WSO2 API Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

WSO2 API Manager is the #7 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give WSO2 API Manager an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. WSO2 API Manager is most commonly compared to Kong Enterprise: WSO2 API Manager vs Kong Enterprise. WSO2 API Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
WSO2 API Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the WSO2 API Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is WSO2 API Manager?

WSO2 API Manager is an open source approach that addresses full API lifecycle management, monetization, and policy enforcement. It allows extensibility and customization, and ensures freedom from lock-in.

WSO2 API Manager is a unique open approach to full lifecycle API development, integration and management. As part of the larger WSO2 Integration Agile Platform, it is a central component used to deploy and manage API-driven ecosystems. It’s hybrid integration capabilities further simplify projects that span traditional as well as microservice environments. And unlike other API and lifecycle management products, it is fully open-source allowing for extensibility and customization.

WSO2 API Manager Customers

StubHub, Dialog

WSO2 API Manager Video

Archived WSO2 API Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

Leonardo Ferreira - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Architecture Leader at Edenred
Great API management, but there are better solutions available
  • "The main feature — the publication of the API, the management section — is great in general."
  • "I think they could greatly improve the general UX with their solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We use it along with IdentityServer, as our main API management tool for API exposure to the internet. It's not for internal usage, it's for external use.

We have two main roles regarding WSO2 API Manager. There are the admins, who publish guides and user updates, etc — we employ around four people who perform this role. In terms of users, we have around five to six million users going through it on a monthly basis.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I think it would be very unfair for me to answer this question because we are running a very outdated system (they might have improved it a lot with their newer versions), but I'm going to try it anyway. I think they could greatly improve the general UX with their solutions because when you manage different components that are meant to work together, it's very difficult. You have to deal with two completely unrelated interfaces.

Perhaps they should include a tool to assist with migrating to Azure.

I have been using WSO2 API Manager for the past four to five years.

WSO2 API Manager
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about WSO2 API Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Stability-wise, it's actually pretty nice — it's good. I wouldn't say it's very good or excellent, but it's good. It fits the bill.

Scalability-wise, I'd give it a three-star rating out of five — good, but not very good or perfect.

The provisioning has to be done manually. In terms of system-wise configurations, these settings involve a lot of big Java components, so it's not natural. It's not very easy to handle. Again, this is an older version. Perhaps they have already worked on this.

We don't have a contract for dedicated support. We have to deal with internet forums, etc. Officially speaking, there's no support outside of community forums.

The documentation and community support are pretty helpful. There are a lot of questions answered about WSO2 on several forums and message boards, etc. Although it's not dedicated, it's quite relevant.

We're actually in the process of switching to Microsoft Azure API management.

For us, the main benefit of Azure is that it's a managed solution. We have a very restricted theme and not having to deal with the actual configuration of the platform or the underlying operating system and other intrinsic administration tasks is a big win for us. The feature that we use the most and that is most licensed is perhaps the online portal. The certified online portal is the biggest win for us because we can deal with the associated integrations within this new portal, which we can't in the current stack, the on-premises stack.

I wasn't a part of the original project, but I know that the initial setup wasn't easy.

We use the open-source version — the free version.

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't actually recommend this to anyone. I think that there are paid solutions, such as Azure API Management, which will relieve you from the administrative burden. Personally, I wouldn't recommend this solution at all.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give WSO2 a rating of seven. It's a good tool, but dealing with the on-premises infrastructure is a big headache.

Integration Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A simple solution with good API management lifecycle, but needs better support and the ability to write orchestrations
  • "API management lifecycle is the most valuable."
  • "I would like it to be a more convenient development platform with the ability to write orchestrations and so on. Our problem with this product is that in my country, we are the only enterprise that has been using this product. We're missing a lot of knowledge from colleagues to consult with, and we also aren't able to recruit people with relevant skills. It is a big problem. The small team that is maintaining this product is the only team that can actually relate to any technical issue. The support that we're getting from the company is not great. There is also a cultural gap there because they're from Sri Lanka, and it is not easy. They're putting in a lot of effort, but they are not meeting our expectations."

What is our primary use case?

It is basically used for the integration of applications inside the organization and also for business partners outside the organization.

What is most valuable?

API management lifecycle is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to be a more convenient development platform with the ability to write orchestrations and so on.

