System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Well integrated, easy learning curve, highly dependable
  • "The solution is easy to use and to learn. It is well integrated with VMware."
  • "This solution is lacking in replication and backup abilities that I would like to see in a future release similar to HPE SimpliVity."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a host environment for applications and also for VDI.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and to learn. It is well integrated with VMware.

Additionally, the solution is flexible, we have projects in a few sectors such as the environmental and oil industries. It has been working well overall.

What needs improvement?

This solution is lacking in replication and backup abilities that I would like to see in a future release similar to HPE SimpliVity.

I have been using the solution for two years.

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable, it has been able to perform all the tasks we have used it for. It is very reliable.

The solution is scalable and it is easy to expand in storage and other areas, such as if you want to increase the nodes it is very simple. We currently have approximately 3000 users using the solution.

We have never had an issue that would need their support.

I have used HPE SimpliVity previously and it had some other features that this solution does not have that are useful.

The initial setup was straightforward, the solution does a lot of the configuration by itself. The installation should take approximately a few hours if you have all the prerequisites in place.

We did the implementation ourselves and we have two network engineers doing the deployments and maintenance of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We have plans to keep using the solution in the future. We have one standard traditional environment and also hyper-converged with Cisco. We are planning to add more hardware to increase capacity because we are almost at full capacity now. We are going to increase the infrastructure due to the ramping up of operations.

If you want a reliable solution then I would advise choosing this one.

I rate Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series an eight out of ten.

Software Developer at FNB South Africa
Integration with the ACI network is very easy but it's difficult to integrate with other vendors
  • "It's very easy to integrate with the ACI network."
  • "Lacks easy integration with other vendors."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of HyperFlex is for storage. We are customers of Cisco.

What is most valuable?

The integration to the network is a great thing. It's very easy to integrate with the ACI network which is Cisco's new network topology. It improves the accessibility of the data on HyperFlex, on their storage. It's similar to V-Storage on VMware and it integrates very well with the network.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see easier integration with other vendors. For example, it wasn't that easy to integrate with VMware initially but eventually it worked. Ideally, I'd like to see the option of integrating with those devices on cloud, to use storage from our on-prem in a bucket in the cloud. We haven't yet seen any documentation regarding that. We need to find a way to share resources between on-prem and cloud.

We've had this solution implemented for five years.

Initially, HyperFlex wasn't so stable but from the last update, it's been very stable.

The solution is very scalable.

The initial setup is not so straightforward, but as soon as it's set up, it's easy to integrate with other things. We generally deploy in-house with some assistance from Cisco. When we initially implemented, the deployment took a while because it was new to us, and new to the market. In particular, the integration to VMware wasn't easy, but since then, it has been very smooth. The entire company uses this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product, I think it's a good device to use. It's not for medium-sized businesses, more for enterprise-level. The integration with VMware is fairly easy and smooth nowadays; it's fairly stable and scalable. It's a good product to try out.

I rate this solution seven out of 10.

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series
December 2022
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BhaveshParmar - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Head at Intercraft
High performance, scalable, but repeated error not resolved
  • "The most valuable feature of Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is its performance."
  • "I have been receiving a memory overflow message every day when I use the solution."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is its performance.

What needs improvement?

I have been receiving a memory overflow message every day when I use the solution.

This memory overflow error is a cosmetic error. Over the last three years, I have been talking with Cisco to remove this error. Cisco and VMware should cross-check and troubleshoot this issue to come to a solution. They should remove it as soon as possible.

I have been using Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series for approximately three years.

The solution is stable. However, we have had a memory overflow error, that has not to be resolved but it is only a cosmetic error.

The scalability of the Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series has been very good for what we are using it for in the current project.

We have approximately 400 users using this solution.

We do not plan to increase usage at least for the next six months.

We have not had a good experience with the support. They were not very helpful with the cosmetic error we were receiving.

I have used other solutions previously, such as Nutanix. I find that Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is better than Nutanix. Cisco products have better performance overall.

I did not face any problems in the implementation.

We had a partner do the implementation of the solution. I was not happy with the partner because they have not resolved the error message we have been receiving from Cisco after months of conversations.

The partner support could improve.

All of our maintenance is handled by our partner.

There is a license required to use this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series a seven out of ten.

Abdelhadi El Ghanioui - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior System Engineer at Intelcom
An easy, flexible and secure solution, but the pricing can be better
  • "Overall, the solution is extremely easy, flexible and secure."
  • "When it comes to customer needs, the licensing price could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are implementing the solution for Hyper-converged systems.

What is most valuable?

I find the Hyperflex most valuable. It compares well with Nutanix.

What needs improvement?

The minimum for running involves three nodes, which is the number I use for running the patch. The solution is not very good when it comes to a single node. 64 is the maximum number of nodes.

As I work with Hypervisor or VMware, the solution usually is easy when it comes to monitoring and backup. I rely on backup and monitoring capabilities. I use Veeam, for example, as a backup solution and SolarWinds for my monitoring needs.

