IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Blue Prism Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Blue Prism Cloud is #15 ranked solution in best RPA tools. PeerSpot users give Blue Prism Cloud an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. Blue Prism Cloud is most commonly compared to Blue Prism: Blue Prism Cloud vs Blue Prism. Blue Prism Cloud is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
Blue Prism Cloud Buyer's Guide

Download the Blue Prism Cloud Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Blue Prism Cloud?

The Thoughtonomy Virtual Workforce is a highly flexible intelligent automation platform. It uses software to replicate the way people work in existing applications and systems, the processes they follow, and the decisions they make, to deliver automation without disruption.

Blue Prism Cloud was previously known as Blue Prism Thoughtonomy Virtual Workforce, Blue Prism Virtual Workforce, Thoughtonomy Virtual Workforce.

Blue Prism Cloud Customers

Cabot Credit Management, Hovis, Utilita

Blue Prism Cloud Video

Archived Blue Prism Cloud Reviews (more than two years old)

Prasad Gangiredla - PeerSpot reviewer
Technology Director at Randstad USA
Good automation for Google Sheets, and offers support for custom coding
  • "The most valuable feature is the ability to write custom code."
  • "I would like to see a web-based control room, rather than the one that is in-built with the desktop version."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Blue Prism for the automation of Google Sheets. We were helping our finance department in automating their processes that include Google Sheets, email, and web-based applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The latest version, 6.6, has introduced a lot of new features that are helping to make our lives easier.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to write custom code. This makes it more helpful than Automation Anywhere or other RPA tools.

The control room is good.

In the latest update, the Google Sheets automation works well. In the prior five versions, this was not user-friendly and did not work well.

The visualizations for different automations are good.

What needs improvement?

Integration with different databases would be an improvement because there are certain things that are not compatible with Blue Prism.

The is much improvement needed in the hyper-automation components, such as insights.

We would like to have more reusable components from different vendors, as it would make things easier for us. For example, drag-and-drop downloads that can be used within our automations.

Blue Prism Cloud
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Blue Prism Cloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using Blue Prism for more than three years.

We are using both Automation Anywhere and Blue Prism for automating our processes. The ability to write custom code in Blue Prism makes it more helpful than Automation Anywhere.

Private Cloud
Business Application Manager at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
Customizable, a GUI that is easy to use, and the community support is good
  • "The most valuable feature is the customizability."
  • "Having more AI functionality would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Blue Prism for unattended automation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the customizability. It is very easy to edit packages, where you can download a package and it is 90% of the way there.

The GUI is nice.

What needs improvement?

Having more AI functionality would be an improvement.

We have been using Blue Prism for two months.

This is the most stable RPA product that I have reviewed.

We have three developers working with the product and there are 60 or 70 end-users who are benefiting from the automation.

I have only reached out to technical support on one occasion and I felt that it was fine.

The community support and documentation are much better than I thought.

The initial setup is straightforward. Installing the software might take a few hours.

I am working with a partner but they just sent me the disk and I installed it myself.

In addition to Blue Prism, I evaluated UiPath and Automation Anywhere. I found that Blue Prism was the most stable and it is very reusable. These are the two reasons that I selected the product.

We did not choose Automation Anywhere because it was the wrong type of automation. We wanted a more unattended bot. It is more for people with no programming skills.

The difference between Blue Prism and UiPath is that with Blue Prism, we were able to ramp up better. We took the training for both products and implemented the same five use cases. For me, it was more painful to do it in UiPath.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, I haven't found anything that I can't do with this platform. It is a product that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Tom Brouillette - PeerSpot reviewer
Tom BrouilletteSenior Principal Consultant at NCS Partners
Top 10Real User

Thank you for this review.  It provides good incite into the market and your reasons for selection.  This is a relatively immature market and direct user evaluations are valuable

Blue Prism Cloud
August 2022
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Research Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good security and scales well, but the pricing needs to be more clear
  • "The most valuable feature is security."
  • "The vendor does not make their pricing clear when you are searching for it, which is something that needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting firm and we provide consultancy services to our clients. Part of our service is the recommendation of products and solutions to fit the requirements of our customers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is security.

What needs improvement?

The vendor does not make their pricing clear when you are searching for it, which is something that needs to be improved. When we are researching solutions for our clients, it is important for us to be able to give them at least some generic prices or the cost of licenses. It would help in the decision-making process.

This particular product from Blue Prism is new for us and we have only been working with it for about a month.

