We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
IT Systems & Network Administrator at a transportation company with 201-500 employees
Quick to deploy, easy to set up, and offers good remote device management
  • "The initial setup is easy and the deployment doesn't take too long."
  • "The pricing could always be better."

What is our primary use case?

The product is a DM solution - a device management solution. It's for our users, for moving devices and laptops.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been manually provisioning everything for end-users, however, with this tool, now we have more control over the items on the end-user side and we can regularly update them from one place. It makes everything much easier.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the ability to remotely manage the devices. That's what it is meant to do. We can push applications to mobile devices from the portal.

Overall, we've been very happy with VMware.

The initial setup is easy and the deployment doesn't take too long.

What needs improvement?

I don't see any such areas where we are lacking. I was just doing the evaluation of other products to see if they have something else. However, this isn't missing anything, even when you look at the competition.

The pricing could always be better. It would be nicer if they were cheaper and more competitive.

We've been using the solution over the last 12 months at least. I've been using the solution for the last three years.

The stability of the solution has always been very good. there are no bugs or glitches It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution scales quite well. That's not a problem at all. If a company would like to scale the solution it can do so.

Currently, we have about 250 users on the solution.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the initial setup process.

The deployment took a few days to roll out. We did the implementation about two years ago now, and therefore it's hard to recall exactly what our deployment strategy was at that time.

We had a systems integrator assist us with the initial deployment. We did not completely handle everything in-house by ourselves.

The experience was good. They were able to understand what we need and they deployed it very smoothly.

We have a multi-year contract, however, we'd like the costs to be lowered if possible. Next year we plan to revisit everything and do a price evaluation.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and end-users. We've worked with resellers in the past.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a nine. Its capabilities are good and we've been quite happy with it overall.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Product Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Allows you to manage multiple types of devices, and you can easily take control of a device without letting any information get leaked
  • "Remote management is most valuable. It allows you to manage multiple types of devices. It is not just limited to laptops or desktops. You can also manage IoT devices. If a device is lost or stolen, you can easily take control of the device without letting any information get leaked."
  • "Feature-wise, it is fine, but its pricing could be better, given that Microsoft is on a bundling spree. AirWatch would benefit from reducing the license pricing per user per month."

What is our primary use case?

We use AirWatch for mobility management. We leverage all the basic functionalities this solution provides, such as MDM, MAM, MCM, MBM, and MIM.

Our company provides managed services to customers. We are a partner and managed services provider, and we help with the installation, implementation, and configuration of VMware solutions.

We are working with its latest version. In terms of deployment, it is a mix. Some of our customers opt for the on-prem model, and some of our customers want a site-based model.

What is most valuable?

Remote management is most valuable. It allows you to manage multiple types of devices. It is not just limited to laptops or desktops. You can also manage IoT devices. If a device is lost or stolen, you can easily take control of the device without letting any information get leaked.

What needs improvement?

Feature-wise, it is fine, but its pricing could be better, given that Microsoft is on a bundling spree. AirWatch would benefit from reducing the license pricing per user per month.

It has been a couple of years.

It is very reliable.

It is easy to scale. We deal with all kinds of companies, but it is mainly used for large companies.

I don't get involved with the installation or administration of VMware. There is a different team that looks into all these things. They might have been in touch with VMware's technical team. I am in touch with their alliance team.

For mobility management, we deal with VMware AirWatch and Microsoft Intune. Both products are more or less the same. Intune is just a basic solution, and feature-wise, AirWatch is better. Security-wise, AirWatch is better, but Intune is catching up. The benefit of Intune over AirWatch is the bundling and the pricing.

I don't handle the technical bit. I am a product manager, and I'm not the one who installs this product.

AirWatch would benefit from reducing the license pricing per user per month. Microsoft bundles everything, and then that bundling makes the product free for the customers.

What other advice do I have?

It completely depends on the use case and what a company is looking for. For example, if they are an SMB and already have Microsoft products, then I would suggest they upgrade the licenses so that they get Intune or device management complimentary. For a big organization, we need to do some feasibility study to understand the customer requirements, and based on that, we can suggest a product.

AirWatch has been a leader, and it has always been in the top category. I would rate it a solid nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about VMware Workspace ONE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GM COE at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A very good product that is easy to deploy, manage, and maintain
  • "Cloud-based VMware Workspace ONE is very good. It is easy to deploy and manage. Maintenance is also quite simple."
  • "Pricing is the only challenge right now. The licensing fee should be simplified a little bit. They have kept too many products as add ons. These need to be bundled with the low-cost, standard version. This will help customers in adopting this technology at a faster pace."

What is most valuable?

