We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

ControlUp Real-time OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ControlUp Real-time is #29 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give ControlUp Real-time an average rating of 10 out of 10. ControlUp Real-time is most commonly compared to eG Enterprise: ControlUp Real-time vs eG Enterprise. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 20% of all views.
What is ControlUp Real-time?
ControlUp Real-Time enable you to get the end-user’s perspective through a panoramic view of your environment - all hosts, virtual and physical servers, desktops and users, including sessions and processes.

Easily monitor and manage performance through ControlUp Real-time's actionable dashboard to resolve issues more quickly. And then analyze real business activity and the health of your VDI environment through automated reports and industry insights.

Download the IT Infrastructure Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

ControlUp Real-time Customers

B/E Aerospace, North Carolina SECU, Vancouver Island Health Authority, University of Florida

ControlUp Real-time Video

ControlUp Real-time Reviews

Chair, IEEE Consumer Technology Society - Dallas,Texas, USA at a non-profit with 10,001+ employees
Makes us leaner through automation and optimization of processes
  • "Security, uptime, and reduced capital expenditures are the main reasons we use ControlUp. So basically, the money that we consume is based on the amount of time we are using a service."
  • "Integration is always a problem, and we feel that we are doing our best and the service provider thinks they are doing their best. I guess if ControlUp's system could be more capable or if people could understand the integration part, that would be better."

What is our primary use case?

The use cases are technically things that can be easily virtualized and offered as a service on a public cloud. For example, we can use some services like software as a service on the public cloud. However, we can't do this with other services, like the legacy system of an IBM mainframe, some old databases, or some applications that we cannot transfer. So the capabilities of the legacy system determine what we can do.

How has it helped my organization?

We have developed our own KPIs and based on those, we can see the productivity of MTTR measured in the time between failures, recovery time, and flexibility. We can see productivity in terms of manual work that has been automated. So ControlUp makes us leaner through automation and optimization of the processes.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the public cloud, ControlUp's features make us feel very secure. Security, uptime, and reduced capital expenditures are the main reasons we use ControlUp. So basically, the money that we consume is based on the amount of time we are using a service. ControlUp offers a return-on-investment type of approach that helps us.

What needs improvement?

Integration is always a problem, and we feel that we are doing our best and the service provider thinks they are doing their best. I guess if ControlUp's system could be more capable or if people could understand the integration part, that would be better. The service providers feel that this might be some inherent deficiency on our end, and I think this is their problem. So I believe integration is one issue. Everybody is looking for a seamless transition, so integration needs to be very seamless. Also, everything should be more automated and visible, so we have a key performance indicator or something that we can quickly evaluate. If those types of things are available in the solution, it'll be easier for us to make decisions. And it'll be better for the service providers to market their products because they can say that these are the most significant features or these are the essential aspects.

I've been working in security for the last 20 years.

We do have a quality assurance department and a performance department that reviews all those types of things. They have a set of criteria for the system, including errors, false positives, false negatives, and system downtime. They also have the criteria for change management, including patches and updates. So there are multiple key performance indicators, and based on that, they come up with a report that shows this is very stable or unstable or needs to replace a wrong or right decision.

But stability is a relative term. We want everything to be error-free and crystal clear, but there is always a gray area. And the gray area is that the service provider comes up with software updates, new features, or feedback from other customers, and they implement it in our system too. So it's a moving target even if it's a turnkey project. And I believe it's turnkey, but the product is not mature, whoever the vendor is. So, for example, let's say you are the vendor, and I believe you guys are not fully functional. I know that the solution is 90 percent functional, and 10 percent can be modified, but it looks like they are just trying to learn like us. I may be a little bit paranoid or a perfectionist, or maybe I'm on the extreme side of Six Sigma, where I want 99.99999 percent, or I don't want to pay. So stability is a crucial factor, but we compromise based on our budget constraints. At the end of the day, you get what you paid for.

Scalability is also another trap. Say, for example, we initially established a master service agreement that says we need to do this much work, and it covers three years. And over three years, we are locked in because the new features and services mean the rate will be higher. So we could end up at a point where we have to ditch ControlUp for another company that can give us a better bargain. So there needs to be some long-term planning regarding scalability. You need to have 5 to 10 years of visibility to know on the first day what your partnership will be with the client in the long term. You need to predict constraints, features, or costs two years from now. Take Oracle, for example. If you have the Oracle system database for expansion, you need to pay any licensing fees. So what may happen, that company may use Oracle for some things and IBM for others.