Stability is one of the ingrained qualities. Where it is deployed, it has to work smoothly.

It is important that when updates are released, they are easily manageable. That is one of the important things.

This is the type of solution that has to be scalable.

We have not had a need to contact technical support at this point.

The initial setup and deployment are complex. It is being deployed over multiple locations in the public sector. There are a number of branch offices and the different units have to be able to work together. It is also important that we minimize disturbance and interference with their operations during the deployment.

The deployment takes place over months.

We are in the process of evaluating several solutions for our clients. One problem with Blue Prism is that compared to Automation Anywhere, it is lacking in publically available information that describes it. This makes it more difficult for our customers to make an informed decision about implementing it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
Gilles Cardoen - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Consultant at Tobania
Scales up at an enterprise-level but it needs to be more user-friendly
  • "Blue Prism is able to scale up at an enterprise-level. It's what I used when I was working for a big bank in Belgium."
  • "They should improve the user-friendliness and they should change their business model."

What needs improvement?

The user-friendliness needs improvement. It's still a bit more IT-minded. I'm personally looking for a more business-minded RPA. It's the two big ways of using RPA in my experience. You can implement that RPA from an IT perspective, and then it's just one of the many tools, and it's not really a revolution, it's just a small state, or you can see it as really a business tool.

Business people use it and automate their own business processes and it's really revolutionary because you don't need any IT knowledge. You just need a good app for processes. Those are the two ways of approaching RPAs, and for my part, I'm interested in the business parts.

We have been using Blue Prism for two years.

Scalability all depends on what kind of processes. If it's a process that goes to the whole enterprise, adopt the RPA goal, it will be of strong importance. All the IT tools are much more powerful, fast and reliable.

If it's the business side and it's all small tasks and processes that can be automated. That's the interesting part. That's the scalability of RPA on the business side, but it's all small tasks and processes. The scalability will be how many processes you perform, and which structure you put in place so that everything runs smoothly, and you can do proper maintenance and change management.

I haven't had any issues with technical support. From the UiPath side, they're not really responsive when we ask things. It can be months before they answer. With UiPath, you are all on your own. There's no real support. I haven't experienced any support, but that's also because it's a free tool, until a certain level.

I also use the free UiPath platform. It's a very strong go-to-market proposition. You can't have that with Blue Prism. UiPath is also user-friendly. I found UiPath much easier to use and more straightforward than Blue Prism.

I haven't seen any technical differences between both products. Everything I could do with Blue Prism, I can do with UiPath.

Blue Prism is able to scale up at an enterprise-level. It's what I used when I was working for a big bank in Belgium. UiPath is better for smaller companies and SMBs because of its user-friendliness.

If a product is offered for free, just to step in, instead of directly paying heavy investments, I think a lot of enterprises, especially in the SME, SMB business, will have much more interest in such kind of products.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Blue Prism a seven out of ten.

They should improve the user-friendliness and they should change their business model. Because companies need to become a partner and have to pay €60,000 upfront, or be a member upfront, to be partners. So, it's a bit of a waste of money. I don't understand their business model.

The tool is there but it should be a self-service tool where people just buy the program and use it. Why make it so complicated?

It is really a program for business users, so why make it so complicated with implementers and partnerships et cetera?

Senior Consultant - Intelligent Automations at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, low licensing costs, and excellent documentation
  • "The reusability of the solution is excellent. It's a superior feature - far superior to any other tool on the market."
  • "I personally would like the solution to be supporting more languages."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in the banking and telecom sectors. We implement the solution for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is excellent. You don't need to be a technical person to use it. You don't need to have a programming background. If you compare it with other tools they would require you to have a basic understanding of at least one programming language. That's not required here. If you are good at algorithms, if you can write flow charts, you can run this tool easily.

The solution has the best documentation on the market. It makes it super-easy to install and operate.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of things that can be improved. I know most of the things are in the pipeline. They've now admitted, for example, a web-based control room would be much more beneficial. They're working on building that.

The solution needs a more out-of-the-box connector with leading applications around the world. There should be more flexibility to do some calculations on the goals from the studio itself.

I personally would like the solution to be supporting more languages.

There should be a digital exchange where users can download functions to incorporate into their existing processes.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is very stable. It has fewer bugs than other products.

The solution is very scalable and easily expands as necessary.

How often the solution is used, be it daily or weekly, depends on the company and its pipeline.

We've contacted technical support.

