Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Cisco IOS Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco IOS Security is #6 ranked solution in top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software and #20 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Cisco IOS Security an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Cisco IOS Security is most commonly compared to pfSense: Cisco IOS Security vs pfSense. Cisco IOS Security is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
Cisco IOS Security Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco IOS Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2022

What is Cisco IOS Security?
Cisco IOS Software delivers a sophisticated set of security capabilities for a comprehensive, layered security approach throughout your network infrastructure. Cisco IOS security technologies help to defend critical business processes against attack and disruption, protect privacy, and support policy and regulatory compliance controls.

Cisco IOS Security was previously known as IOS Security.

Cisco IOS Security Customers
Arup Group, Brunel University London, City of Biel, Gobierno de Castilla-La Mancha, K&L Gates , New South Wales Rural Fire Service, Offshore Northern Seas, Transplace
Cisco IOS Security Video

Cisco IOS Security Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco IOS Security pricing:
  • "Price is certainly something that the IOS technology has fallen behind the competition on."
  • "The cost may be around $5,000 to $10,000 a year. If you want support you have to pay at least this price."
  • "Cisco IOS Security is not very expensive, and pricing depends on where you live. It's affordable for both individuals and institutions. On a scale from one to five, I would give Cisco's pricing a four."
  • Cisco IOS Security Reviews

Sr. Security and Enterprise Architect at a security firm with 11-50 employees
    Great security and automation with helpful technical assistance
    • "Cisco Technical Assistance Center works on a follow-the-sun concept and gives real 24x7 customer support, which is a great advantage when you have a service contract with them."
    • "There are the usual bugs that are inherent to some software upgrades. Sometimes this provides some unexpected issues, however, it happens with all brands all the time."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used for enterprise and NAC connectivity.

This kind of technology has the advantage of being very flexible to any size organization. It is a cornerstone as a part of the basic network infrastructure.

It can be used as a simple switch to connect your network devices with security features embedded - such as port security, for example. This allows companies to limit to a fixed address per port, avoiding external or malicious assets for accessing the network.

For example, if you have a retail business, and you have a lot of small stores spread nationwide, you just need to connect some cameras and sales points to the network. iOS security solutions allow you to have a secure LAN and you could add a secure WAN connection through your Internet provider with LTE links as backups. You can set up on-demand VPN connections from store to store for voice/video calls, or do inventory queries direct to the HQ database.

How has it helped my organization?

As a Cisco partner/reseller, security has been a concern for many years. Cisco has a security concept that begins right when you try to connect to the network. Security is a complete system and is not just put on security devices at the perimeter or between tiers inside a data center.

iOS on routers is a mature solution, allowing easy setup of a traditional ISAKMP V1 or V2 VPN, and a very mature proprietary VPN flavor called DMVPN. DMVPN allows on-demand VPN establishment with minimal setup configuration and creates a pseudo full mesh avoiding bottlenecks.

Cisco Technical Assistance Center works on a follow-the-sun concept and gives real 24x7 customer support, which is a great advantage when you have a service contract with them.

What is most valuable?

The best features include the Auto Secure script, port security, spanning-tree root and loop guard, 802.1x, DMVPN, GET VPN, SD-Access, and Secure SD-WAN.

The software offers plenty of security solutions that can work in the most sophisticated enterprise but also works well for small/mid-range enterprises.

A simple switch is able to run basic security as port security, limiting the MAC addresses allowed on a port, or by running a script you can set up ACL and some control plane policies to protect control and management planes and basic DoS protection.

The same software is able to work with sophisticated security options going from the basic 802.1x to MACSEC, NAC, and trustsec, and can be integrated with automation tools in order to do auto onboarding tasks (for wired devices), profiling, and more interesting security tasks.

