We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

IBM Maximo OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Maximo is #2 ranked solution in top Enterprise Asset Management tools and top Billing Software. PeerSpot users give IBM Maximo an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Maximo is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: IBM Maximo vs ServiceNow. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is IBM Maximo?
Organizations of all sizes reduce equipment downtime, closely control and track maintenance expenses, cut spare parts inventories.

IBM Maximo was previously known as Maximo.

IBM Maximo Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Maximo Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

IBM Maximo Customers
Royal Boskalis Westminster N.V., DTE Energy, Swedish Match, Projetech, Fingrid, East Coast
IBM Maximo Video

IBM Maximo Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Maximo pricing:
  • "IBM has changed the licensing policy. As I understand now, they are going from a complex way of licensing to a more simple way of licensing."
  • "IBM Maximo offers a licensing application, and you have to comply with the license."
  • "I do not know about the price of the solution. However, this has been an expensive project overall."
  • IBM Maximo Reviews

Chris Lok
    COO / Developer at MaxLogic
    A rare enterprise asset management system with good ROI and helpful technical support
    • "There are not many enterprise asset management systems on the market and not many that have the categories that IBM Maximo has."
    • "IBM is a big company and they have a lot of products. Level One, the first level of tech support, is the one that is used to stop the tsunami. For everyone, it's always work to get past that."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use it for various use cases, but most of them are around either service activation or asset management.

How has it helped my organization?

A lot of our clients use or have used, or are part of businesses that have used Maximo for over an average of around 15 to 20 years.

It's the big capital assets that are managed by the software. A lot of it is in the oil and gas utilities, however, it is also in more service-orientated organizations such as airports, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

There are not many enterprise asset management systems on the market and not many that have the categories that IBM Maximo has. It's a platform that has been here for about 30 years. Currently, the shift to having the ability for customers within the space to move from a legacy structure into a more modern microservice structure that's on the cloud is quite valuable. It gives clients a good journey map to a modern hybrid cloud infrastructure or a little more cloud infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

The solution is expensive and is quite difficult within this space. There's a lot of non-enterprise level asset management systems out there are able that are less expensive.  We're doing it for a hundred dollars per user, per month. With IBM Maximo and especially now Application Suite, that's a bit more difficult as it's grown beyond just asset management. It's now more of an asset performance management system. It's fallen a bit into a different category and has the ability for users to utilize more modern machine learning algorithms, AI-based algorithms on their asset data. From a pricing structured perspective, the list prices are out there. However, if you find the right integrator, then the list prices go down quite a bit.

I've got a pretty good view of the roadmap for the next three years. For us, it looks really exciting. It took IBM a while to get their act together and to merge the new paradigm from Kubernetes, et cetera. There were deployment methods in their Maximo roadmap. From what I can see things like visual inspection, machine learning-based image recognition, et cetera, are all quite exciting spaces and it's quite leading edge. We went a bit from being a glorified works management system, with a lot of capabilities, however, it was quite legacy orientated as in, based on older technology.

I'm in a technology that has been around for 20 years. We're now moving into a stage where it's more bleeding edge. Using all the passwords is now applicable. It's quite a transformation that's happening now. I couldn't really say that I'm missing this or that. The only thing I'd say, and this is coming from a technical person, is that I hope that the change management needed to modify the system is better suited to the customer's needs. It's not allowing us to use the development pipelines and things like that.

The stability is very dependent on your integrator. They can mess things up. We have actually quite a good track record on our managed instances. The one that has been up the longest is eight months or something and has been running without any issue. Basically, it is very stable if it is administered properly.

We run anything from two users to 6,000 users. One of the benefits is that it's very scalable.

We do anything from a small to medium-sized business to global mobiles. The largest logistics company is one of our clients. The largest facilities management company in the world is one of our clients. So is the biggest power plant in the UK. It can work for a managed building around the corner to something with a worldwide reach.

