IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

BigPanda OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

BigPanda is #3 ranked solution in top IT Alerting and Incident Management tools and #24 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give BigPanda an average rating of 8 out of 10. BigPanda is most commonly compared to Moogsoft: BigPanda vs Moogsoft. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is BigPanda?

BigPanda Autonomous Operations platform is a cutting-edge solution that helps IT Ops, NOC and DevOps teams detect, investigate, and resolve IT incidents faster and more easily than ever before. Powered by Open Box Machine Learning, BigPanda correlates IT noise into insights, automates incident management, and unifies fragmented IT operations.

BigPanda’s Autonomous Operations platform increases the ease with which IT administrators are able to both manage their systems and respond to issues that arise. It combines machine learning and automation, which not only provide administrators with reliable suggestions concerning future issues that may arise, but also allows for certain tasks to be assigned to the system itself. These allow organizations to save both time and resources that can be dedicated to more critical tasks.

BigPanda’s Autonomous Operations platform possesses a simplified and unified user interface, enabling users to manage the solution from one place. The UI allows users to view and manage all of the information and controls that IT teams need to be able to easily access, providing a level of visibility that ensures users will be able to view all of their system’s most up-to-date and critical information at any time that they wish.

Benefits of BigPanda Autonomous Operations Platform

Some the benefits of using BigPanda’s Autonomous Operations platform include:

• The ability to autonomously detect and respond to IT issues. BigPanda’s Autonomous Operations software autonomously searches for and detects issues. When found, its level-zero feature can then handle elementary tasks such as threat prioritization, which would otherwise require a dedicated team to handle. The solution can be adapted to meet your organization’s specific requirements.
  • The ability to receive new threat suggestions based on historical data. Armed with this knowledge, BigPanda’s Autonomous Operations’s machine learning algorithm makes reliable predictions of issues that might come up in the future.
  • The ability to manage BigPanda’s Autonomous Operations platform and view both real-time and historical data from a single interface. BigPanda’s Autonomous Operations platform UI is a centralized location where all levels of your organization’s IT teams can view system data and manage situations that may arise. The data displayed on this interface is always up-to-date. IT teams have the latest relevant information available to them at all times without having to conduct a search.

Reviews from Real Users

BigPanda’s Autonomous Operations platform stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its centralized user interface and its ability to easily integrate with other security solutions. The centralized UI gives users the ability to clearly see all their alert data in a single location without having to search for it. Its easy integration allows administrators to augment their IT security capabilities when they find it necessary to do so.

PeerSpot user Larry C., the principal engineer in charge of site operations for a tech vendor, notes this benefit when he writes, "Alert aggregation was the primary requirement. BigPanda pulls all this together into a single UI for us, allowing us to see related alerts grouped together into an incident, and enables us to easily create a JIRA ticket and Slack channel to manage an issue."

Another PeerSpot user, who is an independent entrepreneur in the IT environment at a tech services company, notes the flexibility of this platform when they write “BigPanda integrates well with other solutions, such as WatchGuard.”

Download the IT Infrastructure Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

BigPanda Customers

Nagios, ServiceNow, ITSM, NOC, CMDB Evolved, RemedyIncident Management Process

BigPanda Video

BigPanda Pricing Advice

What users are saying about BigPanda pricing:
  • "They were great to work with on pricing/licensing. Given we are a high-growth company, we needed a flexible site license."
  • "We pay $200,000 USD per year."
  • BigPanda Reviews

Larry Cassidy - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Engineer, Site Operations at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Alert aggregation and the correlation platform are extremely useful, streamlining our incident management
    • "Alert aggregation was the primary requirement. BigPanda pulls all this together into a single UI for us, allowing us to see related alerts grouped together into an incident, and enables us to easily create a JIRA ticket and Slack channel to manage an issue."
    • "We have also made extensive use of the outbound integrations to ticketing systems (JIRA) and collaboration tools (Slack). The main driver for us has been getting all alerting into a single UI and enabling us to streamline our incident management process."
    • "Our infrastructure is quite large - tens of thousands of servers, often with 30-plus checks running on each host with one minute intervals. This generates a lot of data often in bursts (when we have a large scale failure). This has caused some delay in the ingestion pipeline."