Cloud-based VMware Workspace ONE is very good. It is easy to deploy and manage. Maintenance is also quite simple.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is the only challenge right now. The licensing fee should be simplified a little bit. They have kept too many products as add-ons. These need to be bundled with the low-cost, standard version. This will help customers in adopting this technology at a faster pace.

We have been dealing with VMware Workspace ONE for almost four years.

A customer faced one global downtime in India. Apart from that, I have not seen any downtime. It's pretty stable.

Scalability is absolutely fine. We have experience with scaling 5,000 users so far.

In terms of technical support, we are almost L1, L2, and L3 because VMware offloads the complete professional or PSO service to us. We deployed a complete VMware PSO for a system in India. We don't generally see many challenges. There are a few challenges for which we take help from the support team, and we find them very good.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, especially the cloud setup is very simplified.

Deployment duration depends on the customer success criteria or the scope of work. We have handled 3,000 and 5,000 users deployments. It took one and a half months to role out 1,500 users. Our largest scope was around 5,000 users, which took almost two months to complete.

It depends on the number of users because you need Windows 10 management, mobile management, and everything you want to see. If it is a greenfield deployment, then it's very straightforward. If it is not a straightforward greenfield deployment, integration also takes some time. Everything is a working field where we need to manage the timeline, production, clean window, and communication with customers and users, which takes some time.

There is a separate cost for technical support and extra premium features. The pricing should be simplified.

What other advice do I have?

We are the first master service in India. We are a service partner, and we are deploying this solution for our customers. A few deployments are on-premises, and a few are on the cloud. Cloud deployment is simple, but from the security point of view, few banks want to deploy it on-premises.

I absolutely recommend VMware Workspace ONE. It's a very good product. They should keep improving the pricing and innovation of the product. Otherwise, the customer will not be convinced about the cost. That's the only problem. India is very cost-sensitive. Everyone wants everything free in India, which is a big problem.

I would rate VMware Workspace ONE a ten out of ten.

GM COE at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
It's more mature than competitors and better integrated as a whole solution
  • "Workspace ONE adds a lot of value compared to Microsoft because Microsoft is a late entry into the market, and they're still developing their product from an end-user perspective. Workspace ONE has a slight edge because of AirWatch. VMware has developed its product over a longer period of time, so they have better integrations as a whole solution."
  • "Windows 10 management is there, but VMware only recently developed that part, and it's not fully mature. Patch management and other integrations are there as well as the application-pushing part, command line, mandatory commands, etc. Some out-of-the-box solutions should be available to better integrate a broader range of applications and handle application push. That's the roadmap we should look at."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy Workspace ONE for our customers for Windows, Mac, and modern desktop Windows 10 management. It also provides MDM capability and application push for their mobile devices. That's the use case we are focusing on — application push and patch management. That's the modern management we are doing right now.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Windows 10 management is there, but VMware only recently developed that part, and it's not fully mature. Patch management and other integrations are there as well as the application-pushing part, command line, mandatory commands, etc. Some out-of-the-box solutions should be available to better integrate a broader range of applications and handle application push. That's the roadmap we should look at.

We have been using VMware Workspace ONE for ourselves as well as for our customers for nearly five years.

WorkspaceONE's stability is excellent. I haven't seen any issues in the last four years— no major disasters.

We are managing around 30,000 endpoints and devices, so it's a highly scalable solution. We're recommending our customers renew the solution. We might grow 5 to 10 percent in the next year.

VMware tech support is professional. There are delays sometimes, but it's good overall.

A long time ago, I was using Blackberry.

Workspace ONE is relatively easy to install. A few things are complicated from a high availability perspective. Otherwise, it's straightforward. Total deployment took one week. One person can deploy and manage the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Workspace ONE nine out of 10. Users are working from home all over the world, so companies need to consider things from a security perspective and the segregation of personal use from office work.

Senior Group Manager - IT Infrastruktur at a transportation company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good security policies, and includes single sign-on capabilities with an identity provider
  • "The most valuable feature is the security policies."
  • "The SaaS environment is not very responsive at times, so the performance can be improved in that regard."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for mobile device management. At the moment, we are focused on managing iPhones.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the security policies.

Part of the SaaS environment is the VMware identity provider, which we use to provide single sign-on for mobile phones and apps.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be easier to do.

This is a very stable product. We haven't had any problems with it, including after any updates that were made.

The scalability is very nice. As a cloud-based solution, there is no problem with this. We have approximately 2,600 users and we plan to increase our usage in the future.

The technical support from VMware is normally perfect, although sometimes, it is not fast enough. Typically, we receive answers in adequate time so overall, it is okay.

We started with VMware Workspace ONE and did not use another product beforehand.

The initial setup is not very easy.

For the deployment, two people were required. Only one person is needed to maintain it.

We needed a partner to assist us with deployment.

Our intention was to improve the security of our mobile devices. ROI is not really quantifiable.