Clients do plan to increase usage. That mostly comes with the new capabilities that are now emerging in the new versions of the product. The use cases are shifting from the asset management system to be an asset performance management system.

IBM is a big company and they have a lot of products. Level One, the first level of tech support, is the one that is used to stop the tsunami. For everyone, it's always a bit of work to get past that. After you do, they're excellent.

That's primarily due to IBM itself as they do so much and they have so many products that the first level at these big companies can be difficult to move up from. We have the same issue with Microsoft, for instance.

We actually switched over quite a few customers from the more niche Focus Asset Management systems. They seem to be disappearing a bit as well as, for example, SAP, which I personally can't really say why as I'm a bit biased.

I'd say it either fits really well for those customers, whatever they're using now, or they are looking for a more APM-focused suite and there's not that many out there really.

For the average user, IBM Maximo comes in a few flavors. The first one is SAS, in which everything is installed for you. That's really simple. You can get it all from IBM's website or from an integrator like us. Then, there's the flash structure where it's more platform as a service. That gives you more ability to modify. Then, you have the infrastructure at the service site, which gets complex. At the same time, I'd say that's the point where usually businesses come to a business like us to actually deal with it.

You can't compare Maximo software, or SAP software or Zendesk, as in, I get a subscription to Zendesk and it runs. Of course, when the processes are supported by Zendesk, you can't really compare it to maintaining a capital asset. Software like SAP Access Management or Maximo gets placed right next to Joe Fix It. However, it's a different ballpark product. Maximo will probably be an expensive solution for a lot of companies. For other companies. They actually use that additional capability. In that case, it's not that expensive.

On average, our clients are up and running within days. That's including their business process integrated into the system. That's a custom deployment. We do it usually with one or two personnel.

Even if we don't look at the full software and we look at smaller use cases within the software, the ROI is often quite substantial. It is driven, of course, however, it's quite easy. A lot of these businesses have fairly inefficient processes. If they're coming from ten people that have their own Excel and you go to a unified system, it is quite easy to make big steps on the road.

It saves a lot of time and resources. Just to give you an example, on our recent project, we were able to reduce their accounts payable staff by 50%. Those people still work there, however, they're in other things. It illustrates what we were able to do.

You have the licensing fee and then you have a yearly service subscription with IBM. That gives you access to the newest version of the software and support services. There's no additional cost to that.

What other advice do I have?

We're a system integrator. We use IBM Maximo every day and we implement it as well.

Whether it's hosted on cloud or on-premises depends on the client. We host it within our own staff host service and we also have on-premise clients. The larger clients often are on-premise.

I'd advise potential new users to get a good integrator. I don't say, come to us, however, get a good integrator that works as a partner. Within this segment, one of the things that people often get wrong is that they think they only need to integrate it for the implementation project. However, get a good integrator that works as a partner and keeps focused on your business needs.

Often we see integrators that are only focused on getting the project done, getting it signed off, and getting their bills paid and they don't really care about what they leave behind and neither does the customer themselves. Everyone is just trying to get their project done.
    That's where enterprise software fails in general. That type of implementation will cost you a lot of money.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Gaizka Elosegi
    IT and Product Manager at Sistpelant
    A great solution for enhancing an asset's lifecycle
    • "We are very thankful to have IBM integrated with our own Legacy cloud-based system"
    • "You can get lost using the application"

What is our primary use case?

We developed our own manufacturing distribution system and management system. We also have experience with AI and machine learning. So, you can imagine, as a company with a manufacturing distribution system and with an asset management system in place, we are very thankful to have IBM integrated with our own Legacy, cloud-based system. We have big customers around the world and we integrate them with many solutions, including IBM Maximo.

We mostly integrate with anything manufacturing related, but we also work closely within administration and banking. So, we have to know these solutions, inside and out, in order to properly integrate them and keep our customers satisfied.

