Cisco IOS Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco IOS Security is the #6 ranked solution in top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software and #19 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Cisco IOS Security an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Cisco IOS Security is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Cisco IOS Security vs Fortinet FortiGate. Cisco IOS Security is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
Cisco IOS Security Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco IOS Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2023

What is Cisco IOS Security?
Cisco IOS Software delivers a sophisticated set of security capabilities for a comprehensive, layered security approach throughout your network infrastructure. Cisco IOS security technologies help to defend critical business processes against attack and disruption, protect privacy, and support policy and regulatory compliance controls.

Cisco IOS Security was previously known as IOS Security.

Cisco IOS Security Customers
Arup Group, Brunel University London, City of Biel, Gobierno de Castilla-La Mancha, K&L Gates , New South Wales Rural Fire Service, Offshore Northern Seas, Transplace
Cisco IOS Security Video

Cisco IOS Security Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco IOS Security pricing:
  • "The pricing is average and includes all features with support."
  • "The cost may be around $5,000 to $10,000 a year. If you want support you have to pay at least this price."
  • "Cisco IOS Security is not very expensive, and pricing depends on where you live. It's affordable for both individuals and institutions. On a scale from one to five, I would give Cisco's pricing a four."
  • "They have smart licenses that can be provided for one year, two years, three years, five years, and seven years. Alternatively, they have perpetual licenses available."
  • Cisco IOS Security Reviews

Sr. Security and Enterprise Architect at a security firm with 11-50 employees
    Great security and automation with helpful technical assistance
    • "Cisco Technical Assistance Center works on a follow-the-sun concept and gives real 24x7 customer support, which is a great advantage when you have a service contract with them."
    • "There are the usual bugs that are inherent to some software upgrades. Sometimes this provides some unexpected issues, however, it happens with all brands all the time."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used for enterprise and NAC connectivity.

This kind of technology has the advantage of being very flexible to any size organization. It is a cornerstone as a part of the basic network infrastructure.

It can be used as a simple switch to connect your network devices with security features embedded - such as port security, for example. This allows companies to limit to a fixed address per port, avoiding external or malicious assets for accessing the network.

For example, if you have a retail business, and you have a lot of small stores spread nationwide, you just need to connect some cameras and sales points to the network. iOS security solutions allow you to have a secure LAN and you could add a secure WAN connection through your Internet provider with LTE links as backups. You can set up on-demand VPN connections from store to store for voice/video calls, or do inventory queries direct to the HQ database.

How has it helped my organization?

As a Cisco partner/reseller, security has been a concern for many years. Cisco has a security concept that begins right when you try to connect to the network. Security is a complete system and is not just put on security devices at the perimeter or between tiers inside a data center.

iOS on routers is a mature solution, allowing easy setup of a traditional ISAKMP V1 or V2 VPN, and a very mature proprietary VPN flavor called DMVPN. DMVPN allows on-demand VPN establishment with minimal setup configuration and creates a pseudo full mesh avoiding bottlenecks.

Cisco Technical Assistance Center works on a follow-the-sun concept and gives real 24x7 customer support, which is a great advantage when you have a service contract with them.

What is most valuable?

The best features include the Auto Secure script, port security, spanning-tree root and loop guard, 802.1x, DMVPN, GET VPN, SD-Access, and Secure SD-WAN.

The software offers plenty of security solutions that can work in the most sophisticated enterprise but also works well for small/mid-range enterprises.

A simple switch is able to run basic security as port security, limiting the MAC addresses allowed on a port, or by running a script you can set up ACL and some control plane policies to protect control and management planes and basic DoS protection.

The same software is able to work with sophisticated security options going from the basic 802.1x to MACSEC, NAC, and trustsec, and can be integrated with automation tools in order to do auto onboarding tasks (for wired devices), profiling, and more interesting security tasks.

It allows for easy traditional ISAKMP V1 or V2 VPN setups and has a very mature proprietary VPN flavor called DMVPN. DMVPN allows on-demand VPN establishment with minimal setup configuration involved and creates a pseudo full mesh (avoiding bottlenecks as a hub-spoke topology does). Dynamic VPN establishment allows spoke-to-spoke traffic flow on-demand, optimizing VoIP/SIP calls setting up direct tunnels among spokes, reducing latency compared with a hub/spoke topology.

Switch and router iOS can be automated and orchestrated with secure SD-WAN and SD-Access Cisco solutions. Having the iOS software is relevant for small and large enterprises; it works fine for all size networks.

What needs improvement?

Some additional features could be improved. For example, the licensing for DNA environments could be better. In some countries, the end-user does not want to go to orchestration/automation environments. They just want to have a small network for their small budget and they never will go to these environments. They consider it unfair that they have to pay for a license/subscription that will never be used.

