Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

BigID OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

BigID is #9 ranked solution in Data Governance tools. PeerSpot users give BigID an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. BigID is most commonly compared to Collibra Governance: BigID vs Collibra Governance. BigID is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Data Governance Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is BigID?

BigID aims to transform how enterprise protect and manage the privacy of personal data. Organizations are facing record breaches of personal information and proliferating global privacy regulations like the EU GDPR with fines reaching 4% of annual revenue. Today enterprises lack dedicated purpose built technology to help them track and govern their customer data at scale. By bringing data science to data privacy, BigID aims to give enterprises the software to safeguard and steward the most important asset organizations manage: their customer data.

BigID Customers
Home Depot, Grant Thornton LLP, Cimpress, Fidelity Investments
BigID Video

BigID Reviews

Data Governance Operations Consultant/Program Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
User friendly and feature rich solution
  • "The features that I have found most valuable are the user experience, the credentialing, and that BigID is user friendly. Additionally, you can deploy to several other Microsoft platforms and you can use it for other things, like a bigger element or a report."
  • "In terms of what could be improved, when you're looking in a BigID file, you cannot really get the whole file. You have to export it to download it to another platform that allows you to completely view it, or run a program. That was one of the things that was really a disappointing point for me. Not to be able to view everything. There's a lot more data, but you can't get it all at once."

What is our primary use case?

In terms of primary use cases for BigID, since I'm a data architect, I get the specific data that is necessary for the client use-case. Then I'll try and do a scan. I do a scan on them, and the scan has parameters. So I set up the scan with some assistance from the admin, and run the scan. When we get the result, it gets populated in the BigID tool. Then I'll go into the BigID tool where there are something like files, I forgot the specific name. I'll look through the files to understand them and try to bring some of them to do an analysis. I can do my analysis in Excel with the data. The way BigID is set up, it's not easy to get all the data straight. To be able to get all the data elements I have to download it somewhere since I'm not in front of the machine.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of how BigID has improved our organization, it gives a bird's-eye view of the total data. I like that. For me, that's what it does.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

They should improve on the viewing of the various files. If somebody wants to view a specific file, they should be able to view it all the way to the end and not just see maybe three quarters or so.

Data Governance
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about BigID, Varonis, Collibra and others in Data Governance. Updated: September 2022.
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I used BigID all of 2019.

I think BigID is stable. I like BigID, I think it's very reliable. Being that it is new, integrating it in a project requires a learning curve. So the stability is a bit shaky, but with time people will get to get used to it. It'll get more stable.

For what we're doing, it does not really require much maintenance. Because the data is not complicated, but it's sort of minute. It's a bunch of little data.

I think BigID is scalable, but the scalability is not feasible. As I explained to you, there's some work that has to be done, like running a program, to get it scalable.

In our case, the client is the federal government.

BigID is used very extensively. And I think the project, from what I've heard, is going to start all over again. It's getting very popular.

The technical support is very good. I mean, they're right there. They come by, maybe two or three days a week. They are always available. They are very supportive, very responsive.

The initial setup is straightforward, at least it was for me, because I've been doing IT for a long time. It could be complex for other people.

We all work in conjunction. For example, we work with the data scientists, the production guys, and the data governance folks. The data governance folks like me have to have good enterprise architecting knowledge. We all work together.

The deployment takes a long time because it's like a discovery stage on what's going on. The data has to be on top of data Lake. Then, with the use of Scala and SQL and with some API calls to produce some graphs, they create some reports that can be deployed to MongoDB. That takes some time.

Initially there wasn't any implementation strategy, but we had to come up with some onboarding deployment strategies. Like just trying to understand specifically the use-case and knowing who are the people in charge - the data owners, data stewards, and data custodians. Then also trying to know the C-suite executives involved. Just knowing everybody that is involved so the process can be faster. In the beginning the BigID folks came in from New York City - that helps if we have any issues.

I think the return on investment is great, because it is good compared to the earnings ratio. I think it's fine.

I do like Informatica and Collibra.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson I have learned about BigID is that it is reliable and it's readily available. When you do the scans, you can just see the data is there - it's nice. Even though you cannot see all you need, like I mentioned, you have to deploy somewhere or run a program, but it's there.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give BigID an eight.

Private Cloud
Download our free Data Governance Report and find out what your peers are saying about BigID, Varonis, Collibra, and more!
Updated: September 2022