We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Sergey Erin
Director of Business Development at lancloud
Provides granular restoration, has good replication features, and scales well
  • "The granular restoration that it provides for a business application is most valuable. For example, for Exchange, we can restore a single mailbox or email. We can also do SQL Server restoration and bare-metal recovery for operating systems."
  • "Veeam currently lacks features for backing up to network-attached storage. Veeam Backup & Replication agents do not support S3 storage. Only Veeam Backup & Replication server supports S3 storage."

What is our primary use case?

It is for backup and disaster recovery as a service. It is deployed in our data center, and then we sell the service to our customers.

What is most valuable?

The granular restoration that it provides for a business application is most valuable. For example, for Exchange, we can restore a single mailbox or email. We can also do SQL Server restoration and bare-metal recovery for operating systems.

Replication features are very useful for customers. They can recover the services and move from one data center to another.

What needs improvement?

Veeam currently lacks features for backing up to network-attached storage. Veeam Backup & Replication agents do not support S3 storage. Only Veeam Backup & Replication server supports S3 storage.

We have been using this solution for about five years.

Its stability is good. I would rate it an eight out of 10 in terms of stability.

It scales well. I would rate it an eight out of 10 in terms of scalability.

In our infrastructure, we have hundreds of users. Our customers are from many markets, but its users are from their IT department.

I would rate them an eight out of 10.

It is not complex. It is straightforward. We can deploy it to our customers in about 1 to 2 hours or 1 to 2 days. It depends on a customer's infrastructure.

We deploy it ourselves, and we only use support when we have technical issues with the product. We have three engineers for deployment.

It is very difficult to calculate because it is a backup solution. It is not a business service, which makes it very difficult to calculate the ROI.

We are fine with its pricing policy.

We provide service for our customers, and the licensing is on a monthly basis. They get licenses, computer resources, and our support. Everything is included in a single price.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to test this product before buying it. There are many backup products and services, and they have different features and functionalities. We provide our customers a 30-days trial period to test the product for free, and then they can agree or not agree to use this product.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

IT manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Useful solution for data backup replication that could be improved by having a more effective support team
  • "The data backup replication has been the most useful feature. Previously, we copied the data hub to an external hard drive but now we are able to store the backup on one of the depository service."
  • "We struggled to stabilize the application. We had an incident which resulted in a loss of data and have terminated this solution due to lack of support from the Veeam team."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to replicate the SQL server to another site.

How has it helped my organization?

We tried to set up the application from SQL to SQL. We did this for the department, but the process took us almost a year. After we had signed off on the solution we noticed that it was affecting the performance of the SQL.

What is most valuable?

The data backup replication has been the most useful feature. Previously, we copied the data hub to an external hard drive but now we are able to store the backup on one of the depository services.

What needs improvement?

We struggled to stabilize the application. We had an incident which resulted in a loss of data and have terminated this solution due to lack of support from the Veeam team.

I have been using this solution for three months.

We have had issues connecting to the server, specifically connecting to the head office to be on the same network.

We have not tried to scale this solution but it is possible.

Support for this solution could be improved. We have been frustrated getting help via email. When dealing with the support team, they were not knowledgable on the solution and how it works.

The initial setup was complex and required assistance from the team at Veeam. After the installation, the solution does not function as we expected. The deployment took two weeks.

This is an expensive solution and came at a higher cost than expected. We were charged higher prices than shown on the website by partners of Veeam. We were not able to buy a few licences to begin with. We had to buy five licences from the beginning before knowing if the solution worked for us. The initial contract for the solution was not clear on which services were to be paid for and which were free.

What other advice do I have?

We first completed a POC in a test environment which worked well. However, when moving over to a production environment, we experienced some issues.

We would have benefitted from more guidance on what options were available based on our internal systems.

I would rate it a five out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Data Center Administrator at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Enables backup and replication with easy-to-use administration
  • "From my experience, Veeam is very good. Its interface is user-friendly. We can restore it whenever. It's not complicated. It's very easy to manage and administration is very easy."
  • "When you have some small issues, you should be able to go through it by yourself and solve the issue instead of opening the ticket and waiting for the engineers to troubleshoot."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is backup and replication. This solution is a backup, so it is used on-premises.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Veeam should go for a different version of a hypervisor. For example, they are concentrating on Microsoft Hyper-V and on VMware. There are some virtualizations there, like AHV Nutanix. In that case, they need to rebuild application-wise. I checked with an AHV for my personal knowledge, and I couldn't find the same as in the VMware and Hyper-V. It's totally different. It opens with a different port.

