IT manager at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Stable, easy to install and user-friendly
  • "I'm satisfied with tech support, because the solution is so stable that I haven't had the need to engage any of the engineers yet."
  • "The ability to do more backups should be addressed."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the latest version of the solution.

We use the solution for backing up data to disk.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user-friendly.

There are no surprises when it comes to the licensing, as we are not on the front-end TV licensing model.

What needs improvement?

The ability to do more backups should be addressed. This process would require us to increase the storage or do concurrent backups on tapes, necessitating changing the number of drives that can be used to write on tapes.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for the past four or five years.

Veeam Backup & Replication
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a very good solution. I would recommend it. It's stable and I have not had any issues with it. An issue which we might encounter would involve us running out of space on the tapes. To me, the solution is perfect for use.

I'm satisfied with tech support, because the solution is so stable that I haven't had the need to engage any of the engineers yet. That's the best thing about it.

Prior to going with the solution, I used NetBackup.

Installation is easy and even the management of features is. I rate installation as an eight-point-five or nine out of ten for its ease of use.

The installation was through a third party. It was handled by one of our partners.

When I did a tech refresh, we took out a subscription for the coming five years.

What other advice do I have?

The regulations require that we hold onto the data for several months, so we do the feedback that's on Sands and then move it on tapes. This is why we need to move feedback from the disks to the tapes.

I was pretty surprised by the compression rate, because it does a pretty good job. I would say the only disadvantage that I have on my end is the fact that we are limited in the number of backups that can be run concurrently, in respect of backup tapes, because this is limited by the number of clouds. This is not a commentary on the solution itself, as it has more to do with infrastructure.

The number of backups that can be done concurrently is dependent on our attached hardware. Solution-wise, I would rank the solution as being up there with the best.

As we are responsible for our Veeam backups and service, I would say that the solution is being used by the whole company, around 40 people.

I would definitely recommend this product to others.

I rate Veeam Backup & Replication as a nine out of ten.

Brian Lippold - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Administrator at BROCKPORT CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
An intuitive interface that provides successful backups without needing to tweak or do any adjusting
  • "It has an intuitive interface, and it provides us with successful backups without needing to tweak or do any adjusting. We just set it up and like their ad says, "It Just Works.""
  • "The one downside to Veeam is that they don't have a cloud product of their own."

What is our primary use case?

We're using Veeam for our on-prem backup of VMware vSphere environment and a couple of physical Microsoft servers. We're using version 10 of Backup & Replication.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The one downside to Veeam is that they don't have a cloud product of their own. They partner with people and they support vSphere 7 and our cloud backup doesn't, and neither do many of the cloud backups that they partner with. I've looked at a couple of them. We partner with iland and they don't support version 7. They only support version 6.7.

Iland is our cloud backup and it utilizes Veeam. Veeam supports version 7 of vSphere, so they stay pretty up to date. They lag behind, but everyone lags behind a little bit. Once vSphere VMware does an upgrade, it takes a little while for places to support that upgrade. Of course, we always wait until our backup product supports it. But Veeam does a pretty decent job of keeping a short window, and they're able to support a fairly current version of VMware.

We've been using this solution for two years.

They don't have a dedicated support person for you, like ExaGrid, but their support is decent.

We've used Symantec, Veritas, and Arcserve years ago, and those interfaces were awful. Veeam is hands down the best interface that I've dealt with for a backup solution.

The setup was very straightforward.

I wish Veeam had their own cloud product. We are looking at a company called Infrascale, and I've seen that they have a lot of benefits over the other solutions we've looked at. I also want to look at Unitrends again because it was a pretty good solution when we were using it, but it had some drive failures. Plus, their GUI was all over the place.

With Infrascale, you can boot up your VM in their DR site, just like I can in vSphere, and log into it and look at it. A majority of our VMs are Microsoft Server products, so we could log into it and test that the data is there. That would make it great for testing our backups, which is something we need to do because our New York state auditors require that. It would make it so easy to test the environment, and it's not so easy with Veeam. You need a VMware and a vSphere environment in place to bring those VMs up, but here you don't.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate them a 10 out of 10. They probably have the best product I've ever dealt with.