Our problem with this product is that in my country, we are the only enterprise that has been using this product. We're missing a lot of knowledge from colleagues to consult with, and we also aren't able to recruit people with relevant skills. It is a big problem. The small team that is maintaining this product is the only team that can actually relate to any technical issue. The support that we're getting from the company is not great. There is also a cultural gap there because they're from Sri Lanka, and it is not easy. They're putting in a lot of effort, but they are not meeting our expectations.

I have been using this solution for three years. I have used it in production for two years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We have a few dozen users.

The support that we're getting from the company is not great.

It was pretty straightforward. The deployment took a couple of weeks.

We had a reseller who is not an integrator. So, we basically did everything in-house.

We only did it in a very superficial way. We didn't really evaluate.

What other advice do I have?

I would say if you're looking for a simple and straightforward solution, it is probably a good idea, but if you're looking for a more advanced option, then you should go for some other solution.

I would rate WSO2 API Manager a seven out of ten.

WSO2 API Manager
November 2022
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Business&Integration Arch Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Open-source solution that's fully containerized and easy to scale
  • "The solution is open-source."
  • "The stability is pretty good, but it could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

One of the main use cases for our organization is that we can use it as a digital integration hub. You can also use it as a base for a marketplace or open banking.

We are using it for the enablement of a digital service or digital integration hub. We are helping small customers to digitalize their services. We select the best of these services and solutions and trying to deploy them in our platform and expose them to several different clients.

What is most valuable?

The solution is open-source.

The main feature that I like the most is that it is a containerized solution. The API solution is fully containerized. It also has a micro-gateway.

You can scale the solution up and down easily. It's not a monolith. It's a containerized solution. It's an important and strong feature. It's fully flexible.

The solution has a stack and different products that fit well to my requirements, such as a micro-integrator, analytics, streaming integration, and identity access management.

What needs improvement?

I'm using the open-source version, therefore my comments are basically related to just the open-source version. I specify this, due to the fact that, if you have a subscription, you can have access to enterprise support. I need to work within the open-source community to get answers. When I deal with the stack overflow, it's a complex item that could easily be addressed by technical support, and yet, I don't have access to them on my current system. It would be helpful if the solution offered more communication about their technology and services. It would be useful for those of us on the open-source option.

Since the product is updated periodically there are lots of provisions. The documentation could be stronger and maybe the community support could be stronger. I don't have the luxury of turning to their in-house technical support to help me troubleshoot. I'm reliant on documentation and the community.

The stability is pretty good, but it could be improved.

It would be ideal, for our purposes, if the solution offered GraphQL support for the micro-gateway.

I haven't been using the solution for too long. It may be about six months at this point.

The stability is pretty good. I'd rate it at four out of five. We didn't encounter intermittent issues and as long as you tailer your architecture or deployment pattern according to your project requirements you will not have lots of issues.

The solution scales really well as it is containerized. You can easily add more containers and built it out as much as you need to, or take them away and scale down. It's very easy to accomplish.

We have about 20 people using the solution currently.

We don't have access to technical support as we are using the open-source version. We need to rely on documentation and the community to help us troubleshoot.

Before using this solution I used Apigee. I chose this product over Apigee due to the fact that I could start with an open-source version. It was an advantage. My preference was choosing open-source.

I know that Apigee has stronger capabilities, however, I want everything going to open-source solutions. Also, this solution has other components such as the micro integrator, access management, and other capabilities that were appealing. You can easily integrate with the API manager as well. There were just a lot of up-sides to making the switch.

The solution is not complex to implement. It's straight forward. You have access to charts and you have templates for different deployment patterns that you can follw. It's very easy to deploy.

You can really tailor your installation, depending on your own requirements. The complexity comes from the project being deployed and not the product itself. In our case, we don't have any complexity, and therefore it was easy to install and deploy.

If you are just using a template, you can deploy the solution in less than one hour. After that, you need customization and configuration to happen. That will take some time. The running version of this software was almost one week for our scenario. Then for the API manager to do their work, I can say it will take less than one week.

You only need about three senior developers for maintenance purposes. Currently, we are working with one architect and two engineers for maintenance activities.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't need the assistance of a consultant or integrator.

If you are using open-source, it's not expensive. If you choose to upgrade to get enterprise support, then you need a subscription and it has a cost. I am not using the enterprise support and I don't have a subscription. Therefore, I'm not technically paying for the product at all.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I'm currently using the open-source version of the solution. We're evaluating 3.2.0.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at an eight. If it offered better stability and more documentation, I'd rate it a bit higher.

Private Cloud
Lead Business Analyst at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to set up and it offers a good user experience

What is most valuable?