Scalability is a tricky thing. It's up to ClontrolUp to figure out how to handle it. The solution should be scalable to retain a client in the long run rather than a short-term benefit. If you get a short-term benefit, maybe you can make money on the client's first 100 clients. However, you may not make money from the next 100 clients because your price is so high that the client switches.

I think this is related to our strategy. At this point, things are changing because of COVID. There are so many projects on hold, but we randomly get new projects because of remote work and those types of constraints. We reevaluate our scale regularly. I can't say it's every quarter, but the senior management must reassess what they should do and prioritize based on need. We had an ideal vision and a definitive strategy two years back, but now this strategic plan is tied to the short-term tactical plan. We're thinking about what is essential to do right now, rather than the plan we set several years back.

After-sales support based on the warranty or SLA that we agreed on is another thing they can improve. I would prefer a service provider who gives me peace of mind although it'll cost me, and we have a limited budget, and you might say, "We cannot do this thing." ControlUp will do more business and get more customers if it can raise its integration expertise and become more very flexible.

In terms of support, there are two constants in the field. One is technical know-how. There are older technicians who have been on the job for 20 or 30 years. Often they are reluctant to change themselves or it's hard for them to adopt virtualization or different kinds of new technologies. So it is an inherent deficiency from the customer side.

The reason we switched to ControlUp boils down to flexibility and cost. Miscommunication is another factor. By that, I mean there are disagreements because we assume something and the other party assumes something else. So I think it's a fight-or-flight type of situation right now. Maybe you can get a contract today for two years, and after two years, perhaps our expectation is too high or maybe your expectation is so high, and the market is very fluid right now. There are so many complete solutions coming up with different offerings, so a client switches.

The initial setup is complex because they have the template. For example, say you are the service provider with a template or some use cases for another retail store or another customer. Your engineer, architect, or solution manager thinks that people like this, but one size doesn't fit all. So you are customer support or pre-sale support, and you're helping a retail customer like Coles, JCPenney, or Starbucks. It's possible that the Starbucks template might be helpful for Dunkin' Donuts, but Dunkin' Donuts might have a distinct set of constraints.

First, we did the pilot program in one geographical area because we operate all over the United States. So our strategy was first to do the pilot then deploy on a regional basis in the Northeast region, like New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut, or in Northwest California and Nevada over the next three years. It will be in phases, but there will be a pilot first. However, sometimes a vendor will go above and beyond during the pilot just to get the contract. But when it comes time for the real thing, they say, "It was something different we were not expecting." We believe that in a pilot, you need to deal with all kinds of scenarios. So maybe it's our fault that in the pilot, the salesperson came to us and we gave them our answer, and he made the pilot. But I think the project's integration should be seamless from end to end, whether you blame me or you blame yourself. The critical thing is that if you blame the customer, the customer is not happy in the end. Customers are not willing to work. They are not very proactive or agile. Customers are not like salespeople, who are providing the product. You are selling your product, so your mindset is different from the customer mindset.

For deployment, we usually do a partnership with the vendors. So they handle about 75 to 80 percent of the deployment, and after deployment, we are responsible for 100 percent. But this depends on the footprint. It depends on the whole scope in that region, area, or department — in that enterprise section of a business unit. But we always have issues with the operation. That's why we try to automate more. Operationally, staffing is a constraint for us, so we want less and less manual intervention.

There are several scenarios for deployment. In one scenario, we prefer some managed service provider or integrator from our pre-qualified list. For example, there is a procurement department, and they have a preferred vendor or something like that. So they approach them and do some pre-implementation, or sometimes we go out of the box, or we go for some other new venture with a new vendor. In another scenario, we may hire a consulting company to assess where we are and what we need to do. For example, there are some regulations that we have to comply with under the California Consumer Privacy Act. We can hire a company who can help us with compliance. We know what we have to do, but we employ a consulting company to help us and even interview us to make sure that we don't make mistakes. Even we interview ourselves and assess ourselves, but having an extra set of eyes is safer.

ROI is relative. I cannot disclose any specific figures, but I can detail our approach to ROI. When we made our contractual agreement, we set some baseline expectations. And if those are met, we are okay. But if we deviate from those benchmarks, then it is a problem. If that's the case, it's better to switch to a different vendor because this vendor is not delivering as promised. So for us, we expect everything that is in our scope, and if the vendor twists it around and says, "No, this is not the case," then this is a gray area. And I think it should be black and white. Although from the customer side, it's better for me to make things gray to get as much service from the vendor.

