license, depending on what you need. They have all flavors of licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM SPSS Statistics eight out of 10. It's a good starting point if you have a modest budget because you can start for free. Unfortunately, SPSS does not have AI capabilities. And when I say AI capabilities, I mean something similar to what you see on a stock trading platform. Based on the stocks and index funds you've been browsing, it will suggest similar things that you might be looking for. I want SPSS to have that kind of capability because it engages users and saves a lot of time by showing you exactly what you want to see. This could be in newer versions that I haven't used, and maybe I'm missing out. But to my knowledge, they don't have this yet. That's why I rate it an eight. Nowadays, a lot of people are putting AI in their products. Some of it is good, some bad. But if it's good AI, it can be helpful.

Data Mining
    September 2022
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Patrick Scolyer-Gray - PeerSpot reviewer
    Founder & CEO at Pathbreaker Pty Ltd
    It's the solution to use if if you have data amenable to quantitative analysis, and you need high-accuracy results
    • "SPSS can handle whatever you throw at it, whether your data set contains 10,000, 100,000, or a million objects. It's like the heavy artillery of analytical tools."
    • "SPSS is a tool that's been around since the late 60s, and it's the universal worldwide standard for quantitative social science data analysis. That said, it does seem a bit strange to me that the graphical output functions are so clunky after all these years. The output of charts and graphs that SPSS produces is hideous."

What is our primary use case?

I've used SPSS for my doctoral research and in my work as an academic and consultant. It's useful for getting reliable insights into survey data and performing quantitative data analysis. SPSS does the math for statistical research.

In theory, I could take the same data set, plug it into an Excel spreadsheet, and eventually get the same result. However, it would be unbelievably messy and the chances of getting accurate and reliable results are next to nil. They're just too complex. For example, if you're trying to do multivariate analysis to find correlations between complex and diverse data sets, you can make a scatter plot in Excel, but it's unlikely to yield satisfactory results.

I use both the formula-based input side of it and the more user-friendly side of it, depending on the context. Both of them produce more accurate, reliable, and easy-to-generate results than any other tool that's around. At the same time, SPSS isn't a tool you should use for simple, descriptive analytics.

If you only need to create a bar chart, it's not worth spending the time to clean your data set and go through all the work required to import it into SCSS. While it can obviously do all those functions, it's not designed to make pretty charts. In other words, it's the hardest way to do the simplest of tasks, but it is the easiest way to do the hardest of tasks.

What is most valuable?

SPSS is the way to go if you have data amenable to quantitative analysis, and you need high-accuracy results.

What needs improvement?

SPSS is a tool that's been around since the late 60s, and it's the universal worldwide standard for quantitative social science data analysis. That said, it does seem a bit strange to me that the graphical output functions are so clunky after all these years. The output of charts and graphs that SPSS produces is hideous.

I'll typically take the output data and recreate the chart in Excel. My consultants expect glossy, readable charts, graphs, tables, etc. SPSS has functions to edit and change color, font, spacing, etc., but it's unbelievably fiddly, and I gave up. It just wasn't worth the time. It was way too time-consuming and difficult.

Generally, it's a challenging piece of software to use. IBM claims it is easy to learn, use, and apply, but it's not. There is a steep learning curve, but it's worth the time. You can't just plug any data into SPSS and say "Go." It has to be properly formatted and cleaned before it will be used. I guess it's a professional tool.

In the future, I would like to see some a template tool or a data-screening tool that would assist with identifying where and how a data set needs to be cleaned. It wouldn't have to tell you exactly what you need to do, but it would be helpful to have something that points you to what needs to be done in order to make the data more compatible with SPSS.

I used SPSS Statistics extensively from 2016 until 2019, and then I started using it again in 2021.

I can't think of a time when SPSS ever crashed on me.

SPSS can handle whatever you throw at it, whether your data set contains 10,000, 100,000, or a million objects. It's like the heavy artillery of analytical tools.

SPSS is incredibly easy to set up.