Blue Prism support is very accessible. The access to the web portal and the support section takes a bit of time. I do not like the web-based support model they have. However, when they include the personal touch, it's just amazing. You can contact them easily anytime and they can reply back to you anytime. I like that.

We also have experience with UiPath. In comparison to UiPath, Blue Prism is more resilient and reusable, however, UiPath is faster when it comes to building a process.

The initial setup was very easy. It's not complex at all. There are instructions that you have to follow to install the software and they are very easy. You just go step by step by step and then you are done. The documentation provided is thorough and excellent.

There are two parts to installation. One part is the tool setup and the second part is actually building the processes. If you talk about the tool setup aspect it can be done in a day. In total, it will take about one or two days to set it up completely.

One person can deploy the solution.

The licensing cost and the cost of ownership is lower than the competition if you are looking to scale to 20+ licenses.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Platinum Blue Prism partner.

The solution offers a trial version now, so it's super easy, now, compared to six months back when there was no free version. It used to be hard to know if the solution was right and companies would have to risk spending money to find out. Now, the solution is similar to UiPath, which has been offering free trials since the beginning.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Head of Solution Development at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Provides flexibility and simplicity in building automation
  • "The ease of building automation and the development environment"
  • "Lacking advance features like CIO and optical character recognition"

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for automation. To date, we have automated approximately 50 use cases for different functions including finance, order management and fuel pricing. Most of our projects are finance-related and we use the product on a daily basis.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would be Object studio - the ease of building automation, the development environment where you basically build the flows and the logic. The other aspect of value is its support for security controls and data integrity.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by including advance features like OCR - optical character recognition - which are currently not native to the product. We are looking at integrating Blue Prism with other products. They've told us that Blue Prism Decipher is coming with intelligent document processing solution, but I haven't seen it.

It would be good to see OCR integration and OCR capabilities included in the solution and, of course, going forward, artificial intelligence and machine learning capabilities.

I've been using the product for the past year.

We haven't had any major crashes or bugs in the product.

It's quite a scalable product.

Technical support have been very responsive.

We previously used a different solution that was a desktop-based automation tool. Blue Prism is a server-based product that is a more mature and stable product compared to what we were using earlier. The differences between the two products are not related to whether it's on cloud or not, this is just a better solution.

Initial setup was not too difficult, the difficult part was our own infrastructure and the cloud set up. We had internal resources and consultants helping. The  whole setup and deployment of the solution took almost three months which included architecture of the infrastructure, installing Blue Prism and starting automation.

We have developed in-house capability on RPA, though we did get initial support from external consultants.

It's a little too early for us to be able to judge the ROI because we have a long-term view of investment and returns. We expect the return to pay off in four to five years, and we're still only in the second year. If you take the complete investment in the whole Blue Prism RPA center of excellence the ROI is still a few years away, but initial results look promising.

We pay to receive enterprise support, so that should be taken into account for anyone wanting to implement the system.

Yes. Along with Blue Prism we evaluated Automation Anywhere, UI Path and NICE.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that anyone using this solution leverage expertise from Blue Prism, which is offered for the first six months. The consultancy advisory services are useful.

I would rate this product an 8 out of 10.

RPA Practice Head at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Great object-oriented design and an excellent security model
  • "Ability to see the blueprint of the design executed alongside the actual process."
  • "There's a need to deal with unstructured input with RPA."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are fairly generic and relate to any type of use case where there is a lot of repetitive activity, what we call "swivel seat" processing, where you might be looking at one application and then you swivel around and enter information from the first application into the second application. A company doesn't necessarily have the manpower or money to integrate the two applications programming-wise, so they hire people to look up information in one application and enter it into another. It's applicable to insurance companies where claim information is transferred from one application into another, or quotes for customers that come in via one system and then needs to be manually entered into another system. We see a lot of financial application type use cases, whether it's vendor creation, vendor invoicing, bank reconciliations or general ledger end-of-month reconciliations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would be the ability to see the blueprint of the design executed alongside the actual process.

What needs improvement?

Improvement could be made with training and access to an ecosystem and developer's forum. I would suggest building out the ecosystem for developers to obtain training on the tool without having to make a heavy investment in licenses. For additional features, there's always a huge need to deal with unstructured input with RPA and I'd love to see built-in intelligence automation tools to deal with unstructured inputs.

It's a pretty stable solution.

I think the scalability capabilities are quite high.

The technical support is average.

Initial setup was quite complex, it's not a simple installation and takes a fair amount of high-level infrastructure and architectural knowledge to be able to complete the installation. Deployment took a couple of days.

