We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Hoang Quan Nguyen
Infrastructure Integration Analyst at a government with 10,001+ employees
Provides flexibility, scalability, performance and availability; prevents need for disaster recovery
  • "Stretch cluster allows us to warranty a service for the customer."
  • "There are sometimes issues with memory failure."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary goal is to have a solution that enables us to have 100% uptime between two sites. That's why we're using HyperFlex. It has a very critical application. We are a government organization with around 15,000 users although that can go up to 25,000 in peak times. I'm an infrastructure integration analyst.

What is most valuable?

I like the stretch cluster, it's a feature that allows us to warranty a service for the customer that has to be 100% uptime. That aside, the solution also has flexibility, scalability, performance and availability. The main objective for us is DRA, Disaster Recovery Avoidance. We don't want to go into disaster recovery so our aim is for 100% avoidance. The hardware might not be perfect but Cisco is very proactive with their support.

What needs improvement?

There are sometimes issues with memory failure. I'd also like to be notified when new documentation comes out, it would make things easier. I think the cost is an issue given that it's so much cheaper to use cloud based solutions these days. I don't know whether HyperFlex can compete with that. There can sometimes be issues if you change your mind on something and want to move things around.

I've been using this solution for three years.

It's a stable solution.

This is a scalable product.

Every time I have a problem I contact the HyperFlex team and they solve it.

Implementation requires having a roadmap and steps in place. If you have that, it's pretty straightforward because you know exactly where you need to input your specific information from your own environment. Maintenance is not very demanding, we have five people who can deal with that, but it wouldn't take up more than 10% of their time on any one day. Once it's up and running, it's stable.

We are evaluating VMware Hybrid Solution and HPE SV signatures. HPE has very good hardware, but they don't have a good software defined solution. There are so many screens and sometimes it's a burden for us on the tech side.

What other advice do I have?

I think any business could use HyperFlex, it's a good solution for big or small business.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Well integrated, easy learning curve, highly dependable
  • "The solution is easy to use and to learn. It is well integrated with VMware."
  • "This solution is lacking in replication and backup abilities that I would like to see in a future release similar to HPE SimpliVity."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a host environment for applications and also for VDI.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and to learn. It is well integrated with VMware.

Additionally, the solution is flexible, we have projects in a few sectors such as the environmental and oil industries. It has been working well overall.

What needs improvement?

This solution is lacking in replication and backup abilities that I would like to see in a future release similar to HPE SimpliVity.

I have been using the solution for two years.

The solution is stable, it has been able to perform all the tasks we have used it for. It is very reliable.

The solution is scalable and it is easy to expand in storage and other areas, such as if you want to increase the nodes it is very simple. We currently have approximately 3000 users using the solution.

We have never had an issue that would need their support.

I have used HPE SimpliVity previously and it had some other features that this solution does not have that are useful.

The initial setup was straightforward, the solution does a lot of the configuration by itself. The installation should take approximately a few hours if you have all the prerequisites in place.

We did the implementation ourselves and we have two network engineers doing the deployments and maintenance of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We have plans to keep using the solution in the future. We have one standard traditional environment and also hyper-converged with Cisco. We are planning to add more hardware to increase capacity because we are almost at full capacity now. We are going to increase the infrastructure due to the ramping up of operations.

If you want a reliable solution then I would advise choosing this one.

I rate Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Systems Engineer at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
A complete hyper-converged solution for on-premises deployments, but its price can be better
  • "It is a complete package. For any kind of on-premises hyper-converged solution, we usually have to separate networks, but Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is a complete solution. It has its own network and storage. The storage part is the most valuable feature."
  • "Its price could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We have a remote site. We are developing this site so that we can locally access the VMware environment with the least network bandwidth. We have deployed the ESXi host virtual edition.

What is most valuable?

It is a complete package. For any kind of on-premises hyper-converged solution, we usually have to separate networks, but Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is a complete solution. It has its own network and storage. The storage part is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Its price could be better.

I have been using Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series for the last one and a half years.

It is stable. There are no issues.

We have not contacted them regarding Cisco HyperFlex because the setup was straightforward. We have a team in the USA, and they were mostly dealing with any kind of sales-related queries, but for technical support, we have not encountered any problem to engage them.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment took around two hours.

Its price is rather fair when compared with other solutions like VxRail, vSAN, and HPE SimpliVity. We got a fair amount of discount from Cisco for Cisco HyperFlex.

It is cost-effective. We have renewed storage till next year, and we have already paid the vendor. When we talk about HyperFlex or any HCI solution, storage is the part where we can reduce a lot of costs. At the current moment, we are already using NetApp storage, which did not allow us to go for a full Cisco HyperFlex setup. We are planning to go to a larger scale next year. Then we will be able to see how cost-effective it really is for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would encourage people to go with this solution. I would rate Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series a seven out of ten because we have not tested all the features so far.

BhaveshParmar
IT Head at Intercraft
High performance, scalable, but repeated error not resolved
  • "The most valuable feature of Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is its performance."
  • "I have been receiving a memory overflow message every day when I use the solution."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is its performance.

What needs improvement?