We use IBM Maximo to enhance an asset's lifecycle in an attempt to get the most out of it, but of course, it depends on what you're doing. If you run a bank, you're going to want to maintain certain assets. If you have an inductive environment, then your main assets will often be your greatest concern. So, it all depends on what you're going to use it for, but, at the end of the day, our primary use case is to enhance the lifecycle of the asset we're using.

By enhancing an asset's lifecycle, you're maintaining the term and reducing costs. You can control your work team, but you can't control their skill level; everything that is good revolves around the lifecycle of an element, even if we're talking in terms relating directly to economic gains.

What needs improvement?

IBM Maximo is similar to an ARP. Because it's so massive, you can easily get lost using the application. You need to focus on training the partners and channeling the structure in order to enhance the user experience for the final customers. Deploying IBM Maximo can be really exhausting because, as I mentioned earlier, it's as big as an ARP.

Most of the time, the people working in those environments (even if they don't know how to read data, etc) are trained to focus on maintaining elements and solutions. You cannot give them 25,000 screens with 25 teams and expect them to do everything, even if that would give you plenty of information for further analysis. We're talking about the best asset management solution in the world, so this needs to be taken into practice somehow.

I think the biggest problem is that the application is too big. The solution has plenty of different capabilities, but a lot of the time their partners are not capable enough when it comes to deploying it for their customers; they'll simply just deduce the best they need to. In terms of size, Maximo is a beast, a monster, it's not IBM's fault, I have nothing bad to say about them.

However, there are a few problems that are IBM's fault, but not directly their fault as the solutions are not deployed directly by IBM, they're deployed by the public network. In the end, the partners are the ones working with the final customer, the final customer is the one who inherits that lack of user experience. I think it's more of the partner's fault than IBM's.

Being able to talk to people and understand what they need and adapt their solution in terms of what they need would enhance IBM Maximo. Integrating software, such as Cortana and Google Now would also make the solution more intelligent and easy-to-use. I would also like to see an option to integrate with a new generation architectural modeling solution of your choice, as that would be a good way to enhance the personal experience. People today, are accustomed to seeing graphs and details, so that would go directly to the final user base — directly to the customer.

In regards to the difficulty of use, I think it would be beneficial to have a lightweight solution for smaller companies. Also, better material capabilities relating to prediction would be a good adjustment, because currently, Maximo controls both the corrective maintenance and preventative maintenance; they even control configuration-based maintenance with integration with larger systems, and management systems as well, but maybe they could even go further. The cloud could solve that issue, including any capability issues as well. To be clear, it's already included, but it should be integrated.

I have been using this solution since the creation of our company, even before the product was called IBM Maximo. We were familiar with it before IBM even purchased it. It was developed by another company, but currently, it's IBM's solution and they have been developing it for the past 25 years. So, we have been using this solution for at least 25 years.

In regards to the cloud, I believe there are some scalability issues, but I am not certain. In the end, you're paying for a private or public cloud, so most of the time the problems could be solved with more CPUs, more ram, more space, better connections, better vacancy, and so on. Again, it's not IBM's fault, this is just something that happens when you have a large application.

Eventually, those applications will form a need for everything: for communication, processing, moving, and to retire. So, there could be an issue there, but I am no certain. I don't have separate photographs in front of me depicting 300, 3,000 and 10,000 people using it so that I can evaluate the real output of the consumption and sources.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give IBM Maximo an eight.

Learn what your peers think about IBM Maximo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Computer System Engineer at Informatika d.d.
    Centralized solution that also has connections with external applications
    • "The most valuable features are the ability to create work orders and preventative maintenance."
    • "Initial setup is a longer process because Maximo is bigger and has more processes."

What is our primary use case?

The main use case is for managing electrical company assets. The solution is deployed on-premise.

How has it helped my organization?

It's probably improved by a lot because previously they had a different kind of product. It was okay, but it was based on the old technology and wasn't as centralized as Maximo. Maximo also has connections with external applications.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Maximo is quite a big product, so maybe we don't even know everything that is possible. I see the presentations of new things to come, and I don't see a concern. Whatever a customer needs is pretty much covered.

