Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM) is the #9 ranked solution in top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. PeerSpot users give Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM) an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM) is most commonly compared to Microsoft Intune: Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM) vs Microsoft Intune. Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM) is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 47% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM) Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM)?

Every user is unique. Every device, a bit different. Systems Manager keeps the network in the loop about constantly changing devices, automatically tracking device posture and adjusting security policies to match.

Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM) was previously known as Meraki MDM.

Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM) Customers

Hafen Hamburg & Empire Riverside Hotel, Eastview Church, Tourism Holdings, Colegio Sagrada Familia Hijas de Jesús, Tommy Bahama's, Canadian School Mexico, Rosebank College

Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM) Video

Archived Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM) Reviews (more than two years old)

IT Manager at a construction company with 201-500 employees
Stable and great for iOS but lacks functionality with Windows devices
  • "The stability of the solution is very good. It's reliable. We don't have crashes or experience freezing. There aren't bugs or glitches."
  • "We've really only experimented with their iOS client. This is due to the fact that their Windows client has a lot to be desired. We first tried experimenting with the Windows one but very quickly determined that it wasn't going to cut it for most Windows cases. The Windows portion of this product needs improvement. I'd say that it's not really viable."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for iPhone management.

What is most valuable?

The ability to push out applications is a great aspect of the solution.

We can create a tag of a phone and we can create a package of applications, and then we can tag the device and say, "This device must have these applications." The solution ensures that the device gets those applications.

We also like that it allows us to get applications without setting up iCloud accounts. For some of our employees, the extra steps to have "yet another account" are simply not needed, when all they want the is the app store (and not all of the other iCloud functionality).

For example, a delivery driver - we want him to have Google Maps, Outlook, Chrome, and a Time Clock app.  We can push these apps out through Meraki MDM without having to set him up with an iCloud account.

What needs improvement?

We've used the iOS client. The Windows client has a lot to be desired to be a full management tool.

We first tried the Windows client, but quickly determined that it wasn't going to cut it for most Windows cases. The Windows portion of this product needs improvement.

We've been using this solution for a few years.

Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM)
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability of the solution is very good. It's reliable.

I'm not sure how the solution scales. In our experience, we've only put it on twenty devices.

We've never contacted technical support for Systems Manager

Deployment took a few hours, initially. However, the total time to fully understand it and get into the weeds with the way it works will take a lot longer since there's so much to it. It took us a few months of testing it out here and there to get comfortable to roll it out.  Bear in mind, we didn't have a deadline, and this was being done as a side project.

in house.

Error can't divide by $0.00

We're using a free version of the solution.  But if we exceed the limit the pricing was in line with other MDM solutions.

No, we had a free license to one hundred seats of Systems Manager from our Meraki firewalls.  We have since looked at Jamf and Microsoft Intune.

What other advice do I have?

There's a lot of options in the configuration and the setup.  Make a test device and a test group and make sure you fully understand what is going on before you roll it out.  For example, one setting lets you deny use of Safari, which sounds good till the user clicks a link in an email and it won't open.  *Unless you use Microsoft Outlook which allows you to pick the app that links open in.

Setting up VPP and DEP takes a little bit of effort, but these will be required no matter the MDM solution you choose. The Apple device enrollment program allows devices bought from the carrier you are registered with to show up in the account.

On the Apple side, the VPP allows you to bulk buy apps, that's the same, regardless of which MDM solution you use.

Personally, we don't plan to continue to use it going forward. While the Apple side of the solution is great, the Windows side just has a lot of problems.

IT Manager at Utmost
No downtime, no breakdowns, all the user readings are exact, and it gives us quick analysis so we can apply security measures
  • "We experience no downtime, no breakdowns, all the user readings are exact, and it gives us quick analysis so we can apply security measures."
  • "Because Cisco has improved a lot and is competing with other technologies that are innovative and brand new to the market, the only improvements they have to make are to keep up with the current competition and remain competitive with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the product is as an enterprise mobility management solution to give access to users that are connecting to the network on wired and wireless devices.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco Meraki Systems Manager is very good in terms of performance. It can handle the traffic in the network of our 300-400 user base and it can manage all the users without downtime. Its exceptional performance is allowing us to implement other solutions to service customers better.

What is most valuable?

Because Cisco products are reliable and user-friendly, we can implement any kind of setup. For example, we can set up for a geographical location. We can make it so users find it easy to access the network securely when they are in and outside the office. We experience no downtime, no breakdowns, all the user readings are exact, and it gives us quick analysis so we can apply security measures.

What needs improvement?

Because Cisco has improved a lot and is competing with other technologies that are innovative and brand new to the market, the only improvements they have to make are to keep up with the current competition and remain competitive with other solutions.

We have been using Cisco Meraki Systems Manager for about six months

My impression is that the solution is 98% stable. I really like the devices and I am happy to have the devices in my organization.

The scalability of the solution ranks at about 9.5 of 10. It is flexible and scalable.

