VMware Workspace ONE OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Workspace ONE is the #2 ranked solution in top UEM (Unified Endpoint Management) tools and #3 ranked solution in top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. PeerSpot users give VMware Workspace ONE an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. VMware Workspace ONE is most commonly compared to Microsoft Intune: VMware Workspace ONE vs Microsoft Intune. VMware Workspace ONE is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 17% of all views.
VMware Workspace ONE Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware Workspace ONE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2023

What is VMware Workspace ONE?

VMware Workspace ONE is an intelligence-driven digital workspace platform that delivers any app on any device. It integrates access control, multi-platform endpoint management, and application management. With the VMware Workspace ONE platform, IT teams can deliver a digital workspace that includes the devices and apps of the company’s choice, but with security and control.

VMware Workspace ONE is available:

• As a cloud service
  • On-premises
  • Hybrid

VMware Workspace ONE Key Features

• Simple app authentication: VMware Workspace ONE allows end-users to have password-less single sign-on, giving them access to virtually any app (mobile apps, web apps, cloud apps, and Windows apps).

• Unified Endpoint Management options: VMware Workspace ONE aims to support all devices, offering convenience, access, security, and management that will work for any business.

• Conditional access: VMware Workspace ONE provides a powerful policy engine to help you make dynamic decisions regarding end-user access rights and to protect sensitive information.

• Automated app management: With VMware Workspace ONE the application delivery process can be automated, which improves security and compliance. Software packages can be automatically installed, updated, and removed, and automated workflows can also be created.

VMware Workspace ONE Benefits

Some of the benefits of using VMware Workspace ONE include:

• Less IT intervention necessary: Because VMware Workspace ONE has simple app authentication, end-users can help themselves by selecting the applications they need rather than having IT intervene.

• Smoother employee onboarding: Transform employee onboarding by enabling self-service access to the apps your end-users need to complete their job duties.

• Compliance: VMware Workspace ONE helps end-users reach compliance by using advanced device restrictions.

• Real-time visibility: You can have real-time visibility with application, device, and console events that provide detailed information for system monitoring. You can also view logs in the console or export pre-defined reports.

Workspace ONE Components

• Workspace ONE Access
  • Workspace ONE UEM
  • VMware Workspace ONE® Intelligence
  • VMware Unified Access Gateway
  • Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub

Reviews from Real Users

Below is some feedback from our PeerSpot users who are currently using the solution:

PeerSpot user Patrick B., Cybersecurity Architect at a tech services company, says, "Its UI is extremely easy to use whether you're an advanced user or a novice user. When I first opened it up and had to learn the product, I was easily a novice. By the end of the third month, I was digging into the backend of the system and using it as a highly advanced user to accomplish what I needed to accomplish, and I was able to do it through the UI mostly."

Roshan T., Partner Manager North America at a tech company, mentions how satisfied he is with the product, saying, "You can put all your applications on a mobile device, be it a phone or tablet. It is secure and easy to use. Because it is centrally managed, you don't have to do any configuration on the phone. I just got the phone and connected to the central applications. I just downloaded one thing and everything got rolled out. Email, calendar, and other things were deployed centrally. If you don't have AirWatch, you have to configure your phone manually. For example, you need to deploy and configure your email manually and then synchronize everything. It is much simpler when a mobile device is centrally managed."

VMware Workspace ONE was previously known as VMware AirWatch.

VMware Workspace ONE Customers

Australian Sports Commission, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust, Lomond School, Merck, United Bank, Medical College of Wisconsin, Latymer Upper School, 2gether NHS Foundation Trust, Dowling Aaron Inc., Trillium Lakelands District School Board, Harrogate Grammar School, Duke University Football, Delta Air Lines, Adventist Health System, Giochi Preziosi, Cramlington Learning Village, Intermountain Healthcare, Safexpress, TAG Aviation

VMware Workspace ONE Video

Archived VMware Workspace ONE Reviews (more than two years old)

Partner Manager North America at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Secure, easy to use, centrally managed, and works well
  • "You can put all your applications on a mobile device, be it a phone or tablet. It is secure and easy to use. Because it is centrally managed, you don't have to do any configuration on the phone. I just got the phone and connected to the central applications. I just downloaded one thing and everything got rolled out. Email, calendar, and other things were deployed centrally. If you don't have AirWatch, you have to configure your phone manually. For example, you need to deploy and configure your email manually and then synchronize everything. It is much simpler when a mobile device is centrally managed."
  • "Its performance is quite good on Apple phones or even mid-range phones. If you install an AirWatch on a phone that is not too powerful, you will have performance issues. That's only because the phone is not too powerful, and there is not enough memory, etc. They could do a lighter version for a less powerful phone. It would also be useful for very small companies that don't want to spend money on expensive phones. Having said that, I don't think that is their target market. If their target market is enterprise, all enterprises perhaps have an agreement with Google or Apple, and they would get a phone that has already been tested, and they know that AirWatch will work on that phone."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy AirWatch on the mobile devices of our employees.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way our organization functions. It provides security. If you're giving phones to your employees, you want the platform to be secure. If an employee loses his or her phone or someone steals it, the data on the phone itself is secured because you can just centrally disable everything. So, you only lose the device but not the data. If you lose your phone and there is no AirWatch in it, you need to find other creative ways to disable or get your phone back.

It allows companies to apply rules related to company policy. You can use your phone like a normal device with the exception that it is being monitored by the company, which I don't mind because I use the phone exclusively for work.

What is most valuable?

You can put all your applications on a mobile device, be it a phone or tablet. It is secure and easy to use. Because it is centrally managed, you don't have to do any configuration on the phone. I just got the phone and connected to the central applications. I just downloaded one thing and everything got rolled out. Email, calendar, and other things were deployed centrally. If you don't have AirWatch, you have to configure your phone manually. For example, you need to deploy and configure your email manually and then synchronize everything. It is much simpler when a mobile device is centrally managed.

What needs improvement?

Its performance is quite good on Apple phones or even mid-range phones. If you install an AirWatch on a phone that is not too powerful, you will have performance issues. That's because the phone is not too powerful, and there is not enough memory, etc. They could do a lighter version for a less powerful phone. It would also be useful for very small companies that don't want to spend money on expensive phones. Having said that, I don't think that is their target market. If their target market is enterprise, all enterprises perhaps have an agreement with Google or Apple, and they would get a phone that has already been tested, and they know that AirWatch will work on that phone.

VMware Workspace ONE
May 2023
Learn what your peers think about VMware Workspace ONE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2023.
706,951 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for three months.

It is stable. There are no issues or bugs at this moment. In the earlier versions, there were some bugs, but they have fixed those. My experience is only with iOS, and it seems stable. I have got an Apple device. iOS is a quite stable platform, and they have tuned it to work really well with iOS and even Android.

My company is quite big, and it seems good for big companies. It is for the enterprise environment. You won't use AirWatch for one or two individuals. You use it when you have a quite sizable mass of employees. In our company, it is being used by sales professionals, VPs, and C-levels.

I have not used their technical support. After you do the installation, usually you shouldn't have any problem unless there is a hardware issue with the phone itself. If there is any problem with AirWatch, they should be able to fix it from there because everything is centrally managed.

When I joined the company, they gave me the phone and asked me to install AirWatch, so that was it.

It is quite straightforward for technical and non-technical people. You just press next and read what you're doing, and that's it. It is nothing too complex.

It is quite expensive, but I think large companies have agreements with these organizations that provide remote monitoring for phones, and they get massive discounts. The public price does not reflect what they pay. You won't get the same pricing if you're buying for 10 employees versus 1,000 employees. On the public price, you get perhaps a 10% discount, but if you're buying 1,000, the discount could be really massive, especially if you signed a contract for a number of years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate AirWatch a nine out of ten. It is quite good, and I have a good experience with it. The phone has never failed, so it is working well.

Private Cloud

Other
IT Systems & Network Administrator at a transportation company with 201-500 employees
Quick to deploy, easy to set up, and offers good remote device management
  • "The initial setup is easy and the deployment doesn't take too long."
  • "The pricing could always be better."

What is our primary use case?