There is a licensing fee for the users, and we pay a low amount for our support costs. We hire a consultancy for support but it is not very expensive.

We evaluated Microsoft Intune and a third product. Ultimately, we decided to implement VMware Workspace ONE.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to look deeply at the technical details, right at the beginning. Doing so is necessary and makes it easier to start the project, as well as for integration.

Gives us more control over what is necessary on the end-user side
  • "The most valuable feature of the solution is that it enables us to remotely manage the devices, which is its purpose, and to push applications to the mobile devices from the portal."

What is our primary use case?

We make use of DM Solutions and do so strictly for users, moving devices and laptops.

How has it helped my organization?

As we have been manually provisioning everything for end-users, the solution gives us more control over what is necessary on the end-user side and allows us to regularly provide them with updates from a single place.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution is that it enables us to remotely manage the devices, which is its purpose, and to push applications to the mobile devices from the portal.

What needs improvement?

No areas for room for improvement come to mind. The VM is pretty good and I can't think of any areas that are lacking. I was just comparing VMware Workspace ONE to other solutions and I can say we are pretty happy with it for the moment. For the time being, I cannot think of any features that should be improved.

I have been using VMware Workspace ONE for three years.

The solution is very stable.

There are no issues with scalability. We can do so at any time.

The initial setup was okay. It's straightforward.

As it has been two years, I cannot recall the implementation strategy. I do recall that it was straightforward and took us a couple of days.

We made use of a managed service provider, utilizing a system integrator who worked with us. It was helpful and we had a good experience. Our needs were understood and the deployment went very smoothly.

For the moment, we have a multi-year contract, meaning that we cannot go with a different solution at this time even if the price should prove more favorable. Only next year can we evaluate the price.

What other advice do I have?

There are 250 users in our organization who make use of the solution.

I rate VMware Workspace ONE as a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    Senior IT Architect - Mobility Services at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
    Adaptive, secure, and reliable
    • "The most valuable features of VMware Workspace ONE are security and having support for all the latest features that are coming out from Apple. They're pretty fast at adopting new features. This is one of the most vital aspects of mobile device management systems."
    • "VMware Workspace ONE platform offers support for Mac Books and we see that there is some room for improvement in that area versus all the products out there."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for end-user devices, such as emails and internally developed applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of VMware Workspace ONE are security and having support for all the latest features that are coming out from Apple. They're pretty fast at adopting new features. This is one of the most vital aspects of mobile device management systems.

What needs improvement?

VMware Workspace ONE platform offers support for Mac Books and we see that there is some room for improvement in that area versus all the products out there.

I have been using VMware Workspace ONE for approximately seven years.

VMware Workspace ONE is stable.

The solution is scalable.

Sometimes the first line support is a bit troublesome. It's not until you talk to a real engineer do you receive the answers to the issues you might be faced with. We had the same issue with Microsoft support.

The price of VMware Workspace ONE is reasonable.

I have evaluated Microsoft Cloud and Office 365.

What other advice do I have?

Right now we don't see there's an MDM solution out there that's better than VMware Workspace ONE. It makes sense that companies are leaning more and more towards the Microsoft Cloud and Office 365, and they do offer Intune as well. That makes sense in that context, but if you look at the benefits of the MDM solutions versus each other, from what we've done in our research and analysis, VMware is still the best tool on the market.

We have a couple of issues that we have seen every now and then, but it's always the same issues and it's not something that's related to VMware. It's typically from our own underlying infrastructure components that are not really reliable.

I rate VMware Workspace ONE a nine out of ten.

IT Professional at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
    A stable product and the interface for SCAP is good
    • "The most valuable feature is the interface with SCAP, which is the Security Content Automation Protocol."
    • "The reverse proxy is not intuitive and it takes time to get it right, so this is something that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Workspace ONE with our shared devices.

What needs improvement?

The cost of this product is a little high and should be reduced.

There are a lot of interfaces and components, which makes the setup a little bit complex.

If you have a lot of shared devices and want to have a mass deployment, then it is time-consuming to do. They have a feature where you can send out a code for enrollment under VMware, to obtain a user ID, but even with that, it has to be done one by one. You have to go inside and dig out the code, one at a time, and record it. It would be helpful if it generated a report so that you could use it to talk with the team. As it is now, it is not difficult but it could have been done better.

We have been using VMware Workstation ONE for a few months.

This product is quite stable.

I presume that it is scalable.

We have used and are still using other similar solutions.

The initial setup for us was simplified because we started with implementing a PoC. There are too many interfaces involved, which makes it complex at the start of the deployment.

The cost is a little bit high.

What other advice do I have?

As we have just begun using this product, we are still comparing some of the features that it has.

Download our free VMware Workspace ONE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.