While pro support is available, we have not used any kind of support so far. We do the maintenance on our own. But the technical support is 100% available and they maintain certain criteria. Every three to six months they come for a review of performance and they inspect the devices every three months. We meet with them even if we do not request support and they inform us of new devices and improvements coming into the market. If there is anything you need from them, they are very good and reliable.

We previously used a GitLab runner because of the GUID (Global Unique Identifier), but the Cisco Meraki also had the GUID feature which makes it really easy to implement. Without GUID you had to learn so many devices. So GUID is very good, the Cisco console is very good, the interface is extremely good and this made it very easy to implement. You don't have to extract the logs manually, so that simplifies log-analysis.

I had experience with Cisco devices previously so the initial setup was easy. Deployment is never complicated unless you complicate your design or implement other design management. If your planning is really good before implementation, the deployment will go well. I enjoyed using it and implementing it.

The integration was taken care of by us. We only had the devices. The implementation was our first attempt and it took only a few days.

Our return on investment is reliability, flexibility and the ability to serve our customers without downtime.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM)
November 2022
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
John Rocchio - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastucture Manager at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
The ease of use and setup are most valuable to us. We have come across issues where it doesn't seem to be able to establish some VPN tunnels with other devices.
  • "We use this solution for MDM."
  • "It's a very easy solution for the most part, it's very easy to implement and very easy to administer."
  • "It's extremely competitive and very good for a product in this sphere."
  • "It doesn't seem to be able to establish some VPN tunnels with other devices in a particular way that such as an ASA can do for us."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for MDM (Mobile Device Management), as a firewall and using it for their switches and access points.

What is most valuable?

Generally speaking, the ease of use and setup are most valuable to us. We have come across issues where it doesn't seem to be able to establish some VPN tunnels with other devices in a particular way that such as an ASA can do for us. But other than that, I mean, as far as the switching setup, it's extremely easy. The access point is even easier. The firewall and the  basic setup for the firewall; having the auto VPN connections, site-to-site VPN connections, come up is a very nice feature.

What needs improvement?

The one particular issue that we had is that one of our sites had a very specific VPN site-to-site setup for access into a a particular client. We could see what was coming out of the firewall, and for some reason, the client firewall was not responding in the way that we were expecting, and we were unable to get client's firewall team on the line in time for us to get it all straightened out, so we had to fall back to the ASA that was in place.

Yes, this is a stable product.

We have this product in a total of six of our sites. I could easily configure everything from one location, despite the various global site locations.

Most of the time, we do not use technical support. We do not need them, but when we do need them, they are available and will work with us for whatever length of time it takes to try and solve the problem.

It's extremely competitive and very good for a product in this sphere. It's excellent, actually, for the products and what they can handle.

What other advice do I have?

Generally speaking, if it's just a mesh network within your own environment, which could be done at a fairly low knowledge level. It's when you're dealing with the external partners and stuff like that that you'll either have to really know what you're talking about to try and troubleshoot. It's a very easy solution for the most part, it's very easy to implement and very easy to administer.

Vice President at Radeon Technologies Ltd.
Reseller
The web portal provides status reporting and ease of configuration

What is our primary use case?

We use it in a restaurant environment to provide a managed firewall and WiFi. This is very helpful.

One of our largest support call issues is the processing of credit cards. This is caused by an Internet/network issue 60 percent of the time. Knowing the state of the network remotely is a big time saver. Having the ability to alter the network and WiFi settings remotely permits us to have quick response time. For overall troubleshooting, having tools on Meraki is a time saver.

How has it helped my organization?

• We can quickly see if the Internet is up or down, then focus troubleshooting more quickly.
  • We can reconfigure a client’s setup remotely with minimal effort.

What is most valuable?

• Web portal: Ease of configuration and status reporting.
  • Tools: It helps us see if anything has been changed in the network by another vendor or customer.

What needs improvement?

Integration with other tools, such as, ConnectWise Automate.

Three to five years.

The price is high for the market.

Co-Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
You can deploy apps to all your devices in a few clicks.

What is most valuable?

Systems Manager is another cloud service from Cisco Meraki that helps you to manage all the devices in your organization. You can deploy apps to all your devices around the world in a few clicks and in a few minutes.

How has it helped my organization?

My employees have more secured devices. I can control what they can do with their enterprise devices, make a full and remote maintenance, install apps, upgrade apps, upgrade devices, etc.

What needs improvement?

Geofency polices are great, but it depends on how the device has the localization services configured. If the device is not getting the right GPS position, Geofency polices will fail.

I have been using it for about two years.

With Apple devices, it is perfect thanks to DEP. With Android and Windows, you can enroll devices via mail and it's very easy.

The Cisco Meraki cloud is very stable; I haven't had any problems with the stability of the service.

The scalability of this MDM is perfect. You can add all the devices you want, and you only need to tag them to apply polices.

Customer service is very good.

Technical support provides great service; you can open tickets yourself or call a phone number.

I tried AirWatch; it's more expensive and more difficult to use and configure.

The initial setup is very easy.

My implementation was through nData Systems.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Cisco Meraki authorized reseller.
Download our free Cisco Meraki Systems Manager (MDM+EMM) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022