Implementation usually requires at least one developer, one BA, an infrastructure engineer, a solution architect, and some assistance during deployment. Then you'd need somebody monitoring the virtual workforce. There are probably seven or eight different roles, some with heavier reliance, throughout the implementation cycle.

Annual licensing costs were somewhere between $5,000 - $10,000 for the development tool. For the control tower, I think fees were about $50,000 annually.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice, I'd say that if you have the technical expertise, it's a good tool, however, it's difficult to get training without being involved in a project. So it's kind of hard to break into it, as opposed to some of the competitors' tools where anybody can download the tool and get working and learning without having to actually be on a project. It helps to have access to free training and tools and community additions of the tool which unfortunately doesn't really come from Blue Prism.

It's a very sound tool with a good reputation for having a good security model, which is important to a lot of companies and it's got more of an object-oriented design flavor to it. Deployment is a mix of private, public and hybrid cloud. There is about a 50/50 split between Azure and AWS.

I would rate the product an eight out of 10. I will likely give it a higher rating when there is easier access for people who want to learn how to use the tool. I think that's what's holding us back.

Senior Program Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good backend office automation capabilities and competitively priced
  • "This solution comes with a lot of good features."
  • "Selecting the right business processes that are stable enough to automate can be challenging."

What is our primary use case?

We are a tech services company and we implement RPA solutions for our customers, such as the Blue Prism Thoughtonomy Virtual Workforce.

We have implemented this solution in a number of different industries including IT, insurance, banking, consumer industries, and retail. We have used it in any industry that you can name, including the airlines.

The deployment model and environment vary based on the requirements.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the backend office automation.

This solution comes with a lot of good features.

What needs improvement?

Introducing new ways to accelerate the automation journey would be a real help.

I have been using Blue Prism for more than ten years.

This solution is pretty stable. Some of our clients have automated complex processes and it works well. We have seen no issues with it.

We have not seen any problems with technical support. Extended support and training are available.

We use multiple RPA products including UiPath, Automation Anywhere, Blue Prism, WinAutomation, and WorkFusion. The choice of product depends on the customer and their requirements.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on the use case. There are deployments that happen in a week, whereas in other cases, it will take a month or two. It is a question of finding the right process to automate and validating stability. Really, it is more about governance and how they go about process discovery.

There are many RPA solutions available from different vendors and the pricing for Blue Prism is competitive.

What other advice do I have?

There are a lot of RPA vendors available, each with pros and cons. Blue Prism has a lot of capability but the key concern is identifying business processes that can be automated.

Sumanth-Babu - PeerSpot reviewer
Application Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Good user performance with an easy deployment and reliable stability
  • "The user performance is the most valuable feature."
  • "The cost is a bit high. Other tools are much cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

In general, we have primarily used the solution to automate a few processes related to payments, accounts payable, and account queries.

What is most valuable?

The user performance is the most valuable feature.

The ease of deployment is great.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to simplify the user interface. It could be much better and much more appealing.

The cost is a bit high. Other tools are much cheaper.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't faced any problems with it yet and have not run into any bugs or glitches.

We haven't yet scaled extensively, but the solution allows for enough scalability to meet our needs.

We have about 15-20 people currently using the solution. Most are admins, engineers or developers.

I've never personally been in touch with technical support, but my team has been. Since I haven't been directly in touch myself, I cannot speak about any direct experience.

We didn't previously use a different solution. This is the first product we've implemented.

The initial setup is straightforward. However, those setting up the solution are required to have some a bit of knowledge on the product itself. Deployment took about four months because our use case was quite complicated.

We handled the implementation ourselves with the help of some people on our team.

We pay about $15,000 per quarter in licensing costs. We don't have to pay for any other extra costs. There isn't, for example, an extra cost for technical support. We just pay the licensing.

We evaluated a lot of other solutions before deciding on this solution. We evaluated, for example, Automation Anywhere and UiPath.

What other advice do I have?

I can't remember the version we're currently using.

If you are a company that is looking for a solution that is easy to deploy, this would be the perfect solution for you. There are other options to look at as well, so it might be good to compare before choosing one.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

VikasTandon - PeerSpot reviewer
Robotic Process and Test Automation Consultant at OFGEM
A stable architecture with good features that can deliver a quality product
  • "I would say that the stability of Blue Prism is superior to any of the competing products because of the maintainability of the features and the openness of the tool."
  • "Blue Prism is slightly difficult for the non-technical user."