Veeam Backup & Replication
November 2022
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Atul Dond - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Executive Admin at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
An easy initial setup with technical support and the ability to handle multiple jobs
  • "The initial setup is very easy."
  • "The stability could be better, specifically in the cloud."

What is most valuable?

The VMR is the solution's most valuable aspect.

There is a great catchup backup quality to the solution.

We can have multiple jobs going so long as we have the proper licensing in effect. It's quite helpful.

The initial setup is very easy.

Technical support has been very good. They're helpful.

What needs improvement?

While we used the cloud and on-premises deployment models, on the cloud we found we had some issues and we moved to everything on-premises to counteract that.

The solution needs to fix its incremental sizing. Currently, we are facing an issue with the incremental backup. For example, with a normal user laptop, it is taking a huge amount of incremental backup on a daily basis - more than two, three DBS it is taking place on a daily basis. Much improvement is needed. Though the compression rate is good, what exactly they are backing up on daily basis for such a great extent is unresolved. We want to understand why this is happening.

The stability could be better, specifically in the cloud. We had bad experiences with the cloud. We were using Azure and we found some security issues in terms of ransomware. We relied on the cloud backup, however, the data in the cloud ended up also getting corrupted due to the ransomware. Data security is a huge concern on the cloud, in our experience.

The scalability could be more effective.

I've been using the solution for about two years at this point.

The stability is okay, however, it isn't as stable as we would like it to be. There could be some improvement.

We had issues with ransomware getting into the cloud backup and causing troubles for us. It's not as secure on the cloud as it needs to be.

The scalability could be better. It isn't quite where we need it just yet.

We currently have 20 people using the solution. They are backing up the server time and users.

We've been satisfied with the level of support we get from technical support. They are helpful and responsive. They've been good overall.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very easy and very straightforward. A company should have no trouble with the process of deployment.

The licensing is pretty good. If you have it set up correctly, it allows the solution to take on multiple jobs.

What other advice do I have?

We have experience in both on-premises and cloud deployment models.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. While the on-premises deployment seems to be working well for us, the cloud has given us problems.

Microsoft Azure
Mahdi Bahmani - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
Simple interface for small businesses with poor equipment integration
  • "A simple and stable solution for small businesses that use virtualization."
  • "Integration with other equipment could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider company and have several support contracts with our customers. We try to select the best solution for each of them. In a small environment, we prefer using Veeam Backup. It's useful in many small businesses where they use virtualization.

What is most valuable?

We use Veeam because it's easy to use. The interface is very simple.

What needs improvement?

Integration with the other equipment could be improved. For example, Tape Autoloader integrating with other storage products that are customized for backup solutions, or EMC Data Domain integrating with NetApp storage. Backup solutions today have a critical role in many data centers. We face a lot of malware attacks and ransomware. I think backup solutions are critical and this backup solution should be flexible.

It would be great to work with other solutions and new technologies like Kubernetes, or Docker integrating with private cloud solutions such as Azure, Google, or OpenStack. Veeam is not as efficient as Veritas NetBackup.

We've been using Veeam for more than six or seven years.

It's a stable solution.

If you have a simple environment, Veeam is useful, but when it comes to scalability and you have a more complex environment, it isn't a good solution for advanced customers that want business continuity or have more complex data centers. For example, if you have three data centers and you're looking for replication between them, or you want to replicate your backup, Veeam isn't the most useful.

This solution can be set up without any external support and it can be done in many environments. In general, we didn't have any problems with installation.

Pricing for Veeam is very reasonable compared to Veritas or other products in my care. It suits many customers.

Between Veeam and Veritas Backup, Veritas is a unique product in several aspects. When you want to transfer your data over SAN, backup is needed and the solution in some environments is very important because window time is limited for them. When it's a huge amount of data that takes five or six hours a day to transfer, we have to use the SAN backup feature. In this area, Veeam isn't as good as Veritas NetBackup.