SPSS is an expensive piece of software because it's incredibly complex and has been refined over decades, but I would say it's fairly priced.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM SPSS Statistics nine out of 10. There's a steep learning curve, and you need to take the time to develop the required skills and give yourself enough time to start the process of learning on your own. When IBM advertises how easy it is for you to learn, use and apply, that's true in a sense. However, that's only after you pass the first extremely steep learning curve. Once you understand the basics and get used to it, you can do practically anything with it.

Learning and Development Manager at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Robust solution for quick analysis; needs more automation packages
    • "SPSS is quite robust and quicker in terms of providing you the output."
    • "SPSS slows down the computer or the laptop if the data is huge; then you need a faster computer."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to generally survey results and basic cross-tabulation for any ad hoc requests from key stakeholders. At times, it's a high amount of data but when we run on SPSS, it slows down the computer or the laptop, because if the data is huge, then we need a faster computer. But the corporate computers that we get from our company might not take too much of data load.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite robust. I wouldn't pick one most valuable feature, but everything is quite handy. If you want to do a quick analysis, SPSS is quite robust and quicker in terms of providing the output. Python does take large sets of data, and it has more functionalities, but in terms of quick turnaround, I think SPSS is quite good.

What needs improvement?

From an improvement standpoint, I could compare to PyCharm and see how many other things you can automate things. In PyCharm you use Python and have a lot of packages. SPSS is missing out on some of the packages. In upcoming releases, the solution could be more automated. It should have automation of the packages such as being used in R software and Python packages. They use a tremendous amount of packages. If SPSS can follow that suit, I think it would be very beneficial for SPSS.

I've been working with the solution for more than ten years.

Stability is very good if you have a laptop that has good RAM and a good, powerful laptop, then SPSS can take up really huge amount of data. Otherwise, it slows down the laptop. The limitation is processor issues.

Scalability is also limited, but if you have a high-speed computer, then scalability will be better. But compared to PyCharm and Python and R, it's very limited.

The initial deployment is quite straightforward for SPSS.

What other advice do I have?

I use the solution daily. I use quantitative software for both SPSS and NVivo. I use a lot of functions from SPSS: chi-square, regression analysis, linear regression, multiple regression, cross-tabulation.

SPSS is quicker than comparable software. It starts immediately. For basic and intermediate functions, SPSS is quite good. But once it gets advanced, it's better to use open-source software, like Python and R.

I would rate the solution a seven out of ten, and I would recommend the solution to somebody looking to implement SPSS for statistics for their own organization.

Laurence Moseley - PeerSpot reviewer
    Professor of Health Services Research at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Is stable, easy to install, and can handle large datasets
    • "I've found the descriptive statistics and cross-tabs valuable. The very simple correlations and regressions are as well."
    • "There is a learning curve; it's not very steep, but there is one."

What is our primary use case?

I use it to analyze social and medical data.

What is most valuable?

I've found the descriptive statistics and cross-tabs valuable. The very simple correlations and regressions are as well.

The automated statistics testing and principle components analysis are very useful as well.

I've also found the decision tree elements pretty useful too.

What needs improvement?

IBM SPSS Statistics could be cheaper.

There is a learning curve; it's not very steep, but there is one.

I've been using this solution for about 30 or 40 years.

It's been stable for 40 years.

I've never found a dataset that it couldn't handle, but then, my datasets are mainly, perhaps, about a 100,000 cases. Within that range SPSS Statistics does it very easily.

Technical support staff have been very quick and very good.

Before IBM SPSS Statistics became available, I wrote the code myself in ALGOL, FORTRAN, and BASIC, which were the languages at that time. There was no such thing as a statistics package available then.

For me, the initial setup was completely straightforward. I just downloaded it from the university website.

I was done in under two hours.

We have seen enormous ROI.

It's quite expensive, but they do a special deal for universities. So, I use it through the university.

I looked at SAS and Stata. They just seemed much more cumbersome and difficult to use.

I've used PSPP, the freeware version of SPSS, which is clumsy. However, it still does much the same job, at least, for elementary tasks.

What other advice do I have?