What is our primary use case?

We did not ultimately deploy Blue Prism because we chose to use UiPath instead. However, I have detailed knowledge of this solution.

The primary use case is the building of clean, automated processes. These are then easily used and maintained by the architecture.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Studio.

With respect to the long-term deliverables, this is a quality product.

What needs improvement?

Blue Prism is slightly difficult for the non-technical user.

The centralized, client-server model that this solution uses does not work well and should be broken down into something that is web-based and locally controlled. Designing something in a client-server model is okay, but distributing those packages into a cloud model would be more appropriate.

It is not easy to get training online. They recently opened up their online training for a month, but that is not sufficient for training an individual who has other jobs to do.

Blue Prism has to tidy up their licensing policies. They are restrictive and the minimum length is three years. Smaller organizations do not have the budget for this and would prefer a one-year contractual period. Many smaller businesses plan ahead perhaps six months or a year, and they do not have a multi-year detailed vision or plan. Three years is quite long for this business model.

I have been familiar with Blue Prism for about a year.

I would say that the stability of Blue Prism is superior to any of the competing products because of the maintainability of the features and the openness of the tool. Even UI navigation can be quickly adapted for your processes.

Being a client-server architecture, I see it as a slight barrier to scalability. If an organization has a dedicated infrastructure set up then it will be easier, but the modern ways of plug and play, and more app-driven the way UiPath is, makes for better scalability.

We did not contact technical support while evaluating this solution.

Ultimately, we chose not to implement this solution for production.

Compared to UiPath, the initial setup is slightly complex. You need to set up a database and other support systems. It will take perhaps a day to deploy and configure properly. If you have all of the tools, permissions, and policies configured then it should not take longer than that.

The licensing structure is complex and the minimum contract length is three years.

We evaluated UiPath and Blue Prism together.

What other advice do I have?

Blue Prism has good features and the tool has the full capability to deliver timely solutions. However, technical training is something that needs to be addressed because making it more available is necessary in order to help an organization grow.

Compared to other products, from a technical point of view with the architecture and the openness of the product, I rate this solution close to the top. Compared to UiPath, this is a very clear and well-presented tool. However, it suffers in terms of marketing and licensing. It is also difficult for people to initially learn. It will take time for an individual or a developer to pick it up, although once they do, it works well.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

RPA Lead Architect and Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Clear and consistent tool that offers valuable debugging features
  • "Once it does the monitor, it collects the respective data and creates an output that is required for reconfiguration."
  • "The main issue is screen scraping with Blue Prism gives us a big challenge because we need to define which technologies are web-based have been built instead of by itself discovering the technology that it is built on."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for reconfiguration. We use it to do our monthly reconfiguration reports. We have an Excel sheet and it logs in to a web-based application and needs to compare the monetary amount of each and every agent of the product. Once it does the monitor, it collects the respective data and creates an output that is required for reconfiguration.

What needs improvement?

Currently, we use version 6. Solution 6 has better features when compared to the 4.5 version. The main issue is screen scraping with Blue Prism gives us a big challenge because we need to define which technologies are web-based and have been built as opposed to it discovering the technology that it is built on. Whether it's a Window-based or Java-based application.

I have been using Blue Prism for about the last two and a half years.

In terms of scalability, we have a control tool where we can add a respective robot. We do automation through the control tool and deploy the solution to let us procure the machine. We can use the scalability for a lot of different issues but the control room itself does not have the dashboard kind of ability. It really doesn't have the ability to monitor how many bots there are.

We used to contact Blue Prism for license parts and if we need another consultant.

Technical support is not as flexible as UiPath but it is very low profile maintained technical support. They fix issues that commonly occur in our RP. Everybody can know the types of issues that can occur and the solutions for them. But they offer very restricted support, only the team would know how to resolve an issue. Blue Prism doesn't offer public solutions to common issues whereas UiPath is really transparent. It offers different solutions to the world.

The initial setup is really straightforward overall. Whereas the other tools require more space for installations.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very consistent end product but recently, I don't think they have any more upgrades to release. It's a very clear and consistent tool but it's restricted when it comes to the ability to integrate with other tools.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. I would rate it this because when compared with UiPath and Automation Anywhere, they do not provide the debugging option and other features that Blue Prism does. Blue Prism offers a better solution.

Executive Director at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A mature product with good automation and very good stability
  • "The product itself is quite mature."
  • "The pricing of the solution could be improved. It's a bit expensive right now. They should work to make it more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for test evaluation. It makes the process very easy.

