F5 BIG-IP DNS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

F5 BIG-IP DNS is the #4 ranked solution in top Domain Name System (DNS) Security tools. PeerSpot users give F5 BIG-IP DNS an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. F5 BIG-IP DNS is most commonly compared to Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection: F5 BIG-IP DNS vs Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection. F5 BIG-IP DNS is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.

Download the Domain Name System (DNS) Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is F5 BIG-IP DNS?

F5® BIG-IP® DNS distributes DNS and user application requests based on business policies, data center and cloud service conditions, user location, and application performance. BIG-IP DNS is commonly configured as a full proxy to provide global server load balancing (GSLB) for applications and DNS across architectures, and across the globe.

The BIG-IP platform delivers DNS services with visibility, reporting, and analysis; scales and secures DNS responses geographically to survive increased traffic or threats; delivers a real-time DNSSEC solution; designed to provide availability of global applications in all cloud environments.

F5 BIG-IP DNS was previously known as F5 BIG-IP DNS, F5 DNS Delivery.

F5 BIG-IP DNS Customers

Ricacorp Properties, Bangladesh Post Office, Shawbrook Bank, Shinsegae Internet Duty Free

F5 BIG-IP DNS Video

F5 BIG-IP DNS Pricing Advice

What users are saying about F5 BIG-IP DNS pricing:
  • "They are competitively priced."
  • "In some cases, it is expensive."
  • "Cost is a factor. It is really costly."
  • "The on-prem version is only available on a yearly license, but the cloud version can be paid for on a day-by-day basis."
  • "BIG-IP DNS is more expensive than its competitors like Citrix, but it gives good value for money."
  • F5 BIG-IP DNS Reviews

John Edwards - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager Cyber Security at Dept. of the Premier and Cabinet
    Rock-solid solution in terms of stability with great tech support
    • "F5 BIG-IP DNS has been rock solid in terms of stability for years."
    • "It would be great to see a F5 BIG-IP DNS cloud version. What we within the Australian government are looking at doing is utilizing a secured DNS service much the same as the English GCHQ version of their protected DNS service."

What is our primary use case?

One of our primary use cases for F5 BIG-IP DNS is local traffic management. We also use the LTM module, application services, load balancer, and advanced firewall. F5 BIG-IP DNS is a secure web gateway.

What needs improvement?

It would be great to see a F5 BIG-IP DNS cloud version. What we within the Australian government are looking at doing is utilizing a secured DNS service much the same as the English GCHQ version of their protected DNS service. That's a fully-managed external platform and it's used by multiple government agencies, so we get a better holistic view of all malicious DNS traffic that is occurring.

We have been using F5 BIG-IP DNS for about six years, although we are looking at migrating off to a central government-provided DNS upstream service. We are doing this because we have adopted a cloud-only policy.

F5 BIG-IP DNS has been rock solid in terms of stability for years.

Domain Name System (DNS) Security
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about F5, Infoblox, Cisco and others in Domain Name System (DNS) Security. Updated: November 2022.
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have not had to scale it much as our internal infrastructure was small. We have 1,000 individuals using F5 BIG-IP DNS.

The tech support is always great.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It took us about six months to get it all bolted down and working as we expected it to. It was relatively simple for us to launch.

We received a bit of external support from F5 – from one of the channel partners here in Western Australia, but it was relatively simple to turn on in-house.

Moreover, once we set it up, the ongoing maintenance turned out to be relatively small.

One a scale of one to five, with one being expensive and five being adequately priced, I would give this solution a four. However, the solution we are migrating to is free.

We did not evaluate other options because when we picked up the BIG-IP package, we wanted to implement a number of things, and DNS is a bonus blade that we picked up. Therefore, we didn't do a full evaluation because what we were buying for was more like ASM module and the load balancing features out of that BIG-IP box. We just picked up DNS as a subsequent bonus.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would give F5 BIG-IP DNS an eight as a solution overall.

SRI GANESH  PHANIYAPPA - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sub Divisional Engineer NOC Bangalore at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Reasonably priced, feature-rich, with responsive and knowledgeable technical support
    • "The security features, DDoS mitigation facilities, and SQL configuration are the most valuable aspects of this solution."
    • "CNC (control and command) communication would be beneficial. We would like to have control and command blocking to prevent visiting malicious websites."

What is our primary use case?

For caching purposes, we use F5 BIG-IP DNS.

What is most valuable?

The data mitigation is very good.

What needs improvement?

They only have a few sub-vendors, but competition for the reduced-price listing has increased.

This one requires a few more vendors who can join the F5 network.

In my opinion, brand recognition can be increased. I would like them to focus on marketing and brand awareness.

In India, for example, the product is not well known, and it is difficult to find F5 partners or vendors.

It's not widely known.

The weakness is that extensive training is required to hire the people who need to work on the project. Training is only part of it, the other is marketing, where and whom to approach.

I would like them to concentrate on training sessions or educational webinars to educate the users and customers.

We are only trained after we have installed it. The training was provided during the deployment.

The main point is that intelligence will be infused into this panel. The product server is prevented from accessing a malicious server site. CNC (control and command) communication would be beneficial.

We would like them to have a prevention feature included, to prevent them from visiting these websites.

We have been using F5 BIG-IP DNS for three or four years.

F5 BIG-IP DNS is a stable solution.