Cisco IOS Security
    February 2023
    Learn what your peers think about Cisco IOS Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2023.
    672,785 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution for ten or more years.

It is very stable.

The product is very scalable.

Technical support is great.

Positive

My customers have used other brands that just gave connectivity and did not offer security over LAN switches. The VPN scheme was limited to site-to-site over hub-and-spoke topologies.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We are the vendor team that handles implementations.

Cisco is not a cost-effective brand, however, in the end, you get what you pay for. Regarding licensing, some customers will not use automation/orchestration environments and do not like to pay a subscription for something they will never use.

Hybrid Cloud
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I have 20+ years of experience working on cisco partners, but I do have Cisco Infrastruchture on my own company and the enunciated solutions are currently running as if I were another more customer too.
    Consultant at twigalpha
    It's a reliable solution that will be around for a long time, but the configuration and reporting interfaces need improvement
    • "The VPN was valuable for us because more people are working from home. It has a lot of reporting and easy-to-use management tools."
    • "The configuration and reporting interfaces need a lot of improvement. It needs to be more accessible forsolide without a strong technical background. If you had a simplified dashboard, the lower-level techs could manage the solution and provide services. Cisco IOS Security requires someone who is highly trained to operate it."

What is our primary use case?

My organization is an ISP using IOS Security to secure enterprise resources. We previously had it deployed on-premises, but we have switched to the cloud. We prefer AWS for latency purposes because it's based in South Africa.

What is most valuable?

The VPN was valuable for us because more people are working from home. It has a lot of reporting and easy-to-use management tools.

What needs improvement?

The configuration and reporting interfaces need a lot of improvement. It needs to be more accessible forsolide without a strong technical background. If you had a simplified dashboard, the lower-level techs could manage the solution and provide services. Cisco IOS Security requires someone who is highly trained to operate it.

There is central management, but reporting could be more centralized too. You can have a lab module. However, we need to see some es, and that will help you deploy without breaking the live system. There's no way for me to have a live system to test my new configuration. If it breaks, I have to deploy it and reverse it to the previous configuration.

It would be nice if I could create an online lab on the fly to test for 10 minutes to an hour without messing anything up. That would be great, especially for things that we do on our live network appliance.

I've been using Cisco since the late 90s.

The stability is great. It takes a bit of time for them to introduce new features that I want.

All Cisco products are scalable. The scalability is there, but the pricing model isn't straightforward.

I rate Cisco support four out of 10. Dealing with Cisco support is complicated. First, there's a time difference because we are in the GMT+2 time zone. It sometimes takes a while for your ticket to be assigned. Today, I find that other cloud service providers respond much quicker than Cisco, even though they are smaller. They need to improve on response time.

Neutral

It was the first solution I've used, and I've stuck with it because I'm comfortable with it. I haven't used other products, but I'm evaluating some because Cisco is becoming more complicated in terms of licensing, features, and other stuff.

I wouldn't say the deployment was complicated, but I wouldn't use the word "easy" either. It's straightforward if you know what you're doing. However, it can be complicated if you don't know what you're trying to do. You need a bit of training before touching it. By contrast, FortiGate is easier to get started, but Cisco solutions require training before you start messing with them.

It wasn't much of a challenge for me because I've been working with Cisco for a while. Initially, there were some painful moments where you thought these things would break.

We were doing everything by ourselves at first, but we ended up using an integrator at some point.

In IT services, we don't calculate return on investment. It allows the business to grow, so we don't calculate the return. We just look at the IT cost.

I rate IOS Security six out of 10 for pricing

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco IOS Security six out of 10. For someone who wants something that works, they can be sure that Cisco will be there in the next five years. Cisco products have longevity because the company is secure, and you know the product will be supported for many years.

There is longevity if you can afford it. At the same time, you'll need to invest in learning the product. The most vital aspect of Cisco is that it works, and the company is there for you. You are sure it'll be there tomorrow.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Cisco IOS Security
    February 2023
    672,785 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Business Development Manager at Odxs
    Reseller
    Very highly scalable and an effective Umbrella integration for tech analysis
    • "The solution effectively integrates with Umbrella."
    • "The solution is not user friendly and it is hard to manage the GUI interface."

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses the solution as intrusion protection for customers. It fully integrates with the BMA and ISE. We manage all traffic in data centers to protect them from internal users and outside traffic.

What is most valuable?

The solution effectively integrates with Umbrella which has an intelligent background and is very helpful in tech analysis or discovery.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not user friendly and it is hard to manage the GUI interface. This is an ongoing CISCO problem.

The solution needs Active/Active firewalls to have good load balance with high availability. The firewalls should work simultaneously, not just as failovers.