When you want to use this feature with Veeam, you have to share a lot of storage and many customers refuse this way of using the SAN backup feature. You can miss it easily. Many customers prefer compromising their source of data than using a SAN backup. For this reason, like IBM TSM, Veritas is one of the best.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementor
Thiago Souza - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect at Net Place
MSP
Simple and easy to use and manage
  • "One of the most valuable features is the simplicity of the solution's administration."
  • "While the Veeam Backup Replication tool can mostly back up all the data in the environment, the AIX from IBM backup capabilities nowadays could stand improvement as they are not featured on a single pane of glass."

What is our primary use case?

We are familiar with all the versions. As resellers we can sell any version of the solution.

Our use cases involve  Veeam or Hyper V infrastructure. They concern physical servers, Office 365, complete solution specs, a mold self, the Como workloads and Oracle SAP.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the simplicity of the solution's administration. I like its rental capabilities, as well as the backup data, replication abilities, in respect of the current Veeam or the backup servers to the Cloud provider. Disaster recovery is also simple and very easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

While the Veeam Backup Replication tool can mostly back up all the data in the environment, the AIX from IBM backup capabilities nowadays could stand improvement as they are not featured on a single pane of glass. A consultation is required for its administration. As such, the integration of AIX would be welcome.

While Veeam Backup & Replication is a complete solution, it would be nice to have the Veeam server on Linux. The availability of the Server Manager only on Windows installation should be addressed.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for around two or three years.

The solution is stable and allows for ease of use.

The solution is very scalable. Once the license is attended to, there is not much need to concern oneself with new implementations or changes to the installation process. As such the solution is scalable, stable and very friendly to use.

I rate the technical support as a ten out of ten. Veeam boasts a wide documentation forum in which most issues can be resolved. When there is a need to engage their support services, we have found them to be straightforward and very quick to resolve the issue.

Taking into account the setups and boss configurations, the deployment takes from two to three days and is very simple to do. With the right partner it can be accomplished pretty quickly and simply.

Deployment and maintenance involves two or three people. It is quite easy.

We evaluated ARC server and Capizec. We are a reseller and implementation company, so we handle both of these aspects as concerns the software of many different back up tools, but Veeam lags far behind the competition. The others use WAN and are our first choice.

In comparison with Veeam Backup & Replication, the license form and attendant specs of the competitors make things quite easy.

What other advice do I have?

I truly like the solution. It is easy, fast and reliable when it comes to growth.

While our parent company has the solution on-premises, we also sell it as a service, as we are Veeam partners.

We have a variety of client types and sizes.

Chris Childerhose - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Infrastructure Architect at ThinkON
ExpertTop 5
By moving the Veeam server to a physical server and creating a Proxy server on each of the hosts we are able to leverage SAN based backup which is very fast.
  • "Features with the most value are Instant VM Recovery, SQL Explorer and Exchange Explorer."
  • "Physical backup is always where room for improvement could be but Veeam has always stated they are not going in that direction."

What is our primary use case?

Veeam is our primary backup system used with the DD2500 for the repository.  We use Veeam 9.5 Update 3 on a physical Windows 2016 server with Proxy servers deployed 1 per host in our HA Cluster.  We also use the Enterprise Plus licensing for Nimble Snapshot Integration for backups and this allows our backup window to be reduced.

How has it helped my organization?

With moving the Veeam server to a physical server and creating a Proxy server on each of the hosts we are able to leverage SAN based backup which is very fast. Jobs are completed overnight and never run in to the business hours.

What is most valuable?

Features with the most value are Instant VM Recovery, SQL Explorer and Exchange Explorer.  Allowing our Veeam Agents access to the repositories for backups is another big plus.

What needs improvement?

Physical backup is always where room for improvement could be but Veeam has always stated they are not going in that direction, however, with Veeam Endpoint Backup physical server backup is possible.

More than five years.

Stability has always been the best part of Veeam and never has there been an issue with this.

The scalability of Veeam is endless depending on your needs and there were no issues for us.

Customer service is always been top notch and I rate it a 10/10.

Technical support is 10/10. They are always fast with responding to tickets and help you in the best way possible. They even arrange discussions with Architects if you have questions on best practices or environment setup.

We still use Symantec Backup Exec but only due to having physical Exchange 2010 servers. Once we virtualize this will be decommissioned. Having Veeam Endpoint Backup may be the alternate solution to fast track this.

Initial setup was very straightforward and there never seem to be issues with Veeam.

