IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Head Of Information Security at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good policy-driven control and visibility, straightforward to set up, and the support is helpful
  • "The most valuable feature is policy-driven control of the devices."
  • "When it comes to deployment and maintaining security, there should be an integrated console where you have a singular view of all of the products from the same OEM."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product for BYOD and mobility management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is policy-driven control of the devices.

The visibility of these devices is very good.

It integrated well with my existing data classification tool.

What needs improvement?

VMware should develop an integrated platform for their security products to give a singular integrated and holistic view of the devices covered by different security products whether Workspace One or Carbon Black. Should also look at having a common end point agent to be deployed as an added advantage to customers who own both the products Workspace One as well as the recently acquired EDR - Carbon Black.

Also, VMware should have a special support package for on premise setups so that the same value is realised by customers similar to cloud based deployment.

We have been using this product for about one year.

VMware Workspace ONE
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about VMware Workspace ONE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have not had problems with stability beyond the sorts of issues that you have with new products. Normally, it requires a bit of help from the support team.

Easy scalable.

The technical support from VMware is pretty good. I have not seen any tickets open for more than four days.

No. Workspace One is our first solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. For us, it was more about how we were deploying it and what resources were needed. Our deployment took place over a period of three months.

I would suggest accessing support from VMware when you begin the implementation.

We have a team that is a combination of in-house and outsourced people. Importantly, once this product is deployed and working well, you don't require much maintenance. One or two people for administration is sufficient.

Too soon to comment but would be interesting to see the invested cost break even next year.

Decent pricing. Device based licensing is the best approach.

When we were evaluating enterprise mobility management solutions, it was between VMware, Blackberry, Maas360, MobileIron.

What other advice do I have?

Workspace One is a product that I strongly recommend. They are the leader in the category and it's a wonderful product. My advice for anybody who is implementing it is to focus on what they need to achieve in the organization and build a strategy for that. This is what the relationship with the product should be based on.

My approach was to integrate my existing solution with the new one that was under procurement, and it was a good fit that met my requirements. I would suggest this strategy for any new product that is being on-boarded.

For somebody using the cloud version, with reduced maintenance, I think that this would be a ten out of ten product. In my case, however, as my team is not the expert in maintaining this product and are in learning phase, I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

PrasadMane - PeerSpot reviewer
System Advisor IT at CRIF High Mark
User-friendly interface, stable, and easy to configure
  • "The performance is good, and it is easy to configure."
  • "I would like to see improvements made to both the support, and the pricing."

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware Workspace ONE for desktop virtualization.

What is most valuable?

When compared to competitors, VMware Workspace ONE is quite good.

As we are driving this business for the credit bureau, all of the benefits and features are available, as well as a few regulatory terms from the RBA. We have to abide by the rules and the regulatory terms. The MDM solution satisfies all of the requirements.

The performance is good, and it is easy to configure.

The user interface is very friendly.

What needs improvement?

Our central authentication mechanism is not integrated with this solution, which we deployed three years ago. So far, our goal is to integrate it with our two directory servers, but we've run into a few challenges. We are not able to connect with support to help us resolve this integration issue.

I would like to see improvements made to both the support, and the pricing.

We have been using VMware Workspace ONE for three years.

VMware Workspace ONE is a stable solution.

This system may be scaled up with further licensing, which is beneficial to the company.

It has scalable capabilities.

In our organization, I believe we have 100 users.

Technical support is an area that needs improvement.

I'm having difficulties with VMware support, with AirWatch, Workspace ONE. We would like to integrate it with our central authentication system, but there are some issues. We have been trying to connect with the technical support team to help us resolve this issue.

We are using AirWatch, which is an MDM solution, and we are also using SaltStack, for automation.

VMware recently acquired SaltStack. According to my knowledge, the merger with SaltStack occurred this year.

After you've deployed the solution for your company, there are only a few things left to accomplish, such as adding or configuring new users. If someone leaves the organization, you have to remove them, which does not require further administrative effort.

I believe it takes around 10 to 15 minutes to configure a new user.

A technical team of only two to three people is sufficient, especially considering they have 24/7 assistance.

The installation can easily be done yourself, it's easy.

Anyone can follow the instructions or watch the video and do it themselves.

It's a costly solution.

While it is not inexpensive in terms of price, it is definitely worth it. In terms of pricing and the functionality we get with the MDM, I believe it is more than adequate.

We have a three-year subscription.

What other advice do I have?

With the many solutions available such as IBM MaaS360 and Microsoft Intune, you have to consider the business requirements, the software you will be using, and the strength of the security it provides.