I have been using the solution for ten years.

The solution is very stable if configured properly. I rate stability a nine out of ten.

The solution is very highly scalable and other products really don't compete with its scalability. The solution can easily be used for small companies or big enterprises with thousands of users. I rate scalability an eight out of ten.

Technical support does not have a broad knowledge base, so I rate them a six out of ten.

Neutral

The setup is better than before but still not easy or clear like Palo Alto. If you want to configure the solution, then you need to study how to do it.

The setup is difficult so I rate it a six out of ten.

We implement the solution for customers on our own unless we have an issue or bug. It takes one expert staff person for deployment. Depending on the customer's policies and the network's complexity, deployment might take from three to seven days.

Our process includes verifying the license and setting up the firewall, hardware, FMC, and the failover when there is more than one firewall. We then define or set up the configurable interfaces and the IP addresses. Finally, we define the VLAN of the customer and policies for each VLAN.

The solution does not require ongoing maintenance if it is configured properly.

Our ROI is that the solution saves time because it reduces attacks and helps with ongoing protection. The subscription model is also very helpful for ROI.

I rate ROI at 1800%.

The pricing is average and includes all features with support. I rate pricing a six out of ten.

Palo Alto has a better GUI interface for handling all features and is easier to configure.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the solution and rate it an eight out of ten.

Bilal  Mustafa - PeerSpot reviewer
    Operations Specialist - MX Operations at Bank Alfalah Limited
    It's a stable solution with good local support, but it takes to long to update and deploy policies
    • "In Pakistan, we only use Cisco because they have good local support infrastructure. Huawei and Fortinet don't offer direct support in Pakistan."
    • "It takes too much time to deploy a policy to FMC. It takes around eight minutes. You can't afford any downtime when you're changing policies."

What is our primary use case?

IOS Security is a firewall, and every connection goes through it. We have around 12,000 people in the company.

What is most valuable?

In Pakistan, we only use Cisco because they have good local support infrastructure. Huawei and Fortinet don't offer direct support in Pakistan.

What needs improvement?

It takes too much time to deploy a policy to FMC. It takes around eight minutes. You can't afford any downtime when you're changing policies.

The update process could also be smoother. They could improve the FirePOWER integration to reduce the time needed to update to the newer version. Sometimes, in the middle of the update, the process starts, but it doesn't find the new installation, so we have to force it to run that particular part.

I have been using IOS Security for about six or seven years.

When we have FirePOWER integrated into the solution, there are some gaps, so it's not as stable as the legacy solutions like SFR and ASA.

It depends on the size of the box. We don't have any issues regarding scalability with the appliance we have.

We don't directly connect with the principal. In Pakistan, we have vendors providing support indirectly to our principal. We have Smart Net support, but in the banking sector, management always prefers an indirect channel.

I also use FortiGate. IOS Security is more stable than competitors, and Cisco is more comprehensive in its approach. The company is trusted and has a greater presence. That is the main reason to use Cisco over other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco IOS Security seven out of 10. To make it a 10, Cisco needs to speed up all the processes to reduce downtime to a minimum. For example, if a department comes to me to do a UAT, I might find out I have to make some changes. There's an additional 10 minutes. It's a lengthy process for me.

If you have the support for another firewall, I suggest researching your options. Go for the UAT environment and check as you're comparing them. I won't say that you should definitely go for Cisco.

Cyber Security Engineer at a tech company
    Easy to install and good technical support on offer but could be easier to use
    • "The product is easy to use."
    • "There could be a bit more functions on offer that could make it easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product as a security solution within our company.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the devices are very good and reliable.

The product is easy to use.

It's quite a stable solution.

The installation process is easy.

Technical support has always been very good.

What needs improvement?

It's a good device yet it's not a market leader. There are better options for customers to choose from.

There could be a bit more functions on offer that could make it easier to use.

We have used the solution for four years. It's been a while. We have a bit of experience with it at this point.

The stability is great and the performance is good. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze.

We have about 2,000 users on the product currently.

Cisco technical support is the best in the world. They are very helpful and responsive and we are always satisfied with the amount of assistance we get.

Previous to this solution, we did not use anything else.

It's straightforward to set up. The product isn't too complex in terms of implementation. It takes about two days to deploy everything.

You only need two people for installation. We have two technicians for the installation of the product and two engineers for managing the product.

We handle the implementation ourselves in-house. We don't need outside consultants or integrators.

We pay a yearly subscription for signatures and stuff for the filtering, debugging inspection.

We did not evaluate anything before we started using Cisco. We didn't evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

We always use two versions behind the latest version. We do not use the latest version typically.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten.

I wouldn't recommend the solution to other users or organizations at this time.