We completed the implementation in-house using local resources.

ROI has been about 6 months.

Be sure as always to evaluate products, get licensing costs, etc.  Choose what is right for your business model.

No other options were evaluated as we knew Veeam was one of the better solutions for Virtual Backup.

What other advice do I have?

Veeam is a great product and always works. The product setup is easy and learning of the product for someone technical is straightforward. I look forward to the improvements in this product as it progresses.

Shane Slosar - PeerSpot reviewer
Shane SlosarCorporate Account Executive

Try Druva, I've heard they have a new DraaS feature and pay only when the DR occurs. I know for sure they don't support Exchange on-prem, but do support O365. https://www.druva.com/products/platform-overview/

Database Administrator / Database Architect at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable and scalable with all the benefits of a virtual machine
  • "The solution offers the normal benefits of a virtual machine versus a physical, actual machine. It doesn't take up space, for example."
  • "It would be ideal if they could capture everything and then timestamp and back up everything up to that timestamp."

What is our primary use case?

I'm not doing anything with the the solution right now. I'm just using them for database purposes. We store databases there and applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution saves our organization some money as we don't need to store to a physical machine.

What is most valuable?

The solution gives me everything which is no physical machine gives, however, it is much easier to relocate to do anything with it.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, when we shut it down, it doesn't properly shut down for us.

If we need to back it up, would be even better if we could do a backup when the files are open and the applications are working. If the solution itself had that capability to backup everything consistently, across all the files, across the system just as we are using the product, then it would have huge benefits, even more than it has today. It would mean that I would not need to purchase any other party third-party products to ensure that my application or my database will work after I back it up and start it up.

It would be ideal if they could capture everything and then timestamp and back up everything up to that timestamp. Then I would not need other products and I could just use this, which would be better.

I'm currently using the solution. I've been using it over the past 12 months at least.

The stability seems to be pretty good. I haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It seems to be reliable.

I'm not sure if we have plans to increase usage. I don't make that decision in the organization.

I have a systems admin who maybe has reached out to technical support in the past. I have not, personally. I find my systems admin quite knowledgeable. When I asked him something, he knows what to do right away. I'm not sure how many cases he's faced, where he did not know the answer and then had to go somewhere to get it.

Therefore, I can't really speak to any knowledge of technical support. I don't know how they are, to be honest.

I don't really handle the installation process. I can't speak to how difficult or easy the implementation process is.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Systems Administration at Camosun College
Reliable, fixes itself, works well with SharePoint, and the support is helpful
  • "It's fairly easy to manage and set up."
  • "The initial setup could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to back up our two VMware sites, and some physical boxes.

Mainly, it is used for our two VM sites at either campus.

It works with the client. We have it on a clustered SQL which works well.

We have local backups at either site, as well as some backups going to an external storage appliance. It gives us information about what is going on.

We are also using replication.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way that our organizations function.

What is most valuable?

It's fairly easy to manage and set up.

Once you get it working, it's fairly reliable and fixes itself. It's pretty good at keeping the backups running.

It works well with SharePoint.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be simplified. It takes a bit to find the documentation.

It takes some time to get through the knowledge base and the changes in the versions over time.

Trying to find everything on how to configure it and set it up can get frustrating in trying to sort it out.

I have been using this solution for three to four years.

I am using version 10.

This solution is stable. Once we have all of the backups working, it never has any issues, except for the server going off, but that is a network issue or during the time that it's self-healing.

It keeps going and keeps running.

It's a scalable solution. I added one. We have a couple of proxies at either campus with one backup server with an enterprise manager on it. It works well.

I am the only person in our organization who is using this solution.

I have used technical support in three or four cases. They were able to help me. They are pretty good. I would rate them a nine out of ten.

We were using Microsoft Data Protection Manager and NetBackup. We decided to go with Veeam after testing it out, as it seemed to work better than the other products we were using.

The initial setup is okay.

It just took a while to try to sort out what is going on with it.

What other advice do I have?

Review the documentation and their knowledge base on how to set it up and configure it.

It takes a bit to get it sorted out and to figure it out, but once you get it working it just keeps working.

I would rate Veeam Backup Replication a nine out of ten.

Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022