F5 BIG-IP DNS is a scalable product.

Technical support is quick to respond and knowledgeable.

I would rate the technical support a three or four out of five.

We are not using any other products. We are only using F5 BIG-IP DNS.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I would rate the initial setup a three or four out of five.

We have preventive maintenance every six months. We have a team of two people to maintain this solution.

We had assistance from a third-party consultant.

They are competitively priced.

I would rate the price a four out of five. I don't have any issues with the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate F5 BIG-IP DNS a nine out of ten.

Domain Name System (DNS) Security
    November 2022
    656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    System Engeneer at CROC
    Secure, powerful load-balancing capabilities, and offers packet parsing functionality
    • "F5 provides us with a mechanism to accomplish complex product balancing."
    • "I would like to see more marketing documentation, rather than technical documentation."

What is our primary use case?

F5 BIG-IP DNS is used for global load balancing.

What is most valuable?

F5 provides us with a mechanism to accomplish complex product balancing.

What needs improvement?

Hand management and working with rules are two areas that need to be improved.

It would be beneficial to have information and categorize it for licensing, features, and what is included in which license. I would like to see more marketing documentation, rather than technical documentation.

I have been working with F5 BIG-IP DNS for five years.

F5 BIG-IP DNS is more stable than Loadbalancer and Citrix.

F5 BIG-IP DNS is easy to scale. I don't have any issues with the scalability of F5 BIG-IP DNS.

If I am not mistaken, I don't have any support cases.

I have experience with Citrix, Kemp, Barracuda, Cisco, Loadbalancer.org, and NGINX.

I  use LTM, and my colleagues have set up an access manager, DNS, and other security features. LTM is used for local load balancing.

In most cases, I work with ADC and my colleagues work with the security, we divide the work.

The initial setup varies depending on the scenario. Generally, it requires some knowledge.

In some cases, it is expensive. F5 BIG-IP DNS doesn't provide the best prices for new or small customers.

What other advice do I have?

We recommend it for customers who have complex product balancing requirements. For example, if a customer needs to parse network packets and needs to change them.

We are partners with both F5 BIG-IP and Loadbalancer.org.

I would rate F5 BIG-IP DNS an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Head of Infrastructure division at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    A complex yet powerful solution
    • "F5 BIG-IP DNS is useful, depending on how you use it."
    • "I would like to see the login facilities improved, as well as more troubleshooting."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest version of FS BIG-IP. We use the solution for classic reverse proxy authentication. We have approximately 800 internal staff and 2,000 external customers using the solution.

What is most valuable?

F5 BIG-IP DNS is useful, depending on how you use it. Once you write to it, you can do anything you want from it, making it a very powerful solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution is complicated to use. It is difficult to write to. F5 BIG-IP DNS is powerful but challenging to use.

I have been working with F5 BIG-IP DNS for two and a half years.

The solution is stable.

I have not scaled F5 BIG-IP, it is only a single-box solution.

Prior to using F5 BIG-IP, we used PMG. We switched because PMG was at end of life.

The initial set up of F5 BIG-IP DNS is complex. It took approximately six months to deploy.

We implemented the solution through consultants. We are still using the consultants, so we will need to add someone to our team to handle future deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone deciding to implement F5 BIG-IP DNS should be aware that it is a complex and powerful product.

I would rate this solution an 8 out of 10.

Sr. Technical Specialist at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Secure, easy to administer, and the speed of operations is good

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is DNS security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are DNS security and the speed of operations.

It is easy to administer.

What needs improvement?

Pricing could be reduced.

Scalability is a concern, it could be improved.

I have been working with F5 DNS Delivery for approximately two and a half years.

We are working with version 13.

It's a very stable device.

It is not highly scalable because it's an appliance.

Scalability is a concern, and it needs improvement.

Most of the people in our company are using this solution.

Technical support is good. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to set up.

We have a group of 15 administrators to maintain this solution.

Cost is a factor. It is really costly.

Price is an area that can be improved.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution, I would recommend using this solution.

Onur Pinargozu - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network & Security Specialist at Infrasis
    Excellent DNS monitoring and global service load balancing

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use BIG-IP DNS to create business recovery scenarios.

What is most valuable?

BIG-IP DNS's best features are DNS monitoring and global service load balancing.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be easier.

I've been using BIG-IP DNS for four and a half years.

BIG-IP DNS is stable.

BIG-IP DNS is scalable.

I'm not happy with F5's technical support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup was complex.

What other advice do I have?

BIG-IP DNS is easy to deploy as you can just log in to F5 and request free trial licenses, and the Virtual Edition can be deployed on public and on-prem cloud. I would rate BIG-IP DNS nine out of ten.

PhanTuan-Loi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Security Specialist at TCB
    Good value for money and great traffic management

What is our primary use case?

I use BIG-IP DNS to replace our DNS servers.

What is most valuable?

BIG-IP DNS's best feature is the Global Traffic Manager (GTM).

I've been working with BIG-IP DNS for six to eight years.

BIG-IP DNS is stable.

F5's technical support responds a little slowly.

The initial setup was easy and took around two days.

What other advice do I have?

I would give BIG-IP DNS a rating of nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Download our free Domain Name System (DNS) Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about F5, Infoblox, Cisco, and more!
    Updated: November 2022