Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Amazon Virtual Private Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Compute Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Amazon Virtual Private Cloud?

Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC) lets you provision a logically isolated section of the AWS Cloud where you can launch AWS resources in a virtual network that you define. You have complete control over your virtual networking environment, including selection of your own IP address range, creation of subnets, and configuration of route tables and network gateways. You can use both IPv4 and IPv6 in your VPC for secure and easy access to resources and applications.

Amazon Virtual Private Cloud was previously known as Amazon VPC.

Amazon Virtual Private Cloud Customers
Hess, Expedia, Kelloggs, Philips, HyperTrack
Amazon Virtual Private Cloud Video

Amazon Virtual Private Cloud Reviews

IT Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Virtual Network solution that facilitates a private and secure environment that can be isolated from on-premises services
  • "The best feature is that you can run your servers directly on Amazon's premises, and have access to the internet without Amazon utilizing your own internet connection in your office."
  • "This solution is not fully compatible with every vendor that we use regarding firewalls and networking equipment. They provide you with the option and details on how to configure this on your premises but it would be good to have an easier way to do this."

What is our primary use case?

Amazon VPC's provides a cloud environment that can be private for any company. This means you can have services and servers running in a private environment, isolated from any services on prem. This gives you the capabilities of interconnecting specific services and ports to your internal network.

You are able to keep data in a secure environment where no one can access it without being responsible for the power consumption, cooling of hosts or a disaster recovery scenario. You can avoid any destructive situations. We are using a hybrid infrastructure in our own server room, in combination with cloud instances that we replicate in our zone in a secure way. We use encrypted panels from our premises to Amazon, transferring data and storing it safely.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is that you can run your servers directly on Amazon's premises, and have access to the internet without Amazon utilizing your own internet connection in your office. You can filter all the traffic and select only the relevant services and network traffic capacitor.

What needs improvement?

This solution is not fully compatible with every vendor that we use regarding firewalls and networking equipment. They provide you with the option and details on how to configure this on your premises but it would be good to have an easier way to do this.

I have been using this solution for four years.

Compute Service
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, StackStorm, Oracle and others in Compute Service. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a very stable solution with very little down time.

This is a scalable solution.

Amazon is really hard to contact. Technically, I have not needed their support. On one occasion, we missed emails that referred to a failed payment due to a card cancellation. A couple of months later, our account was suspended and our servers were shut down as a result. It took us four to five hours to figure out how to fulfill the payment and proceed with the account enabling. The support at that time wasn't good. There wasn't a phone number that you could call directly and resolve the issue. We had to open a ticket and wait.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup can be complex depending on your needs but overall I would say that it is straightforward. From my experience, based on my needs, I can have a server running and VPN connected to our system in about an hour.

This solution is quite expensive.

At the time that we decided to use Amazon, the main competitor was Microsoft Azure. We decided to go with Amazon due to the lack of knowledge on how to do the same things using Azure.

What other advice do I have?

Minor issues that can have a major impact on a company's progress and work, can be prevented by using this solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free Compute Service Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, StackStorm, Oracle, and more!
Updated: September 2022