If you do it using the graphical user interface, always click on the save button or paste button, not just the save. For example, if I need to analyze some data before I run it, I set it up using the GUI, I click on paste, and then I run it and save it. When I click paste, it follows all the instructions I've given it in the GUI, but it writes the underlying code. I can save the code, on my disc, and I can get it back later.

This means that you can make your analysis completely replicable. You don't have to redo it, you can just rerun the same program.

I would rate this solution at nine on a scale from one to ten.

LaurenceMoseley - PeerSpot reviewer
    Highly reliable, plenty of features, and simple five-way analysis
    • "The most valuable feature of IBM SPSS Statistics is all the functionality it provides. Additionally, it is simple to do the five-way analysis that you can into multidimensional setup space. It's the multidimensional space facility that is most useful."
    • "IBM SPSS Statistics could improve the visual outputs where you are producing, for example, a graph for a company board of directors, or an advert."

What is our primary use case?

I am using IBM SPSS Statistics mainly for analyzing pieces of research and taking simple cross-tabulations, and then on through the multi-variant analysis. It's most useful with multi-variant. There is so much simplistic nonsense produced by people who always do it by social class and nothing else.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of IBM SPSS Statistics is all the functionality it provides. Additionally, it is simple to do the five-way analysis that you can into multidimensional setup space. It's the multidimensional space facility that is most useful.

What needs improvement?

IBM SPSS Statistics could improve the visual outputs where you are producing, for example, a graph for a company board of directors, or an advert.

I have been using IBM SPSS Statistics since the late 70s or early 80s.

IBM SPSS Statistics is a stable solution.

I have used IBM SPSS Statistics for hundreds of thousands of cases, but not into the millions. It's worked very well. It is scalable.

There are approximately 100 people are using this solution in the university.

I did not set up the solution. I only need to log in to the universities servers page and download it from there.

The price of IBM SPSS Statistics could improve.

The price is a reason one of the reasons why the university chose IBM SPSS Statistics.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is they should get a very small data set, a few hundred cases perhaps, and start off with some frequencies and some cross tabs and build out from there.

I rate IBM SPSS Statistics a nine out of ten.

Founder and General Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Easy to use, overall useful features, and straightforward installation

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for statistical analysis in our organization for many areas, such as regression, the next-best-offer, and some models for marketing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the solution is easy to use, training new users is not difficult, and our usage is comprehensive because the whole service is beneficial.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by providing a visual network for predictions and a self-organizing map for clustering.

I have been using the solution for approximately 10 years.

IBM SPSS Statistics has been stable in our usage.

We used to use the support a long while ago but because we have used the solution for a long time we have not needed to contact them.

The solution is easy to install. We use other tools to deploy the models and we exported the models to other languages, then implement them through the database solutions that our clients have. Most of our clients use either Oracle or SQL but none of them use an IBM solution. The most time-consuming part of the process is preparing the data for modeling.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to be prepared to deal with your data and you most likely will require assistance to help to deploy the models and develop them.

I rate IBM SPSS Statistics an eight out of ten.

Consultant, Intelligent Process Automation at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Very useful for capability analysis, hypothesis testing, and summary stats

What is our primary use case?

We do data collection. We have a data collection plan, and we analyze the data and estimate how we can create capacity within the processes. Afterward, we just hand it out to our development team.

What is most valuable?

Capability analysis is one of the main and valuable functions. We also do some hypothesis testing in Minitab and summary stats. These are the functions that we find very useful.

What needs improvement?

If there is any self-generation data collection plan (DCP), it would be helpful in gathering data. It would also be useful if there is a function to scale it up to, let's say, UiPath and have it consolidate and integrate into a UiPath solution.

I have been using this solution for more than 15 years.

It has some bugs off and on, but nothing has been a roadblock for us.

We have 500 users of this solution. I'm coming from an organization with 40,000 people.

I have not dealt with tech support.

We don't deal with that. The IT guys install it on our computers, and we just run it. That's it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM SPSS Statistics an eight out of ten.

Download our free Data Mining Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Weka, Oracle, and more!
    Updated: September 2022