I think our license is yearly, and there's a limitation on the number of licenses that we agree to. It's somehow related to the number of licenses, but I think everything is consolidated in the annual agreement. They always come up with a new story or something that isn't covered or that these facilities we are asking for are not part of the initial agreement. So there are some hidden charges and some service charges that we were not aware of at the time of the agreement. It's not a one-time deal that was settled when we signed the contract. It is a two-year contract for a certain amount then there are hidden service and maintenance charges along with some extraordinary root cause analysis issues. For example, when we have some problems, we go to the vendor, and they say, "We can do up to this much, but if you want further, it'll cost person-hours, then you need to pay."

There was a whole process. First, there's a request for proposals and a proof of concept. They evaluated different vendors according to some baseline criteria for the system and features we must have. And based on those essential criteria, the procurement department assessed and considered a shortlist of providers according to features, return on investment, service-level agreement, and the expansion plan.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ControlUp Real-Time eight out of 10. I think from the customer side, you need to know what you want and have a clear idea of the scope so that there isn't scope creep. From the standpoint of a service provider, you should articulate your questions or your questionnaires or talk with a customer. It should be enough that the customer doesn't say after three months they weren't asked. Your questions should be very agile and open-ended so you will know inside out when you assess any proposal. But at that time, what happened? The salesperson went, "We just need to get the purchase order." It's okay that you got a purchase order, but if I work for a company, I will always be on the other side of the fence. I will never represent any manufacturer or something, but I believe that their mindset is focused on the account. Their mindset is centered on the purchase order, and I think it's good that you have a purchase order or that you won the account, but the important thing is that scope should be well defined from your perspective when you have the scope.

A customer may not tell you everything, and then you've dug yourself into a deep hole where you won't foresee an integration issue happening. And you have no clue, and you are saying, "We will see." And the customer said, "We need to complete this task by this date." So everyone needs a well-defined scope written down at the outset. It will save you from haggling later on because something needs to be descoped. Customers will not say that "You need to do this thing. You already show that this was another part of the scoping."

Hybrid Cloud
VP Virtualisation and Citrix Engineer at BlackRock
User
Great for troubleshooting and reporting with a controller that allows for configuration comparisons
  • "The script-based actions have allowed us to extend the core reporting capabilities."
  • "Solve is a quick and intuitive tool for quickly mapping data together, however, once you have the view of the data that you like, it is difficult to share this with colleagues."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case was for our 17,000 Citrix 1912 LTSR and VMWare ESXi stateful VDIs. We're leveraging ControlUp to monitor, report, and carry out basic automated remediations at every level of the stack - from the edge through the Citrix Gateways down to OS level.

Ultimately, we needed a tool that had insights into the data and could present it in a way that was easy to digest and allowed us to make it available to all levels of support within our organization. We have since extended this to all 40,000+ Windows devices we operate.

How has it helped my organization?

The Solve interface has provided us the ability to view our entire estate including physical devices in a single pane of glass. This has transformed the way we approach the troubleshooting and reporting of our estate.

The ControlUP console allows us to delegated tasks "to the left" - i.e. democratize the data to members of the support organisation that wouldn't normally have access to all of the data required to correlate all of the information.

We have enabled the triggers linked to script-based actions to resolve a handful of our repeat tasks, specifically our start-of-week checks making sure all the VDIs are registered and ready to be used.

What is most valuable?

Solve is quickly becoming one of the most-used features. Its interface allows us to connect to all 54,000 monitored endpoints in real-time.

The script-based actions have allowed us to extend the core reporting capabilities. Combined with the triggers, we have been growing their usage to fix things before they become an issue.

Lastly, the controller view allows us to compare the configurations of settings side-by-side which is extremely helpful when tracking down the RCA of an issue.

What needs improvement?

Solve is a quick and intuitive tool for quickly mapping data together, however, once you have the view of the data that you like, it is difficult to share this with colleagues. Being able to send a deep link of the view that you have created or, even better, being able to export the results to a .CSV to be shared offline would be a fantastic addition to the tool.

A concept like metadata that can be appended to objects in the ControlUP database would allow for more flexibility in grouping that data together

I've used the solution for two and a half years.

