PetterVestengen - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly, scalable, and stable digital platform for app delivery and management
  • "App delivery and management platform that's user-friendly, with a good interface. Easy to scale, easy to set up, with good stability."
  • "Integration with Microsoft needs improvement. There are some dependencies with Microsoft that aren't 100% yet, for example: compliance synchronization."

What is our primary use case?

VMware Workspace ONE is used mainly for mobile device management.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable in VMware Workspace ONE is that it's user-friendly. It has a good interface for users to get access to applications and files. It's also a good source of feedback between IT and users.

What needs improvement?

A room for improvement for this product is its integration with Microsoft. It could be better, though most of it is there. There are some dependencies with Microsoft that aren't 100% yet, for example: compliance synchronization. It's something VMware is probably working on, but that's what's missing currently.

I've been working with VMware Workspace ONE for six years.

VMware Workspace ONE
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about VMware Workspace ONE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

VMware Workspace ONE is a stable solution.

VMware Workspace ONE is scalable. When they're in the cloud, scaling will be handled by VMware, but for on-premises environments, it's easy to scale up if you need more resources for servers.

VMware technical support is good. It depends on what trouble we get, but if there's a known fix, they're able to fix it fast. If there's a fix that needs to be created, they will focus on it and prioritize it.

The initial setup for this solution is straightforward, especially because I've done this for six years. If you know what you're doing, setting it up is easy.

This solution was implemented in-house. I could probably have done everything, but I don't have time to do everything myself, so we work as a team and share tasks between us. We don't need VMware tech support for the deployment, not unless we find some bugs.

VMware Workspace ONE has a yearly license. You pay upfront for one year. You have to buy licenses for one year at a time.

I evaluated Microsoft Enterprise Mobility.

What other advice do I have?

I work as a consultant, so I'm working with VMware Workspace ONE for my customers. I work with several different versions of this solution, but mostly with the latest version, and it will also depend on the requirement. Deployment is both on-premises and on cloud.

Completing the deployment for a cloud configuration of VMware Workspace ONE depends on how much you want to do, but a good, basic configuration could take three to five days.

We work with different customers, so this solution scales from a few hundred to several thousand users. I'm working mainly with iOS, Android, and macOS. They also have colleagues that handle the Windows desktop configurations.

The number of people needed for a VMware Workspace ONE deployment varies. I can't do everything alone, but if you are running it on-premises, the company should have resources, including handling vacations and sickness. There should be available resources for its deployment.

I'm giving VMware Workspace ONE a score of eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
PrasadMane - PeerSpot reviewer
System Advisor IT at CRIF High Mark
User-friendly interface, stable, and easy to configure
  • "The performance is good, and it is easy to configure."
  • "I would like to see improvements made to both the support, and the pricing."

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware Workspace ONE for desktop virtualization.

What is most valuable?

When compared to competitors, VMware Workspace ONE is quite good.

As we are driving this business for the credit bureau, all of the benefits and features are available, as well as a few regulatory terms from the RBA. We have to abide by the rules and the regulatory terms. The MDM solution satisfies all of the requirements.

The performance is good, and it is easy to configure.

The user interface is very friendly.

What needs improvement?

Our central authentication mechanism is not integrated with this solution, which we deployed three years ago. So far, our goal is to integrate it with our two directory servers, but we've run into a few challenges. We are not able to connect with support to help us resolve this integration issue.

I would like to see improvements made to both the support, and the pricing.

We have been using VMware Workspace ONE for three years.

VMware Workspace ONE is a stable solution.

This system may be scaled up with further licensing, which is beneficial to the company.

It has scalable capabilities.

In our organization, I believe we have 100 users.

Technical support is an area that needs improvement.

I'm having difficulties with VMware support, with AirWatch, Workspace ONE. We would like to integrate it with our central authentication system, but there are some issues. We have been trying to connect with the technical support team to help us resolve this issue.

We are using AirWatch, which is an MDM solution, and we are also using SaltStack, for automation.

VMware recently acquired SaltStack. According to my knowledge, the merger with SaltStack occurred this year.

After you've deployed the solution for your company, there are only a few things left to accomplish, such as adding or configuring new users. If someone leaves the organization, you have to remove them, which does not require further administrative effort.

I believe it takes around 10 to 15 minutes to configure a new user.

A technical team of only two to three people is sufficient, especially considering they have 24/7 assistance.

The installation can easily be done yourself, it's easy.

Anyone can follow the instructions or watch the video and do it themselves.