The product is a DM solution - a device management solution. It's for our users, for moving devices and laptops.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been manually provisioning everything for end-users, however, with this tool, now we have more control over the items on the end-user side and we can regularly update them from one place. It makes everything much easier.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the ability to remotely manage the devices. That's what it is meant to do. We can push applications to mobile devices from the portal.

Overall, we've been very happy with VMware.

The initial setup is easy and the deployment doesn't take too long.

What needs improvement?

I don't see any such areas where we are lacking. I was just doing the evaluation of other products to see if they have something else. However, this isn't missing anything, even when you look at the competition.

The pricing could always be better. It would be nicer if they were cheaper and more competitive.

We've been using the solution over the last 12 months at least. I've been using the solution for the last three years.

The stability of the solution has always been very good. there are no bugs or glitches It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution scales quite well. That's not a problem at all. If a company would like to scale the solution it can do so.

Currently, we have about 250 users on the solution.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the initial setup process.

The deployment took a few days to roll out. We did the implementation about two years ago now, and therefore it's hard to recall exactly what our deployment strategy was at that time.

We had a systems integrator assist us with the initial deployment. We did not completely handle everything in-house by ourselves.

The experience was good. They were able to understand what we need and they deployed it very smoothly.

We have a multi-year contract, however, we'd like the costs to be lowered if possible. Next year we plan to revisit everything and do a price evaluation.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and end-users. We've worked with resellers in the past.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a nine. Its capabilities are good and we've been quite happy with it overall.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
VMware Workspace ONE
May 2023
706,951 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
A straightforward setup with a good set of features and very good documentation
  • "The solution has very good documentation."
  • "I'd like to see expanded device support, particularly for IoT things like SCADA devices."

What is our primary use case?

We've had a full range of use cases. It's great for community colleges or remote workers. Onsite it can be on desktops or mobile. It has the ability to wipe mobile devices. You can lock them down or control them.

Obviously, with COVID, the remote workforce has been a huge driver.

I had one client that had a bunch of gyms where you got to work out and they deployed Workspace One across all of them and used that just to serve all the desktops. That way everything was uniform, and everything was the same patching level. It just simplified management. That's one example of a specific use-case.

How has it helped my organization?

You can always do more to gain network efficiency for delivery. At the end of the day, you're sending mouse clicks, keyboards, and screens out, and just improving delivery mechanisms. If you've got a full spectrum of consumers out there, they are there on everything. You've got everything from cellular service to multi-gigabit in homes these days. Just optimizing the network, that is a thing companies are going to chase - and that will be the case across all solutions.

What is most valuable?

The customer needed to cut their budget. They already owned Workspace One which was an additional cost. VMware just released an MDM-only version of Workspace One, which was much less and that met their budget needs. They were able to stay on the same platform and cut their budget as they needed.

All of the features have been quite helpful. They are all equally powerful and equally valuable for businesses - however, for different reasons. It just depends on the business which features end up being the most valuable to them.

Mainly, the solution offers a simplified administration, which is likely the biggest value for a business. The solution makes it possible for businesses to free their people up to think about the next steps for the business.

Particularly during COVID, everybody had to evolve all of their businesses to survive. Everyone has been looking for better ROI.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution has very good documentation.

We've found the solution to be very stable.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see expanded device support, particularly for IoT things like SCADA devices. That would be a huge benefit, especially as we automate more in production in the commercial sectors like manufacturing.

I've been using the solution for about three and a half years at this point. It's been a while now.

Overall I'm impressed with the solution. Some of the historical predecessors have not been as solid and stable as compared to Intune. VMware is adapting and scaling the Workstation One product line, and they likely just created the new MDM-only version to have something outside of Horizon for people who want only MDM

That said, this is very stable. It doesn't have bugs or glitches and doesn't crash or freeze. It's very good.

We've found that the solution works just as well for small companies as it does for large ones. It works across the spectrum of business sizes very well.

I have had interactions with technical support. Each customer is different, however. Sometimes we get into some squirrely situations where we're trying to meet a weird customer need and have to pull them in.

I have found them to be very, very knowledgeable and very good at thinking out of the box. I've never had a bad experience with one of their engineers - even if they are trying to help me do something weird. When a customer wants to do something really weird, they find a way to make it work. I haven't had a situation where they couldn't make it work.

We are extremely satisfied with their level of support.

The initial setup is not complex, especially if you're familiar with the VMware product line. It's very straightforward due to the fact that it's intuitive with our way of thinking.

Most IT people will tell you if they came up with Microsoft or Cisco, whichever ecosystem, once they understood the mental model behind product design, then it didn't matter. They could find their way around anything new. The same is true with VMware. If a company is used to VMware tools and other areas, it'll transition straight across for that.

In our case, we did an emergency deployment. What I would call a saturation deployment. We threw technical bodies at it to get it done faster. We turned it in in about 48 hours. The equipment came onsite.

Assuming the equipment's there, you can move fast. What might be an issue right now is lag time. The big lag time is just trying to get the equipment. Once it's was there, we were able to turn it around within 48 hours. It was for a 3,500 students community college that went overnight during COVID from classroom instruction to online.

Their first online classes were zoom. They deployed a whole bunch of low-cost laptops out there and they allowed people to bring their own devices if they had one, as long as the college could manage it. It was just kind of a rush, however, we got it out and deployed and we found that help desk calls were very low. It's just a combination of a great product and good documentation.

In terms of maintenance, if it's MDM-only then you just need one person, maybe half time, for up to a thousand users. I've got one person at about 2,500 users right now. It's just a matter of how much change goes on in the environment, or if are you deploying new applications or iOS versions. If you are constantly turning over devices, you may need a bit more maintenance. Typically this type of work is assigned to an end-point administrator.

The solution runs at roughly around $36/user for a year. Companies just pay the basic fee. That's MSRP. They do sales off of that so that vendors can get discounts under certain circumstances. The price will vary, however, that's the MSRP on it.

I've seen them go crazy at the company's year-end. Timing really can be everything.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a solutions architect for a VMware partner. I supervise the implementation team. There are engineers that are out there that implement it and do the post-implementation support as well.

Largely, we are working with on-premises deployment models, however, we're working towards a hybrid deployment. It's hard for some organizations to break the old ways of thinking. They mistrust the cloud and while on-site is tried and true, and something you can put your hand on, it's just an education process and it takes time for companies to come around to the cloud is just as good.

I would advise companies to not implement as you learn. Rather take time to understand the product and plan everything ahead. It will be easier.

On a scale from one to ten. I'd put it at an eight. There's always room to improve and always room to grow. In comparison, for example, I'd rate Intune about a six, however, it's definitely coming.

Support Engineer at Grupovidanta
Feature-rich, good for Android device management
  • "It's a tool that can be managed in various departments."
  • "I prefer to work with Jamf Pro because it is more specific to working with the iPad features."

What is our primary use case?

We use Workspace ONE for managing devices. We can create users who can only use systems in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

It's a large enterprise platform that offers many tools. It's a tool that can be managed in various departments.

What needs improvement?

VMware is an expensive tool, and we are not using the complete platform. We are paying for a tool that we are not fully using. We need a specific tool that provides us with what we need.

We have decided to switch to another solution that we are currently evaluating and doing PoCs for because we work on iPads only. I prefer to work with Jamf Pro because it is more specific to working with the iPad features.

We have been using VMware Workspace One for the last 12 months.

We are currently doing a PoC for Jamf Pro. I am learning and trying to understand the platform. We are still in the testing phase.

It's an expensive tool.

We are currently evaluating different solutions to find the best MDM platform to suit our needs. We are looking at Aurelia Santiago.

What other advice do I have?

We are having some issues with VPN providers. They don't work with the settings that we need.

In a month or two, we will have to connect with the Active Directory for research and to configure the users.

We manage Android devices only, with a custom tool that was created.

I would rate VMware Workspace One a ten out of ten.

SAP BASIS Technical Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A scalable, stable, and easy-to-deploy solution that gives us the ability to control mobiles remotely
  • "It is like any other mobile solution. It gives us the ability to control remotely, and that is what we like. We can wipe out and deploy remotely."
  • "They do have a good integration, but there is a long way to go as far as integration is concerned. They need to integrate with the cloud solutions a little bit more. We are looking for Azure integration."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for managing mobiles at a very elementary level. Basically, we want to control mobiles and allow a limited number of apps.