It allows for easy traditional ISAKMP V1 or V2 VPN setups and has a very mature proprietary VPN flavor called DMVPN. DMVPN allows on-demand VPN establishment with minimal setup configuration involved and creates a pseudo full mesh (avoiding bottlenecks as a hub-spoke topology does). Dynamic VPN establishment allows spoke-to-spoke traffic flow on-demand, optimizing VoIP/SIP calls setting up direct tunnels among spokes, reducing latency compared with a hub/spoke topology.

Switch and router iOS can be automated and orchestrated with secure SD-WAN and SD-Access Cisco solutions. Having the iOS software is relevant for small and large enterprises; it works fine for all size networks.

What needs improvement?

Some additional features could be improved. For example, the licensing for DNA environments could be better. In some countries, the end-user does not want to go to orchestration/automation environments. They just want to have a small network for their small budget and they never will go to these environments. They consider it unfair that they have to pay for a license/subscription that will never be used.

Cisco IOS Security
    October 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Cisco IOS Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2022.
    635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution for ten or more years.

It is very stable.

The product is very scalable.

Technical support is great.

Positive

My customers have used other brands that just gave connectivity and did not offer security over LAN switches. The VPN scheme was limited to site-to-site over hub-and-spoke topologies.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We are the vendor team that handles implementations.

Cisco is not a cost-effective brand, however, in the end, you get what you pay for. Regarding licensing, some customers will not use automation/orchestration environments and do not like to pay a subscription for something they will never use.

Hybrid Cloud
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I have 20+ years of experience working on cisco partners, but I do have Cisco Infrastruchture on my own company and the enunciated solutions are currently running as if I were another more customer too.
    Consultant at twigalpha
    It's a reliable solution that will be around for a long time, but the configuration and reporting interfaces need improvement
    • "The VPN was valuable for us because more people are working from home. It has a lot of reporting and easy-to-use management tools."
    • "The configuration and reporting interfaces need a lot of improvement. It needs to be more accessible forsolide without a strong technical background. If you had a simplified dashboard, the lower-level techs could manage the solution and provide services. Cisco IOS Security requires someone who is highly trained to operate it."

What is our primary use case?

My organization is an ISP using IOS Security to secure enterprise resources. We previously had it deployed on-premises, but we have switched to the cloud. We prefer AWS for latency purposes because it's based in South Africa.

What is most valuable?

The VPN was valuable for us because more people are working from home. It has a lot of reporting and easy-to-use management tools.

What needs improvement?

The configuration and reporting interfaces need a lot of improvement. It needs to be more accessible forsolide without a strong technical background. If you had a simplified dashboard, the lower-level techs could manage the solution and provide services. Cisco IOS Security requires someone who is highly trained to operate it.

There is central management, but reporting could be more centralized too. You can have a lab module. However, we need to see some es, and that will help you deploy without breaking the live system. There's no way for me to have a live system to test my new configuration. If it breaks, I have to deploy it and reverse it to the previous configuration.

It would be nice if I could create an online lab on the fly to test for 10 minutes to an hour without messing anything up. That would be great, especially for things that we do on our live network appliance.

I've been using Cisco since the late 90s.

The stability is great. It takes a bit of time for them to introduce new features that I want.

All Cisco products are scalable. The scalability is there, but the pricing model isn't straightforward.

I rate Cisco support four out of 10. Dealing with Cisco support is complicated. First, there's a time difference because we are in the GMT+2 time zone. It sometimes takes a while for your ticket to be assigned. Today, I find that other cloud service providers respond much quicker than Cisco, even though they are smaller. They need to improve on response time.

Neutral

It was the first solution I've used, and I've stuck with it because I'm comfortable with it. I haven't used other products, but I'm evaluating some because Cisco is becoming more complicated in terms of licensing, features, and other stuff.

I wouldn't say the deployment was complicated, but I wouldn't use the word "easy" either. It's straightforward if you know what you're doing. However, it can be complicated if you don't know what you're trying to do. You need a bit of training before touching it. By contrast, FortiGate is easier to get started, but Cisco solutions require training before you start messing with them.

