We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Alexey Parakhnevich
IT Engineer at Softline
MSP
User-friendly and quite stable with a straightforward setup
  • "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
  • "Although the solution offers documentation, it has it only in English, which doesn't help us much in Belarus."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veeam in our company for demo purposes to present to our clients and our customers. We have some keys in production implementation in the production environment, in our clients' infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a very convenient instant crypto machine. It's great for virtual machine recovery, mass storage, data immigration, restoring backups of physical service to mutual environments, et cetera.

Some features of Veeam will work in cloud environments, such as Azure.

The solution is extremely user-friendly.

Overall, the product has proven to be quite stable.

The solution has extensive documentation.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I just started working with version 11 in January and I am still looking at the changes. I haven't come across areas of the solution that are lacking just yet. I still need to explore it more.

Although the solution offers documentation, it has it only in English, which doesn't help us much in Belarus. It would be much more helpful if they provided their documentation in multiple languages.

The backup jobs and the scheduled tuning are not as convenient as compared to a solution such as Data Protector. They should work on these aspects to make them more convenient.

Veeam can not do some backup jobs. yOu can only arrange it on a daily basis and no more than that. You can't, for example, do a backup twice in one day, even if you need to.

I've been working with the solution for a while. I just started using the latest version in January.

The stability of the solution is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's excellent.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We've never had to open a ticket for Veeam. I've never dealt with technical support directly. I can't speak to how knowledgable or responsive they are.

Up until two years ago, I worked with Micro Focus Data Protector, version 9.5. It's more for enterprises and has more capabilities for working with tape libraries, replication between the sites, data trends, or working with virtual tape libraries, and so on. It is more expensive, however, in comparison to Veeam.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It's rather straightforward. Specifically, when it comes to small environments, deployment is very easy. You don't have to be overly skilled to do an implementation.

I don't know the exact pricing of the software. I can't speak to its direct costs.

I haven't properly evaluated Commvault, however, I've attended webinars on the solution and have a bit of familiarity with it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an integrator. Our organization is a Gold Partner with Veeam.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's pretty good.

Enterprise Chief Infrastructure Hosting & Cloud Architect with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good support, easy to set up, stable, and the on-premises version is doing a good job
  • "They provide good technical support and we are satisfied with the support we have received."
  • "The Cloud version is not ready, they need maturity and ease of deployment in terms of management."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to back up all of the critical VMs and the critical server. It's applied on the server.

What is most valuable?

It's doing a good job.

What needs improvement?

Azure Cloud version support requires improvement. The on-premises is doing well.

I don't think that it is really ready.

Ideally, the cloud version and the on-premises version can be managed through the same interface, but that is not the case with their cloud-native implementation. The cloud-native solution is completely disconnected from the on-premise solution. This is an area that needs to improve.

When we started to talk to them about the cloud, we were under the impression that it's was going to be the same console, and everything would be the same, but that is not the case.

The cloud offering as a SaaS and the integration with the cloud providers. We work with Azure, and I think they need better integration with Azure.

Also, the consolidation between the on-premises solution and those going to the cloud should have the same user experience. That will allow them to manage two environments in the same place. That would be a very good feature to offer, and it would be helpful.

If they could offer that feature it would probably put them ahead of their competitors.

We have been using Veeam Backup & Replication in our organization for approximately six years.

It is very stable.

It's scalable.

We have a maximum of five users who system administrators. They are managing this solution and operating it.

I am not aware of what the organization had in place before I arrive. Veeam Backup & Replication was already in place before I arrived.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I was not a part of the on-premises deployment, so I am not sure how long it took. I don't have an answer for that.

We don't require any staff to maintain this solution.

We had the help of a reseller and the experience was good.

I don't know what the costs are for sure, but I think that it's on a yearly basis.

I don't think there are any costs in addition to the standard licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

In the near future, we will deploy the cloud version.

I would rate the Veeam Backup Replication on-premises version a ten out of ten, and for the Cloud version specifically with Azure, I would rate them a four out of ten.

I don't know how it performs with other Cloud providers.