What is our primary use case?

We use BigPanda to aggregate alerts from multiple sources (Nagios, Sensu, Wavefront, Splunk, etc.) and correlate related alerts into incidents.

How has it helped my organization?

Historically, much of our incident management process has been manual. NOC engineers would manually create a ticket, create a Slack channel, and escalate out to the necessary teams to troubleshoot an issue. BigPanda pulls all this together into a single UI for us, allowing us to see related alerts grouped together into an incident, and enables us to easily create a JIRA ticket and Slack channel to manage an issue. This has been a dramatic improvement.

What is most valuable?

Alert aggregation was the primary requirement. , although we are still implementing our correlation rules.

We have also made extensive use of the outbound integrations to ticketing systems (JIRA) and collaboration tools (Slack). The main driver for us has been getting all alerting into a single UI and enabling us to streamline our incident management process.

What needs improvement?

Our infrastructure is quite large - tens of thousands of servers, often with 30-plus checks running on each host with one minute intervals. This generates a lot of data often in bursts (when we have a large scale failure). This has caused some delay in the ingestion pipeline.

Generally, the product has been pretty stable.

At times of peak alert volume (during a significant incident) we have seen some delay in alert ingestion into the platform.

Their support organization has been great to work with. They are very responsive to issues we raise and are proactive in contacting us when they detect a problem with our instance. Additionally, they have been extremely flexible in working to meet our requirements - creating custom integrations where needed - to tie in all our monitoring and incident management tools.

Previously, we have used Nagios Check_Mk (aka Multisite) as well as Sensu Uchiwa dashboard to aggregate alerts. With Nagios, were were experiencing scaling issues with the core server platform, given the number of hosts we have in a typical datacenter. Sensu Server solved the scaling issue for us but the monitoring UI for Sensu (Uchiwa) was very difficult to use and had a lot of performance issues. We needed a tool to pull together multiple Sensu instances and provide a workable interface.

It was fairly straightforward. For Nagios, we used their standard, out-of-the-box agent. For Sensu, BigPanda worked with us to customize their standard integration to perform better with our high alert volume. They also worked with us on a custom integration to Wavefront, which we use to alert on time series data.

In addition to BigPanda, we looked at Moogsoft.

What other advice do I have?

I think BigPanda is a great company with a quality product. As with any largescale tooling change there will be challenges, but the team was very responsive in resolving issues.

Krishna Reddy - PeerSpot reviewer
    DevOps Engineer at ITOrizon
    Feature-rich, stable, and the interface is user-friendly
    • "The main thing that we like about BigPanda is the user interface."
    • "The cost of this product is too high compared to New Relic."

What is our primary use case?

We use BigPanda for monitoring and management. Our servers are all configured with New Relic, which sends the data to BigPanda.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the dashboard. The main thing that we like about BigPanda is the user interface.

What needs improvement?

The cost of this product is too high compared to New Relic.

It would be helpful if we could receive alerts through IP.

We have been using BigPanda for the past year.

My impression is that it's stable.

We have nearly 6,000 servers configured to use BigPanda.

We haven't had any problems so we haven't needed to contact technical support.

The initial setup is complex.

We pay $200,000 USD per year.

We are currently doing research on Moogsoft and are looking to move to it from BigPanda. The reason that we are switching is an issue of cost.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, it is very basic to use. I am satisfied with all of the features and our only complaint is about the high cost.

Hybrid Cloud
    IT Infrastructure Monitoring
    April 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about BigPanda, Moogsoft, Zabbix and others in IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Updated: April 2022.
    596,362 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Independent entrepreneur in the IT environment at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Simple installation, good technical support, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

BigPanda is an endpoint protection solution against ransomware.

What is most valuable?

BigPanda integrates well with other solutions, such as WatchGuard,

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having better integration.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

I have found BigPanda to be scalable.

We have approximately 100 users using this solution in my organization.

The technical support is very good.

The installation is very easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate BigPanda a nine out of ten.

Download our free IT Infrastructure Monitoring Report and find out what your peers are saying about BigPanda, Moogsoft, Zabbix, and more!
    Updated: April 2022