It wasn't much of a challenge for me because I've been working with Cisco for a while. Initially, there were some painful moments where you thought these things would break.

We were doing everything by ourselves at first, but we ended up using an integrator at some point.

In IT services, we don't calculate return on investment. It allows the business to grow, so we don't calculate the return. We just look at the IT cost.

I rate IOS Security six out of 10 for pricing

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco IOS Security six out of 10. For someone who wants something that works, they can be sure that Cisco will be there in the next five years. Cisco products have longevity because the company is secure, and you know the product will be supported for many years.

There is longevity if you can afford it. At the same time, you'll need to invest in learning the product. The most vital aspect of Cisco is that it works, and the company is there for you. You are sure it'll be there tomorrow.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Cisco IOS Security
    October 2022
    635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Field Solutions Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    IPsec technology allows our clients to be more agile in their connectivity, but the technical support response times should be better
    • "What I have used the most and received the most benefit from is the IPsec technology."
    • "With respect to user-friendliness, it is a command-line interface and those with such experience will get along just fine, whereas others may struggle."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller and Cisco IOS Security is one of the network security products that we offer to our clients. The primary use case is securing connectivity between sites. Examples of this are between a site and a data center, or a site and a cloud provider.

How has it helped my organization?

DMVPN as a technology, not necessarily for security, has allowed my customers to be more agile in their connectivity, without having to rely on a hub-and-spoke topology. Rather, they can leverage a full mesh topology, which is essentially SD-WAN.

IPsec allows us to overlay that, which means we can obfuscate the underlying infrastructure, whatever the transports are. Whether it is a secure private transport like MPLS or just public internet, we can commoditize the underlying transports and trust that everything is secured from prying eyes.

What is most valuable?

What I have used the most and received the most benefit from is the IPsec technology. It overlays on DMVPN tunnels and being able to secure these object-based tunnels is good because they perform significantly better than traditional IPsec tunnels.

What needs improvement?

With respect to user-friendliness, it is a command-line interface and those with such experience will get along just fine, whereas others may struggle. My expectation is that it will remain a primarily command-line-based technology.

The biggest annoyance is probably the quality control of the code. They have to make sure that they are better at vetting bugs and software issues before they release code to the general public.

I have been working with this product for the past ten years.

It is not the most stable system that I have worked with.

I don't think that scalability is much of an issue.

Our clients are small enterprise-level organizations, typically between 1,000 and 5,000 knowledge workers.

The technical support is pretty good and I would rate them an eight out of ten. If anything, they should work on their response times for critical cases.

I would say that 80% of my experience is with Cisco products.

The initial setup is fairly complex, although it depends on the feature sets that you're looking for. Cisco IOM is probably the most complex part of it because it involves setting up all of the QoS policies, performance-routing policies, and performance-routing domains.

From a DMVPN over IPsec perspective, it is pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to ensure that they don't overlook the technical overhead that is required to get it set up and keep it running. From an SD-WAN perspective, there are more user-friendly options out there, so they are going to have their own shortcomings. However, if you're going down the route of a Cisco command-line-based solution then make sure that you're prepared to have the staff on hand to manage it or instead, have a trusted partner that you work with and has the expertise to manage it.

From a feature-set perspective, as long as Cisco continues down the path of combining features from its products onto the unified platform, it will have all the features you need.

It's a good product and it does exactly what it's intended to do, but there and stability issues and the price is expensive.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Technical Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to use, easy to set up, and offers excellent technical support
    • "The solution is very user-friendly and easy to deal with."
    • "It would be ideal if the solution had more capacity."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a VPN concentrator. It's the main VPN concentrator for all remote connections.

What is most valuable?

The compatibility is high with many open protocols. We use it for Radiant. We use it for any kind of network access protocols as well.

The solution is very user-friendly and easy to deal with. We find working with both the Command-Line and the Viewer very, very straightforward.