This solution is very secure, and I would definitely recommend it to others.

I would rate VMware Workspace ONE a nine out of ten because the support is lacking.

VMware Workspace ONE
July 2022
622,645 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MohamedSalah6 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Engineer at Fawry Microfinance
Secure and integrates well but needs better customization
  • "We find it to be reliable."
  • "We'd like the customization to be better."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using the solution to manage all cabinets in our company. It's essential for our business.

How has it helped my organization?

We chose this solution as it's more in line with the business solution security of devices in our company. We moved devices to this solution to experiment with it to see if it's the best possible solution in terms of security. So far, it's been good.

What is most valuable?

It's a more secure solution to manage all tablets or mobile devices. It helps us stay organized and integrates well with mobile devices and tablets.

It's stable and reliable.

The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

We'd like the customization to be better.

It would be ideal if the interface was better to make it easier to manage all devices.

We'd always like more features and functionality in the future as the solution continues to progress.

I've used the solution for one year.

The solution was stable. There were no bugs or glitches and it didn't crash or freeze. We find it to be reliable.

We started by managing 200 tablets. We'll be expanding usage in the coming months. We'll likely reach a maximum of 400 tablets.

We have 150 people on the solution currently.

I get support from a third party, not directly from the product. The support I get is in my country, in Egypt, and that's better as it's local.

I used Microsoft Intune previously, and it was difficult for me. I switched as this solution was simpler.

The initial setup was not complicated. There may be a bit of difficulty in connecting all the components together. However, I have a year of experience, so, for me, it wasn't hard. It gets easier with time. Likely in five more years, it will be even simpler to deploy. I had some additional documentation as well that helped.

The deployment itself took about one month. That is a typical timeframe.

Our strategy was to mainly manage all tablets and mobile devices from a single platform. Our main strategy was to connect all devices and be able to track them in case they were stolen or they were losing data. With this solution, we are able to set up and manage everything centrally.

We handled the initial setup in-house. There was no outside assistance.

We have a three-year contract that we pay on a yearly basis. The pricing is on the website. For big users, it's around $500.

We looked at a variety of different products, including some from Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and reseller.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Jijo_Joseph - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Partner at Digitaiken
Streamlines employee management and supports many different operating systems
  • "The feature with the highest rating for me is its employee management. I can also praise how versatile it is in terms of operating systems. It has good support for multiple operating systems and can easily manage them all. Not just that, but it can also support any kind of tool that can be run on all these operating systems."
  • "From an identity perspective, there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to integration with other solutions. I would say it needs more capabilities in terms of direct integrations, including cloud identity solution integrations."

What is our primary use case?

I have used VMware Workspace ONE to manage and support the applications and operating systems (including Windows) used by staff in environments with all different kinds of requirements.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

From an identity perspective, there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to integration with other solutions. I would say it needs more capabilities in terms of direct integrations, including cloud identity solution integrations.

Other areas of improvement are the synchronization functionality, as well as group management. I believe these areas could do with some polish. But beyond that, I wouldn't say anything else needs to be revamped.

I have been using VMware Workspace ONE for almost three years now.

It's a stable product, but regarding their capability in terms of pushing out patches and all that, they do seem to hit a ceiling sometimes. They need to increase their capability a little more in this area.

For example, it lags sometimes when sharing content, pushing updates, and so on. These areas have been a bit inconsistent when we had the initial setup and it's improved slightly since then, but it's not quite there yet.

I have found that it's always been scalable enough for our purposes.

The customer service is very good. They have supported everything from their out-of-the-box solution and even more than that. They extended their support to other regions when we started using them. And for some of the areas that they already serve, they came out on-site to help support us.

It's pretty straightforward. For the initial setup, it took around four days because we had requirements that prevented us from using it immediately as an out-of-the-box solution. That is, our setup had to adhere to certain scenarios which took some time to configure properly. To deploy the entire customized solution, I'd say it took around two to three weeks in total.

We implemented a customized solution that was based around specific scenarios and we were able to get their support team out on-site to help us.

If you have a host of custom requirements (including licensing), make sure to set aside enough time for the initial setup because it can take up to a few weeks depending on how complex your environment is.

What other advice do I have?

I can surely recommend VMware Workspace ONE to others.

I would rate VMware Workspace ONE a nine out of ten.

IT Systems & Network Administrator at a transportation company with 201-500 employees
Quick to deploy, easy to set up, and offers good remote device management
  • "The initial setup is easy and the deployment doesn't take too long."
  • "The pricing could always be better."

