IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

WALLIX Bastion OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

WALLIX Bastion is #6 ranked solution in top Privileged Access Management (PAM) tools. PeerSpot users give WALLIX Bastion an average rating of 8 out of 10. WALLIX Bastion is most commonly compared to CyberArk Privileged Access Manager: WALLIX Bastion vs CyberArk Privileged Access Manager. WALLIX Bastion is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the Privileged Access Management (PAM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is WALLIX Bastion?

WALLIX offers cybersecurity and privileged access management solutions that secure and protect your most critical IT assets.

WALLIX Bastion was previously known as Bastion.

WALLIX Bastion Customers

RTBF, Pharmagest, Michelin Group, Niort Hospital

WALLIX Bastion Video

WALLIX Bastion Reviews

IT engineer at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
A stable privileged access managed service with an useful secure and seamless access management feature
  • "I like that it's Linux-based, and you don't need to have separate implementations, extra database licenses, or enterprise licenses. I think because it's Linux-based, it's more seamless than Windows. I also like the access manager, which I think is a super tool. Everything is browser-based, and you don't need a VPN. So, that's a great thing."
  • "It would be better if I could manage multiple accounts in one place, like CyberArk. With WALLIX, you can only manage one account, and you are given a separate category. You have to click on each connection to do anything. For example, CyberArk might give three options for one connection if you want to have an interactive user-level experience. But with WALLIX, you have to click three times to get that access. Also, the biggest disadvantage of WALLIX is the reporting. I feel like it's very weak in reporting when compared to the other solutions. As a solution, they're good and stable. But they need to make their reports neater and better. Right now, we're going to the console and then pressing buttons every single time."

What is our primary use case?

Managing external vendors or zerotrust users with secure remote connections and audit the critical targets usage with zero management of the organization privileged accounts by these external vendors or providers themselves. Role and time-based access to be more protected and controlled. With solution hardened at top notch to defend all cyber attacks

How has it helped my organization?

Track all activities of external vendor or zerotrust user even with crystal clear video recording and meta data. Restrictions on the user roles, non passwords mishandle by vendors or zero trust IT employees to critical targets

What is most valuable?

I like the access methods even though browser, console, are normal access.We can use  native tool like direct rdp and ssh or third party remote tool which is controlled, audited and  Single signon to devices with privileged account thats management in the solution.No limitations in access and convenience to use No agents,  activeX or Java to communicate the critical targets from wallix pam solution Video Recording on top level. Meta data and ocr facilities   you don't need to have separate implementations, extra database licenses, or enterprise licenses. Total one complete solution package. I think because it's Linux-based solution, it's more lightweight seamless and secure than Windows.  I also like the access manager, which I think is a super tool. Everything is browser-based, and you don't need a VPN,  need to dmz the accessmanager. No ports are public. So, that's a great thing. wallix gives what you exactly want. Everything you need is compliant to this product

What needs improvement?

It would be better enhanced features like if an example I could manage multiple accounts in one place, like other leading PAM solution. With WALLIX, you can only manage one account, and you are given a separate connection which will add as an extra device. You have to create and click on each connection for any variation if any on nthe single connection. For example, other leading PAM solution might give three options for one connection if you want to have an interactive user-level experience. But with WALLIX, you have to click three times with different connections created to get that access where u can have one connection more enhanced features  Also, the biggest disadvantage of WALLIX is the reporting or behavioral analysis limited. I feel like it's very weak in reporting when compared to the other solutions. As a solution, they're good and stable. But they need to make their reports neater and better. Right now, we're going to the console and then pressing buttons every single time for each every session  im sure its there in the road map and development soon... its not a drawback...its more of a suggestion..after using wallix...you will realise rest requirements is minor
Privileged Access Management (PAM)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about WALLIX, CyberArk, One Identity and others in Privileged Access Management (PAM). Updated: June 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using WALLIX Bastion for almost three years.

WALLIX Bastion is a stable solution. Little less features compare to other leading PAM solution but robust architecture, effortless and seamless usage

From an one place, it manages to all your critical assets whether how big or complex environment is. No need client tool or agent to manage each and every assets..browser based...or native tool access

Technical support is fine. They're more into a French speaking people, but they're fine and knowledgable . Nothing much to complain about. mechsoft -wallix implementation partner was knowledgeable..they sort most of it 1st level support

No...wallix is my first and last at the moment. Easy configure and integrated. Usage effortlessly with stable solution. Then why to change  there are some products who hide their drawbacks and push saying they are the best.

It's simple, seamless, and easy to integrate. More than days never required.... its more of hours only needed for setup

Mechsoft Technologies - wallix implementation partner...they were professional,  dedicated and quick support what gave me confidence. Explains well about product

Low TCO, straight forward and time saver setup. Manages usage of privileged accounts roles

Setup...its matter of hours than days to implement. Nothing complex...nearly zero dependency  cost and licensing adapts to our requirements

I feel like the other leading PAM solution are quite heavy at the backend. I feel WALLIX is better because it's simple, seamless, and easy to integrate. Also, in situations like disaster and recovery or high availability, WALLIX is easier compared to the others.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution.  On a scale from one to ten, I would  WALLIX Bastion an nine.

Microsoft Azure
Christian Katengwa - PeerSpot reviewer
RSSI at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Great video recording capabilities, but some performance issues need to be addressed
  • "Its video recording capabilities have definitely been key for us."
  • "For me, the main issue has to do with the system performance itself."

What is our primary use case?

Within our company, there are roughly 200 employees that use this solution, including partners and outsourced employees.

There are two of us that handle all maintenance-related issues.

How has it helped my organization?

We have seen a lot of improvement, especially in regard to our forensic investigations. We have better data — not just faster, but better data.

What is most valuable?

The security, its video recording capabilities have definitely been key for us. The reason why we deployed this solution in the first place was for the video recording features.

I have been using WALLIX Bastion for five years.

This solution is both very stable and scalable.

Their support is fine both locally and remotely; though we work with them much more remotely. I would say they're doing a good job.

The initial setup is pretty easy. It didn't take us that long time; I think it took one week in total. The integration and the performance of the system took some time to stabilize because, in the beginning, we had to do some complicated configurations.

We are currently considering installing another solution (CyberArk) because we want to separate our external access and internet access. We want to keep our internal access on WALLIX, and our external access on CyberArk.

For the purpose that it was built, WALLIX was the recommended tool. However, now that we are growing, we need some more flexibility. We can't put all of our eggs in the same basket. So, we decided to find an alternative to WALLIX, just to make sure that if we have some security issues on one side, we are not fully exposed — we have a backup plan.

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't advise others to start with a huge license. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven.

There are some features we have not tested yet like two-factor authentication. If I had, maybe I could give it a higher rating. For me, the main issue has to do with the system performance itself. If you don't size it properly, it will be very difficult to handle. We bought our licenses based on the number of devices that we can manage, but it seems like we have a limitation on the number of people that can gain access, which has been pretty difficult to handle.

Download our free Privileged Access Management (PAM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about WALLIX, CyberArk, One Identity, and more!
Updated: June 2022