Learn what your peers think about Veeam Backup & Replication. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
The incremental backup feature and the stability are perfect
  • "One of the most valuable features is the incremental backup. It is, of course, perfect because you have a lot of restore points, but you don't need all the space. The stability is also perfect."
  • "The only improvement I could think of is it could be cheaper—cheaper is always good. Sometimes the product is just finished. Cheaper is always nice for the customer, but the company needs to benefit so that they can keep maintaining the product. New Windows versions, etc., always take some work. At the moment, I wouldn't switch to another solution because of the money."

What is our primary use case?

Veeam Backup & Replication is useful for disaster recovery. Apart from that, it happens now and again that you make a mistake somewhere, and you have to go back to a previous state of a machine.

I work with both on-premise and a mixed environment.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The only improvement I could think of is it could be cheaper—cheaper is always good. Sometimes the product is just finished. Cheaper is always nice for the customer, but the company needs to benefit so that they can keep maintaining the product. New Windows versions, etc., always take some work. At the moment, I wouldn't switch to another solution because of the money.

I have been using this solution for about four years now.

The stability is perfect.

I've never had a problem with scalability. I've got very big environments, but the biggest problem with Backup could be that you need a lot of space and you don't have that with Veeam.

We have contacted technical support a few times and they reacted fine.

We switched to Veeam a long time ago because it just works better. We get more consistent backups of our backup software. The previous backups gave us problems and Veeam just doesn't—it just works.

The initial setup is really easy. I don't remember the timeframe because it was too long ago, but with a new product, you always have to do a bit of reading. If I were to implement Veeam in a new network, I would guess I'd be done in the morning, no more than that.

There are two or three people in our organization using this solution. As far as a technical team, you need to be aware of the systems youʻre backing up. If you're backing up SQL service or exchange service, then you need to know about your SQL server, but basic Windows knowledge and knowledge of the applications youʻre backing up are all you need to know.

With this one, we had one side set up by an integrator and the other, I did myself. If you are going to implement it, do a bit of reading yourself or let somebody who knows what they're doing do it for you, or do it together.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Veeam Backup & Replication a nine and a half out of ten. I absolutely recommend Veeam Backup & Replication. I have been looking at a competitor lately and they seem to do the same thing as the vendors, however they were a lot cheaper, but we just couldn't get it to work.

Vivath  Chan
Head Data Center and Cloud Infrastructure Unit at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reliable but could use enhancements
  • "The most valuable feature is how reliable Veeam Backup is. It has the normal expected features that allow you to ensure that everything is backed up completely."
  • "Veeam Backup is not enhanced. There aren't any enhancements yet and they are still using traditional methods for snapshots and to perform the backup, like many other vendors. Another improvement would be simplifying and integrating their software."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for VM backups. We have more than 500 VMs to backup completely every day, which is quite a big backup, and we run it incrementally. This solution is deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Veeam Backup is not enhanced. There aren't any enhancements yet and they are still using traditional methods for snapshots and to perform the backup, like many other vendors. I've noticed this has an impact on the performance. We run hundreds or thousands of VM backups in the same night. Most software don't have a SMAC algorithm to schedule the backup and improve performance for the production environment. They just randomly create. In order to perform big backups at one time, we have to invest in storage.

Another improvement would be simplifying and integrating their software. I have one app for VM backups, another for file backups, and another for implications, so I have to implement three platforms in one organization. This is quite difficult. The implementation process could be simplified, in regard to VM files and replication.

I have been using this solution for more than four years.

This is a stable product. It rarely requires maintenance and I rarely deal with backup files that are gone or cannot be restored because of software bugs.

This solution is easy to scale.

The response time is quite slow and I have complained many times. But their technical skill is quite good. For most customers, the technical support should depend on the SLA that they have, but support doesn't always respect that. Sometimes they respond to us within the SLA, but after we reply, we have to wait around one day for another email.

We implemented through an in-house team. There are two administrators for maintenance.

Overall, I'm not happy with the pricing. The price could be improved. Every year, most vendors try to increase the price. It says it's being upgraded, but there's no improvement. The product stays the same, but the licensing costs are increasing.

I have also used Zerto for POC. I found that Veeam is good for backups, but it has a limitation. It's good for VM backups, but can be quite challenging for file backups and replication. Zerto is different, in that it's good for replication and it's simpler to use. The license is quite expensive though.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking into implementing this solution, I advise you to make a POC, understand your requirements, and make sure the solution you choose can provide what you want.