I have been receiving a memory overflow message every day when I use the solution.

This memory overflow error is a cosmetic error. Over the last three years, I have been talking with Cisco to remove this error. Cisco and VMware should cross-check and troubleshoot this issue to come to a solution. They should remove it as soon as possible.

I have been using Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series for approximately three years.

The solution is stable. However, we have had a memory overflow error, that has not to be resolved but it is only a cosmetic error.

The scalability of the Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series has been very good for what we are using it for in the current project.

We have approximately 400 users using this solution.

We do not plan to increase usage at least for the next six months.

We have not had a good experience with the support. They were not very helpful with the cosmetic error we were receiving.

I have used other solutions previously, such as Nutanix. I find that Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is better than Nutanix. Cisco products have better performance overall.

I did not face any problems in the implementation.

We had a partner do the implementation of the solution. I was not happy with the partner because they have not resolved the error message we have been receiving from Cisco after months of conversations.

The partner support could improve.

All of our maintenance is handled by our partner.

There is a license required to use this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series a seven out of ten.

Abdelhadi El Ghanioui
Senior System Engineer at Intelcom
An easy, flexible and secure solution, but the pricing can be better
  • "Overall, the solution is extremely easy, flexible and secure."
  • "When it comes to customer needs, the licensing price could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are implementing the solution for Hyper-converged systems.

What is most valuable?

I find the Hyperflex most valuable. It compares well with Nutanix.

What needs improvement?

The minimum for running involves three nodes, which is the number I use for running the patch. The solution is not very good when it comes to a single node. 64 is the maximum number of nodes.

As I work with Hypervisor or VMware, the solution usually is easy when it comes to monitoring and backup. I rely on backup and monitoring capabilities. I use Veeam, for example, as a backup solution and SolarWinds for my monitoring needs.

I am a gold partner of Cisco and am entitled to a discounted price. When it comes to customer needs, the licensing price could be better. By comparison, Nutanix is more affordable. The choice of Cisco varies with the needs of the client.

The solution is extremely stable. I work in Hyperflex. The customer can simply send.

The solution is extendable and flexible for administrative purposes. I will normally deploy and cluster the containment in six nodes, with another in four, in three and in five.

Overall, the solution is extremely easy, flexible and secure.

Technical support is okay, although I have never opened a ticket with them.

The initial setup and deployment of the solution is extremely easy. All that must be done is to prepare the infrastructure and IP, at which point it can be deployed with ease.

What other advice do I have?

There are five or six customers who make use of the solution.

Hyperflex developed its first platform in 2015, while Simplivity and Nutanix did so in 2009.

The solution centralizes everything in a single IP. It is extremely simple, secure and good for deployment.

I rate Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series as a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
Team Lead - ITIS at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
From an administrative perspective, the whole interface is seamless

What is our primary use case?

We have hosted a few use cases. Windows developed an application that we hosted in the production environment and all SQL database servers. After that, we used HyperFlex HCI to host DNS and DCP servers as well as various IT-related production servers.

What is most valuable?

HyperFlex's formatting features are easy to use.  It's a one-click operation. From an administrative perspective, the whole interface is seamless.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, Cisco should add more integration and management capabilities as well as some tweaks to the dashboard that make it more user-friendly. They could also add support for multiple hypervisors.

Performance-wise, everything is good. So far,…

What needs improvement?

Performance-wise, everything is good. So far, we haven't had any issues. There has been no downtime at all.

For scalability, I would rate HyperFlex nine out of 10.

We've received good support throughout the implementation and afterward.

HyperFlex setup is very easy.

We used help from vendor support during the setup.

HyperFlex is a little pricey.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I rate HyperFlex eight out of 10. I would recommend it to others. It's a good product.

IT systems specialist with 1-10 employees
User-friendly, simple installation and configuration

What is most valuable?

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is simple to use, user-friendly and has been best for our purposes.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more customization.

I have used Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series within the past 12 months.

I have found Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series to be reliable and stable.

The scalability of the Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is good.

The support of the solution is good, we have not had a problem.

The implementation and configuration of the Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series were easy. The full deployment…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having more customization.

I have used Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series within the past 12 months.

I have found Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series to be reliable and stable.

The scalability of the Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is good.

The support of the solution is good, we have not had a problem.

The full deployment took approximately three months.

We did the implementation with the help of a partner.

The price of the solution could be reduced, it is a little expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is you must have the project very well defined, or you will get in trouble.

I rate Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series a ten out of ten.

Solution Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Responsive technical support , reliable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

I have many clients using this solution for a number of reasons, such as unified communications and collaboration.

What needs improvement?

There could be an increase in performance to improve the solution.

I have been using the solution for approximately four years.

The solution is reliable.

We have had no problems with the scalability of the solution.

The technical support has been very good for this solution.

I would rate the installation of Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series an eight out of ten. However, it can be complex.…

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

There could be an increase in performance to improve the solution.

I have been using the solution for approximately four years.

The solution is reliable.

We have had no problems with the scalability of the solution.

The technical support has been very good for this solution.

We are on an annual subscription and the price is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Cisco HyperFlex HX-SeriesRev an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
Hyper-Converged (HCI)
Download our free Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.