What is most valuable?

It is like any other mobile solution. It gives us the ability to control remotely, and that is what we like. We can wipe out and deploy remotely.

What needs improvement?

They do have a good integration, but there is a long way to go as far as integration is concerned. They need to integrate with the cloud solutions a little bit more. We are looking for Azure integration.

I have been using this solution for a year at the most.

It is stable. There are no stability issues.

It scales well. Everybody in our organization is using it.

They are perfect. They are available whenever we need them.

We didn't use any other solution previously.

It was simple.

Its pricing was okay for our company.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have any experience with other similar solutions, so I can't compare it with others. We decided to go with it and stick with it. It served the purpose in my previous organization. It is also serving the purpose in this organization. It is pretty good. VMware is one of the leaders.

I would rate VMware Workspace ONE a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
General Manager at ti724
Feature-rich, and performs comparatively well
  • "It has all of the features that we need to use and that we want to use."
  • "I would like to see some integration with native Microsoft products such as Anti-value."

What is most valuable?

It has all of the features that we need to use and that we want to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some integration with native Microsoft products such as anti-value.

Pricing is an area that could be improved.

They are much better than Microsoft but it is difficult to compete against them.

Microsoft has everything embedded and VMware is a different product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate VMware Workspace ONE an eight out of ten.

Head of IT at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, scalable, good multi-platform capabilities, and good support
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the multi-platform support."
  • "The initial setup should be simplified."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the multi-platform support.

All features are at all sites.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup should be simplified.

I would like to see further integration suites and user direct using IdPs such as Okta. I would also like proper integration in the field of endpoint security.

I am planning to use this solution now. It's not up and running fully.

I implemented it at a previous company that is reworking it now, and have been using it for a year and a half, in a positive way.

The stability is superb.

It's a scalable solution.

I like the technical support a lot. It's really first hand, high-level support.

The initial setup is pretty complicated. It can be a steep learning curve.

It can take between three to six months to deploy and get everything fully working.

Pricing is the correct price, it's normal pricing. I think that the price is reasonable.

We evaluated Intune by Microsoft, as well as and Jamf.

Intune is more Windows-focused, with limited capabilities for Mac OS.

Also, it is high maintenance.

Jamf is only focused on Macintosh, and the integration with Windows is limited.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to find a good integrator to assist with the implementation.

Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Stable and scales well but needs better training
  • "We've found the solution to be easy to use."
  • "Technical support needs to be more responsive to our requests."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is primarily used for mobility services. The solution has been mainly used for multiple platforms, including Android, Linux-based services, Windows, and MacBooks. If you want to access your organization data from anywhere, from any device, you do it via this solution.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The solution scales well.

We've found the solution to be easy to use. Compared to other products, this is much better for MBM products.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to offer better training. We need to understand items such as third-party integration capabilities or new features before we start to work on a new implementation. Sometimes, this isn't clear and it can affect our work. The training that is available is quite expensive for us. They need to make it much more reasonable so that we can afford to be properly trained and informed.

Technical support needs to be more responsive to our requests. If something happens on a weekend, we won't get any help until at least the next business day.

I've been using the solution for the past two years at this point.

The product is very stable. We don't experience bugs or glitches per se. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is quite scalable. If a company wants to expand it, they can. It's not difficult.

Currently in my organization, we are using the solution for 300 people. However, I have done installations for approximately five to six clients. In the last one and a half years I have done installations for different types of devices and have handled anywhere from 5,000 devices, and users all the way up to 10,000 users. In the latest deployment I'm working on has 30,000 users.

Technical support is pretty good. That said, if something happens on a weekend, we won't be able to get the support we need. It also sometimes takes a while to get everything resolved. We might have to email back and forth two or three times. It really should be faster.

I also have experience with Jamf Pro, however, that solution is specifically used for Apple products.

The initial setup can be straightforward, however, it depends on the installation requirements and the clients' requirements. It depends on if they want the DR setup or a DC or SA set up, and/or clustering. If the requirements increase, the time it takes will increase as well. If the prerequisite has been done clearly previous to the starting of the installation, then it will take much less time.

I implement the solution on behalf of clients.

I don't handle licensing or billing. Therefore, I'm not sure what the total cost is to our organization. I don't know if it's overly expensive or fairly reasonable. I'm purely a technical team member.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the latest version of the solution.

I'm not a client. I'm an architect of Workspace ONE. I implement the solution for clients, so I don't use it directly per se. I implement all deployment models, both cloud and on-premises.

I'd recommend the solution to other companies.

Overall, I've been pretty satisfied with the solution. I would rate it at a seven out of ten. It has all of the features I need. We just need to be better informed when there are new features or changes.

Managing Partner at Digitaiken
Streamlines employee management and supports many different operating systems
  • "The feature with the highest rating for me is its employee management. I can also praise how versatile it is in terms of operating systems. It has good support for multiple operating systems and can easily manage them all. Not just that, but it can also support any kind of tool that can be run on all these operating systems."
  • "From an identity perspective, there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to integration with other solutions. I would say it needs more capabilities in terms of direct integrations, including cloud identity solution integrations."

What is our primary use case?

I have used VMware Workspace ONE to manage and support the applications and operating systems (including Windows) used by staff in environments with all different kinds of requirements.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

From an identity perspective, there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to integration with other solutions. I would say it needs more capabilities in terms of direct integrations, including cloud identity solution integrations.

Other areas of improvement are the synchronization functionality, as well as group management. I believe these areas could do with some polish. But beyond that, I wouldn't say anything else needs to be revamped.

I have been using VMware Workspace ONE for almost three years now.

It's a stable product, but regarding their capability in terms of pushing out patches and all that, they do seem to hit a ceiling sometimes. They need to increase their capability a little more in this area.

For example, it lags sometimes when sharing content, pushing updates, and so on. These areas have been a bit inconsistent when we had the initial setup and it's improved slightly since then, but it's not quite there yet.

I have found that it's always been scalable enough for our purposes.

The customer service is very good. They have supported everything from their out-of-the-box solution and even more than that. They extended their support to other regions when we started using them. And for some of the areas that they already serve, they came out on-site to help support us.

It's pretty straightforward. For the initial setup, it took around four days because we had requirements that prevented us from using it immediately as an out-of-the-box solution. That is, our setup had to adhere to certain scenarios which took some time to configure properly. To deploy the entire customized solution, I'd say it took around two to three weeks in total.

We implemented a customized solution that was based around specific scenarios and we were able to get their support team out on-site to help us.

If you have a host of custom requirements (including licensing), make sure to set aside enough time for the initial setup because it can take up to a few weeks depending on how complex your environment is.

What other advice do I have?

I can surely recommend VMware Workspace ONE to others.

I would rate VMware Workspace ONE a nine out of ten.

A simple and secure enterprise platform that delivers and manages apps
  • "VMware Workspace ONE has been stable so far."
  • "It's not accurate enough when it comes to sending items to end-users."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use VMware Workspace ONE for managing Macs and iOS devices.

What needs improvement?

Although it's supposed to be compatible with Chromebooks and Windows, we find that it's quite limited. I think it doesn't work properly with Chromebooks because you need a Google license to manage them. For this reason, we didn't end up using AirWatch with Chromebooks.

The overall accuracy could also be improved. It's not accurate enough when it comes to sending items to end-users.

I have been using VMware Workspace ONE for three years.

VMware Workspace ONE has been stable so far.

My main concern with the support is that they don't have a team. You always get a freelancer — often there are difficulties relating to language barriers. Sometimes they are experts, sometimes they are not.

I didn't do the initial setup by myself. I had to hire a consultant and some other specialists to do it for me.

VMware Workspace ONE is not cheap; it's quite expensive. However, in the end, they gave us a reasonable price.

What other advice do I have?

If you have Mac or SNIS devices, it works fine and the price will be reasonable. If you have a lot of money to invest, there are better options out there.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give VMware Workspace ONE a rating of eight.