I am a gold partner of Cisco and am entitled to a discounted price. When it comes to customer needs, the licensing price could be better. By comparison, Nutanix is more affordable. The choice of Cisco varies with the needs of the client.

The solution is extremely stable. I work in Hyperflex. The customer can simply send.

The solution is extendable and flexible for administrative purposes. I will normally deploy and cluster the containment in six nodes, with another in four, in three and in five.

Overall, the solution is extremely easy, flexible and secure.

Technical support is okay, although I have never opened a ticket with them.

The initial setup and deployment of the solution is extremely easy. All that must be done is to prepare the infrastructure and IP, at which point it can be deployed with ease.

What other advice do I have?

There are five or six customers who make use of the solution.

Hyperflex developed its first platform in 2015, while Simplivity and Nutanix did so in 2009.

The solution centralizes everything in a single IP. It is extremely simple, secure and good for deployment.

I rate Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series as a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
Pre-Sales Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Easy to implement and set up but is expensive
  • "The implementation process is okay."
  • "The utilization needs to be better. It needs more options."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The implementation process is okay.

What needs improvement?

HyperFlex, compared to other competitors like VxRail or Nutanix, has stability issues.

The utilization needs to be better. It needs more options.

For HX, we need to install a specific virtual machine on each node as a controller. For VxRail, we don't have to do this since it's a built-in feature on VMware.

For the solution to work, we need to buy specific switches from Cisco. It's not flexible, actually. I wouldn't recommend using it.

The cost is pretty high.

I've used the product for three or four years.

I'm also familiar with VxRail and Nutanix. They are working with other platforms, and other techniques. Therefore they are more stable. They also have more storage options.

It is pretty easy to set up. It's not overly complex. The implementation is simple.

We can implement the cluster within one hour.

The solution is more expensive since switches are one of the things that add cost to the solution. The service is a little bit more costly as well. They cost more than other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners and resellers.

I wouldn't recommend HyperFlex.

If a company has options, I would say they should look at VxRail or Nutanix as the first option.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

Pre-Sales Engineer at Raya Integration
A fully contained, virtual server platform with a valuable Cisco Intersight feature
  • "I like Cisco Intersight."
  • "The price could be better. I think it's more expensive than VxRail. In the next release, I would like to see a better level of protection and availability with six clients."

What is our primary use case?

We are consultants, and we set up this product for our customers.

What is most valuable?

I like Cisco Intersight.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. I think it's more expensive than VxRail. In the next release, I would like to see a better level of protection and availability with six clients.

I have been working with Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series for about two months.

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is a stable solution.

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is a scalable solution. We have five or six people working on this solution.

Technical support is good.

I used to work with traditional solutions such as the UCS-C220 product.

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is expensive. It's a standard license, and we pay for it yearly. I think we pay about 700.

VxRail is cheaper, more flexible than HyperFlex, and easy to back up. Most customers see that VxRail is more affordable, so why should I go with HyperFlex?

What other advice do I have?

I will tell potential users that I think it's a good product.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series an eight.

Data Center Engineer at Emerging Communications Limited
Good value for money with full Cisco integration

What is our primary use case?

I use HyperFlex for high-performance infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is full integration with Cisco API and UCS, which means you can have complete networking and storage from Cisco.

What needs improvement?

HyperFlex could be improved by reducing the minimum number of nodes supported from three to two. In the next release, Cisco should include full integration with other virtualization vendors like Nutanix, the same way they do with VMware.

I've been using HyperFlex for a year.

HyperFlex is very stable because it has complete solutions for networking and computing from Cisco.

HyperFlex is very scalable because you can scale up by increasing the number of nodes and scale out by increasing the number of discs in the storage.

Most of Cisco's products come with warrants and SmartNet, so if you have an issue, the customer interface allows you to rate it, and the technical team will respond based on the critical level.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The setup is very easy, I'd rate it five out of five.

HyperFlex is relatively expensive, but you get good value for money.

What other advice do I have?

I would give HyperFlex a rating of nine out of ten.

IT Infrastructure Engineer at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Usable, scalable, and easy to set up
  • "I find the usability very valuable."
  • "You have to get the same servers with the same storage; they need to be identical. However, in vSAN or in VMware we don't have to do that. We can just add storage and manage it in the same server."

What is our primary use case?

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is essential to our vSAN solution; it's integrated.

What is most valuable?

I find the usability very valuable.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see more integration with VMware. I would also like to see more automation with other Cisco products so that we could have one dashboard for all Cisco products.

We've been using Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series this year.

The scalability of Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is good.

We currently have 1,000 to, maybe, 10,000 users.

I have found the technical support to be very good.

The initial setup is straightforward. I think it took two to three hours maximum to set up.

We have two engineers and one manager for deployment and maintenance.

We used a system integrator consultant for the implementation.

There is no additional licensing cost other than the cost for each part.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series and would rate it at nine on a scale from one to ten.

Download our free Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022