The user experience is what is most valuable to me.

It's very scalable, which is one of the best features.

What needs improvement?

Integration is an area that needs to be improved.

In the next release, I would like to see a suite of applications, from other providers. They have many features that should be integrated to be a part of the WSO2 API Manager.

I have been working with this solution for one year.

This is a stable solution.

This is a very scalable application.

We have approximately 100 users in the organization.

I am satisfied with technical support.

Previously we were using in-house products.

The initial setup is straightforward, it's easy.

Deployment is complete within hours.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it.

Xinxiao Li - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Specialist at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Unifies our microservice and then publishes the service outside
  • "The most interesting feature is its Mac-based function."
  • "API Manager is not easy to scale because some of its components lack scalability. It's a difficult point. Especially because companies are so cloud-based these days, microservice scalability is a major thing."

What is our primary use case?

We use API Manager to publish our microservice for the public. We also use it because of its integrated functionality. We are researching many kinds of functions with WSO2, not only WSO2 management.

What is most valuable?

The most interesting feature is its Mac-based function. We want to use the API Manager to unify our microservice and then publish the service outside. In the future we want to combine it with our service. But we haven't implemented it for other Mac-based work, yet. This is an interesting element.

What needs improvement?

WSO2 API Manager is a little complex to use. I think the user interface could be improved.

Additionally, the installation setup is a little complex. I think in future versions I would like to see some improvements in the system's installation.

I have been using WSO2 API Manager for about half a year.

We deployed directly to the API Manager, and when we tested the performance we got a memory error. I don't know where or how to solve it. Maybe the memory size, or other setup parameters can solve this problem. I'm not sure whether it's an issue of stability, but it's an issue. We think this problem can be solved by many methods. Fundamentally, the problem is a general memory problem, not necessarily a WSO2 API Manager problem.

We are discussing use keys in our organization. Maybe some end user will come for testing and we can fully deploy the API Manager to be used every day.

API Manager is not easy to scale because some of its components lack scalability. It's a difficult point. Especially because companies are so cloud-based these days, microservice scalability is a major thing.

We have only contacted support two times.

We did discuss several different options but we liked WSO2 API Manager because it is an open source system. So we think it's better for our current needs.

The initial setup is not easy. There are many different components which need to be coordinated. The way that you receive the public's message interface is very complex.

Initial setup took two or three weeks the first time. It's not a perfect system or setup.

We had two people working on the installation but not full time.

We installed the system by ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product. I think WSO2 API Manager is good. I'd like to recommend the system to others.

On a scale of one to ten I would rate WSO2 API Manager an eight.

Modupe Aladeojebi - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Technology Officer at Swifta Systems and Services
Good integrations abilities with well-detailed logs
  • "This is a flexible and versatile API management solution that has the power to integrate with more than just API."
  • "The interface needs to be modernized and made more user friendly so the product continues to have a growing community of users."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is to manage API, which is important to our business model and design of what we do as consultants. I found WSO2 (Web Services Oxygen Tank) was a platform that I could easily work on. All the building practices have to do with API, so when I needed a platform that could manage our API with flexibility, this was our best opportunity. It also leaves room for growth as a solution.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has improved our organization by simply allowing us to do things now in ways we could not do before we started using it. In the future, it will also allow us to offer expanded options to our clients.

What is most valuable?

I don't know that there is one single valuable feature. We chose the solution because it could integrate and solve multiple issues. Building blocks and all the products we need to integrate can be attached. That capability in the architecture makes it very flexible. Control is possible over even little things like that fact that I can enable and disable the logs.

The logs are well detailed and if I'm troubleshooting, it makes troubleshooting quite easier. I can test the loads and see every detail, their inquires, and their response. I think the recent changes in the WSO2 also make orchestration better. That is designing and orchestrating components is quite easy. For me, the fact that it's built upon TomCat makes everything easier for me. These are all very valuable features.

What needs improvement?

It is a very good product, but still, there are some things I think can be improved. I think the interface is the one that comes to mind first. The interface should be much more user-friendly and modern.

If you look at other products and their modern user interfaces, you could see what the other companies are doing and what you could be doing. A nice look and feel is something that can impress a user, and it can be trendy and inviting. I think the user interface for now for the WSO2 is not really there yet. The one complaint I get from our business team is the same: they find it not that user-friendly and this makes it more difficult for them to use. It takes some experience to get around.

