Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Zscaler SASE OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Zscaler SASE is #10 ranked solution in top Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) tools. PeerSpot users give Zscaler SASE an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Zscaler SASE is most commonly compared to Prisma Access by Palo Alto Networks: Zscaler SASE vs Prisma Access by Palo Alto Networks. Zscaler SASE is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Zscaler SASE?

For the last 30 years, networks have been connecting users to applications in the data center, which was surrounded by a secure perimeter to keep apps and data safe from the outside. But with applications moving to the cloud, IoT becoming more common, and users connecting from everywhere, network security is no longer able to solve the fundamental challenge of security and is instead adding significant complexity and cost.

Zscaler SASE Customers
Siemens, AutoNation, GE, NOV
Zscaler SASE Video

Zscaler SASE Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Zscaler SASE pricing:
  • "It has been relatively reasonable for what it does. Some of the additional license costs based on the advanced next-generation firewall functions are quite high, and they should have certain features ready and available as a baseline rather than having to purchase additional licenses for it. Overall, the cost seems reasonable."
  • "The pricing is expensive and on the higher end. Honestly, in my opinion, it is not worth the price."
  • Zscaler SASE Reviews

Alexander Arnold - PeerSpot reviewer
    Infrastructure and Network Engineer at Servomex Group Limited
    Easy to deploy, use, and manage, but needs more granularity and control over the interfaces and better licensing and support
    • "I like its ease of use. It has a single pane of glass for the ZIA and ZPA pieces. It is very manageable. It is also very easy to deploy for secure access, and it gives half-decent coverage for visibility in terms of what the users use and what data is being proxied through the access gateway."
    • "It has massive room for improvement. The Zscaler product itself is okay, but it doesn't give enough granularity for us as an organization to stipulate rules or processes, especially for data-driven services. For instance, we can stick on SSL inspection, but it's just a click box. It doesn't allow us to go any further into the detail of the SSL inspection. We also can't pull it out without having an additional logging server. It just doesn't give us enough granularity. They should give us more control over the interfaces because it is all backend. They weren't very open to discussing their backend architecture with us in terms of their own data centers. They can maybe a little bit more open about what components are there and how the backend infrastructure works alongside Zscaler. Its licensing can be better. Some of the additional licensing costs are quite high, and they should have certain features ready and available as a baseline rather than having to purchase additional licenses for it. Their support should also be improved. I initially had a consultant from Zscaler for its deployment, but the support that I had throughout the deployment of the project wasn't the best."

What is most valuable?

I like its ease of use. It has a single pane of glass for the ZIA and ZPA pieces. It is very manageable.

What needs improvement?

It has massive room for improvement. The Zscaler product itself is okay, but it doesn't give enough granularity for us as an organization to stipulate rules or processes, especially for data-driven services. For instance, we can stick on SSL inspection, but it's just a click box. It doesn't allow us to go any further into the detail of the SSL inspection. We also can't pull it out without having an additional logging server. It just doesn't give us enough granularity.

They should give us more control over the interfaces because it is all backend. They weren't very open to discussing their backend architecture with us in terms of their own data centers. They can maybe a little bit more open about what components are there and how the backend infrastructure works alongside Zscaler.

Its licensing can be better. Some of the additional licensing costs are quite high, and they should have certain features ready and available as a baseline rather than having to purchase additional licenses for it.

Their support should also be improved. I initially had a consultant from Zscaler for its deployment, but the support that I had throughout the deployment of the project wasn't the best.

We weren't using any other solution.

It is very easy. There were some constraints trying to deploy the access gateway and the endpoint client to some of our regions due to processes being blocked. They gave a list of processes that need to be allowed through ADM endpoints and our sort of antivirus products so that they're not scanned, and they're allowed through to function. However, I had some issues in following the guide and trying to get them initially deployed and allowed through. The firewall has to be off regardless of whether the port allocations were opened or not, but this could potentially be a regional issue. Other than that, the deployment was very easy.

Secure Access Service Edge (SASE)
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Zscaler, Palo Alto Networks, Cato Networks and others in Secure Access Service Edge (SASE). Updated: September 2022.
    635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I went through a subsidiary company of Zscaler. I initially had a consultant from Zscaler themselves, but the support that I had throughout the deployment of the project wasn't the best. They were very much technical sales as opposed to technical consultants. I myself had to work through and resolve a lot of issues that I faced during the deployment and setup.