What is most valuable?

The automation of the processes are very good. It's the most valuable feature of the solution.

The product itself is quite mature.

What needs improvement?

At this point in time, we're very satisfied with the solution. I'm not seeing any features that are missing on it. I handle the business development side and I'm not really using the solution on a technical level, however.

I've been using the solution for about three years.

The stability of the solution is quite good. We haven't come across any glitches.

The solution is quite scalable and robust.

Right now, we have about 15 to 20 people in the company using it.

We've used technical support from Blue Prism in the past and we've been satisfied with the level of service they've provided. We find that we get good service and support from them.

We do tend to use different solutions. We don't use the same solution for every client or even the same kind of implementation.

The initial setup was quite complex. In comparison to other RPA implementations, it's difficult. We had some difficulties when it came to estimating the actual amount of man-hours it would take to set up the solution, and the actual effort needed.

The deployment took a few weeks. We had seven people working on it. Most were engineers. Once it's set up, however, it only takes about one person to handle the maintenance.

We handled the entire implementation in-house using our own team.

Although I don't know the exact costs, my understanding is that there are different definitions of licenses.

We evaluate many options when seeking out what will work best for our clients and their projects. We often look at, for example, UiPath and Automation Anywhere. Ultimately, the client will decide on which solution to use.

What other advice do I have?

I'm quite sure that we are using the latest version of the solution.

We're a software company, so we develop applications and solutions for other companies. If the client looks at Blue Prism and wants it as the robot that will be used as the implementation tool, then that's when we'll use it.

I'd recommend the solution. Blue Prism is a good product. I'd recommend that others make sure that the effort, in terms of the estimation of time and man-hours needed are done in a proper manner. Users implementing the solution need to make sure that they know the processes in detail. They need to understand the manual processes before they can actually automate them. This will help achieve a better estimation of costs.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

Data Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Quite stable which is imperative to the industry we serve
  • "The most valuable feature of Blue Prism's Virtual Workforce is that it is quite stable."
  • "Several things need improvement, like ease-of-use, adding tended robots, adding process recording, and updating the look and feel so it seems modern."

What is our primary use case?

We were involved in implementing this product in many network branches of the Bank of Raiffeisen. It is used for transaction monitoring, automating invoicing, sending documents to customers, and other types of banking transactions.

What is most valuable?

I would say that the most valuable feature in Blue Prism's Virtual Workforce is that it is quite stable and this is imperative to the industry we serve.

What needs improvement?

One area that the product can be improved is the ease-of-use because it is not easy to work with.

Another area where it could improve is adding more automation features that it does not yet have like tended robots. Right now this solution only has unattended RPAs (Robotic Process Automation).

One of the additional features which I would like to see included in the next release is process recording. It is a feature that can actually record some process and convert the processes to code. This can save time so that development could be much more rapid. That would be a very valuable addition.

The interface is pretty user-friendly as it is, but I think it is also an area of Thoughtonomy which could be much better. So it is not bad now but there is quite a bit of room for improvement.

We have been using it since some time in 2016, so it has been three to four years.

The stability of the product is very good, which again is very important to our clients.

I think that the scalability of the product is very good. It is actually very easy to scale.

Group-wide, I think that our organization has somewhere between 70 to 100 developers. That is over 13 countries. We also have plans to increase the usage of automation in the future. We are trying to get our services into every single network bank. I don't know how that will happen and I don't know how long it will take. It is a big undertaking.

I do not know exactly what the pricing is that we get on the product but I know that we get a pretty good deal because we are a huge group. We have over 50,000 employees with good clients and plans for growth, so we were able to negotiate a fairly good price. In general, I am also aware that our organization is satisfied with the cost of the product.

I was not involved in the process of selecting Blue Prism. I have some experience with it and it works, but right now, I'm exploring other options. Specifically, I would like to make a strong comparison with UiPath. There may be other products to explore as well that can improve on our current RPA capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Blue Prism as an eight out of ten.

I do have some other reservations about the product. Personally, I would recommend using something else for automation projects, but I'm not in a position to make that choice in my company. I mean, it is a very good product for doing what it does. It is very stable and does its job. Somehow, even if automation of this type are fairly modern, I feel like Thoughtonomy was created for people who learned to code 30 years ago and not for the developers of today. It may not be taking full advantage of advancement in technology.

Download our free Blue Prism Cloud Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022