It's quite stable. We find it more stable than other options.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the solution had more capacity. Right now, we are almost hitting the maximum capacity of the product. If they could provide more capacity for the same product, that would be great.

I've been using the solution for over ten years. At more than a decade, it's been a long time.

The solution is extremely stable. We find it much more stable than other options. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't issues with glitches. It is completely reliable.

Currently, we have over 7,000 users that utilize this solution.

We do plan to increase usage in the future.

Technical support is very, very good under Cisco. It's one of the other advantages of using their product. They are very helpful, responsive, and knowledgeable. We've very satisfied with the level of service they provide to us.

We previously used Juniper. Juniper has improved a lot over the last little while, however, we still prefer Cisco.

I was not part of the installation process. That was handled by another team entirely. That said, they didn't take a lot of time to get everything up and running. It was, if I recall correctly, less than one week to put it up and test it and make all the configuration adjustments. Deployment was fast and it's my understanding that the whole process from beginning to end was straightforward.

We only needed two people and they were able to handle both deployment and maintenance. They are engineers.

I don't know the exact licensing costs. It's not something I deal with directly, and therefore I don't have any access to the information in regards to pricing and payments.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Cisco.

We're using the latest version of the solution in our organization right now.

We use both cloud and on-premises deployments, however, currently, we tend to use more on-premises deployments.

I would recommend the solution. Overall, I would rate it at an eight out of ten.

Bilal  Mustafa - PeerSpot reviewer
    Operations Specialist - MX Operations at Bank Alfalah Limited
    It's a stable solution with good local support, but it takes to long to update and deploy policies
    • "In Pakistan, we only use Cisco because they have good local support infrastructure. Huawei and Fortinet don't offer direct support in Pakistan."
    • "It takes too much time to deploy a policy to FMC. It takes around eight minutes. You can't afford any downtime when you're changing policies."

What is our primary use case?

IOS Security is a firewall, and every connection goes through it. We have around 12,000 people in the company.

What is most valuable?

In Pakistan, we only use Cisco because they have good local support infrastructure. Huawei and Fortinet don't offer direct support in Pakistan.

What needs improvement?

It takes too much time to deploy a policy to FMC. It takes around eight minutes. You can't afford any downtime when you're changing policies.

The update process could also be smoother. They could improve the FirePOWER integration to reduce the time needed to update to the newer version. Sometimes, in the middle of the update, the process starts, but it doesn't find the new installation, so we have to force it to run that particular part.

I have been using IOS Security for about six or seven years.

When we have FirePOWER integrated into the solution, there are some gaps, so it's not as stable as the legacy solutions like SFR and ASA.

It depends on the size of the box. We don't have any issues regarding scalability with the appliance we have.

We don't directly connect with the principal. In Pakistan, we have vendors providing support indirectly to our principal. We have Smart Net support, but in the banking sector, management always prefers an indirect channel.

I also use FortiGate. IOS Security is more stable than competitors, and Cisco is more comprehensive in its approach. The company is trusted and has a greater presence. That is the main reason to use Cisco over other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco IOS Security seven out of 10. To make it a 10, Cisco needs to speed up all the processes to reduce downtime to a minimum. For example, if a department comes to me to do a UAT, I might find out I have to make some changes. There's an additional 10 minutes. It's a lengthy process for me.

If you have the support for another firewall, I suggest researching your options. Go for the UAT environment and check as you're comparing them. I won't say that you should definitely go for Cisco.

Cyber Security Engineer at a tech company
    Easy to install and good technical support on offer but could be easier to use
    • "The product is easy to use."
    • "There could be a bit more functions on offer that could make it easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product as a security solution within our company.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the devices are very good and reliable.

The product is easy to use.

It's quite a stable solution.

The installation process is easy.

Technical support has always been very good.

What needs improvement?

It's a good device yet it's not a market leader. There are better options for customers to choose from.

There could be a bit more functions on offer that could make it easier to use.