There should be more powerful features available for Mac, like what GEMS has already introduced — especially in regards to the level of system updates, and software updates. It should be easier to manage things, especially for Mac. If they improved this, I would give them a higher rating.

IT Professional at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
A stable product and the interface for SCAP is good
  • "The most valuable feature is the interface with SCAP, which is the Security Content Automation Protocol."
  • "The reverse proxy is not intuitive and it takes time to get it right, so this is something that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Workspace ONE with our shared devices.

What needs improvement?

The cost of this product is a little high and should be reduced.

There are a lot of interfaces and components, which makes the setup a little bit complex.

If you have a lot of shared devices and want to have a mass deployment, then it is time-consuming to do. They have a feature where you can send out a code for enrollment under VMware, to obtain a user ID, but even with that, it has to be done one by one. You have to go inside and dig out the code, one at a time, and record it. It would be helpful if it generated a report so that you could use it to talk with the team. As it is now, it is not difficult but it could have been done better.

We have been using VMware Workstation ONE for a few months.

This product is quite stable.

I presume that it is scalable.

We have used and are still using other similar solutions.

The initial setup for us was simplified because we started with implementing a PoC. There are too many interfaces involved, which makes it complex at the start of the deployment.

The cost is a little bit high.

What other advice do I have?

As we have just begun using this product, we are still comparing some of the features that it has.

Application Support Specialist at a aerospace/defense firm with 501-1,000 employees
A great solution for protecting your mobile devices
  • "The remote management and location capabilities are good."
  • "The app installer is something that they should really change. It creates a lot of confusion for the user."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution simply for the management of iPads.

What is most valuable?

The remote management and location capabilities are good. We don't use the Find My iPhone app, so this has helped a lot.

What needs improvement?

The app installer is something that they should really change. It creates a lot of confusion for the user. The app installer will notify you when an update is available, but it doesn't tell you what's going to be installed. So if you tell the user to update, they won't do it because if they look at the app installer, they're going to see that they have the latest version.

They also need a different UI for the app installer.

I have been using this solution for three to four years.

It's stable. Every now and then you have some hiccups, but overall, it's a stable product. In regards to stability, I would give it an eight out of ten.

It really depends on the issue that you have. Some support members can really answer the questions, and some of them seem really lost regarding what to do; then you get escalated from one department to another, so it really depends on what's going on.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give VMware Workspace ONE a rating of eight.

Head Of Information Security at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good policy-driven control and visibility, straightforward to set up, and the support is helpful
  • "The most valuable feature is policy-driven control of the devices."
  • "When it comes to deployment and maintaining security, there should be an integrated console where you have a singular view of all of the products from the same OEM."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product for BYOD and mobility management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is policy-driven control of the devices.

The visibility of these devices is very good.

It integrated well with my existing data classification tool.

What needs improvement?

VMware should develop an integrated platform for their security products to give a singular integrated and holistic view of the devices covered by different security products whether Workspace One or Carbon Black. Should also look at having a common end point agent to be deployed as an added advantage to customers who own both the products Workspace One as well as the recently acquired EDR - Carbon Black.

Also, VMware should have a special support package for on premise setups so that the same value is realised by customers similar to cloud based deployment.

We have been using this product for about one year.

We have not had problems with stability beyond the sorts of issues that you have with new products. Normally, it requires a bit of help from the support team.

Easy scalable.

The technical support from VMware is pretty good. I have not seen any tickets open for more than four days.

No. Workspace One is our first solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. For us, it was more about how we were deploying it and what resources were needed. Our deployment took place over a period of three months.

I would suggest accessing support from VMware when you begin the implementation.

We have a team that is a combination of in-house and outsourced people. Importantly, once this product is deployed and working well, you don't require much maintenance. One or two people for administration is sufficient.

Too soon to comment but would be interesting to see the invested cost break even next year.

Decent pricing. Device based licensing is the best approach.

When we were evaluating enterprise mobility management solutions, it was between VMware, Blackberry, Maas360, MobileIron.

What other advice do I have?

Workspace One is a product that I strongly recommend. They are the leader in the category and it's a wonderful product. My advice for anybody who is implementing it is to focus on what they need to achieve in the organization and build a strategy for that. This is what the relationship with the product should be based on.

My approach was to integrate my existing solution with the new one that was under procurement, and it was a good fit that met my requirements. I would suggest this strategy for any new product that is being on-boarded.

For somebody using the cloud version, with reduced maintenance, I think that this would be a ten out of ten product. In my case, however, as my team is not the expert in maintaining this product and are in learning phase, I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

GM COE at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A very good product that is easy to deploy, manage, and maintain
  • "Cloud-based VMware Workspace ONE is very good. It is easy to deploy and manage. Maintenance is also quite simple."
  • "Pricing is the only challenge right now. The licensing fee should be simplified a little bit. They have kept too many products as add ons. These need to be bundled with the low-cost, standard version. This will help customers in adopting this technology at a faster pace."

What is most valuable?

Cloud-based VMware Workspace ONE is very good. It is easy to deploy and manage. Maintenance is also quite simple.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is the only challenge right now. The licensing fee should be simplified a little bit. They have kept too many products as add-ons. These need to be bundled with the low-cost, standard version. This will help customers in adopting this technology at a faster pace.

We have been dealing with VMware Workspace ONE for almost four years.

A customer faced one global downtime in India. Apart from that, I have not seen any downtime. It's pretty stable.

Scalability is absolutely fine. We have experience with scaling 5,000 users so far.

In terms of technical support, we are almost L1, L2, and L3 because VMware offloads the complete professional or PSO service to us. We deployed a complete VMware PSO for a system in India. We don't generally see many challenges. There are a few challenges for which we take help from the support team, and we find them very good.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, especially the cloud setup is very simplified.

Deployment duration depends on the customer success criteria or the scope of work. We have handled 3,000 and 5,000 users deployments. It took one and a half months to role out 1,500 users. Our largest scope was around 5,000 users, which took almost two months to complete.

It depends on the number of users because you need Windows 10 management, mobile management, and everything you want to see. If it is a greenfield deployment, then it's very straightforward. If it is not a straightforward greenfield deployment, integration also takes some time. Everything is a working field where we need to manage the timeline, production, clean window, and communication with customers and users, which takes some time.

There is a separate cost for technical support and extra premium features. The pricing should be simplified.

What other advice do I have?

We are the first master service in India. We are a service partner, and we are deploying this solution for our customers. A few deployments are on-premises, and a few are on the cloud. Cloud deployment is simple, but from the security point of view, few banks want to deploy it on-premises.

I absolutely recommend VMware Workspace ONE. It's a very good product. They should keep improving the pricing and innovation of the product. Otherwise, the customer will not be convinced about the cost. That's the only problem. India is very cost-sensitive. Everyone wants everything free in India, which is a big problem.

I would rate VMware Workspace ONE a ten out of ten.

Telecoms & Mobile Device Support Analyst at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Ease of use is a key feature and good technical support is available
  • "A very easy to use solution."
  • "Cost of licensing is quite high."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use the solution for deployed iPhones and tablets. I'm a telecom and mobile device support analyst.

What is most valuable?

Once you get to know the solution it's quite simple to use. It's really a matter of pushing profiles. Ease of use is a good aspect.

What needs improvement?

The main negative issue is the cost of licensing. In terms of additional features, it's hard to say because I know there are other options out there, add-ons and other things that are within workspace and available,but I haven't had time to investigate. We're not going to be supported after next year.

I've been using this solution for three years.

That area is all connected with the upgrades. We've had some issues and we've had to have a contractor come in to help us scale up.

We're in contact with customer support all the time and they are pretty good on the phone, Because they have a 24-hour support desk, we always get somebody in India and sometimes there's a bit of a language barrier but on the whole, they're good.

I don't deal with the licensing myself but we've got 1,500 devices so you can get an idea of what the cost is going to be. We have 500 users in the company.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

User at PCCW GLOBAL
Displays a list of mobile assets, but lacks the ability to "remote wipe" a stolen device
  • "The feature that we find most valuable is the corporate email pushing."
  • "The mobile device repository is somewhat difficult to manage with a large user base."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are mobile device tracking and corporate email push.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a central repository of the corporation's different mobile devices.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we find most valuable is the corporate email pushing. It seems quite straightforward and efficient (most of the time).