Director at Cros Elements LLC
    Powerful, easy to set up, and nice interface
    • "The security is very good."
    • "Sometimes I find it difficult to manage. Some configurations are difficult for new engineers, for example."

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for internet traffic security. It's for protection.

What is most valuable?

We don't have a problem with the user interface and it is pretty user-friendly.

We don't mind the cost.

The security is very good.

Cisco is very good, very powerful.

It's a reliable, stable product in general. It's better than the competition.

The product is easy to set up.

It is a stable product.

We find the product to be scalable.

What needs improvement?

How to improve the solution depends on the usage.

It could be more flexible.

I've been using the solution for the last ten years.

This is a very stable, reliable product. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

It's a scalable product.

We have 500 to 600 people using the solution.

Before, it was very easy to get in touch with support. However, it's become more difficult. It can take a long time to get an answer. We also have to deal with time differences, which can make it harder to get an answer.

It is very easy for me to implement the solution. It's very good, it's very easy. There are command planning and equations. Cisco is very simple. We don't have issue with Cisco.

The deployment depends on the product you use and the network design.

You can do it in small batches. It can take some time to refresh. It might take one or two days.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Cisco customer and end-user.

We've been using the mid-range version since 2012.

I'd rate the solution around eight out of ten.

Cisco is great. It's likely number one in the world. I'd recommend the solution as it is a very powerful product. However, it's best to have Cisco experts on staff or available to you to make things easier.

User at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
    A leading security solution that integrates easily with other Cisco products
    • "Cisco products are very secure and integrate easily with other devices."
    • "The graphical user interface or the GUI could be better. Beginners can use some devices with the GUI, but some security devices are configured using CLI. It would also be better if it had its own Intrusion Protection Service and Intrusion Detection Service on the server."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco IOS Security for integration purposes. We have Cisco features and Cisco devices in our organization. We use it as an integration system for Cisco devices.

What is most valuable?

Cisco products are very secure and integrate easily with other devices.

What needs improvement?

The graphical user interface or the GUI could be better. Beginners can use some devices with the GUI, but some security devices are configured using CLI. It would also be better if it had its own Intrusion Protection Service and Intrusion Detection Service on the server.

I have been using Cisco IOS Security for more than three years.

Cisco IOS Security has been stable so far.

The device is not scalable because the device was manufactured with a specific product specification. To scale, you have to plan and add more devices. We have about 12,000 users.

They are supportive and have the technical skills to support us. If I have challenges with a Cisco product, they help me based on their subscription fee.

On a scale from one to five, I would give Cisco technical support a five.

Positive

The initial setup is straightforward for IT users. It takes about one hour to implement this solution because we have to upgrade the framework on some of the devices.

On a scale from one to five, I would give the initial setup a five.

On a scale from one to five, I would give Cisco's pricing a four.

What other advice do I have?

We chose Cisco because the company has an excellent market rating, users are familiar with Cisco, and they can deploy Cisco products. Using Cisco also improves the security mechanism of all devices from end to end.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco IOS Security an eight.

SameerBali - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Architect at Syriatel Mobile Telecom
    Secure, cost effective, and easy to install
    • "It is less expensive than alternative firewalls."
    • "While Cisco IOS Security is stable and scalable, I would like to see it improved to be even better."

What is our primary use case?

We can use iOS security for a variety of security features. We can use it to run DPM. We run encrypted data and can use it for zone-based firewalls, to a zone-based firewall.

I use VPN solutions such as site-to-site or user-site VPN, and some do not require a firewall.

What is most valuable?

It is less expensive than alternative firewalls.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Cisco IOS Security for three months.

I use version 12.4 and I use 15 and above for the router.

Cisco IOS Security is very stable.

Cisco IOS Security is a scalable solution.

We have approximately 50 users.

We have not contacted technical support.

I don't have any critical issues, and I haven't had any open technical tickets with support. Everything is fine, but I work in security with multi-media solutions. We haven't had any problems.

The installation is straightforward. It's easy, we didn't have any problems with the installation of Cisco IOS Security.

I have three or four technical teams to help me work on publishing.

Cisco IOS Security requires a license.

With Cisco, we have a variety of licenses. They have smart licenses that can be provided for one year, two years, three years, five years, and seven years. Alternatively, they have perpetual licenses available. I am working with a perpetual license, but not a smart license.

What other advice do I have?

Before we can use any security feature on the Cisco router, we must first purchase an iOS security license.

Yes, I would recommend this solution. It is more stable and less expensive than other firewalls. In some cases, it saves money for the project or the companies that work with it.

I would rate Cisco IOS Security an eight out of ten.

Download our free Cisco IOS Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: February 2023