I rate Veeam Backup an eight out of ten.

Brian Lippold
Network Administrator at BROCKPORT CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
An intuitive interface that provides successful backups without needing to tweak or do any adjusting
  • "It has an intuitive interface, and it provides us with successful backups without needing to tweak or do any adjusting. We just set it up and like their ad says, "It Just Works.""
  • "The one downside to Veeam is that they don't have a cloud product of their own."

What is our primary use case?

We're using Veeam for our on-prem backup of VMware vSphere environment and a couple of physical Microsoft servers. We're using version 10 of Backup & Replication.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The one downside to Veeam is that they don't have a cloud product of their own. They partner with people and they support vSphere 7 and our cloud backup doesn't, and neither do many of the cloud backups that they partner with. I've looked at a couple of them. We partner with iland and they don't support version 7. They only support version 6.7.

Iland is our cloud backup and it utilizes Veeam. Veeam supports version 7 of vSphere, so they stay pretty up to date. They lag behind, but everyone lags behind a little bit. Once vSphere VMware does an upgrade, it takes a little while for places to support that upgrade. Of course, we always wait until our backup product supports it. But Veeam does a pretty decent job of keeping a short window, and they're able to support a fairly current version of VMware.

We've been using this solution for two years.

They don't have a dedicated support person for you, like ExaGrid, but their support is decent.

We've used Symantec, Veritas, and Arcserve years ago, and those interfaces were awful. Veeam is hands down the best interface that I've dealt with for a backup solution.

The setup was very straightforward.

I wish Veeam had their own cloud product. We are looking at a company called Infrascale, and I've seen that they have a lot of benefits over the other solutions we've looked at. I also want to look at Unitrends again because it was a pretty good solution when we were using it, but it had some drive failures. Plus, their GUI was all over the place.

With Infrascale, you can boot up your VM in their DR site, just like I can in vSphere, and log into it and look at it. A majority of our VMs are Microsoft Server products, so we could log into it and test that the data is there. That would make it great for testing our backups, which is something we need to do because our New York state auditors require that. It would make it so easy to test the environment, and it's not so easy with Veeam. You need a VMware and a vSphere environment in place to bring those VMs up, but here you don't.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate them a 10 out of 10. They probably have the best product I've ever dealt with.

IT manager at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Stable, easy to install and user-friendly
  • "I'm satisfied with tech support, because the solution is so stable that I haven't had the need to engage any of the engineers yet."
  • "The ability to do more backups should be addressed."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the latest version of the solution.

We use the solution for backing up data to disk.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user-friendly.

There are no surprises when it comes to the licensing, as we are not on the front-end TV licensing model.

What needs improvement?

The ability to do more backups should be addressed. This process would require us to increase the storage or do concurrent backups on tapes, necessitating changing the number of drives that can be used to write on tapes.

I have been using Veeam Backup & Replication for the past four or five years.

It's a very good solution. I would recommend it. It's stable and I have not had any issues with it. An issue which we might encounter would involve us running out of space on the tapes. To me, the solution is perfect for use.

I'm satisfied with tech support, because the solution is so stable that I haven't had the need to engage any of the engineers yet. That's the best thing about it.

Prior to going with the solution, I used NetBackup.

Installation is easy and even the management of features is. I rate installation as an eight-point-five or nine out of ten for its ease of use.

The installation was through a third party. It was handled by one of our partners.

When I did a tech refresh, we took out a subscription for the coming five years.

What other advice do I have?

The regulations require that we hold onto the data for several months, so we do the feedback that's on Sands and then move it on tapes. This is why we need to move feedback from the disks to the tapes.

I was pretty surprised by the compression rate, because it does a pretty good job. I would say the only disadvantage that I have on my end is the fact that we are limited in the number of backups that can be run concurrently, in respect of backup tapes, because this is limited by the number of clouds. This is not a commentary on the solution itself, as it has more to do with infrastructure.

The number of backups that can be done concurrently is dependent on our attached hardware. Solution-wise, I would rank the solution as being up there with the best.

As we are responsible for our Veeam backups and service, I would say that the solution is being used by the whole company, around 40 people.

I would definitely recommend this product to others.