What is our primary use case?

The product is a DM solution - a device management solution. It's for our users, for moving devices and laptops.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been manually provisioning everything for end-users, however, with this tool, now we have more control over the items on the end-user side and we can regularly update them from one place. It makes everything much easier.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the ability to remotely manage the devices. That's what it is meant to do. We can push applications to mobile devices from the portal.

Overall, we've been very happy with VMware.

The initial setup is easy and the deployment doesn't take too long.

What needs improvement?

I don't see any such areas where we are lacking. I was just doing the evaluation of other products to see if they have something else. However, this isn't missing anything, even when you look at the competition.

The pricing could always be better. It would be nicer if they were cheaper and more competitive.

We've been using the solution over the last 12 months at least. I've been using the solution for the last three years.

The stability of the solution has always been very good. there are no bugs or glitches It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution scales quite well. That's not a problem at all. If a company would like to scale the solution it can do so.

Currently, we have about 250 users on the solution.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the initial setup process.

The deployment took a few days to roll out. We did the implementation about two years ago now, and therefore it's hard to recall exactly what our deployment strategy was at that time.

We had a systems integrator assist us with the initial deployment. We did not completely handle everything in-house by ourselves.

The experience was good. They were able to understand what we need and they deployed it very smoothly.

We have a multi-year contract, however, we'd like the costs to be lowered if possible. Next year we plan to revisit everything and do a price evaluation.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and end-users. We've worked with resellers in the past.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a nine. Its capabilities are good and we've been quite happy with it overall.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Product Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Allows you to manage multiple types of devices, and you can easily take control of a device without letting any information get leaked
  • "Remote management is most valuable. It allows you to manage multiple types of devices. It is not just limited to laptops or desktops. You can also manage IoT devices. If a device is lost or stolen, you can easily take control of the device without letting any information get leaked."
  • "Feature-wise, it is fine, but its pricing could be better, given that Microsoft is on a bundling spree. AirWatch would benefit from reducing the license pricing per user per month."

What is our primary use case?

We use AirWatch for mobility management. We leverage all the basic functionalities this solution provides, such as MDM, MAM, MCM, MBM, and MIM.

Our company provides managed services to customers. We are a partner and managed services provider, and we help with the installation, implementation, and configuration of VMware solutions.

We are working with its latest version. In terms of deployment, it is a mix. Some of our customers opt for the on-prem model, and some of our customers want a site-based model.

What is most valuable?

Remote management is most valuable. It allows you to manage multiple types of devices. It is not just limited to laptops or desktops. You can also manage IoT devices. If a device is lost or stolen, you can easily take control of the device without letting any information get leaked.

What needs improvement?

Feature-wise, it is fine, but its pricing could be better, given that Microsoft is on a bundling spree. AirWatch would benefit from reducing the license pricing per user per month.

It has been a couple of years.

It is very reliable.

It is easy to scale. We deal with all kinds of companies, but it is mainly used for large companies.

I don't get involved with the installation or administration of VMware. There is a different team that looks into all these things. They might have been in touch with VMware's technical team. I am in touch with their alliance team.

For mobility management, we deal with VMware AirWatch and Microsoft Intune. Both products are more or less the same. Intune is just a basic solution, and feature-wise, AirWatch is better. Security-wise, AirWatch is better, but Intune is catching up. The benefit of Intune over AirWatch is the bundling and the pricing.

I don't handle the technical bit. I am a product manager, and I'm not the one who installs this product.

AirWatch would benefit from reducing the license pricing per user per month. Microsoft bundles everything, and then that bundling makes the product free for the customers.

What other advice do I have?

It completely depends on the use case and what a company is looking for. For example, if they are an SMB and already have Microsoft products, then I would suggest they upgrade the licenses so that they get Intune or device management complimentary. For a big organization, we need to do some feasibility study to understand the customer requirements, and based on that, we can suggest a product.

AirWatch has been a leader, and it has always been in the top category. I would rate it a solid nine out of 10.

GM COE at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A very good product that is easy to deploy, manage, and maintain
  • "Cloud-based VMware Workspace ONE is very good. It is easy to deploy and manage. Maintenance is also quite simple."
  • "Pricing is the only challenge right now. The licensing fee should be simplified a little bit. They have kept too many products as add ons. These need to be bundled with the low-cost, standard version. This will help customers in adopting this technology at a faster pace."

What is most valuable?