It's a costly solution.

While it is not inexpensive in terms of price, it is definitely worth it. In terms of pricing and the functionality we get with the MDM, I believe it is more than adequate.

We have a three-year subscription.

What other advice do I have?

With the many solutions available such as IBM MaaS360 and Microsoft Intune, you have to consider the business requirements, the software you will be using, and the strength of the security it provides.

This solution is very secure, and I would definitely recommend it to others.

I would rate VMware Workspace ONE a nine out of ten because the support is lacking.

VMware Workspace ONE
November 2022
653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MohamedSalah6 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Engineer at Fawry Microfinance
Secure and integrates well but needs better customization
  • "We find it to be reliable."
  • "We'd like the customization to be better."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using the solution to manage all cabinets in our company. It's essential for our business.

How has it helped my organization?

We chose this solution as it's more in line with the business solution security of devices in our company. We moved devices to this solution to experiment with it to see if it's the best possible solution in terms of security. So far, it's been good.

What is most valuable?

It's a more secure solution to manage all tablets or mobile devices. It helps us stay organized and integrates well with mobile devices and tablets.

It's stable and reliable.

The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

We'd like the customization to be better.

It would be ideal if the interface was better to make it easier to manage all devices.

We'd always like more features and functionality in the future as the solution continues to progress.

I've used the solution for one year.

The solution was stable. There were no bugs or glitches and it didn't crash or freeze. We find it to be reliable.

We started by managing 200 tablets. We'll be expanding usage in the coming months. We'll likely reach a maximum of 400 tablets.

We have 150 people on the solution currently.

I get support from a third party, not directly from the product. The support I get is in my country, in Egypt, and that's better as it's local.

I used Microsoft Intune previously, and it was difficult for me. I switched as this solution was simpler.

The initial setup was not complicated. There may be a bit of difficulty in connecting all the components together. However, I have a year of experience, so, for me, it wasn't hard. It gets easier with time. Likely in five more years, it will be even simpler to deploy. I had some additional documentation as well that helped.

The deployment itself took about one month. That is a typical timeframe.

Our strategy was to mainly manage all tablets and mobile devices from a single platform. Our main strategy was to connect all devices and be able to track them in case they were stolen or they were losing data. With this solution, we are able to set up and manage everything centrally.

We handled the initial setup in-house. There was no outside assistance.

We have a three-year contract that we pay on a yearly basis. The pricing is on the website. For big users, it's around $500.

We looked at a variety of different products, including some from Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and reseller.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Jijo_Joseph - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Partner at Digitaiken
Streamlines employee management and supports many different operating systems
  • "The feature with the highest rating for me is its employee management. I can also praise how versatile it is in terms of operating systems. It has good support for multiple operating systems and can easily manage them all. Not just that, but it can also support any kind of tool that can be run on all these operating systems."
  • "From an identity perspective, there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to integration with other solutions. I would say it needs more capabilities in terms of direct integrations, including cloud identity solution integrations."

What is our primary use case?

I have used VMware Workspace ONE to manage and support the applications and operating systems (including Windows) used by staff in environments with all different kinds of requirements.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

From an identity perspective, there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to integration with other solutions. I would say it needs more capabilities in terms of direct integrations, including cloud identity solution integrations.

Other areas of improvement are the synchronization functionality, as well as group management. I believe these areas could do with some polish. But beyond that, I wouldn't say anything else needs to be revamped.

I have been using VMware Workspace ONE for almost three years now.

It's a stable product, but regarding their capability in terms of pushing out patches and all that, they do seem to hit a ceiling sometimes. They need to increase their capability a little more in this area.

For example, it lags sometimes when sharing content, pushing updates, and so on. These areas have been a bit inconsistent when we had the initial setup and it's improved slightly since then, but it's not quite there yet.

I have found that it's always been scalable enough for our purposes.

The customer service is very good. They have supported everything from their out-of-the-box solution and even more than that. They extended their support to other regions when we started using them. And for some of the areas that they already serve, they came out on-site to help support us.

It's pretty straightforward. For the initial setup, it took around four days because we had requirements that prevented us from using it immediately as an out-of-the-box solution. That is, our setup had to adhere to certain scenarios which took some time to configure properly. To deploy the entire customized solution, I'd say it took around two to three weeks in total.

We implemented a customized solution that was based around specific scenarios and we were able to get their support team out on-site to help us.

If you have a host of custom requirements (including licensing), make sure to set aside enough time for the initial setup because it can take up to a few weeks depending on how complex your environment is.