What needs improvement?

The mobile device repository is somewhat difficult to manage with a large user base.

I would like to see support for "remote wipe" in the case device of theft.

Enables us to manage all of the devices on our campus through one central service
  • "We used to have a system before, Mac OS Open Directory server and this open directory became obsolete because Apple decided to stop the enterprise market, so there was no other alternative for us to use. We chose this to replace the open directory and we found that it has many more features than the previous solution. We totally rely on it right now to manage all the devices on campus."

What is our primary use case?

We are a large school managing Mac devices on all levels. We manage the iPads, push education through the iPads, and AirWatch works great. We use it to do a lot of tasks for the school work - manage teachers devices, student devices, and lab computer devices.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Managing Mac Devices with profiles. Pushing Apps to iOS devices.

What needs improvement?

The accuracy of the management function has room for improvement. It's important to us because sometimes we send a profile to the machine and it's pending but doesn't reach. And we have to go manually and push it. Also, Chromebook management needs a lot to be improved.

It's very stable despite the accuracy component that I want them to focus on improving.

Scalability is great for us. When we evaluated other solutions, they didn't meet our scalability needs.

We have it deployed have on our entire server. All of our accounts propagate to 1500 users. It's great to have all of our users being managed by one central service.

It's a newer solution and I use it at school so I always rely on their technical support. Sometimes they are great, but sometimes they are not.

I switched to AirWatch because it is compatible with different platforms like Windows, Mac, iOS devices, Chromebooks devices. The previous solution we were using did support Mac ONLY.

The initial setup was straightforward with the consultant's help, but without, I couldn't do it by myself. The documentation is not enough to do the implementation of the product. You still need a consultant to guide you.

The deployment changes every year and the policies change every year. The time it takes to deploy depends on how many devices you have. If you're like ourselves and have a ton of devices, it takes a month to finish the deployment.

For our implementation strategy, we moved on the groups of the policies that were assigned for each. Our strategy was to bend different policies on each so we can get the most of the features we needed to apply to each group.

We used a consultant from France. He was excellent and guided us through the setup of the contact and the implementation.

If you purchase it for one year, it is very expensive. If you get it for three years or up to five years, then you can bargain a better price.

Jamf Casper.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. They need to make it so that you can add more tools to work so that it can cover all of the management tools that you need to manage all of the devices.

I highly recommend AirWatch because it covers the compatibility issue. For an organization like us, we have the same platform and want to manage multiple devices, and it is the best solution for us right now.

Amira Youssef - PeerSpot reviewer
    Amira YoussefServer Administrator Coordinator at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
    Top 20Real User

We are currently exploring the Windows support as well. There are many features to use.

User at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reseller
    Ensures that your data is centralized, secure, and doesn't get hacked
    • "It's all about centralizing your data and making sure that your data is centralized and secure."
    • "The solution needs to adapt to the cloud based reality of the current world model. Some customers may have reluctance to this, but it is the next level for all of the big providers. Azure, AWS and Google are all on the forefront of cloud-based solutions."

What is our primary use case?

It's all about centralizing your data and making sure that your data is centralized and secure. Instead of putting your data on a laptop, you can put it centrally and there you can have full control over it. It's about centralizing the data and making sure it's not jeopardized. It stays legitimate and unchanged. It doesn't get hacked. It's all about centralizing the data and having control over your data.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to adapt to the cloud based reality of the current world model. Some customers may have reluctance to this, but it is the next level for all of the big providers. Azure, AWS, and Google are all at the forefront of cloud-based solutions.

I think the stability depends on the initial implementation. All of the use cases must be properly dealt with in order for the solution to be stable.

Scalability depends on the hardware platform you put it on. That's why we tried to put it on a hyperconverged infrastructure to keep the number of users scalable which keeps the performance momentum so that it can be properly scaled.

We used tech support but they have room for improvement.

Some users think that the cloud model will lower the cost but that is not necessarily the case.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest making a proof of concept with a reseller that can give advice and set up the infrastructure using the use cases that you are pre-testing.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a reseller
    it_user825465 - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Consultant/Program Manager at Thanachart Bank
    The standard features are packed with flexibilities
      • "The setup was very difficult. It was not as easy as I had expected."

What is our primary use case?

The standard features and securities are packed with flexibilities to enable and disable in accordance with the customer’s business operational process and IT Helpdesk process.

How has it helped my organization?

I can get to know and respond to my work email instantly without any worry of company data and security.

What is most valuable?

I find the most valuable feature is the MDM on my personal iPhone.

Less than one year.

It is a stable product.

It is a scalable product.

Tech support is helpful and has quick turn-around for us.

The setup was very difficult. It was not as easy as I had expected.

The pricing of the product needs advisement. It would be great to bundle the VM products together. The actual box itself should be included in the license. At present, it is not paired with the mobile device. Furthermore, the Licensing Structure of the VMware products is expensive if purchased separately.

Management Trainee at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The BYOD management console has smooth application performance.
      • "It seems highly stable and scalable."
      • "In terms of the inventory management side, as in the invoice management, the stock management and the entire inventory of an organization is lagging a bit in comparison to Blackberry or other EMM solutions."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is we have a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy. The employees have their own devices and to separate the corporate data from the personal data, we are using Airwatch. We monitor all dual aspects; we monitor email management and content management.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our email management and the separation of personal and corporate data.

What is most valuable?

The management console is great. The BYOD management console has a smooth application performance. Whenever I choose an application, template or report, it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the inventory management side, as in the invoice management, the stock management and the entire inventory of an organization is lagging a bit in comparison to Blackberry or other EMM solutions.

It is a stable product.

It seems highly scalable. There are no challenges.

The setup was straightforward. There were no challenges during the initial setup.

When considering a vendor for our needs the primary concern is the technology. It should be  within the parameters that are required for our needs.I would definitely reccomend a free trial period to really get to know the product and whether it is a good fit for the organization.

The pricing and licensing are affordable. They are not too high.

Product Manager ( HP EG Enterprise ) at Ingram Micro
      We currently find it is a stable product. We do not have to worry anymore about our data.
      • "No issues with scalability."
      • "Setup is not too complex."

What is our primary use case?

We currently have 50-100 employees, and are growing towards 100 employees. We use some of our devices quite confidentially, and we use AirWatch to protect those devices. We want to separate personal data, and the company data because our employees are using their personal smart phone to access our email. It is just for data the email.

What is most valuable?

I don't have to worry anymore about my data after I used the EMM.

What needs improvement?

I want to see VMware move the management to the cloud. For now, the management is the premise of our server, but we want to move it to the cloud.

Less than one year.

Yes, this product is stable.

Our company is still pretty small, so I have no issues with scalability at the moment. I have heard that this VMware product can manage over 20,000 employees. We are not at that stage of need yet.

The premise is that you just have to install the software. We had already programmed the server. It was a bit complex on the setting up of the policy, at first. Once the policy was done, then we had to update. Every so often, we still need to update. It's not too complex.

I have no opinion about the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

VMware is the better solution versus other things that are out there. It is an EMM to help us problem solve issues.

Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Provides IT with security control over email yet end-users have flexibility in accessing email
      • "It's all about securing data with the help of the email client called VMware Boxer. It enables the end-user to carry data in their mobile devices but there is containerization between the personal data and the organization's data. It helps enhance their security while still carrying their own BYOD."
      • "People who want to adopt this solution may be thinking about it from the end-user's perspective, but this solution is also very friendly for the people who manage it. It's administration-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for containerization and email management, EMM.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, my end-users would carry their complete email in their Outlook client. After we started using this solution, people started to use our actual email, with the help of the mobile client. It enables people to access their mail from wherever they want, whenever they want, and however they want. It enables users to carry a highly manageable platform and also a highly secure one.

In terms of IT, we can achieve security control, but from the end-user's point of view they have flexibility in how they use their mail.

What is most valuable?