Another feature which I love but can also be improved is usability in terms of switching across the different components of the product. You could have just the user management console and some adjustment in design would make us have less trouble navigating. But the components are all separate. You have to access the publisher console, and then they have a flash publisher. Then you have the store, and more. It is just many things you have to know.

So there are different interfaces. I would love a situation where you should be able to just have a single interface where you're executing your role per security. Depending on the role you have, will determine what you can do. I don't have to switch across different interfaces before I could access the publisher using the same roles if I am assigned the privilege.

Lastly, another feature I think is needed is in the area of customization. Before you can make any custom changes, you have to be very technical. But it's a bit difficult to make changes depending on what you need to accomplish. The documentation is also not that straight forward and could use work.

You have to make a whole lot of changes to the framework. It's a framework, which I think is something that can be more efficient. It's not the common framework that you see in today's development as we have in other products. It is a custom framework that we use for the product.

I think for now that really all of the problems are summarized by the interface. They need to invest more on the front end. I know sometimes people will want to work as a back-end guy and that should remain. I think they should invest more on the user interface, user experience to make it better for less technical people.

We have been using the solution for about five years.

I would rate the stability good because the building block that we used was TomCat and I know TomCat. For me, it is very simple work with and very stable.

As far as scalability, we always use the products on a high demand development because I know the initial communications that I've experienced for myself with TomCat. Because I worked with TomCat for a number of years and I know that TomCat has a maximum capacity. But I didn't know how WS02 manages and used the ability of all its feature pool, so I won't be able to give a comment on that. But this is something we will explore more in our next development project. There is one new project that we have that is going to require a very high demand environment.

We design applications to appease the capabilities of the environment and the client. We pick up on stability by evaluating data transactions per second. So if I get to use the API in more of the client environments and with different configurations then I would know more. But I don't think we have even yet pushed it to its potential.

I have not had to contact technical support as essentially I am technical support. So far, everything is good and I haven't had any reason to contact them.

The initial setup for a technical person like myself is not difficult. Once you download the installation, all you do is start from the dependencies, which is from the JAVA and the database. I think for me, the setup is pretty straightforward and will be for other technical people.

We do all of our own installations and installations for our clients as well.

WS02 is really the first API manager I have used, or I have used API management but not with this kind of flexibility. In terms of know-how and getting to know about the API Manager, we currently only use it only internally. We do some consulting, and so we tried other solutions to solve other problems for them and ourselves. We tried some telecommunications products, but they did not have an application that manages the API. We tried Apache Camel. Out of several different products, I was excited to see a similar application that would manage API as well. Several of the other products I found pretty easy to use, but that is not the main criteria. Maybe those products would be useful for consulting and what we offer clients. But this is the product that was best for the integrated solutions we needed.

What other advice do I have?

Right now we are using only the main part of the product. It is an internal application only for deployment at our company at the moment. We haven't deployed the product across to clients for now because they will have to be very technical, and it is almost the nature of clients who use consultants that they may not always be the most technical or want to use difficult products.

The experience we are building internally is something we do look forward to sharing. We do have one client who is considering the product. They want to use it similar to how we do as a local API, and we intend to expose it as a possible solution in our business plan for them. We are open to having new clients use it in the near future.

The advice I have for any of the organizations or companies looking for an API manager is that they, first of all, verify the building block before selecting a product. For me it is Apache, and I know the amount of work that goes towards Apache, how much has to go into TomCat. If we take on clients with a similar need it would make support rather easy for us to provide for them and we can be very efficient.

Secondly, the product is an open-source community build-up. The WS02 organization is its own company providing support. I grew with the product from the time I started to develop with it until now. I've been able to see the changes and how it has evolved. I know in WS02 ESB, now its called Enterprise Integrations. It shows its a growing community, it shows that it has the potential to be a great community. We can work with it for a long time as well as incorporate solutions in the technology that is out there today.

The longevity and growth of the product can help people to trust and use the product.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate it an eight. It is an eight and not a ten because of the interface. But it is an eight, which is a good rating because I haven't seen any other vendor that provides a similar platform. You can use the platform directly or you can operate on the platform using the exposed API. I think that makes an exciting API that you can make use of in many different ways. There is no competitor that has more connections or offers such a platform.

Head of Product Development at MTS Group
API compositions has been a valuable feature

What is our primary use case?

Security and management API.

How has it helped my organization?

Nothing, we only create pilot projects.

What is most valuable?

API compositions.

What needs improvement?

Support GPRS protocol.

Download our free WSO2 API Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022