What other advice do I have?

I can surely recommend VMware Workspace ONE to others.

I would rate VMware Workspace ONE a nine out of ten.

IT Systems & Network Administrator at a transportation company with 201-500 employees
Quick to deploy, easy to set up, and offers good remote device management
  • "The initial setup is easy and the deployment doesn't take too long."
  • "The pricing could always be better."

What is our primary use case?

The product is a DM solution - a device management solution. It's for our users, for moving devices and laptops.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been manually provisioning everything for end-users, however, with this tool, now we have more control over the items on the end-user side and we can regularly update them from one place. It makes everything much easier.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the ability to remotely manage the devices. That's what it is meant to do. We can push applications to mobile devices from the portal.

Overall, we've been very happy with VMware.

The initial setup is easy and the deployment doesn't take too long.

What needs improvement?

I don't see any such areas where we are lacking. I was just doing the evaluation of other products to see if they have something else. However, this isn't missing anything, even when you look at the competition.

The pricing could always be better. It would be nicer if they were cheaper and more competitive.

We've been using the solution over the last 12 months at least. I've been using the solution for the last three years.

The stability of the solution has always been very good. there are no bugs or glitches It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution scales quite well. That's not a problem at all. If a company would like to scale the solution it can do so.

Currently, we have about 250 users on the solution.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the initial setup process.

The deployment took a few days to roll out. We did the implementation about two years ago now, and therefore it's hard to recall exactly what our deployment strategy was at that time.

We had a systems integrator assist us with the initial deployment. We did not completely handle everything in-house by ourselves.

The experience was good. They were able to understand what we need and they deployed it very smoothly.

We have a multi-year contract, however, we'd like the costs to be lowered if possible. Next year we plan to revisit everything and do a price evaluation.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and end-users. We've worked with resellers in the past.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a nine. Its capabilities are good and we've been quite happy with it overall.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Product Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Allows you to manage multiple types of devices, and you can easily take control of a device without letting any information get leaked
  • "Remote management is most valuable. It allows you to manage multiple types of devices. It is not just limited to laptops or desktops. You can also manage IoT devices. If a device is lost or stolen, you can easily take control of the device without letting any information get leaked."
  • "Feature-wise, it is fine, but its pricing could be better, given that Microsoft is on a bundling spree. AirWatch would benefit from reducing the license pricing per user per month."

What is our primary use case?

We use AirWatch for mobility management. We leverage all the basic functionalities this solution provides, such as MDM, MAM, MCM, MBM, and MIM.

Our company provides managed services to customers. We are a partner and managed services provider, and we help with the installation, implementation, and configuration of VMware solutions.

We are working with its latest version. In terms of deployment, it is a mix. Some of our customers opt for the on-prem model, and some of our customers want a site-based model.

What is most valuable?

Remote management is most valuable. It allows you to manage multiple types of devices. It is not just limited to laptops or desktops. You can also manage IoT devices. If a device is lost or stolen, you can easily take control of the device without letting any information get leaked.

What needs improvement?

Feature-wise, it is fine, but its pricing could be better, given that Microsoft is on a bundling spree. AirWatch would benefit from reducing the license pricing per user per month.

It has been a couple of years.

It is very reliable.

It is easy to scale. We deal with all kinds of companies, but it is mainly used for large companies.

I don't get involved with the installation or administration of VMware. There is a different team that looks into all these things. They might have been in touch with VMware's technical team. I am in touch with their alliance team.

For mobility management, we deal with VMware AirWatch and Microsoft Intune. Both products are more or less the same. Intune is just a basic solution, and feature-wise, AirWatch is better. Security-wise, AirWatch is better, but Intune is catching up. The benefit of Intune over AirWatch is the bundling and the pricing.

I don't handle the technical bit. I am a product manager, and I'm not the one who installs this product.

AirWatch would benefit from reducing the license pricing per user per month. Microsoft bundles everything, and then that bundling makes the product free for the customers.

What other advice do I have?

It completely depends on the use case and what a company is looking for. For example, if they are an SMB and already have Microsoft products, then I would suggest they upgrade the licenses so that they get Intune or device management complimentary. For a big organization, we need to do some feasibility study to understand the customer requirements, and based on that, we can suggest a product.

AirWatch has been a leader, and it has always been in the top category. I would rate it a solid nine out of 10.

Project Manager at Lithuanian Airports
Good virtualization, fair pricing, and responsive support
  • "I found the initial setup to be easy."
  • "We'd like to see a better connection to Microsoft Azure and a better connection with Check Point."

