We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Symantec Secure Web Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Secure Web Gateway is #12 ranked solution in top Web Security Gateways. PeerSpot users give Symantec Secure Web Gateway an average rating of 6 out of 10. Symantec Secure Web Gateway is most commonly compared to Cisco Umbrella: Symantec Secure Web Gateway vs Cisco Umbrella. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is Symantec Secure Web Gateway?

Complete Website Security goes far beyond encryption to deliver protection for websites, data and applications—with 24/7 control that helps to mitigate risk and helps to ensure uninterrupted performance for every website. Multi-layered security and controls make our certificate issuance and authentication processes one of the most rigorous in the industry. Automated management pinpoints certificate and website weaknesses due to unexpected expirations, flawed installations, deprecation and critical vulnerabilities in the event of attacks. Meanwhile, Symantec’s unified security identifies worldwide security vulnerabilities, delivers real-time analytics and helps our customers to protect against damage 24/7. It's why we've become the name people trust.

Symantec Secure Web Gateway was previously known as Symantec Complete Website Security .

Symantec Secure Web Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Symantec Secure Web Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Symantec Secure Web Gateway Video

Archived Symantec Secure Web Gateway Reviews (more than two years old)

NishantKamath
Sr. Consultant, Cyber Security at Mideast Data Systems
Good URL filtering features but lacks features compared to the competition
  • "In terms of most valuable features, I like the ICAP capability and URL filtering the most."
  • "Depending on the severity of the issue, I think they can be a bit slow - a few days for the low severity cases, but for the severe cases normally they contact you back in a couple of hours."

What is our primary use case?

It is a web-based proxy - it's a cloud proxy.

Its use case is mostly for customers who need URL filtering, who need a proxy for blocking access to different websites, and ICAP if the proxy supports it.

The functionality is exactly the as same as ProxySG, Symantec's Blue Coat on-prem proxy, but the benefit is that the infrastructure doesn't have to be managed. You don't have to patch it, you don't have to do anything.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the most valuable features, I like the ICAP capability and URL filtering the most - these are what most people look for when they look at a proxy, whether on the cloud or on-premise. The authentication is also valuable.

What needs improvement?

They should have a tool to help with the deployment. It is needed to point all the clients to the proxy.

I don't think either vendor has a deployment tool as such.

Also, Zscaler has something called the Zscaler Internet Access which also acts as a signin box on the next-generation firewall. WSS doesn't do this.

For website security, I worked with it for only a year when I was in Symantec. We supported a few customers who had purchased this product.

In terms of stability, it's fine. We have never had downtime because availability is AWS' responsibility because it is hosted on their servers. So availability is not an issue.

I have never had any issues with scalability or availability because both are using a good back-end infrastructure.

I used to be a part of Symantec so I did work in tech support. Even as a partner, I've been contacting them.

Their technical support is okay. Depending on the severity of the issue, I think they can be a bit slow - a few days for the low severity cases, but for the severe cases normally they contact you back in a couple of hours.

The configuration is pretty straightforward for both vendors. It's plug and play. Because they give you access to the cloud console, as soon as you log in you can get started. If you have all the clients pointing to the cloud proxy then it's just plug and play.

What other advice do I have?

Symantec Complete Website Security works similar to Zscaler, but I think Zscaler is better. For a web-based proxy, I think Zscaler would be my top choice, based on the feedback I have personally received from my customers. The problem with Complete Website Security is with the dot com transition and dealing with Symantec is becoming a problem right now. I think it will be okay in February but for now, I think Zscaler is the best cloud proxy.

On a scale of 1 - 10, I'd rate it a six or seven due to a lack of features compared to its competition.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
DonaldBaldwin
Principal Enterprise Architect at Aurenav Sweden AB
We can see what's happening in machines at different locations but it's hard to understand the generic alerts
  • "It's nice to have it in the cloud where we can pull the reporting together for it so we can see what's happening in machines at different locations."
  • "It needs to be easier to set up rules for what sites it should allow or not allow us in certain areas of our computer for programs. It would also be nice really nice to have it give you better information about what it's finding. A lot of the alerts we get are very difficult to understand what it's actually telling you. It's too generic."

What is our primary use case?

We manage it through the cloud and it's deployed that way too.

Our primary use case is for our signature-based tool for antivirus. It adds value.

What is most valuable?

It's nice to have it in the cloud where we can pull the reporting together for it so we can see what's happening in machines at different locations. That's the most valuable feature. We have it all over so we can see if something had gone wrong with it.

