IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Google Stackdriver OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Stackdriver is #15 ranked solution in APM tools, #17 ranked solution in top Cloud Monitoring Software, and #21 ranked solution in Log Management Software. PeerSpot users give Google Stackdriver an average rating of 8 out of 10. Google Stackdriver is most commonly compared to AWS X-Ray: Google Stackdriver vs AWS X-Ray. Google Stackdriver is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Google Stackdriver?

Google Stackdriver provides powerful monitoring, logging, and diagnostics. It equips you with insight into the health, performance, and availability of cloud-powered applications, enabling you to find and fix issues faster. It is natively integrated with Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services, and popular open source packages. Stackdriver provides a wide variety of metrics, dashboards, alerting, log management, reporting, and tracing capabilities.

Google Stackdriver was previously known as Stackdriver Monitoring, Stackdriver Logging.

Google Stackdriver Customers

Uber, Batterii, Q42, Dovetail Games

Google Stackdriver Video

Google Stackdriver Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Google Stackdriver pricing:
  • "The cost could be lower."
  • "We have a basic standard license without any additional costs."
  • Google Stackdriver Reviews

Director, Function Head, RISK Technology and Change at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Provides visibility into the performance uptime and the overall health of our cloud applications
    • "Provides visibility into the performance uptime."
    • "Lacking sufficient operations documentation."

What is our primary use case?

We use Stackdriver for real-time log management analysis, it provides cloud log in a fully managed service for the GKE requirements. We also use it to collect messages, some events,  metadata and the like from cloud. I'm the director and function head of risk and technology change, and we are customers of Google.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization by reducing latency and also monitoring the costs of GCP usage by using the logging and monitoring features. We've been able to look at it and see the optimal size of infrastructure and figure out costing. That's a good site outcome, other than the regular application monitoring that we get.

What is most valuable?

Stackdriver provides visibility into the performance uptime and the overall health of the cloud applications that we have.

What needs improvement?

I think given it's a new application, a new solution on the block, operations documentation could be a bit better. It took us some time to get up and running with it. It would have been helpful if they had provided some migration tools. For example, you're never going to get away from Genius. We have to do most of the work manually. The tools would have helped us to migrate scripts from other well-known software products and other management tools for Stackdriver. A helpful feature would be for them to improve cost transparency.
    Application Performance Management (APM)
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Google, Datadog, Dynatrace and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: June 2022.
    608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We've been using this solution for the past six months.

I believe the solution is stable, we haven't had any problems.

The solution provides observability at scale which is good. For now, we're still in pilot mode but plan to increase usage in the next phase.

We switched from Genius to Stackdriver because we went from an in-house platform to Google Cloud providers. We needed a performance solution that was on cloud.

The initial setup is not complex but it would have been better if they had a few tools to help migrate off the Legacy platforms that we use. Deployment took a few weeks and we did it ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

If you're moving to GCP, then Stackdriver is the right way to go. However, if you're moving to a different platform that's not GCP, Stackdriver may not integrate with it well. I would rate the solution higher but because we had some initial hiccups I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud
    Rizal Muhammad - PeerSpot reviewer
    Infrastructure/Cloud Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Very good technical support
    • "Google's technical support is very good."
    • "While we are satisfied with the overall performance, in certain cases we must add additional metrics and additional tools like Grafana and Dynatrace."

What needs improvement?

While we are satisfied with the overall performance, in certain cases we must add additional metrics and additional tools like Grafana and Dynatrace

We would like to improve the application log. Most of these logs are derived from Grafana and not from Google Stackdriver.

The application locker should be addressed.

We have been using Google Stackdriver from the beginning, since 2019.

Google's technical support is very good.

In addition to Google Stackdriver, we use Dynatrace, Grafana and Kibana.

We use all of these solutions in a complementary manner, for different purposes.

The cost could be lower. When it comes to the cost component in cloud, it is problematic that we are only in a position to know how much we must pay upon arrival of the invoice after 15 days.

What other advice do I have?

Google Stackdriver is all about activity. If one switches from, say, Grafana or another performance and monitoring application, it takes time to adjust one's expectations. All the items desired are present, but these must first be configured.

I rate Google Stackdriver as an eight-and-a-half out of ten.

Application Performance Management (APM)
    June 2022
    608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    AnandPatel - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Specialist at LTI - Larsen & Toubro Infotech
    A cloud computing systems management service with a useful monitoring feature

What is our primary use case?

I use Google Stackdriver for support monitoring.

What is most valuable?

I like the monitoring feature.

What needs improvement?

It could be more stable.

I have been working with Google Stackdriver for about two and a half years.

Google Stackdriver is a stable product, but there is some lagging we cannot stop.

Scalability is very straightforward. We had five or six users using this solution at that time.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's not a complex one.

We implemented this solution ourselves.

We have a basic standard license without any additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that the current version is much nicer than the previous one.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Google Stackdriver an eight.

Google
    Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Google, Datadog, Dynatrace, and more!
    Updated: June 2022