What is our primary use case?

We have some VMware products, and the company uses Workspace ONE since we use the virtualization product, VMware. This is just a virtualization product.

In work before, we have used the VMware direct connection.

What is most valuable?

In VMware, its virtualization is good.

I found the initial setup to be easy.

We can scale the solution if we need to.

The pricing is good.

Support is helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

We have some problems with Workspace ONE. We have used the politic MDM for mobile, and it was probably one month before one account just removed it. It's likely an error from Samsung since this device gets updates from Samsung. Once an update happened, they remove this from the MDM platform from Workspace ONE. However, I could not track down the reason this happened.

It's not completely stable.

While we have some wrappers in the product, I don't usually find what I want.

The two-factor identification process needs to be easier.

I've been using the solution for four months.

The solution isn't too stable. We've had some errors with the device. I'd rate the stability ya three out of five in terms of stability.

The solution can scale.

We have around 250 people using it currently. About ten people use the admin panel.

We've used technical support in the past since we have had problems along the way. Typically, issues can be resolved within a week. That's not too long to wait.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We're still using VMware Workspace ONE and now starting to use Microsoft Intune.

We are just now starting to use Microsoft Intune, and it's much better than Workspace ONE. It's easy to use for updates. And for control, it's also simpler since we have Office 365 and we have an all-in-one approach with Intune and Azure Active Directory. InTune is just better in a Microsoft environment.

It's not very difficult. The platform is pretty easy. I did find, however, that the two-factor authentication took some time. I'd rate the overall process a three out of five in terms of ease of setup.

It is not an expensive solution. The pricing is good. It's also less expensive than InTune. I'd rate their pricing five out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and end-user.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I've been pretty happy with its capabilities.

Lokesh Mansharamani - PeerSpot reviewer
MDM Architect at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Useful gateway tunnel, support multiple devices, and quick support
  • "The most valuable feature of VMware Workspace ONE is the support for multiple devices. Not only iOS, and Android, but all kinds of platforms, including VR device management. Additionally, it has a tunneling feature, which no other solution provides. Other solutions have to integrate with other tools to have this functionality, whereas VMware Workspace ONE has its own application gateway tunnel."
  • "VMware Workspace ONE can improve in virtual reality. Customers are now looking toward virtual reality devices. Though it supports virtual reality, it's treated as an Android device. Customers want to deal with VR devices, they want a specific VR tool. Not an Android device VR tool."

What is our primary use case?

VMware Workspace ONE can be deployed in the cloud and on-premise.

The main use case for VMware Workspace ONE is for customers who are looking for a single tool for all their device management needs and have had limitations with respect to Mac specifically and virtual reality devices with other solutions such as Intune. They can move to VMware Workspace ONE, where they can have all kinds of support.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of VMware Workspace ONE is the support for multiple devices. Not only iOS, and Android, but all kinds of platforms, including VR device management. Additionally, it has a tunneling feature, which no other solution provides. Other solutions have to integrate with other tools to have this functionality, whereas VMware Workspace ONE has its own application gateway tunnel.

What needs improvement?

VMware Workspace ONE can improve in virtual reality. Customers are now looking toward virtual reality devices. Though it supports virtual reality, it's treated as an Android device. Customers want to deal with VR devices, they want a specific VR tool. Not an Android device VR tool.

I have been using VMware Workspace ONE for approximately eight years.

VMware Workspace ONE is stable.

The scalability of VMware Workspace ONE is good.

The support of VMware Workspace ONE is good. When we opened a ticket we had a quick response.

The deployment of VMware Workspace ONE is easy. The time it takes for the deployment depends on the environment totally. If it is only a small environment, with no integration, with the cloud instance, and no set of a separate instance or sub-component is required, it can be set up in approximately a week.

In the use case scenarios, for example, where there is an on-premise instance where there are unified access gateway components required, then it takes a little longer because the firewall ports and setting up the infrastructure will take some time.

The solution can be costly when the customer is dealing with multiple platforms. If a customer is only dealing with iOS, Windows, and Android then Intune is the better choice because there are free licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest to others if they have multiple device platforms, especially in Apple and the VR device area. VMware Workspace ONE is the best tool where they can receive not only the VR and Mac support but in order to manage the Microsoft Windows devices as well, they will have good functionality.

I rate VMware Workspace ONE an eight out of ten.

Download our free VMware Workspace ONE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022