IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Zarafa OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Email Applications Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Zarafa?
Open-source email and collaboration software with calendaring, tasks and contacts management, mobile devices compatability.
Zarafa Customers
Tivoli, InterAkt Contour, Riagg Rijnmond, Lammerink, Revell, KMP, International School of the Hague
Zarafa Video

Archived Zarafa Reviews (more than two years old)

Senior Consultant IT Infrastructure at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Our customers are able to use this groupware solution to connect to Active Directory and OpenLDAP, although Postgres support would be an improvement.

What is most valuable?

Zarafa has several very valuable features, among them a very good Outlook-like web interface.

Furthermore, ZPush for talking between ActiveSync and mobile devices is a valuable asset.

In addition, one is able to connect via Outlook and the exchange protocol to Zarafa. This makes Zarafa a free, and working, alternative to Microsoft Exchange.

How has it helped my organization?

I mostly installed Zarafa for customers. They found it to be a lightwight groupware solution with many enterprise features, such as connecting to Active Directory or OpenLDAP.

What needs improvement?

As far as I know, only MySQL is supported. It would be great to also have Postgres support, but I am not sure if this is possible in a technical way because Zarafa has very specific requirements when it comes to storing MAPI objects in a database.

I was using it for more than two years.

Email Applications
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Zarafa, Zimbra, Open-Xchange and others in Email Applications. Updated: July 2022.
619,967 professionals have used our research since 2012.

You should be aware that Zarafa will create a lot of database entries, so you should tune MySQL (especially the InnoDB options).

Not really, although the Zarafa-index component was using a lot of memory and disk I/O bandwith.

I used Kolab, but connecting via Outlook was only possible with IMAP or a MAPI connector (and all of them were not working very well). Zarafa, instead, supports MAPI in a natural way.

Initial setup is very easy if you are an experienced Linux user/admin.

Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A great alternative for Exchange at a fraction of the costs
Pros ------- + Drop in replacement for exchange + Open-source runs on linux + Lower hardware requirements + Outlook support + A fraction of the license costs + blackberry and active sync support + exchange migration tools + Online documentation Cons ------- + webapp is replacing webaccess but is still missing some features. Experiences ----------------- As a zarafa partner we can count on great support from Zarafa. Depolyment is easy, dependencies are automatic taken care of and the online documentation is great Business Metrics ------------------------ Zarafa is a fraction of the cost what u would pay for exchange also hardware requirements are much lower. One of our clients is running quite easy 350 users on a single machine. Alternatives Vendors ----------------------------- Zimbra is the other alternative with commercial support. Reason we prefer Zarafa is that it wil not touch the postfix or other components so security wise a better choice.
it_user2652 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user2652Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
PopularVendor

Could you please provide me with the contact information for the sales team or give me an idea regarding licensing costs? Can we use Zimbra free of cost?

Download our free Email Applications Report and find out what your peers are saying about Zarafa, Zimbra, Open-Xchange, and more!
Updated: July 2022