It's all about securing data with the help of the email client called VMware Boxer. It enables end-users to carry data in their mobile devices but there is containerization between the personal data and the organization's data. It helps enhance their security, while still carrying their own BYOD.

Redundancy, manageability, and lack of complexity, are the typical things which make people choose VMware AirWatch.

Whatever product you choose in the VMware portfolio, everything is stable and very reliable. It is very controlled and very stable for product usage and in terms of manageability.

We have definitely not had any issues with scalability. It is highly redundant, highly scalable.

It is very easy to deploy. For the installation and configuration, we had straightforward documentation. With the help of consultants and architects, we developed the right design. They helped us to move forward.

If you ask me, in terms of installation, configuration, management, and monitoring, this solution is far better than others.

In terms of pricing, this solution is definitely much more expensive compared to other solutions, like MobileIron or MaaS360 or any other product in the market. This solution is more expensive by 30 or 40 percent. That is very hard because, while enterprise companies can afford for this pricing, if you look at the SMB sector, they can't afford this pricing, and they won't adopt this kind of technology.

We did a pilot of MaaS360.

When compared to other mobility solutions:

We think VMware AirWatch stands ahead of the other solutions. Other players can improve their functionalities and features by looking at the features of VMware AirWatch. This product is much more stable, much more compliant, and much more redundant. Also, rolling out the solution is much easier when compared to other products or vendors.

What other advice do I have?

This is a reliable solution, not like other vendors which may be good in some areas but lack in other areas. When compared to other products, AirWatch is highly scalable, redundant, reliable, and easily manageable. People who want to adopt this solution may be thinking about it from the end-user's perspective, but this solution is also very friendly for the people who manage it. It's administration-friendly.

Global Mobility Leader at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
        Self-service and automation, along with integration with major players, are key for us
        • "For me, the integration of AirWatch with various enterprise components is something I like. The way they are partnering with various services, like security services, or some of the big guys like Google, Android, Apple, and including Microsoft; that's really awesome. And the way they look at providing functionality to create self-service and automation, that's really usefully and beneficial. That's where I see they differentiate themselves."
        • "One of the things that I want them to improve on, if possible, is the management of Mac devices, MacBook Pro, for example. They do it, but they have scope for improvement, in my opinion. It's not that it's that bad, it just a small need."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for device management. We have an on-premise environment, we are looking to go to cloud, and we want to manage the device, manage the applications of the device, manage the contents, and of course, manage e-mail on the device.

How has it helped my organization?

There are various MDM vendors, and I've used at least five of them. The reason I prefer AirWatch is simply because it helps me to think more in terms of a future perspective. It has given me the right tools for my enterprise. That's the key thing. It aligns with our IT strategy in a very good way.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

AirWatch has all the features. One of the things that I want them to improve on, if possible, is the management of Mac devices, MacBook Pro, for example. They do it, but they have scope for improvement, in my opinion. It's not that it's that bad, it's just a small need. They have set the bar very high already so that's the expectation.

Three to five years.

It's absolutely stable, no issues.

We have a large instance. We have tens of thousands of devices already, and I don't think there are any issues at that scale. We are probably one of the top-10 customers in terms of scale.

Technical support is really awesome. They follow up, they have it 24/7, they handle things in multiple regions. It's not like just one person will be there and they're not responsive. They are responsive, they ensure that they give the right priority to their customers. If it's a critical item, which means it's a showstopper, they do help us immediately and ensure that there is proper follow-up among the team members. It's not like they leave you hanging there. There are very good documented records in terms of what actions have been taken, and what the next engineer is going to come in and do.

I was the one who set it up. It was not complex, it was an appliance-based setup and it was pretty easy. AirWatch was there, but I was the one who was there from day one.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to understand your requirements: What is important, what is your environment, and what are you looking for? If you are a government company, that means you are looking at a lot of data protection, security is the highest priority. If your back office is Microsoft and you are looking at an integration with your Microsoft products, that would be a different thing. If you are a salesperson, with Salesforce and you're application oriented... it all depends. Each organization has different needs. It depends on your priorities, what you need in terms of making sure your productivity, your top line and the bottom line, grow. It's nothing like one size fits all.

When selecting a vendor, there are multiple things to consider, there is not just one. But one of the things I would really look at this moment, because so many vendors already give that, is the ability to do discovery/self-services analytics: How the solution is going to help. It should give some kind of a blueprint in terms of what's happening in an enterprise, so that you can take an informed decision. I would make analytics a key decision point.

I rate AirWatch at about nine out of 10. I would not give them 10 because there is always room for improvement. I have had no issues and it has been really awesome for me. I have been using it for five years, and I have seen how they have moved up on the ladder, how they've integrated, how they have gone forward moving into the enterprise, and the rate of change, of transformations. It's really excellent.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We sell our products through them.
        it_user568986 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Talent Acquisition Leader at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
        • "If an outside person tries to track or hack information, it is not possible without us being notified."
        • "The console comes bunched together as a package and inbuilt. Its called Workspace ONE. Whenever we have an issue, we contact the service provider, and instead of a fix, we are just getting the next version of Workspace ONE."

What is our primary use case?

We use it against security breaches. We have a lot of corporate information, which is highly confidential. We don't want that information to be leaked. We have AirWatch to avoid allowing everybody access to all the information and using it. Once an employee's device is enrolled, everything is under security, so there won't be any opportunities for security breaches.

How has it helped my organization?

We are sending emails from one person to another person in the same domain. This falls under security. We need there to be no security breaches, when we are sending emails which are confidential. There can be no points of leakage. If an outside person tries to track or hack information, it is not possible without us being notified.

What is most valuable?

1. Application management: Apply application to users via a catalog or app store.
        2. Content management: Attachments, documents, PDFs, etc. and emails should be encrypted.
        3. Device management: Basic troubleshooting.
        4. Email management: Avoid email hacks.

It is stable.

Solution Sales Supervisor at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Enables setting up groups with different deployment policies, but MBM/MCM could be better
        • "Among the most important improvements is the ability to set up different groups with different deployment policies."
        • "The Content Locker cannot inherit permissions for the Windows Public Folder. If they could integrate with Microsoft on this point, it would be the perfect functionality."

What is our primary use case?

My customer is a Microsoft and Apple site, 99 percent of the system in Windows Servers, and the company gives every manager an iPad or iPad Pro (500-plus devices).

We deployed the MDM functionality of AirWatch to control all devices and MEM is the next step. We are struggling in MBM/MAM because all the applications are IE compatible.

How has it helped my organization?

The company used DEP to manage all devices previously. Now, with AirWatch (Workspace ONE Advanced) they can manage all devices and apps more easily. Among the most important improvements is the ability to set up different groups with different deployment policies.

What is most valuable?

MEM is valuable because all push emails can be monitored.

What needs improvement?

MBM/MCM could be improved. MBM can support specific versions of development tools. If VMware would let the customer know this more clearly, we would not need to waste time explaining this and delaying the project.

Also, the Content Locker cannot inherit permissions for the Windows Public Folder. If they could integrate with Microsoft on this point, it would be the perfect functionality.

it_user869985 - PeerSpot reviewer
        music and programming with 501-1,000 employees
        Upgrades have to be scheduled, and the features we need are too expensive
        • "We can impose cybersecurity requirements."
        • "We're unhappy with the quality of support we get for it. We're unhappy with how upgrades occur, so we are migrating away from it. We have an on-premise AirWatch solution and for us to do upgrades we have to call AirWatch to be able to perform the upgrades. They're busy, and scheduling it is not timely enough for us."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for managing BYOD devices and also for government-furnished devices - we support the Department of Energy. We use it for about 1500 devices.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes us more efficient in managing these devices, in lieu of not having it, that's for sure. We can also impose cybersecurity requirements.

What is most valuable?

For the most part it works, that's valuable to us.

What needs improvement?

We're unhappy with the quality of support we get for it. We're unhappy with how upgrades occur, so we are migrating away from it. We have an on-premise AirWatch solution and for us to do upgrades we have to call AirWatch to be able to perform the upgrades. They're busy, and scheduling it is not timely enough for us.