They need to do some repository and improve the backup chain and logs. For example, sometimes we still need to call support for small things, and they're looking for the log.

In this case, they need to give some training to the administrators. It should be easy. In this case, there are some knowledge bases. If you go to the Veeam site, you will see the knowledge bases, but there should be a little awareness. Administrator awareness should come up for that, like with the small issues and how you want to replicate. When you have some small issues, you should be able to go through it by yourself and solve the issue instead of opening the ticket and waiting for the engineers to troubleshoot.

It was scalable.

Technical support is amazing.

Veeam is totally different from Veritas when it comes to virtualization and virtual machines. For Veritas, we are just using the standalone, physical servers.

Veritas is good for a small environment. We are taking more backups in Veeam only, and we're only taking some backups in Veritas, which is like a physical server.

The cost is expensive. It will depend on how you are managing your environment, your requirements, and if you can easily manage a license. It's not that difficult, so you can manage it, but the cost is high, so you need to check directly with Veeam as well as the local partner so you can get the discount prices.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 10 out of 10.

Chen Bar Sinai
HR Manager at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Fast restore performance, priced well, and helps us to recover from accidental changes
  • "The most valuable feature is that I can back up the whole machine and then restore it relatively fast."
  • "When you want to restore files, you first need to restore the machine, and then you have to mount it, and then restore the files."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Veeam for SQL and file server backups.

How has it helped my organization?

This product helps because when something has changed that we didn't know about or didn't want to be modified, and we find out about it the following day, we can go back to exactly where we were and when it worked perfectly.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that I can back up the whole machine and then restore it relatively fast. The restore can be done in a few minutes.

What needs improvement?

When you want to restore files, you first need to restore the machine, and then you have to mount it, and then restore the files. I wish it were like Symantec, where I can search for a file and it will give me the latest version, no matter where it is. It could be on tape or on disk, and it still restores the latest version.

We have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for between five and six years.

Veeam has 100% stability and I have had no problems with it.

I have not needed to rely on scalability, although it can scale relatively easily. It is only a matter of licensing. The applicability to different sizes of organizations depends on the use cases.

I haven't had any issues with technical support. I'm using a third-party for support and it is working well. In addition, Veeam checks in with me once a year to ask how things are and see if there is anything that needs to be improved.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

The price of this product is very good. In fact, this is why we acquired it in the first place. It was relatively cheap and also good.

What other advice do I have?

I do not use the entire package with all of the features. However, there is nothing I need that isn't in the product. My advice for anybody who is considering Veeam is that for a small or medium-sized business, it is enough. However, for a larger organization, I would suggest Commvault.

IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, and very stable but needs the automatically check for backups
  • "The product is very simple in its design. We don't need it to perform complicated tasks."
  • "It needs to offer an automatic check for backups."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for backup and replication.

What is most valuable?

It's a very easy solution to use. It's easy for IT teams to manage, however, you don't need any special skills to really wrap your head around the product.

The product is very simple in its design. We don't need it to perform complicated tasks.

We work with the standard version, which is free.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if there was something that could assist you in managing the database more effectively.

It needs to offer an automatic check for backups.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is very stable. We don't have any issues with its reliability. It's bug and glitch-free for the most part. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We've never really tested the scalability of the product. It's my understanding that you can extend service to ten or maybe to 20 machines. It's not complicated to do that. However, I can't speak to its full potential as it relates to scalability.

We only have four people dealing with the product directly in our company.

Technical support is okay. We're satisfied with the level of service we're provided.

The initial implementation is not complex in any way. It's very straightforward.

While we work with the standard version of the solution, if you want to upgrade, the pricing is too high. They could work to make it more affordable for the Polish market. It's too high for most companies to afford. If it was more affordable, it could be more accessible.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Veeam.

We're using the standard version of the solution.

While I'd advise others to look at other companies to compare, I do recommend Veeam. It's my understanding that 60% of IT companies use Veeam. It's very popular.

Overall, I'd rate the solution six out of ten if I were to compare it to other versions of Veeam products. It's an okay solution. If it had an automatic check for backups, I'd rate it much higher.

System Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to set up with good features but file copy jobs result in errors
  • "The initial setup was very easy."
  • "I only ever found one error. It was when we were doing a file copy job. After using it for ten minutes, it would slow down and cause a bottleneck error."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution for backups and replication.

What is most valuable?

For the most part, all of the features are very good.

The initial setup was very easy.