It has been relatively reasonable for what it does. Some of the additional license costs based on the advanced next-generation firewall functions are quite high, and they should have certain features ready and available as a baseline rather than having to purchase additional licenses for it. Overall, the cost seems reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

What I would say is that try it, test it, and ensure that it sort of meets the company requirements. We were lucky enough to go through an extensive trial period. Zscaler, unfortunately, only allows a two-week trial regardless of where you are with the setup. They only give you coverage for a very basic setup. You have very limited time for trying anything further or trying the product as if it was in the production environment. Therefore, I would advise scoping out what you want and how you want to achieve it as quickly as possible. After that, you can really hammer home when you go through the initial deployment to ensure that it works and meets all the requirements.

We are now looking at Cisco Umbrella. We are a Cisco house predominantly, and Cisco Umbrella just interlinks with our VPN solution and our overall architecture. We're looking to migrate to a Meraki SD-WAN fabric because it allows us to just use that network overlay underneath the secure access edge and just incorporate it into what we already have.

I would rate Zscaler SASE a seven out of ten.

Omar Holmes - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Analyst II at a consumer goods company with 501-1,000 employees
    Great cloud based solution, one click deployment, with stable environment
    • "Yes, it is very stable. I have never seen it go down, not once."
    • "Conflicts arise if you do not have the same management teams on the product."

What is our primary use case?

We have found that Zscaler SASE is a good product and we use it as a proxy.

What is most valuable?

Zscaler SASE is probably the number one cloud-based proxy security solution. Just on name recognition alone, I would say that is the main value it is bringing right now.

What needs improvement?

The management of the product has to be clearly defined or they will conflict. Sometimes you have to add bypass rules allowing specific websites access for internal purposes or for it to completely bypass altogether.  Make sure that it is the same teams who are managing the firewalls and the product. They should all be on the same team. If you have two teams managing it separately, you are going to run into a lot of problems.

I have been using Zscaler SASE for the past three years.

It is very stable. I have never seen it go down, not once, but then again I do not manage that portion specifically.

Zscaler SASE looks to be scalable to me.  We have about seven hundred and fifty using it in the USA and two hundred in Europe.

We were using another product before switching over to Zscaler SASE because it is number one.

It is pretty straightforward and does not create any major challenges. You whitelist specific URLs to either be allowed or to be bypassed.

We do deployment in-house. It is just a click and that is it.

The pricing is expensive and on the higher end. Honestly, in my opinion, it is not worth the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Zscaler SASE an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
    Secure Access Service Edge (SASE)
    September 2022
    635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Security Solution Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Cloud security, built-in scalability, and professional technical support

What is our primary use case?

Our role is as consultant, architectural, and pre-sales.

Rather than purchasing new VPNs and other architecture, our clients use Zscaler SASE to allow their workers to work from home due to COVID.

How has it helped my organization?

It decreases the overhead that they are running when it comes to licenses for the VPNs and allows them to merge multiple technologies, such as the VPN capabilities, and the CASB solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the CASB solutions, which is protecting their Office 365.

What needs improvement?

The interface needs a bit of work. It could be a little more streamlined and more intuitive.

We have been selling this solution for two years.

Our clients are using the latest version.

Absolutely, this is a stable solution. It has been what we expected.

The scalability by definition is kind of intrinsically built-in. Everything that I have seen is easy to scale.

My experience with technical support is that they have always been professional, on point, and very knowledgeable.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Zscaler SASE a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
    Excellent proxy and content filtering

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use SASE for proxy and content filtering.

What is most valuable?

SASE's most valuable features are proxy and content filtering.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement would be the ease of configuration.

I've been using Zscaler SASE for two to three years.

SASE is stable.

SASE is scalable if users need to increase the network it supports - it's quite transparent from the end-user perspective.

Zscaler's technical support is quite good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is fairly straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those thinking of implementing SASE to ensure that their technical requirements are well-established and that the transition process is understood. I would give SASE a rating of nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
    Download our free Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Zscaler, Palo Alto Networks, Cato Networks, and more!
    Updated: September 2022