We have used the solution for four years. It's been a while. We have a bit of experience with it at this point.

The stability is great and the performance is good. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze.

We have about 2,000 users on the product currently.

Cisco technical support is the best in the world. They are very helpful and responsive and we are always satisfied with the amount of assistance we get.

Previous to this solution, we did not use anything else.

It's straightforward to set up. The product isn't too complex in terms of implementation. It takes about two days to deploy everything.

You only need two people for installation. We have two technicians for the installation of the product and two engineers for managing the product.

We handle the implementation ourselves in-house. We don't need outside consultants or integrators.

We pay a yearly subscription for signatures and stuff for the filtering, debugging inspection.

We did not evaluate anything before we started using Cisco. We didn't evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

We always use two versions behind the latest version. We do not use the latest version typically.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten.

I wouldn't recommend the solution to other users or organizations at this time.

Director at Cros Elements LLC
    Powerful, easy to set up, and nice interface
    • "The security is very good."
    • "Sometimes I find it difficult to manage. Some configurations are difficult for new engineers, for example."

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for internet traffic security. It's for protection.

What is most valuable?

We don't have a problem with the user interface and it is pretty user-friendly.

We don't mind the cost.

The security is very good.

Cisco is very good, very powerful.

It's a reliable, stable product in general. It's better than the competition.

The product is easy to set up.

It is a stable product.

We find the product to be scalable.

What needs improvement?

How to improve the solution depends on the usage.

It could be more flexible.

I've been using the solution for the last ten years.

This is a very stable, reliable product. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

It's a scalable product.

We have 500 to 600 people using the solution.

Before, it was very easy to get in touch with support. However, it's become more difficult. It can take a long time to get an answer. We also have to deal with time differences, which can make it harder to get an answer.

It is very easy for me to implement the solution. It's very good, it's very easy. There are command planning and equations. Cisco is very simple. We don't have issue with Cisco.

The deployment depends on the product you use and the network design.

You can do it in small batches. It can take some time to refresh. It might take one or two days.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Cisco customer and end-user.

We've been using the mid-range version since 2012.

I'd rate the solution around eight out of ten.

Cisco is great. It's likely number one in the world. I'd recommend the solution as it is a very powerful product. However, it's best to have Cisco experts on staff or available to you to make things easier.

User at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
    A leading security solution that integrates easily with other Cisco products
    • "Cisco products are very secure and integrate easily with other devices."
    • "The graphical user interface or the GUI could be better. Beginners can use some devices with the GUI, but some security devices are configured using CLI. It would also be better if it had its own Intrusion Protection Service and Intrusion Detection Service on the server."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco IOS Security for integration purposes. We have Cisco features and Cisco devices in our organization. We use it as an integration system for Cisco devices.

What is most valuable?

Cisco products are very secure and integrate easily with other devices.

What needs improvement?

The graphical user interface or the GUI could be better. Beginners can use some devices with the GUI, but some security devices are configured using CLI. It would also be better if it had its own Intrusion Protection Service and Intrusion Detection Service on the server.

I have been using Cisco IOS Security for more than three years.

Cisco IOS Security has been stable so far.

The device is not scalable because the device was manufactured with a specific product specification. To scale, you have to plan and add more devices. We have about 12,000 users.

They are supportive and have the technical skills to support us. If I have challenges with a Cisco product, they help me based on their subscription fee.

On a scale from one to five, I would give Cisco technical support a five.

Positive

The initial setup is straightforward for IT users. It takes about one hour to implement this solution because we have to upgrade the framework on some of the devices.

On a scale from one to five, I would give the initial setup a five.

On a scale from one to five, I would give Cisco's pricing a four.

What other advice do I have?

We chose Cisco because the company has an excellent market rating, users are familiar with Cisco, and they can deploy Cisco products. Using Cisco also improves the security mechanism of all devices from end to end.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco IOS Security an eight.

Download our free Cisco IOS Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: October 2022