I have been using this solution for 8 years. The first week of implementation, it was ControlDesk, but then we started with Maximo also. It's the same.

Maximo is stable. There aren't any system performance issues, but in every organization there has to be some because of integrations with different tools and applications. Maximo doesn't crash, but if it does, it's mostly because of integrations or issues with integrations.

The solution is scalable. Altogether, there are about 3,000 people using the solution.

Right now, the solution is being used extensively, but we are expanding usage. We are expanding the applications that we were using at the beginning. So every time we are working with them, let's say the tickets that come into the ControlDesk, part of them are daily issues and some are quick resolve, but part of them are also changes for processes, implementations, and projects like this. The tool is evolving and the processes are evolving and adding up.

Technical support is from IBM.

Before using Maximo, we used our in-house product. At the time, our customers decided to go onto another platform with different tools, so we had to do the migration.

It's pretty much the same as ControlDesk, but maybe a little bit easier, even though it's a bigger tool. From the installation point of view, it's a little bit simpler.

It's a longer process because Maximo is bigger and has more processes. I think it was a year-long project.

A lot of people are needed for maintenance because it's a bigger solution that has more implementations and a lot of configurations. You need at least 10 people for maintenance. We have more implementations of Maximo, which is why we need so many people. If we had only one implementation, then maybe we would need fewer people.

In the beginning, there was an external company that did pretty much everything, but now it's like a share. We do more than 80% and we just need their support for the harder or difficult types of implementation.

The license structure is quite different here, but now it's changing. We are planning to change the model in January 2022 because IBM has changed the licensing policy. As I understand now, they are going from a complex way of licensing to a more simple way of licensing.

IBM hasn't rebranded, but they changed the licensing policy. There are different types of licenses for different types of users. For the different kinds of models they're using in Maximo, they would need to have a certain type of license. Now they have application points. If you are using this module in Maximo, you need to have three points. If you are using this type of product, you need to have four points. It's more simple.

The company also evaluated SAP.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

It's a good tool for what it was built for. For what it represents and what it gives you, it is a very powerful tool.

Maximo - Technical Consultant/Architect/Analyst at a government with 501-1,000 employees
    Excellent technical support, easy to setup, write code and simple to customize
    • "IBM Maximo is the best software for assets management."
    • "There are always ways to improve and make things better."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant. I make use of everything. I was a consultant, and I worked for a variety of companies who were asking for different things to be done, and I did everything, for them. I can't say that there is something, that I didn't do. I was also traveling to the US, and working for IBM in the US.

What is most valuable?

IBM Maximo is the best software for assets management.

What needs improvement?

There are always ways to improve and make things better. It is what I've grown accustomed to. I am taking advantage of everything Maximo has to offer. I'm making use of whatever I can, and if I need to do anything else, I write a custom code.

Every company has specific needs, and you can't generalize for everyone. That is how my work is. I'm working specifically for the company, and when they require something else in addition, that is when I do the customization. Sometimes it could be a Java class, other times it could be an automation script, and it could be just the configuration, it just depends.

My experience with IBM Maximo has been since 2004. I have been familiar with this solution for approximately 17 years.

I always work with the latest version of this solution, as well as WebSphere.

IBM Maximo is the most stable solution that I have ever seen.

I didn't have to deal with technical support. As a consultant, what I was doing was notifying the user that I was working for, sending the description, what log files and description I was sending, and giving them. They were also dealing with technical support. I don't believe they ever had a problem with IBM's technical support.

Everything was fine, but as I was gathering information and delivering it to them. I would always advise them and say, "Okay, this is not something for the first and second levels. It is the third level. You must proceed to the third level, to some developer, and inform him that something is wrong." And, in most cases, they return to resolve the problem. I actually had a conversation with IBM US tech support once. At the time, I was working for an American company with a Canadian office. And, yes, it was fantastic.