There are features that we want like the ability to use Derived Credentials and things like that, which we can do with AirWatch, but doing so we move up into a different tier of licensing and the cost increases dramatically. To get the features we want, we can do the same thing with Microsoft Intune and we're going to see a product savings of over $70,000 a year.

it_user745155 - PeerSpot reviewer
        Security Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Enables us to push security policies at the device level
        • "The antivirus and the ability to push security policies down to the device are key features."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for handheld devices that have been corporately issued. They can include recognized devices whether they are connected to inventory, sales, or route delivery.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is that it helps our remote connections be as secure as possible. Also, being able to issue mobile devices increases productivity.

What is most valuable?

• Antivirus
          • The ability to push security policies down to the device

I think the stability is adequate, but I don't know for certain because we haven't actually stress tested it.

In terms of scalability, it has served our purposes, but I don't know if we go larger enterprise if it would be as satisfactory.

Our licensing is coming up, so we want to make sure that we either renew our current license or we go in another direction.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor include reliability, the ease of obtaining technical support, and responsiveness. And of course, price.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it at seven out of 10 because it doesn't fit perfectly into our framework.

My advice would be, look for the right sizing and the right use cases. It may be that the solution we're using is perfect for another vertical.

it_user583992 - PeerSpot reviewer
          Senior Systems Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
          ​If you want decent support mechanisms, expect to pay and pay well

What is most valuable?

• Easy to navigate interface for admins
          • Integration with Cisco ISE and other third party applications utilizing REST and SOAP APIs.
          • AD/SMTP/Certificate Integration (SCEP/DCOM)
          • Feature-rich, including integration with other VMware products (Content Management/Mail/VPN/SandPit).
          • Zero day support for new Mobile OS firmware – fast to market on new API’s available.

How has it helped my organization?

By allowing us to centrally manage cross-platform mobile devices for corporate and BYOD.

What needs improvement?

• QA – better code execution
          • Apple Mac management is troublesome
          • Documentation prerequisites often leave out important information.
          • Support in general; We have many issues that have never been fixed.

I've used this solution for six years.

• On-premise comes with challenges with upgrades and new features (SEG/Powershell)
          • Many bugs with every version release of both the console and AirWatch Apps/products. Often bringing back old documented issues in new releases.

Yes. Way too many servers needed for additional functionality which becomes very complex.

If you want decent support mechanisms, expect to pay and pay well. Otherwise, the process is time consuming often covering the same processors multiples times. The first point of contact takes notes of the issue with no product knowledge.

The next escalation is slow and often just asks for logs and is not helpful. If you are implementing a new service or upgrading expect to be charged for professional services even if you believe this is a support issue.

I have used many solutions over the past five years. They all have pros and cons and, unfortunately, no silver bullet.

Setup is complex in a large or on-premise environment. Recommend SaaS model for most scenarios, but still complex once you start plugging in the additional features.

VMware is expensive and continues to raise licensing costs year on year. Business model is to separate services so you need more servers which if you are a VMWare customer cost you more in licensing costs.

Also, I've noticed that the minimum hardware specs for your servers continue to be raised.

I have evaluated the other main players. MobileIron is built by engineers, not sales teams. Infrastructure is relatively simple and does what it says on the tin well.

AirWatch has many more features but is not always implemented well. The rest are all trying to catch up or are specialized for particular use cases.

What other advice do I have?

Scope out your functional requirements, HA and DR. You will need to plan for upgrades continually to any on-premise infrastructure. Lots of bad code so never go latest releases. If you want support, expect to pay. Managed services can be a good option. Test, test and test.

Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
          ​Have a long term plan in place and spend more time on designing the solution before rolling out
          • "AirWatch has one of the best User Interfaces and it's quite easy to figure out where particular items are within the menu system."
          • "AirWatch doesn't seem to empower IT admins to try new things or get creative with implementations."

What is most valuable?

They have good functionality across all the major platforms, too.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed employees to access their apps from their mobile or tablet while on the go, essentially freeing them from their old desktop workstations.

What needs improvement?

There is a lack of a real developer community. AirWatch doesn't seem to empower IT admins to try new things or get creative with implementations. They are more happy to sell you one of their support subscriptions.

I've used this solution for six years.

Some features like the AirWatch Launcher on Android can be very quirky.

The enrollment process on Android devices has always created challenges with scalability.

Scalability on iOS is seamless if you have developed a try zero touch build via AirWatch's integration with Apple's DEP and VPP deployment programs.

A three out of 10.

I manage Mobile Iron environments as a professional service. Through previous roles, I also have had exposure to InTune, SOTI MobiControl, and IBM MaaS360.

Not particularly, they are all evenly matched here.

Don't make compromises when enticed by enterprise license agreements for other products that may include their own MDM for a substantially low price.

You should take out a dedicated license agreement of your MDM fleet and invest heavily in innovating in this space. I've seen many companies that buy into MDM and don't make a continued investment in evolving their use cases.

Zen Mobile, Good, Silverback, and MobileIron.

What other advice do I have?

Have a long term plan in place and spend more time on designing the solution before rolling out. Never lose sight in what your key motivators are, whether it's enablement, scalability, security, or governance.

it_user173805 - PeerSpot reviewer
          Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
          Effective and simple to manage. Support for more devices would be an improvement.

What is most valuable?

We find this solution allows us to deploy apps more efficiently. We have a vendor that developed an app for their software for use in our company. We were able to deploy this custom built app easily.

We also find the Secure Email Gateway very useful. Active-Sync email routes through that server to the exchange server. With this configuration, we were able to lock down Exchange to only allow active-sync email from this server. We were able to configure the email settings within AirWatch to choose which extensions can be allowed on the email on the mobile device, as well as what app can be used to view attachments. There are alot of other options such as forwarding and screenshots that can be disabled, or restricted. We have implemented this with AirWatch Inbox to further lock down the email functionality and secure the email. We have also been able to deploy outlook settings to Windows desktop OS by using AirWatch.

I also like the ability to enroll devices in shared mode, which allows devices to be "checked out" by users by entering their username/password in the AirWatch app. Once they do this, their email is configured, and any apps, etc are downloaded. When they are done, they sign out, and the email and apps are removed.

I do like the remote wipe and how it allows you to locate a device if it is missing and delete the enterprise data, however these are limited on apple devices due to apple policies and cannot be changed by AirWatch. This will be the same on any MDM provider and isn't limited to just AirWatch. For example, if a device is stolen, you can't wipe it if they have it turned off. It will need to phone back home in order to be wiped. Now you can set a wipe after up to 10 passcode failed attempts which will help keep your data safe if it's stolen. You also can't force location services to be enabled by AirWatch. When enrolled, location services has to be enabled (or enabled later in the settings). AirWatch cannot force location services to be turned on due to Apple policies (and this will be the same for any other MDM provider). If the device is stolen and is phoning home, you can't locate it if location services was disabled or never enabled.

How has it helped my organization?

Jabber and other applications used often are easily able to be deployed and configured, as is e-mail. Email can also be secured more effectively with their product.

What needs improvement?

More functionality has been added for Windows desktop devices, and the options for Android and IOS has been fairly extensive already. The only recommendation I could make right now is continuing to add more functionality

We have had this deployed and in production for around 4 years now

No. The deployment is fairly simple.

We encountered an issue with the renewing of the APN certificate, which was due to a bug in the version we were running and was resolved in an update. We have had a need to move the database, and that was fairly difficult as documentation was sparse, and the first support technican said AirWatch would need re-installed. However the next support technician pointed me to the configuration file in the install path that I needed to change settings in.

This has functioned as we expected in scalability.

When we have worked with Customer service, they have most often been helpful, knowledgeable and timely. There have been some instances where they weren't great such as when I needed to move the database. The first technician stated we would need to re-install AirWatch, however I opened a case up again and the next technician pointed me to a configuration file that I just needed to update. There have been other moments when one technician states something isn't supported or possible, but the next technician would state it is and provide information on how to do it.

When we have worked with Technical Support, they have most often been helpful, knowledgeable and timely. If we got one that wasn't, we give it a day and open another case in hopes of getting a better technician.