I rate Veeam Backup & Replication as a nine out of ten.

Atul Dond
Sr. Executive Admin at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
An easy initial setup with technical support and the ability to handle multiple jobs
  • "The initial setup is very easy."
  • "The stability could be better, specifically in the cloud."

What is most valuable?

The VMR is the solution's most valuable aspect.

There is a great catchup backup quality to the solution.

We can have multiple jobs going so long as we have the proper licensing in effect. It's quite helpful.

The initial setup is very easy.

Technical support has been very good. They're helpful.

What needs improvement?

While we used the cloud and on-premises deployment models, on the cloud we found we had some issues and we moved to everything on-premises to counteract that.

The solution needs to fix its incremental sizing. Currently, we are facing an issue with the incremental backup. For example, with a normal user laptop, it is taking a huge amount of incremental backup on a daily basis - more than two, three DBS it is taking place on a daily basis. Much improvement is needed. Though the compression rate is good, what exactly they are backing up on daily basis for such a great extent is unresolved. We want to understand why this is happening.

The stability could be better, specifically in the cloud. We had bad experiences with the cloud. We were using Azure and we found some security issues in terms of ransomware. We relied on the cloud backup, however, the data in the cloud ended up also getting corrupted due to the ransomware. Data security is a huge concern on the cloud, in our experience.

The scalability could be more effective.

I've been using the solution for about two years at this point.

The stability is okay, however, it isn't as stable as we would like it to be. There could be some improvement.

We had issues with ransomware getting into the cloud backup and causing troubles for us. It's not as secure on the cloud as it needs to be.

The scalability could be better. It isn't quite where we need it just yet.

We currently have 20 people using the solution. They are backing up the server time and users.

We've been satisfied with the level of support we get from technical support. They are helpful and responsive. They've been good overall.

The initial setup is not complex. It's very easy and very straightforward. A company should have no trouble with the process of deployment.

The licensing is pretty good. If you have it set up correctly, it allows the solution to take on multiple jobs.

What other advice do I have?

We have experience in both on-premises and cloud deployment models.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. While the on-premises deployment seems to be working well for us, the cloud has given us problems.

Microsoft Azure
MahdiBahmani
Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
Simple interface for small businesses with poor equipment integration
  • "A simple and stable solution for small businesses that use virtualization."
  • "Integration with other equipment could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider company and have several support contracts with our customers. We try to select the best solution for each of them. In a small environment, we prefer using Veeam Backup. It's useful in many small businesses where they use virtualization.

What is most valuable?

We use Veeam because it's easy to use. The interface is very simple.

What needs improvement?

Integration with the other equipment could be improved. For example, Tape Autoloader integrating with other storage products that are customized for backup solutions, or EMC Data Domain integrating with NetApp storage. Backup solutions today have a critical role in many data centers. We face a lot of malware attacks and ransomware. I think backup solutions are critical and this backup solution should be flexible.

It would be great to work with other solutions and new technologies like Kubernetes, or Docker integrating with private cloud solutions such as Azure, Google, or OpenStack. Veeam is not as efficient as Veritas NetBackup.

We've been using Veeam for more than six or seven years.

It's a stable solution.

If you have a simple environment, Veeam is useful, but when it comes to scalability and you have a more complex environment, it isn't a good solution for advanced customers that want business continuity or have more complex data centers. For example, if you have three data centers and you're looking for replication between them, or you want to replicate your backup, Veeam isn't the most useful.

This solution can be set up without any external support and it can be done in many environments. In general, we didn't have any problems with installation.

Pricing for Veeam is very reasonable compared to Veritas or other products in my care. It suits many customers.

Between Veeam and Veritas Backup, Veritas is a unique product in several aspects. When you want to transfer your data over SAN, backup is needed and the solution in some environments is very important because window time is limited for them. When it's a huge amount of data that takes five or six hours a day to transfer, we have to use the SAN backup feature. In this area, Veeam isn't as good as Veritas NetBackup.

When you want to use this feature with Veeam, you have to share a lot of storage and many customers refuse this way of using the SAN backup feature. You can miss it easily. Many customers prefer compromising their source of data than using a SAN backup. For this reason, like IBM TSM, Veritas is one of the best.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementor
Download our free Veeam Backup & Replication Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.