I'm mostly using WebSphere. I also use Web Logic at times. I can set up Web Logic for Maximo. It's the same for me. I always use the advanced configuration.

Maximo is an application, and if you want to have it on the web, you need to run it through a web server. WebSphere is a web server, and also an IBM product.

When you purchase Maximo, you get WebSphere for free.

In terms of the initial setup, I have seen some other guys, and what they're doing is not straightforward for them, but everything is straightforward for me. I know exactly, what I am doing.

Everything you need can be found in IBM's documentation on their website.

I didn't get involved with the pricing. I don't know the prices, or how it works. I know how to use licenses in Maximo and check the licenses to ensure that we have not gone over, but I did this for every company for which I worked.

IBM Maximo offers a licensing application, and you have to comply with the license. Otherwise, I have no idea about prices or anything else. I'm not sure how much it costs. I'm not the one looking for prices. I know the software is good, and when something is good, I believe you should pay what it costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM Maximo a ten out of ten.

Shaina Sharma
    Business Analyst at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Leaderboard
    Effective process automation, plenty of functionality, but stability could improve
    • "We were doing all kinds of paperwork for every type of order and to maintain our assets but with the use of the IBM Maximo application, we can automate a lot of the processes."
    • "The solution is not stable. We can have one day when it is stable and another day it is not. Sometimes it crashes or becomes very slow, and there are times we are not even able to download all the databases. Without the database, we cannot work on that application. These are the small glitches, and stability issues we are facing."

How has it helped my organization?

In one a period of one year, we receive lots of work orders. There were lots of paperwork by end of the year. With IBM Maximo we are able to have everything on the computer. If we want to see what kind of service we have done on our assets we only need to go to the Maximo and we can see all the history in front of us. Earlier, everything was on paper, and it was too hard to find out what kind of services and what we did in the past.

What is most valuable?

We were doing all kinds of paperwork for every type of order and to maintain our assets but with the use of the IBM Maximo application, we can automate a lot of the processes.

IBM Maximo is a large piece of software that has lots of functionality. I have not even used it to its full potential.

I have used IBM Maximo within the last 12 months.

The solution is easy to scale, I did not find it not very difficult.

There will be 1,500 people using this solution.

The implementation process is complex. The region has implemented one solution to all nine divisions. It was a global solution to all their problems. When integrating all the legacy systems with IBM Maximo is when the complexity began.

We started the implementation process in 2013 and we are in 2021, it has taken us eight years for the whole process. Next week we are going live and next year we are going to be deploying the project.

The implementation was done by a large team. There are a few stakeholders and users working with us, approximately, nine divisions. We have approximately 20 people from those nine different divisions and our team is another 30 people. Additionally, there are the third-party legacy system team and different directors from different stakeholders. There is a large number of people involved.

The maintenance team will include less than ten individuals and will be assembled soon.

What other advice do I have?

We are planning on receiving an extended or advanced version of IBM Maximo.

It's a nice product and I think it is going to add a lot of value to the region because now they can see all the history. Moreover, they're going to get an automated process.

I recommend IBM Maximo to others.

I rate IBM Maximo a seven out of ten. However, I have never worked on any of the competitive products of IBM Maximo.

Manager OSS & System Admin at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Hosts a powerful database and integrates well with CMDB, but it is complex to set up and difficult to customize
    • "The most powerful features are the database and integration with CMDB."
    • "The interface is not very easy or user-friendly and is in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM Maximo as a service desk. It is primarily used for incident management but also covers service request management, asset management, and other areas.

What is most valuable?

The most powerful features are the database and integration with CMDB.

What needs improvement?

The interface is not very easy or user-friendly and is in need of improvement.

Compared to products like ServiceNow or Jira, it is very difficult to customize Maximo. For example, a layperson is able to customize ServiceNow or Jira to a certain degree, but that is not possible with IBM Maximo. The customizations are code-based and it requires a programmer to do the work.