We used the default exchange settings to manage e-mail however the settings for security and deployment are limited there compared to AirWatch. We also tried to Use Vipre MDM but it was very limited as well when compared to AirWatch.

The setup of AirWatch itself was performed by AirWatch, however the setup of groups, policies, apps, etc. was straightforward.

We implemented this product on our own. It was straightforward and fairly easy to implement.

What other advice do I have?

This product is effective and simple to manage. It has more options that stand-alone products such as Anti-Virus or Exchange.

it_user335925 - PeerSpot reviewer
          iOS Developer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
          Video Review

What is most valuable?

Two of the most valuable features are the MDM, mobile device management, and the content management, the containerization management of apps so that I can have clients that bring their own devices to an enterprise as well as enterprise apps, and I have two different solutions of deploying applications to those mobile devices. There are a lot of other aspects other than security that are advanced features in AirWatch that I didn't see in some of the competitor's products.

How has it helped my organization?

From an AirWatch standpoint, basically a lot of concerns in the enterprise today are security. With these MDM and mobile content management solutions, an organization can manage their applications without any concern for the end user losing important enterprise data.

For instance, say a person leaves an organization, we can basically, even though they own the device, we can using AirWatch, wipe all the content that's enterprise related off of that device immediately. If it's an enterprise device and it gets lost, we can wipe that device immediately. AirWatch gives you the security built into their solution that's very robust.

What needs improvement?

I'm so overwhelmed and pleased with the solution that they offer. The solution that I had before was so difficult for me to use that I haven't been able to use it enough to find things that it's lacking. There may be things out there that it's lacking, but I'm not just aware of those at this point.

We use the cloud version. They have a on-premise solution of AirWatch. We use the cloud solution of AirWatch. We found that the responsiveness of that solution far exceeds the competitor products. We used competitor products for a while, and we were consistently encountering issues with stability as far as connectivity, time outs, but the AirWatch solution flawless as far as the cloud solution is concerned.

From a scalability standpoint, it looks like it's really, really robust, but we haven't had the opportunity to scale it up to a high number of users. Just from a scalability standpoint, for instance, the ability to take organizational groups and manage at a lower level of an organization with the multi-tenancy just kind of blew my mind.

I'm amazed that somebody thought about this in advance of the solution of the development of the product so that the solution that comes out would be a solution that you can have like three or four companies under one AirWatch instance. I was amazed.

I myself, haven't used them a lot. When I have used them, it's been stellar. They've been very responsive. What I really like is they have the support infrastructure that allows you to go to their forums and ask questions. I've shared a lot of information with other forum participants and finding solutions to the specific problems that others have had as well as the search capabilities inside the forums are really robust.

There were some issues that we encounter with respect to.... For instance, we would have partners that we work with that have their own apps and they want to put those apps on our devices and use our devices, or they want to have their own devices and use our apps.

The solution that AirWatch had where you can manage just content on a device, or you can manage a device itself as far as an enterprise device, was a lot more flexible, so we were able to put our apps in, say, the Apple App Store and allow our partners to download those apps onto their devices in a containerized solution that we can immediately wipe.

For the cloud solution, it was really straightforward. There are some, they weren't issues, I wouldn't call them issues, there was just some technical obstacles to overcome that were more organizational than anything else related to the AirWatch connector to sync active directory, et cetera with the enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, I'd rate it a 10 but that's because everything that I've looked at from an AirWatch standpoint that it says it does this, this and this, it has been able to do and do well. You have to realize I have some exposure to experiences where, "Hey, our product does this, this and this." Then we go do those specific things and the product doesn't do it. Whereas with AirWatch, everything that it said it would do, it did out the gate. There wasn't like, "That's the next upgrade," or, "We'll ... " That's my satisfaction.

I think they should consider flexibility. One of the things with respect to AirWatch, and its ability to be flexible in any type of enterprise, and as well as working with external entities from your company that your teams or sales people are working with to deploy whatever solutions to any of your clients. You want something that's going to change so you can adapt it to your specific business model or business environment.

We see what other enterprises are doing. We look at that. Then we also look at some of the Gartner materials that are out there. We use some ITIL Standards to do some evaluations. Basically, we definitely look at what's happening externally in the environment. As you know, this industry is changing so fast. Somebody has a solution but that solution is no longer relevant by the time we implement it.

it_user321159 - PeerSpot reviewer
          Sr. Systems Engineer at a individual & family service with 501-1,000 employees
          It lets us see whether users have rooted their phones and allows us to set standards before letting phones onto our network. It lacks, however, app-level support.

Valuable Features

• Mobile provisioning
          • Security
          • Some mobile application provisioning

Improvements to My Organization

It lets us see whether users have rooted their phones, and set standards before letting phones on our network. It has minimal OS levels, and provides the abilities to enforce security.

Room for Improvement

• Application-level support
          • Per-app VPN coming together

It hasn’t always been good, but getting better. We do quasi-hosted situations, so getting it to the right level took a while.

I don't have the visibility of this.

We haven't had to use it.

I wasn't involved in the setup.

Other Solutions Considered

We chose Airwatch because it has a good setup, is easy to administer, and the POC was good.

Other Advice

I would recommend it, as it's very stable and robust. Make sure you stay current with it, and up to date.

it_user177183 - PeerSpot reviewer
          AirWatch Admin/Messaging Specialist at a government with 501-1,000 employees
          Great solution. Windows 8.1 could have more options to control.

Valuable Features

• Whitelisting applications
          • Remote enterprise wipe
          • GPS device location

Improvements to My Organization

Ability to deploy smartphone applications

Room for Improvement

Windows 8.1 could have more options to control

Use of Solution

6 months

AirWatch does not have control over Windows 8.0 devices which were the first 100 deployed devices.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Excellent customer service.

Excellent technical support.

Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
          MSP
          The solution offers a great deal of management for devices. But, the level of support still needs improvement

What is most valuable?

The Organization group approach they have taken to manage both Device and Administrative access

How has it helped my organization?

It has help in providing administrators with a way to separate devices based on business use cases.

What needs improvement?

There are currently canned reports that provide a a great deal of device detail. But, there could be room for the solutions to allow for custom reporting for ad-hoc reports

3 years

This is an area that could use some improvement. we have had a few incidents where the level of support was not what it was pictured to be.

There are a lot of very skilled engineers well versed in all aspects of the solution.

We have used multiple solutions. We are responsible for service delivery so we are expected to be familiar with the main players in the industry.

It depends. On-prem is a lot more involved than SaaS. There are a lot of moving parts for the on-prem version of the solution that can be consolidates if it is the desire of the client/customer.

Vendor. We have had a great experience with all of our current clients.

Yes, MobileIron, MaaS360, Blackberry, XenMobile, Afaria, Soti, Good.

it_user164091 - PeerSpot reviewer
          Mobility Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
          This product enables us to replace all existing stores PDA running Windows CE with iPod touch.

What is most valuable?

1. The ability to use shared device mode for check in/check out for corporate owned devices.
          2. Vast numbers of REST API for automation and integration.
          3. Very flexible in provisioning and assignment of devices, profiles, contents and apps.

How has it helped my organization?

This product enables us to replace all existing stores PDA running windows CE with iPod touch.

What needs improvement?

1. Better reporting functionality and performance.
          2. Improved BYOD solution with true DAR encryption for iOS devices and a better UI for the Airwatch Inbox app.

Over 2 years.

1. We use a SaaS solution from AirWatch and the issue that we have encountered was load issue with automatic app push to 10-60 thousands of devices.
          2. Airwatch has quickly added additional resources so that future app updates deployment will not cause problems.

Yes, we have seen inconsistency for performance from time to time.

No, Airwatch has accommodated out expanding number of endpoints.

With Enterprise Service agreement it is a 5/10. Without Enterprise Service agreement it is a 3/10.

In partnership with a 3rd party vendor, I would rate them at 3.5/10.

Too early to tell as these are devices replacing existing PDA and we have just completed the rollout.

Symantec App Center.

What other advice do I have?

Plan ahead as much as possible. However if there is a need to make significant changes in the environment post rollout, Airwatch is able to accommodate that with the flexibility of their product.

Download our free VMware Workspace ONE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
          Updated: May 2023