Couchbase OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Couchbase is the #4 ranked solution in top NoSQL Databases. PeerSpot users give Couchbase an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Couchbase is most commonly compared to MongoDB: Couchbase vs MongoDB. Couchbase is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the NoSQL Databases Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Couchbase?

At Couchbase, we believe data is at the heart of the enterprise. We empower developers and architects to build, deploy, and run their most mission-critical applications. Couchbase delivers a high-performance, flexible and scalable modern database that runs across the data center and any cloud. Many of the world’s largest enterprises rely on Couchbase to power the core applications their businesses depend on.

Couchbase Customers

Amadeus, Cisco, Comcast, LinkedIn, GE

Couchbase Video

Couchbase Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Couchbase pricing:
  • "We estimate that it's not very expensive, however, the pricing that you can get from the account managers, e.g. the public pricing, could be a bit expensive."
  • "The price of this solution is better than some of the other competitors."
  • Couchbase Reviews

Chief Technology Officer at a comms service provider with 1-10 employees
    Stable cloud database that offers lower latency and good caching
    • "The principal advantage of Couchbase is that we can have multiple database paradigms in the same product, without deploying multiple databases. We also like that it has lower latency, when compared to its competitor: Cassandra."
    • "We would like to have a better management of Kubernetes with the free, open source version of Couchbase. We don't have any major complaints other than that."

What is our primary use case?

We're using Couchbase for general purposes and for caching.

What is most valuable?

The principal advantage of Couchbase for us is that we can have multiple database paradigms in the same product, without deploying multiple databases.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have a better management of Kubernetes with the free, open source version of Couchbase. We don't have any major complaints other than that.

We've been dealing with Couchbase just very recently, approximately two months now.

NoSQL Databases
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Couchbase, MongoDB, Apache and others in NoSQL Databases. Updated: November 2022.
    654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Couchbase seems to be a stable product.

Couchbase does have an open source version, but it has some problems for deploying in Kubernetes, so we are thinking of going with the commercial version. We estimate that it's not very expensive, however, the pricing that you can get from the account managers, e.g. the public pricing, is a bit expensive.

We were able to evaluate Cassandra. When comparing the two: Couchbase is more general purpose, and it has a smaller latency, while Cassandra is easier to manage with the open source version in cluster environments.

What other advice do I have?

We have only tested deployment for Couchbase. It's just in POC, so it's still too early to tell if the deployment is easy or complex, until we have deployed it in a production environment. It's currently not deployed fully.

We hope that Couchbase is scalable, as there are some studies that we have seen that mention its scalability, but as it's only in POC now, it's still difficult to know for sure.

We have not interacted with technical support yet, so I'm not able to give an evaluation for Couchbase support.

For now, I cannot say if I would recommend this product to others. It's still too early, e.g. it's better if we use it for more months, so we can have more information about it.

I'm rating Couchbase nine out of ten. I didn't give it a perfect score because the implementation schemas need to be improved, and we don't have much data currently.

RexChang - PeerSpot reviewer
    President at YCL
    Reseller
    Responsive technical support, thorough documentation, and reliable
    • "The valuable features of Couchbase are the many documents and index types, and they made a lot of features available enabling us to use it as a complete solution for our needs."
    • "There are some limitations to the database. The SQL database cannot handle real-time processing for critical IoT scenarios. What we have to do is store our data into the database then code it out, this wastes a lot of time."

What is our primary use case?

In our current project, we use this solution in the healthcare field for the telemedical industry and in other projects in the automation industry.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features of Couchbase are the many documents and index types, and they made a lot of features available enabling us to use it as a complete solution for our needs.

What needs improvement?

There are some limitations to the database. The SQL database cannot handle real-time processing for critical IoT scenarios. What we have to do is store our data into the database then code it out, this wastes a lot of time.

We have recently started using the solution.

The solution has been reliable and stable.

We have not attempted to scale the solution at this time because we are a large company that needs more security. We are in the early stages of integrating DTS technology, our chosen security solution, once implemented we will begin scaling Couchbase.

The technical support has been responsive and they provide good support.

The installation could be difficult for some engineers that are brand new to the implementation because the reference documents are much harder to find than other solutions, such as MongoDB.

For the cloud-based solution, there are a number of options available when it comes to the frequency of license payments. You can purchase a license monthly, quarterly, and annually. Since our project includes IoT from another solution this pricing model could be complicated for us.

The price of this solution is better than some of the other competitors.

I have evaluated MongoDB and it is lacking some features that Couchbase has making it a complete solution. With MongoDB, we would need another solution to work alongside it to function the same as Couchbase.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Couchbasean eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Download our free NoSQL Databases Report and find out what your peers are saying about Couchbase, MongoDB, Apache, and more!
    Updated: November 2022