What needs improvement?

One of the problems with using Symantec is that it's widely known and the people who are making malware have designed to circumvent it. You have to keep that in mind. The other thing that I find is a weakness is that it doesn't give you a statement so you don't have an ability to really test something to see if something's suspicious because if it is, it might have a payload that could disable Symantec and get through it. I'm always more concerned about that. This is one of the reasons we separate it from our Comodo.

It needs to be easier to set up rules for what sites it should allow or not allow us in certain areas of our computer for programs. It would also be nice really nice to have it give you better information about what it's finding. A lot of the alerts we get are very difficult to understand what it's actually telling you. It's too generic.

I have been using Symantec for many years.

It is stable.

We don't have any problems with scalability. We have around 40 users. The IT department of three people is responsible for deployment and maintenance. They are a network admin and in security.

Their technical support is so-so.

We have used a few different solutions before, like McAfee. There are several that we're using concurrently. Even right now we have some different sections in the company that use different products. We switched because we wanted to standardize our business administration and corporate functions.

We used IT people for the deployment so we didn't have any problems with the setup. The deployment doesn't take long. You just click on a link and it's pretty much fine.

What other advice do I have?

For general business purposes this is a good product. It works on Windows platforms. If you need something on other platforms, you may need to look for something else.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Symantec Secure Web Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,780 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Logistics Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has quarantined and stopped many threats and potential attacks on end users but there's a need for increased firewall functionality
  • "The most valuable feature is the endpoint security."
  • "There's a need for increased firewall functionality and capabilities. I'm not seeing a competitive Symantec cloud product. Specifically, functionalities with security as filtering from the cloud. I am aware that there is a product, a proxy in the cloud but I have compared it with other vendors and I don't find it that powerful. I think the worst thing that we're experiencing is very poor and inadequate technical support. It seems to me that tech support engineers aren't qualified to fulfill their job duties."

What is our primary use case?

Our company is both a partner and a reseller of this solution. The primary use case is for endpoint security for our customers. We have lots of security devices, but for the host itself or PCs in general, this is the best solution. Especially since we have a sizeable customer base.

How has it helped my organization?

There have been several incidents in which our IPS system or sometimes our firewalls, haven't been able to stop endpoint device attacks. Thanks to Symantec Endpoint Security it has actually quarantined and stopped many of these threats and potential attacks on the local PCs. Especially because that's from the end user side.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the endpoint security.

What needs improvement?

The major requirement is a firewall. That's the only thing we're lacking now.

More than five years.

There are too many bugs.

The scalability is poor. Nowadays a cloud solution is considered scalable in most respects. Our finding is Symantec still has a long way to go to achieve a good cloud solution.

The technical support is not that apt and not that good.

We've tried other endpoint security solutions but this tool seems to be the best when specifically comparing the endpoint security features.

The initial setup depends on the complexity of the project.

The maintenance of the equipment requires about thirty techs.

Pricing and licensing is stunted and licensing is expensive. We have many customers who are now thinking about other solutions due to the cost.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, with one being the worst and ten being the best, I'd give this solution a six out of ten. Primarily because of the lack of flexibility with technical support and because of the out-of-date features resulting in missing functionalities.

it_user592344
Desktop And Telephony Support Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The admin GUI is user friendly and easy to manage. Sometimes, Credential ID does not register a device.

What is most valuable?

From a user’s perspective, ease-of-use is what separates it from others like RSA SecurID. It is very easy to download to mobile phones, laptops, and desktops of any platform. From the admin’s perspective, its GUI is very user friendly and easy to manage.

How has it helped my organization?

When using Symantec VIP, not much configuration is needed in order for it to work. It works in any platform, including macOS. In our case, we just simply download and install the application online, install Citrix Receiver and that’s it. You are good to go.

What needs improvement?

The Credential ID part where you need to register it: Sometimes, it does not register a device, for some reason. As a workaround, we register it for our users from the Symantec VIP Manager portal.

I have used this product since 2014.

We have had no stability issues so far.

We have had no scalability issues so far.

Personally, I have never coordinated with Symantec VIP technical support in my two years of using it. So, I can’t rate it as of yet.

We used to use RSA SecurID. The solution is, in my personal terms, very “toxic” to use. It was not a choice made by myself to switch to Symantec VIP Manager, but I believe an accumulation of disappointment with the other solution made the team switch over to a better one.

The setup was done in collaboration by our Infrastructure and Desktop Management teams. I cannot really tell as to what happened during its initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

The product will not disappoint. Go for it!