The licensing model should be much simpler for an organization like us to add more end-users. As it is now, we have to keep looking back at the available licenses.

Maximo has been in use for more than a decade in our company.

This is a stable product.

The scalability is quite good. We have between 2,000 and 3,000 users in the company. Most of them are end-users, although there are a few administrators who can make changes.

The support is not bad because we have a local support team that is available around the clock. We have a local support contract with one of the service providers that offers complete support for a variety of products.

For cases that the local team is not able to handle, we can open up a ticket with the IBM product team and they respond accordingly. Ultimately, in any case, the support is fine.

The company has been using IBM Maximo since before I joined. My understanding is that they were using solutions by HP, including HP Service Desk. However, I do not know the specific reasons for the switch. All I have been told is that HP was more expensive at the time, but there could be other factors involved.

The initial setup is quite complex and it takes a long time. In particular, in our environment, we are using it quite extensively for event and incident management. These are core areas for us and it is a bit complex.

We are considering moving away from IBM Maximo to Jira. We have evaluated both Jira and ServiceNow, and the interfaces are GUI-based, making them easier to use and easier to customize. In general, they are much easier to change and adapt to the end-user requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Senior Software Quality Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Helps in keeping track of and classifying our help desk requests, but the extensive data entry requirements dissuade its use
    • "The incident management feature is good because it allows you to keep track of and classify issues."
    • "I feel that the interface is a little too complicated with a large number of fields to enter."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is logging our help desk requests. It is essential for incident management and request management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I feel that the interface is a little too complicated with a large number of fields to enter. People don't want to enter a lot of information. Rather, they would like to enter the minimum amount of information required to get the work done. Making it more user-friendly may help in this regard.

I have been using IBM Maximo for about two years.

I feel that it is a stable solution.

I have not looked into scalability. Our network team would evaluate scalability if it became an issue. About 60 people are supposed to be using it, although because of the large amount of data entry, I think that many people are just not completing the task.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

I have been looking at Azure as a comparison and I feel that it is a little bit simpler to use.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Maximo is that it is very comprehensive, provided you like to fill in a lot of information. It collects a lot of data and a lot of analysis can be done. However, in our experience, we find that people don't want to do it. If they are grouping jobs then they don't want to enter a lot of information. In this case, entering the minimum is better.

This is the biggest problem that we are facing. There is a lot of work to do and following all of the processes and procedures is time-consuming because of the data entry.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Sr. I.T Architect Specialist with 1-10 employees
    Leaderboard
    Simple scalability, effective management features, and excellent support

What is our primary use case?

I use IBM Maximo for work and asset management.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM Maximo has increased our efficiency by 65%.

What is most valuable?

I have found Work Order management the most valuable feature. Additionally, it is a very robust and powerful solution.

What needs improvement?

This solution could improve by integrating or embedding finances, charts of accounts, and invoicing.

I have been using IBM Maximo for approximately 20 years.

IBM Maximo is stable.

The scalability of IBM Maximo is easy. We have approximately 2,000 administrators and supervisors using this…

What is our primary use case?

I use IBM Maximo for work and asset management.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM Maximo has increased our efficiency by 65%.

What needs improvement?

I have been using IBM Maximo for approximately 20 years.

IBM Maximo is stable.

The scalability of IBM Maximo is easy.

We have approximately 2,000 administrators and supervisors using this solution.

We are extensively using this solution, it is across our whole company.

The technical support is excellent. IBM provides very good support.

I have used solutions previously. However, this solution has many more features.

The initial setup is sometimes complex and other times not. IBM Maximo requires deep knowledge of the product and the platform to do the configuration. It's not straightforward for somebody who is not knowledgeable in IT.

The deployment can take three to six months.

We have approximately five developers, administrators, reporters, and integrators that support this solution.

Within three years you can recover the costs of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM Maximo an eight out of ten.