Cloud-based VMware Workspace ONE is very good. It is easy to deploy and manage. Maintenance is also quite simple.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is the only challenge right now. The licensing fee should be simplified a little bit. They have kept too many products as add-ons. These need to be bundled with the low-cost, standard version. This will help customers in adopting this technology at a faster pace.

We have been dealing with VMware Workspace ONE for almost four years.

A customer faced one global downtime in India. Apart from that, I have not seen any downtime. It's pretty stable.

Scalability is absolutely fine. We have experience with scaling 5,000 users so far.

In terms of technical support, we are almost L1, L2, and L3 because VMware offloads the complete professional or PSO service to us. We deployed a complete VMware PSO for a system in India. We don't generally see many challenges. There are a few challenges for which we take help from the support team, and we find them very good.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, especially the cloud setup is very simplified.

Deployment duration depends on the customer success criteria or the scope of work. We have handled 3,000 and 5,000 users deployments. It took one and a half months to role out 1,500 users. Our largest scope was around 5,000 users, which took almost two months to complete.

It depends on the number of users because you need Windows 10 management, mobile management, and everything you want to see. If it is a greenfield deployment, then it's very straightforward. If it is not a straightforward greenfield deployment, integration also takes some time. Everything is a working field where we need to manage the timeline, production, clean window, and communication with customers and users, which takes some time.

There is a separate cost for technical support and extra premium features. The pricing should be simplified.

What other advice do I have?

We are the first master service in India. We are a service partner, and we are deploying this solution for our customers. A few deployments are on-premises, and a few are on the cloud. Cloud deployment is simple, but from the security point of view, few banks want to deploy it on-premises.

I absolutely recommend VMware Workspace ONE. It's a very good product. They should keep improving the pricing and innovation of the product. Otherwise, the customer will not be convinced about the cost. That's the only problem. India is very cost-sensitive. Everyone wants everything free in India, which is a big problem.

I would rate VMware Workspace ONE a ten out of ten.

Lokesh Mansharamani - PeerSpot reviewer
MDM Architect at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Useful gateway tunnel, support multiple devices, and quick support
  • "The most valuable feature of VMware Workspace ONE is the support for multiple devices. Not only iOS, and Android, but all kinds of platforms, including VR device management. Additionally, it has a tunneling feature, which no other solution provides. Other solutions have to integrate with other tools to have this functionality, whereas VMware Workspace ONE has its own application gateway tunnel."
  • "VMware Workspace ONE can improve in virtual reality. Customers are now looking toward virtual reality devices. Though it supports virtual reality, it's treated as an Android device. Customers want to deal with VR devices, they want a specific VR tool. Not an Android device VR tool."

What is our primary use case?

VMware Workspace ONE can be deployed in the cloud and on-premise.

The main use case for VMware Workspace ONE is for customers who are looking for a single tool for all their device management needs and have had limitations with respect to Mac specifically and virtual reality devices with other solutions such as Intune. They can move to VMware Workspace ONE, where they can have all kinds of support.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of VMware Workspace ONE is the support for multiple devices. Not only iOS, and Android, but all kinds of platforms, including VR device management. Additionally, it has a tunneling feature, which no other solution provides. Other solutions have to integrate with other tools to have this functionality, whereas VMware Workspace ONE has its own application gateway tunnel.

What needs improvement?

VMware Workspace ONE can improve in virtual reality. Customers are now looking toward virtual reality devices. Though it supports virtual reality, it's treated as an Android device. Customers want to deal with VR devices, they want a specific VR tool. Not an Android device VR tool.

I have been using VMware Workspace ONE for approximately eight years.

VMware Workspace ONE is stable.

The scalability of VMware Workspace ONE is good.

The support of VMware Workspace ONE is good. When we opened a ticket we had a quick response.

The deployment of VMware Workspace ONE is easy. The time it takes for the deployment depends on the environment totally. If it is only a small environment, with no integration, with the cloud instance, and no set of a separate instance or sub-component is required, it can be set up in approximately a week.

In the use case scenarios, for example, where there is an on-premise instance where there are unified access gateway components required, then it takes a little longer because the firewall ports and setting up the infrastructure will take some time.

The solution can be costly when the customer is dealing with multiple platforms. If a customer is only dealing with iOS, Windows, and Android then Intune is the better choice because there are free licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest to others if they have multiple device platforms, especially in Apple and the VR device area. VMware Workspace ONE is the best tool where they can receive not only the VR and Mac support but in order to manage the Microsoft Windows devices as well, they will have good functionality.

I rate VMware Workspace ONE an eight out of ten.

Download our free VMware Workspace ONE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022