What needs improvement?

I only ever found one error. It was when we were doing a file copy job. After using it for ten minutes, it would slow down and cause a bottleneck error.

It would be ideal if the product can reduce the number of errors we received.

I had been using the solution for about six months or so. It hadn't been that long.

We do seem to get many errors, especially during file copies.

Not too many people are using the solution. It was basically just myself and my colleague, and we were using it in order to evaluate it. It hasn't been used widely yet.

I've never used technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are, having never spoken with them directly. I wouldn't be able to evaluate their services.

Before working with this solution, I did not use any other similar products. In the past, I simply used a bit of HP products for certain tasks.

The initial setup is not complex or too complicated. It's very easy and quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

There is only one license that you can purchase. My colleague was handling the licensing details. I was looking at it more from a technical perspective and therefore can't speak to the pricing or licensing agreements that are possible.

We were basically evaluating Veritas and Veeam. We've just been evaluating both of them.

What other advice do I have?

I used the solution at my previous company. Currently, our organization is considering Veeam and Veritas and we are evaluating both to see which would be best for our company.

I would advise other users to not do file copy jobs from Veeam. It's best to just use it for replication purposes.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten overall.

Data Protection Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution that makes it easy to backup and replicate many central sites and remote sites
  • "If you have a lot of central sites and remote sites, you can easily set up the replication and make it easier."
  • "The reporting feature can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam Backup and Replication for image backups.

What is most valuable?

We use Veeam Explorer for Exchange for single item restores and to restore mailboxes, which is good. With SQL Explorer, you can access SQL, and it's got some good tools that are integrated into the product.

The Veeam physical backups for Windows is good, but I'm not sure about other operating systems. If you have a lot of central sites and remote sites, you can easily set up the replication and make it easier.

What needs improvement?

Veeam Backup and Replication is a very good product, but there's room for improvement. For example, if you have to set up multiple servers, there's a lot of work to configure and set up projects. But once it's set up, it's very easy to manage. I think you have to resize it in the data center, and then it's pretty simple. We can integrate the storage, and you can use data resizing and do a lot more.

The reporting feature can also be improved. Version 10 has come up with a better report, but version 9.4 isn't so good. I mean, it doesn't show whether we can allow customization of reports and more.

I have used Veeam Backup and Replication for one year.

Veeam Backup and Replication is very stable. I haven't faced any problems with it so far.

Their technical support is excellent. Whenever I have contacted Veeam support, they were very good, very helpful, and supportive. Their website is a very good support site as well.

The initial setup is straightforward, and it took us about an hour to deploy.

I'm told that Veeam Backup and Replication is a cost-effective solution, and it's very competitive in terms of pricing. It's cheaper, and it's going to be up ahead of the competitors in terms of pricing by sockets. Compared to other vendors, they're much cheaper, and Veeam is almost everywhere now.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam is very good.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Veeam Backup and Replication an eight.

Consultant at Daniyals Inc
The solution has a straightforward initial setup and comprehensive features, but the Veeam server should have local authentication and not be part of the domain
  • "The good thing about Veeam is that its initial setup and usage are straightforward."
  • "When in a domain, the virus can easily attack the Veeam server, something which happened to us."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for its basic features, such as storage, backup and restoration.

What is most valuable?

While I have not made use of the disaster recovery option myself, I know it to be pretty good.

What needs improvement?

We encountered a ransomware virus issue, after which we made the environment so that the Veeam server is not in a domain, but a local one, and this helped us resolve the issue. As such, Veeam should state that it's best to have the Veeam server in a non-domain environment, for the preventing of any ransomware issues, with local authentication instead.

When in a domain, the virus can easily attack the Veeam server, something which happened to us. Even our own antivirus solution - whose name I wish to withhold - failed to detect this. Ultimately, we had to go for the Microsoft scanner, which actually helped us to rid ourselves of the virus.

While Veeam does provide the latest patches, it states that it is even fine to have a non-domain environment. It should have that frontline statement that the Veeam server should not be part of a domain for best anti-ransomware practices.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for probably around two years.

I did not have personal dealings with tech support. One of the IT managers did.

The solution is simple and easy and there is no need to be an IT architect to deploy it. This can even be handled by an engineer.

The maintenance of the solution for pulling updates is not a big deal. It's manual. It only involves the operation of Veeam agents to the latest version.

What other advice do I have?

I feel the solution's features to be comprehensive, although I did not make use of all of them.

I rate Veeam Backup & Replication as a seven out of ten.

Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.