We have had a good level of service in regard to stability. Like all tools in this space, they do have issues with the volumes of data at times. However, with proactive monitoring, we are made aware of issues in a timely manner.

With Solve, the product is easily able to scale to our 40,000+ endpoints. However, the original console is limited to around 3,000 devices being monitored at a time. As they migrate more functionality into the web console (Solve) most of my concerns with scalability will fall away.

Customer service and support have been responsive and are a real asset to the experience. It has improved during our usage of the product.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We did use a different product. The previous solution wasn't intuitive, and, as a result, adoption by the support teams was stunted.

From the end of the PoC to fully deployed in production we took just six months. For decent adoption, it required a further six months.

The product is very straightforward especially if you have a clear idea how you want to structure the machines you will be monitoring and who will be given access.

We handled the solution's setup in-house

I have found ControlUP to be more than competitive in terms of value.

We also evaluated Nexthink, Goliath, EG Innovations, OpenSource, VMware, and Citrix Insights.

What other advice do I have?

The company has been responsive to our requests for features and seems to be very agile in developing new features and content. They have been very transparent with their development processes.

Other
Find out what your peers are saying about ControlUp, eg Innovations, Goliath Technologies and others in IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Updated: January 2022.
566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Citrix Remote Access Engineer at Rabobank
User
Offers a free trial, is easy to set up, and has helpful historical reporting
  • "Integration with Netscaler and Scoutbees can provide a proper end-to-end analysis of the user's experience and give us a real ROI."
  • "We'd like to see the mobile app working again so that we can get alerts 24/7. This is especially useful for the person on call."

What is our primary use case?

We have nearly 10000 Citrix VDIs on our estate and native tooling cannot provide the high and low level monitoring that we require. We wanted a tool that could not only provide a granular view of our infrastructure but also assist with its administration. We looked at other competitors, however, the power, usability and value of ControlUp made it the obvious choice.

Having a central console with granular security makes administration simple and yet powerful. We are able to delegate control to the teams that need access to specific areas and can also create read-only views for non-admins.

How has it helped my organization?

With ControUp, we got the monitoring we needed and more. For one thing, we love the automatic remediation which enables us to free up resources that aren't used. This saves us from having to constantly get involved and make manual changes.

When VDI hasn't been used for x number of days we can simply shut them down - something that an on-prem deployment would normally require manual intervention for.

We can also see issues often before our users complain. Log-on times, for example, are a great barometer of customer satisfaction. When these go up we know there are issues, and, using ControlUp, we are only ever a couple of clicks away from determining the root cause.

We also like the scores that it gives our estate (which can be tailored) so we can instantly see where we have issues.

What is most valuable?

The high-level view of the estate coupled with powerful administration tools has been great. We can see real-time performance and trends and can create triggers for common issues with associated scripts that can automate a lot of the previous manual remediation steps.

Historical reporting is also really useful. Being able to go back in time to see exactly what was happening at the time of an outage or even just to analyse which applications are being used or to get capacity suggestions straight from the Insights console it very useful.

The support from ControlUp is also very responsive and professional.

What needs improvement?

We'd like to see the mobile app working again so that we can get alerts 24/7. This is especially useful for the person on call.

I particularly like the monthly Advisory Teams meeting that have been arranged recently. They offer valuable insights into the direction of the company and give us users a chance to express our thoughts and provide real direction to the company.

One area that I do think would be of benefit would be a monthly email from Insights offering a summary of trends and potentially where we can afford to cut back on CPU and RAM.

I've used the solution for four years.

I find it to be very stable. If there are issues with the retention or collection of emails I am often alerted by ControlUp before noticing it myself.

Scaling up is as simple as adding an additional monitor server.

We have used their support and professional services. Both have been responsive and very knowledgeable.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We only had SCOM and Director previously.

The initial setup requires nothing more than a single EXE and a spare workstation with sufficient RAM/CPU for the trial.

Automation of common tasks has seen a measurable drop in manual actions and has saved enough time to release perhaps 1 FTE. They can now focus on more engineering work.

I'd advise running a trial. This is quick and simple to get running.

If you opt to buy then it's essential to ensure you include the Automated Actions license - this is where the real power is.

We evaluated Lakeside and Nexthink

What other advice do I have?

As mentioned, opt for the Trial. You'll have 30 days to really see how beneficial ControlUp is.

Download our free IT Infrastructure Monitoring Report and find out what your peers are saying about ControlUp, eg Innovations, Goliath Technologies, and more!